• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
All right, here we go. I first read this back in the summer and quite enjoyed it, which makes it extra dumb that the review is this late, but nevertheless, here we are. I'll start off with a whole bunch of line nitpicks and get into meatier topics at the end.

I lean in, determined not to miss a single one of his words.
Missing a Significant Capital here.

These next couple sentences are in passive voice, which often reads as unwieldy:

The silence brought by the conversation’s end is filled by the winds outside the window.
"The silence brought by the conversation's end" is kind of clunky in and of itself, but this would probably read more smoothly in active voice: "The winds outside the window fill the silence brought by the conversation's end."

My pulse receives another boost.
No direct way to rephrase this, but something like "My pulse speeds up again" would read a little more natural, I think.

The final jut wakes up the black-jacketed nidoking snoozing on the seat across from mine.
I think you want "jolt," not "jut."

I glance at the kitchen table. The berry basket’s contents are still as vibrant as ever, but the fruit just look miserable, having to wait like that.
This is a cute image, the fruit being sad about having to wait. Should be "looks" miserable, though.

This morning, He seemed anxious when leaving for His first day of school, even hugging me… now I’m air to Him.
Red's... air?

“Reincarnation,” I answer flatly. You know He does that.
I think you're missing some quotation marks here.

There’s some noticeable variation in their colorations and light patterns.
It would be cool to give a couple examples here instead of make this general statement. More vivid, you know?

I guess that makes it king-sized.
Okay, I snickered.

Shirlee likely lacking in wits is not the only reason.
This is kind of odd phrasing. "Shirlee likely lacking in wits" is just kind of a convoluted way of describing the situation.

I drag away the drafts and replace their spot in front of me with a clean white card.
It'd be better to just say "replace *them* with a clean white card." The spot isn't really what Red's replacing, but the drafts.

The right hand moves to scratch it, but bounces right off as the aching wounds growl back. Gotta get used to that around her.
Not totally sure what's going on here. Ordinarily I wouldn't take "growling wounds" literally, but Red's not all there and that's a supposedly-magical symbol, so I'm not sure. My best guess is he starts scratching the sigil, but it hurts so he stops. The way things are phrased currently, "Gotta get used to that around her" refers to the wounds growling, which I guess if that's supposed to be them stinging means Red needs to get used to having something that hurts carved into his skin, but it took a bit of thought for me to come up with an explanation I thought made sense.

Right now it's 16.56, meaning her video will be going up very soon.
Earlier Shirlee wrote that the video would be posted at 5.00. Did you intend for the two of them to be using two different time notations?

...after a close call yesterday, We figured it’d be better...
Got confused here because Fonz was saying this and he presumably doesn't do the capitalization thing himself. Red's just "hearing" the caps, yeah? That strikes me as kind of weird, as does putting the significance on "We" when Omanyte is included in a group. Usually caps are only used like that when specifically referencing the revered person, alone.

One of my pet peeves is dialogue tags that relate to the content of the dialogue instead of how it's said, which you do now and again. Some examples:

“Omanyte, yeah,” I correct as she floats out of the hall and further into the house.
"Omanyte, yeah," is clearly a correction, so I don't see what you gain out of "I correct."

“Nice to see you too, Jess,” I greet, smiling, because I probably should.
Again, "Nice to see you" is clearly a greeting, and "I greet" doesn't provide any information about how it's being said, so why use it?

“I’m back,” I announce my presence, closing the door to the basement.
"I announce my presence" is just clunky in addition to being redundant.

“No, no, it’s no trouble,” I assure and rush to the couch, sitting next to her with the most sympathetic face I can feign.
Again, it's clear that Red's (re)assuring Shirlee from what he said,

“Y-yeah, I’m fine, I’m just… slowly realizing what's happening,” I patch up.
And "patch up" is not even close to being a speech tag, in addition to just reiterating what the dialogue makes clear.

But moving on...

I don't think it’d make sense for her to get me jewelry for me this soon.
Some kind of typo going on in here.

“Man, it feels so good to drink without having to show a license or ask some guy on the street to buy me some…” Shirlee sighs as Arktos opens the door to her room.
This is interesting. How do age limits on drinking even work for pokémon, or do they all mature at the same rate as humans? I guess that restaurant just looks the other way when it comes to serving alcohol to minors if they're underage, heh.

