• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Seeking Shelter from the Storm! (817)

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I wasn't expecting the episode to be so sad. As many others I thought this was going to be a generic funny hunted house episode but it had a sad twist and I welcome that emotional depth.

Great episode. On to the next one!

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
What a surprise. I watched this dub episode to get a better feeling for it. And I did. Now that I watched it dubbed and know what everyone's saying I like this episode even more now. Though I think Espurr sounds cuter in the original. Clemont's excuses for the weird stuff going on and blaming it all on science was spot on! Serena in full on fear mode and just saying whatever is on her mind was spot on and I enjoyed being able to understand her. Bonnie was still the little show stealer that she always is and all in all it was a enjoyable episode to watched dubbed.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
So I managed to watch the dub version of this episode....

I was VERY surprised that "Passed Away" was mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is probably the first time in YEARS that the English dub implies the death of someone. I was expecting it to be censored, but that scene alone shocked me on so many levels. It keeps all the sadness of the original, which is something I respect dearly.

This episode is one of the very few times the dub took me by complete surprise. And that doesn't happen often.

halloweenghost

loved it! Great episode. I've always loved these spooky episodes in Pokemon. So far this is my favorite episode on this gen. plus it was the first of the series to make me tear up :)

It was nice and touching and sad that Lacy had passed.. at first I thought they were going to either have her still alive,.. or skirt the issue and just gad the granddaughter to to take espurr to her..but they didn';t.. and I'm glad.

one thing though Espurr's cry i kept thinking of Staraptor since it sounded similar in the rrrrrrrr part.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Oh my gosh. This episode hit me in the heart of the feels. What a great episode, especially, for both cute humor and deep story.

Serena was amusing to me, when she was trying to keep her mouth shut. xD And also mentioning vampire. I don't think I have seen this show mention vampires or Dracula since the first season.

Espurr's story was, just breath taking. Even if Meowth is antagonistic and of Team Rocket, he really is useful when translating Pokemon. It's been his signature thing for the longest time.

Even I knew that the old lady would have passed away, given the flashbacks of her ill condition. The show gets kudos for not censoring something like this. Especially, when a lot of people can relate to a tragic story such as this.

4Kids made hold my nostalgia, but the XY anime (as well as DP) still gives me a lot of good memories. TPCi has it's moments, too.

Nyter

Island Challenger
Serena and the story MADE this episode.
Out of all the haunted house episodes Pokemon has had, this one has become my favorite.
I loved Serena in this episode. I still haven't got her niche like Misty and Iris did.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
After seeing the dub, I can securely say this is one of my favourites of XY. A nice blend of humour in Clemont's panicked explanations and Team Rocket terrified of the mansion + the emotional component of someone dying. The only thing I found odd was Bonnie not being afraid, but I suppose she had to be curious for the plot to happen.

Eh...didn't touch me, honestly. TR was a lot more bearable than usual, thankfully, but the twerps...something didn't feel natural between them for some reason. I won't rate it because I just don't know how exactly I feel: this episode is certainly not as good as what people are making it out to be to me, anyway.

Sarah Natochenny as Ash was...everywhere, really, in her performance as the character. She went from her BW voice (okay) to her DP voice (bad) to her BW voice (okay) to her DP voice (bad) and occasionally into something unreal as far as the English dub goes...that laugh is still also just so incredibly fake that she does...didn't make me feel anything.

Sure, the old lady dying was tragic and all, but for some reason, didn't touch me the way it should have-- writers' execution of the tragedy wasn't done very well in the ORG JPN Version itself.

I don't see why the English dub saying that someone or something was "passing away" is such a big deal all of a sudden: the dub has said "he's/she's/it's gone" or "you can't die" before in the 4Kids dub as well, and in prior seasons of the TPCi dub, so what's the big deal again here? Heck, if they really wanted to beat around the bush less, they could have outright said she "died" as well.