Also, oh no, Shirlee, don't be a troubled alcoholic. :(

She floats over to the couch and plops down, eyes on me and awaiting.
You'd generally say "waiting" over "awaiting" in a scenario like this. Usually when you use "awaiting" you mention something specific the person's waiting for, like "awaiting the train" or "awaiting a better answer." If there's no specific thing being waited for, then it's typically just "waiting."

My eyes flick around the darkness in search for the source.
You'd usually say "in search of the source."

I nudge the tips.
Tips of what?

After walking for a while towards the limo, one of its doors open.
This is a misplaced modifier. Red's the one walking towards the limo, but then the "its" after the comma is supposed to refer to the limo, not to Red. Also should be "opens," not "open." You could fix this by rephrasing to something like, "I walk towards the limo for a while, and one of its doors opens."

I raise my hands and lower the palm up on the table, about halfway into its full width.
This sentence gets a little confusing. Red apparently raises both his hands, but only puts one ("its") on the table? If it was supposed to be both hands, it would be lower them, not lower the, but was he supposed to raise only one hand in the first place?

Am I just gonna get up and walk home and resume that painful existence where the one I care about most treats me like air?
The air thing again! In some ways I like it, because it kind of suggests that He takes Red for granted, like he's just there without being noticed, like the air someone breathes. But I'm guessing it's actually an idiom that doesn't translate well.

All right, moving on, this fic is a lot of fun! For me the highlight is definitely the interactions between Red and Shirlee; the two of them are so well positioned to play off each other in a hilarious way, and getting to see Red struggle to deal with someone he has to deal with but can't simply murder is a lot of fun. There's plenty of humor here even without Shirlee, but I think she brings out the funniest moments. One of my favorites was definitely when she was blowing up Red's phone with typical gossip about how annoying her co-workers are and Red is like "oh my GOD is she STILL. TEXTING????"

At times I can find Red's narration a little tiring--he definitely lives in his head, and sometimes all the internal narration grates on me, but in general you do a good job of writing a despicable character while still making him entertaining to read about, if only because he ends up being put upon so much of the time. Future ascended God he may aspire to be, but for a future god he seems to have a surprising amount of trouble simply dealing with normal life! Unlike Hunter, Haunted there's less opportunity for Red to do what he really wants, so the tone's more lighthearted overall, and I think you handle it well--this is simply a fun read.

Shirlee is pretty great, too, and I think presents a nice balance between stereotypical out-of-touch starlet and genuine-feeling character. Obviously she gets on Red's nerves, constantly, all the time, but with the information you present for your audience, it's obvious that she has her own problems--like, some pretty substantial ones--and is really clinging to Red because she's lonely and scared and he seems to have some interest in her besides the fame. It's easy to root for her to figure things out and escape from Red's clutches, although unfortunately I don't think that's too likely at this point. She might not die, but I have a feeling her music career's going to take a hit. In any case, her character is a bit of a cariacature in ways, like the whole drug problems, secret insecurities thing is a pretty common riff for pop-star characters, but Shirlee manages to really light up the narrative and works perfectly with the humorous tone of the story; I think she makes a great antagonist.

One thing I might like to see a little more of is Red's interactions with Him. In your sig you describe this story as a love triangle, but it feels to me like there's one leg of the triangle that's been kind of absent in the last few chapters. It makes sense that Red finds it really painful to be around Him when He's just ignoring Red in favor of Shirlee, but aside from a couple of instances it doesn't seem like he's even thinking all that much about li'l Helix, even though He's the entire impetus for Red's crazy Shirlee plan. Like, I wouldn't want him to be angsting about Him all the time, but to me it seems like He's been pretty well absent for a curious amount of time. A little more opportunity to actually see Red's relationship with Him would make it all the more poignant when the situation really does get to him, I think, like where he breaks down at the end of Chapter 10 while trying to pretend that Shirlee is Him. That was a good moment nonetheless; you could almost feel sorry for the guy... but only almost. :p

There's also a lot of cool worldbuilding in this story, both in terms of connecting it to the TPP lore and your own embellishments on things. Red fearing technology because of his traumatic experiences with the PC (where apparently releasing pokémon actually kills them somehow, or Red thought as much? yikes) makes sense and is a fun nod to his past, as is, of course, the whole Helixean thing. I don't know if you'd ever be inclined to write it, but I think it would be fun to see how Red and LORD HELIX actually met, and how Red became devoted to Him in the first place, but as it is echoes of Red's strange journey continue to run through his entire life, which both feels appropriate and gives the story part of the unique appeal that lets it stand out among fanfics.

The broader world where Pokémon exist in a kind of uneasy place between animals and humans is interesting, too. I can kind of see where you hadn't necessarily thought through what was going on there from the beginning, but overall I think it works as a background against which the story is set. The whole "pokémon start out animalistic but have the potential to develop sapience over time" is a concept I've seen proposed by several different authors, but rarely actually used in stories, and I think it has the potential to make for a really interesting world. Here it doesn't have so much of an impact on the story, since virtually all the pokémon encountered are fully sapient anyway, but nevertheless this story is one of relatively few where pokémon feel like a deeply-integrated part of the world as more than just objects of battle: they can be pop stars, body guards, attend school, and so on, and it helps give the world a very distinct feeling of being a place where humans really do live alongside monsters. Overall just a cool and different dynamic.

I also love details like a sign of inkay evolution being sleeping upside-down or it being possible for pokémon to get everstone implants to prevent evolution. It's interesting because in this story pokémon don't really seem motivated by the whole "become strong" thing that you see in most pokémon stories, where evolution is portrayed as either a universal good, something to strive for, or where a pokémon may angst about it for a bit but it doesn't end up meaning much in the end. Here it just seems like experiencing super-puberty but in a very short space of time, which can't be fun, and you might end up, like, growing extra legs or something, which can't be a lot of fun. It makes a lot of sense that pokémon would be more nervous about it and it might be more popular for the civilized ones to not want to do it at all.

There were some things that felt a little off to me. For example, the dream Red has of getting killed by Arktos struck me as kind of out of place. It's a neat little bait and switch, but as of now I'm not really sure what the point of it is, since obviously it's a dream and has no actual impact on the events of the story or Red's behavior. My only guess at this point is that it might be foreshadowing for what's going to happen when Red goes to meet Shirlee in the near future--like seriously, Shirlee, meeting the guy you're unsure about alone in an alleyway is just freaking dumb, if you don't have some kind of plan--but even then I don't know that that woud be a super important reason to keep it around in any case.

The scene where Red apologizes to Tamaki and a bunch of people from the school start filming felt a little over the top to me. Like, sure, I could see a handful of people being curious or filming things once it became clear what was going on, but the degree to which people were interested in what was going on between these two randos seemed a bit overblown. I mean, you ended up with a literal "and then everybody applauded" moment. I think there's a kind of more believable medium where you have some people who might be particularly nosy or invested in Tamaki or Red (e.g. some of Tamaki's closer friends) hanging around and maybe even filming it, without going to quite such a "crowd gathers and is totally moved by what's going on between these two randos."

I definitely liked that Tamaki wasn't fooled and was only accepting the apology due to peer pressure, though. If you'd literally been beaten up by somebody once a week for like a year(?) and they tried to strangle your ninetales yesterday, I would think it'd take more than that person showing up at your school with a kinda generic apology for you to be ready to let bygones be bygones, haha. I'm curious to see whether Tamaki will show up again later.

And, finally, Red's relationship with his pokémon and other family members strikes me as kind of weird sometimes. Like, he obviously has a pretty serious aversion to technology, whether or not they know how deep it goes (Fonz doesn't really seem to), so seeing him with a cell phone, much less one he's actually using and appears to be talking to some other person with (!) is something I'd expect to arouse much more interest than it does. Like, with Jess catching one of his conversations with Shirlee, it struck me as odd that Jess' comment was about how that obviously wasn't the real Shirlee, rather than oh my GOD you're actually using a PHONE to TEXT SOMEONE, like, willingly??? With the fact that it was some weird Shirlee-impersonator being kind of secondary. Like, I get the impression that Red kind of does his own thing and even avoids interacting with his pseudo-family as much as possible, but there's been seriously weird **** going down for a while now at this point. Like, Fonz is the only one to comment on the freaking limo? Abe isn't more curious about Red's mysterious friend? And li'l Helix is presumably still distracted by Shirlee, but even given his obsession, my impression is that Red used to spend a lot more time with him and give him more preferential treatment than he has been recently... surely that must have registered on some level? Does li'l Helix miss Red at all?