N/A

Last edited:

zhixun

Too bad for an old lady died and left Nyasper lonely. I love the way that Eureka and Dedenne to play with the Pokémon. Just wonder how long is the life span of a Pokémon by watching this episode because I have never seen a Pokémon died in the anime.

thunder2910

Loves pizza
Too bad for an old lady died and left Nyasper lonely. I love the way that Eureka and Dedenne to play with the Pokémon. Just wonder how long is the life span of a Pokémon by watching this episode because I have never seen a Pokémon died in the anime.

Well marowak did die by team rocket, but that was in Origins.

NPT

Just a member
"Seeking Shelter from the Storm!"

At first I thought this is another "mischievous Ghost Pokémon" episode, but I was wrong! It all started with the gang seeking shelter from the storm in an old and abandoned mansion, just like the Litwick mansion episode from BW. After entering the mansion, the lights turned on without Clemont having to turn them them on and the doors closed behind them. From this point, the group interactions between Ash and co. started to get funny. LOL at Clemont getting freaked out and trying to rationalize the creepy situations with his scientific explanations. Clemont was trying to pretend that he wasn't scared at all, but it's pretty obvious he really was scared of the situation.

Then there was Serena. She kept saying random creepy stuff, making Ash and Clemont shiver in fear, and then quickly covering her mouth, not realizing what she just said. :D Her comment about someone pounding a stake to stop a vampire was hilarious, I think that's the best creepy assumption she made in this episode.

It's ironic how Serena, Ash and Clemont were scared of the situation .... but Bonnie wasn't! Sure, Bonnie did get scared by the lightning bolt at the beginning, but she didn't get scared by Serena’s haunting assumptions,
or the mysterious sounds. She just ran off and chased that Espurr through the haunted house like it was no big deal. Bonnie may be just a kid, but she's a courageous kid. Nice to see some interactions between Bonnie and Espurr, they were adorable.

Even Team Rocket was entertaining for most of the episode. I thought it was funny how they kept getting scared by the lights/creepy sounds. TRio being warped up in sheets and stammering while trying to recite their motto was funny as well. Speaking of funny, it was hilarious when the main gang accused them for taking Bonnie and Jessie responded by saying "What's a Bonnie?". This proves Team Rocket dosen't know Bonnie's name at all, but that's not a big deal in my opinion. Meowth did a good job transletting Espurr's backstory, but then TRio tried to catch Espurr .... causing it to sent them flying. I think TRio just wanted to get out of the mansion, that's why they attacked Espurr so it could sent them flying. They seemed rather happy after getting blasted off by Espurr.

Espurr's backstory was sad. The Pokémon played with Grandma Lacy and even picked her a flower only to find out she passed away. Sigh... I knew something was wrong with Grandma Lacy when she was breathing like that, but I wasn't expecting her to pass away. To be honest, It was very depressing. :(

Espurr seemed sad after hearing the news of Grandma Lacy's death from Ellise. After waiting so long for Lacy to return, it must've been hard for Espurr. Oh well, at least Espurr got someone else (Ellise) to play with. It was nice of Ellise to take Espurr with her to the cemetery, and letting Espurr keep the pendant was genuiely touching.

Overall, this is one of the best episodes of XY so far. It started of being spooky and funny, but became deeply emotional near the end. The animation was great, and the old mansion was nicely detailed. As for the English dub, I am dissapointed with TPCI replacing the cool music from the games. TPCI kept a decent amount of original music in the dub of XY013, but this time they overused their dub music again! Also, what's up with TPCI replacing the cool horror-themed title card with a standard title card focusing on Ash? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a title card focusing on Bonnie? Oh well, at least they stayed faithful to the episode's plot. I'm glad Ellise's mention of Grandma Lacy passing away was kept intact in the dub.

Never did I think I would ever hear the words 'passed' and 'away' used together in this show.
In the past, the writers would have just found some other way to imply somebody died.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
In the XY saga's early run, Seeking Shelter from the Storm! is undoubtedly one of its strongest episodes. Our heroes, as well as Team Rocket, are caught in a heavy rainstorm and seek shelter inside a large mansion where no one appears to be home. Some creepy stuff starts to go down as the doors and windows are shut tight from the inside, leaving the house guests scared out of their wits and without escape. What makes this week's Pokemon installment so enthralling is its effective use of emotion, as it is able to smoothly transition from ominous to light-hearted to melancholy in tone. Espurr's actions invoke a spooky vibe at first, but that soon disappears once we see Espurr's playful interactions with Bonnie. The episodes closes on a sad but sweet note, as Espurr's elderly friend had passed away but it gains a new friend in the process. There were some laughs to be had too, such as with Clemont's desperate attempts to explain away the weird happenings in the house with science; Serena's imagination-infused slip-ups also made for a nice gag.