Anyhow, I haven't read Pletora's Story yet, but thus far I'd say Seiren is my favorite of what I've read from you. It has memorable characters, great humor, and I think that the plot has been moving along at a good clip. My guess is we don't have a ton of ground left to cover at this point, and that one way or another Shirlee's going to end up malamarized and out of showbiz. All in all it's kind of a refreshing little story that's very different than the usual fanfic (and even the usual TPP fanfic, I'd guess, heh). It's been a while since you posted a chapter, but I hope you're still planning to continue this one. I'll definitely be sticking around to see the end.

Also, unrelated to the actual story, I do really love the cover art you did for this one. In particular I love Red and Shirlee's expressions and the way you use color to differentiate between them. All in all I think it's a pretty, dynamic composition, and obviously it fits the story perfectly, heh.

canisaries

sometimes i get a deadache, yeah
Thank you so much for the long and detailed review! I'm glad you're enjoying the story, and I'll get working on fixing the grammar oddities you've pointed out right away.

Missing a Significant Capital here.

Dang. I always miss one, don't I.

This is a cute image, the fruit being sad about having to wait. Should be "looks" miserable, though.

I think I thought of it as a plural, but even then I meant multiple kinds of berries, so I guess it would be "fruits" there.

I think you're missing some quotation marks here.

Intentionally internal monologue, but I can see why you'd think that.

Not totally sure what's going on here. Ordinarily I wouldn't take "growling wounds" literally, but Red's not all there and that's a supposedly-magical symbol, so I'm not sure. My best guess is he starts scratching the sigil, but it hurts so he stops. The way things are phrased currently, "Gotta get used to that around her" refers to the wounds growling, which I guess if that's supposed to be them stinging means Red needs to get used to having something that hurts carved into his skin, but it took a bit of thought for me to come up with an explanation I thought made sense.

Sometimes I get a bit artsy with my descriptions lol ;D I can edit it to be clearer.

Earlier Shirlee wrote that the video would be posted at 5.00. Did you intend for the two of them to be using two different time notations?

Not really sure, tbh. Shirlee is Unovan, so it'd make sense for her to use the AM/PM split, but I've probably had Kantoan people also use the split normally. I think in this scene I visualized Red as checking something like a microwave clock, which I'm used to seeing use a 24h notation, but then again I live in a country that doesn't use the 12h system.

One of my pet peeves is dialogue tags that relate to the content of the dialogue instead of how it's said, which you do now and again. Some examples:

Yeah, redundancy annoys me too - I think these examples you've given are all just due to said-phobia. I'd love to use verbs that actually describe the tone and so, but my vocabulary tends to feel pretty small in that area. Guess I'll just face my fears head on and replace them with saids.

This is interesting. How do age limits on drinking even work for pokémon, or do they all mature at the same rate as humans? I guess that restaurant just looks the other way when it comes to serving alcohol to minors if they're underage, heh.

I actually had to figure out some in-universe laws for this one. Humans are still the majority, so age-related restrictions are made with them primarily in mind. Mon are expected to be able to roughly tell the age of human beings, but there are so many different kinds of mon that mature at different rates and are very difficult to tell the age of (at least for humans or some other mon) that to purchase alcohol or other goods restricted from minors, at least one of the following conditions must apply:
- The mon has an official license or ID that proves their maturity
- The mon is clearly mature (e.g. in an evolved state that can only be reached after maturity or otherwise distinguishable from a non-mature specimen OR known in the public to be of mature age, which is the case for Shirlee here)
- The mon has a clearly mature person (human or mon) with them

Because not everyone can be expected to know every single line and which stages count as mature and which don't, the first condition is always the best bet. Shirlee can't rely on her license too much, as she wants to be incognito in her free time.

One thing I might like to see a little more of is Red's interactions with Him. In your sig you describe this story as a love triangle,

I agree with the contents of this paragraph, and also with the point about Red's mon friends. I'm looking into it, but not totally sure about how to go about a bunch of things.

I don't know if you'd ever be inclined to write it, but I think it would be fun to see how Red and LORD HELIX actually met, and how Red became devoted to Him in the first place, but as it is echoes of Red's strange journey continue to run through his entire life, which both feels appropriate and gives the story part of the unique appeal that lets it stand out among fanfics.

I'm definitely going to get around to writing it eventually, probably in either a oneshot or in The Bringer (planned sequel story to Hunter, Haunted).

The broader world where Pokémon exist in a kind of uneasy place between animals and humans is interesting, too. I can kind of see where you hadn't necessarily thought through what was going on there from the beginning, but overall I think it works as a background against which the story is set. The whole "pokémon start out animalistic but have the potential to develop sapience over time" is a concept I've seen proposed by several different authors, but rarely actually used in stories, and I think it has the potential to make for a really interesting world. Here it doesn't have so much of an impact on the story, since virtually all the pokémon encountered are fully sapient anyway, but nevertheless this story is one of relatively few where pokémon feel like a deeply-integrated part of the world as more than just objects of battle: they can be pop stars, body guards, attend school, and so on, and it helps give the world a very distinct feeling of being a place where humans really do live alongside monsters. Overall just a cool and different dynamic.

I'm happy to hear that it's at least functional enough not to be distracting, lol. On the subject of civilized and feral, I'm planning on featuring a mon that's not quite either in that sequel I mentioned. This whole dynamic is challenging, but also interesting to figure and flesh out.

Anyhow, I haven't read Pletora's Story yet, but thus far I'd say Seiren is my favorite of what I've read from you. It has memorable characters, great humor, and I think that the plot has been moving along at a good clip. My guess is we don't have a ton of ground left to cover at this point, and that one way or another Shirlee's going to end up malamarized and out of showbiz. All in all it's kind of a refreshing little story that's very different than the usual fanfic (and even the usual TPP fanfic, I'd guess, heh). It's been a while since you posted a chapter, but I hope you're still planning to continue this one. I'll definitely be sticking around to see the end.

Great! This is good to hear because lately I'd been feeling like Seiren was the weakest of my current stories. I was never going to give up on it, but I've gotten pretty sluggish at writing it. This review's sure to get me working a bit faster, though, and with the holidays coming up, I should finally have the time needed as well.

Also, unrelated to the actual story, I do really love the cover art you did for this one. In particular I love Red and Shirlee's expressions and the way you use color to differentiate between them. All in all I think it's a pretty, dynamic composition, and obviously it fits the story perfectly, heh.

I like it too! It's probably my favorite cover of the ones I've done yet. The colors and symbolism turned out just the way I wanted.

canisaries

sometimes i get a deadache, yeah
The previous chapter was posted October 8th. Wow. But that's uni life for ya.

Anyway, after a long wait, a pretty important chapter is here! We're nearing the end of the story, with this chapter likely being the penultimate one. By the way, I'm about halfway through fixing the stuff Negrek pointed out in the previous chapters, so if you still see errors in the latter ones, it's just because I'm slow and lazy. lol

A word about the content - considering the point in the story, you probably saw this coming, but this one has a bunch of physical and I suppose mental abuse. There's quite a bit of language, too, and I'm gonna try avoiding the swear filter. (Inconsistent with the previous chapters, I know, but I feel like the asterisks just hurt the immersion.) For those reasons, this is a mature rated chapter. Not Hunter, Haunted levels of mature, but mature nonetheless.

Alright, we're good to go. Enjoy this chapter and see you in another two months hahahahaha

---

CHAPTER 11
Destruction of Public Property

---​

Hotel Evergreen of Viridian City is not quite as impressive as Celadon Hotel. It's still pretty, don't get me wrong, but it's just not as glamorous as the black skyscraper of verdant windows. Instead, it seems to be from a far older generation with its white marble and decorated pillars.

Not sure why it's called ‘Evergreen’. There isn't a sliver of green to be seen here. Maybe it's just to match the name of the city… or maybe it's symbolic somehow? It's an old building, but it keeps its luster despite the time, like an evergreen… tree… no, that doesn't really make sense.

Ah, the door opens. And a floating winter coat comes through. That must be Shirlee. Alright, it’s showtime.

I give a shy but warm smile. “Hi.”