The episode really started to shine when we were presented with Espurr's backstory. It turns out that Espurr had been good friends with the house's previous owner, an elderly woman named Lacy, who had loaned Espurr her cherished pendant. When Espurr came back to return it, she was gone. Espurr had kept Ash & Co. and Team Rocket in the house so that they could help it find the whereabouts of Lacy, who had left Espurr with a beautiful pendant. Without any leads, it seems like a lost cause until Lacy's granddaughter, Elise, arrives at the mansion. She reveals that Lacy had passed away and that the mansion was set to be torn down soon, but upon hearing Espurr's story she decides to refurbish the mansion and live there. This ending left me in a mild state of shock--it is extremely rare to witness the Pokemon anime actually reference death, let alone utilize death in a way that produces emotion from its characters and, consequently, the viewing audience. I honestly welled up a bit while watching the sweet, innocent Espurr hear of its friend's passing. The final scene of the episode is perhaps even more emotionally powerful, as Elise drives Espurr to her grandmother's place of rest and gives Espurr back the pendant. Espurr also carries a beautiful, purple flower, which it will place at Lacy's grave; the flower likely represents Espurr's newfound hope, as it will now move on and have Lacy's granddaughter as a friend.

This episode excelled in its setting, mood, story progression, and message. Death is a sad process that we all find difficult to deal with, but we move on by maintaining hope; death also has a way of bringing other people together to strengthen or create new bonds, as seen with Espurr and Elise. The weather is also symbolic: rain is often used to represent rebirth or emotional cleansing. When the storm lets up and the sun comes out by the episode's end, Espurr no longer has to worry about returning the pendant and finds a new friend in Elise, the granddaughter, who replaces the grandmother in Espurr's life. It was a thoroughly impressive 21 minutes that really made me think, analyze, and appreciate the work that the writers and animators had put into it. In the Pokemon anime's long history, Seeking Shelter from the Storm! stands out as one of the series's best artistic installments.

Grade: A

Side Note: The shiver animations were a nice touch, and I thought that Espurr's dub voice was just lovely.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I loved hearing all of Serena's scary scenarios and how she made herself nervous plus the mansion had a cool spooky vibe which I liked. I just wish Bonnie had kept the Espurr cuz she had bonded with it so well.

*Frank*

Well, that was a sad episode. Liked the Serena running gag too. An unusual title card and to top it all off, An Eternal Prison was used in the Esper's flashback...

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Compared to the last two episodes, I really enjoyed this one. It had great humor, a great motto, a heartbreaking backstory, and one cute little pokemon of the week. ^_^ I liked Team Rocket and the twerps freaking each other out from different parts of the house, and Serena freaking her own teammates out, LOL. I also got a good chuckle when Clemont asked Team Rocket where his sister is, and Jessie just goes, "What's a Bonnie?"

The backstory with espurr was so sad. At least it'll get to say its last goodbyes at the end. :(

9/10

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I rewatched this episode for the fun of it. But then it wasn't very fun. Well in the beginning it was, but then it got sad. I almost teared up in the end. Espurr is just the cutest thing ever. One of the best XY fillers.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Rocket-dan's first encounter with the abandoned Nyasper was humorous, and I couldn't help but chuckle when Serena began imagining scary things in the mansion. Eureka showed signs of wanting to keep the Nyasper, and I was all for it when we saw them playing. Alas, cruel fate intervened in the form of Ellie.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Omg, Espurr looked creepy in the fan art and the games but the anime made him so cute. The ending was weird however. I thought Espurr was going to vanish after finding peace or the women was going to somehow turn into the old lady.