Despite my expectations, I don’t receive a greeting in response, only an absent-seeming stare from the inkay. She floats down the front step and hovers past me. The seal on my wrist buzzes and quiets accordingly. Had already forgotten about that.

“Let’s go,” she says quietly. She doesn’t seem mad. Nor does she seem excited. She just seems… quiet. I guess I should tone my mood down as well. Make her feel more comfortable.

She leads me away from the hotel, across some streets and into an emptier nook of the neighborhood. We enter an alleyway and stop.

“We’re really doing this alone,” I remark, having watched out for and failed to spot a bodyguard tailing us.

“Yeah. I mean..” She lowers her voice. “It’s illegal, after all.”

Oh, may the Gods have mercy on us! We're about to break the law! After this, we will truly have lost our innocence for good. We wretched souls now bid farewell to our sweet, pure childhood and plunge ourselves to the abyss of sin!

“Don't fret it. It's for a good cause,” I say, “and no one's getting hurt. I'm fully willing.”

“Yeah…” Shirlee stares at the ground. “I-I guess we should just get to it.”

“By all means.” I kneel, placing my hands behind my back. “Do it whenever you're ready.”

“Y-Yeah. I'll just… need a minute,” she says, closing her eyes and massaging her mantle. “I haven't read minds since I was a hatchling in my brood… it's how we communicated before we learned to talk.”

The hood of her coat drops down among her motions. Perfect, just as I'd hoped - no need to gamble on whether the spike can pierce the fabric.

The moment will soon come. Stealthily, I dig my hands in my jeans’ back pockets. From the left, I produce the minimized ultra ball. From the right, where my wallet lies, I carefully pluck out a spike from between the leaves. Two are left remaining. Better safe than sorry.

“Right, okay,” says Shirlee. “I-I think I can do it now. I'm gonna put my tentacles on your temples. Watch out, they're probably cold...”

I nod. My pulse speeds up, spreading warm blood to my fingers and face. I stroke the side of the spike with my thumb. Only seconds remain. Only seconds until I can stop pretending. I bite my lip as my mouth almost forms a smile. Not yet.

Shirlee lifts up her tentacles. Their wet clubs gleam white from the streetlights afar. “H-here we go.”

She presses the clubs on the sides of my head. They really are cold, brrh. But I gotta stay focused. Another sensation awakens in my wrist on top of the previous one. It feels... smoother than the other. Telepathy must use psychic energy more gentle than telekinesis, I suppose.

Okay, she looks down. And her… eyes… are… closed. Now's the time.

“I don't see anything yet, but h-hold on, I'm sure it'll --”

The spike sinks into the back of her mantle. Her eyelids yank apart along with a screech from her beak. “What --”

Her eyes follow my arm from my shoulder to the edge of her vision. She pieces the events together. “What did you -- why did you…”

My arm is forcefully thrown off - with telekinesis, my wrist tells me - and Shirlee yanks the thorn out of her flesh. She levitates it in front of her, squinting and trying to recognize the object. She doesn’t look like she’s getting any less energetic. The poison works, right? I didn’t just get scammed, right? Oh Gods… oh Gods, just please work, otherwise I am so fucked.

Shirlee launches backwards, glaring at me in rage and fear. I can’t wait any longer, I have to act now, before she flies away!

I click the button on the ultra ball, enlarging it, and sling it into the inkay. It smacks against her soft flesh, prompting a yelp. The ball opens, fires a bolt of red lightning that envelops the mon along with the spike it holds and draws its catch inside itself, closing. On the ground, it wobbles threateningly.

“Stay shut, stay shut…” I mutter, leaping to the ball. It twitches forcefully. Don’t! I contemplate clasping the ball with my palms, but decide against it, knowing it wouldn’t actually help and that empty hands are better for catching runaways.

Another nudge. But it’s weaker, isn’t it? The motions are getting weaker. But I can’t celebrate yet, not before the button’s red light stops blinking and that click rings out.

Nudge, nudge, nudge. Nudge.

Click.

I got her. I got her! Yes!

Heart still pounding, I swipe the ball off the ground and rub away the dirty snow stuck to its bottom. Guess the poison worked on her after all. That, or she was weaker than I expected, which would mean I'd have to deal with a very angry squid when releasing her.

But here we are. I’ve done it. She’s in the palm of my hand. The one responsible for my misery for almost three weeks now. Tonight, I will end it. Sure, there’ll still be some loose ends to tie up afterwards… but now, there’s really no turning back.

Gods… I’ve caught a mon. I haven’t done that in a long time. Have I even caught anything after my journey ended? That’s six years… six years without catching a single mon. Champion trainer, everyone. Not that I ever wanted to be one. One day they just came and… made it be like that. No matter how much it hurt.

No, no dwelling on that now. Breathe in the cool winter air. It was six years ago. It will never come back. Right now, right now you’re the one in charge. The one with the power. You have the right - no, duty to use it.

See you in the basement, Shirlee.

---

The blade.

The beautiful, gleaming metal edge, sharpened with care to sever the fibers of flesh like a sickle reaps crops.

It is with great sorrow in my heart that I announce you will not get to show your elegance today.

I place the knife in the drawer and push it shut, sealing it with duct tape afterwards to make sure it stays that way.

Ugh, it looks tacky as hell. I bet it’s gonna leave marks on the wood. But what can you do? I can’t risk getting telekinetically stabbed. All loose objects have to be put away for the time she’s awake. All which she could possibly use to harm me, that is - and I do still need to keep a certain few objects available.

Well, anyway, that was the last I could put away - my knife in its scabbard. Now I just have to wait for her to wake up.

I sit down on the white-tiled floor as comfortably as I can and fix my eyes on the immobile blob hanging before me. Two brown belts, slightly worn, wrap around the blob’s glassy tentacles and fasten the creature to the ceiling. Its round eyes and pretty little beak are shut, but likely not for long.

I was very relieved to find her unconscious upon releasing her from her ball. I was prepared to rely on the rag and flood her face with spores, but turns out there was no need.

Already getting bored of waiting, I fidget with the buttons of my shirt. Probably should've changed to something more comfortable now that I have no gentleman image to keep up anymore.

Hmm. You know what? I'm gonna open this. I'll feel fresher, and she'll get a good look at my scars, which'll no doubt only freak her out more.

There. I already feel more powerful.

“Ngh…”

Oh, is she waking up?

I stand up and lean closer. Her eyes are still closed, but her subtle motions tell me I wasn't just hearing things.

Let's speed things up. And give my hand a test run while we're at it.

I raise my right palm and confidently smack the limp inkay.

“Wake up, sunshine!” I shout, watching the startled squid squirm in confusion and pain. The belts holding her up tangle as she spins, first clockwise and then, as the belts fight back, counterclockwise.

“Whaaahh…!” she wails, sounding dizzy. I grab the belts and stop the spinning. Her front stops to face my chest.

Her half-open eyes flick around, trying make sense of the odd surroundings and her situation. “Whahm I… whassuh…”

Then something clicks in her brain. Her eyes widen, and she flails like a magikarp, trying to flip herself the right way up, I'm assuming. My wrist alerts me with a faint vibration. She’s helping herself with telekinesis, but it seems to be weaker than usual. That’s likely due to the poison and her current lightheadedness. Either way, good news for me.

“Don't bother,” I say. “Even if you managed it, I'd just knock you right down again.”

“...Red?” she wheezes, halting her struggle to see me better.

“Yes! It's me!” I announce, grinning. “Your dear friend, Red!”

“What are you… what is this?” Her voice gets louder, more anxious.

“Oh, yes… this must all be so confusing to you, poor thing… well, allow me to explain!” I spread my arms. “Welcome to the space inside my skull. You wanted to read my mind, didn't you? Find out the real me? Well, here we are. My natural habitat.”

“What are you talking about? Let me go!”

“Sorry,” I coo, circling her, “but I can't. I've got plans for you.”

She attempts to twist around to keep me in her sight, but fails. “What the fuck, Red? Is this a joke?”

I slide before her and grab her body. I lean my face right in front of hers. Her flinch is the strongest I've felt at my fingertips.

“Metaphors too advanced for your brain, are they?” I tilt my head. “I guess I'll have to be clearer then…”

I stand back as she watches with fury. “Truth is, Shirlee, you were right after all. I am no gentleman. I never changed. I didn't feel any guilt for what I did in my past, nor do I feel it for things I do now...”

“Oh my Gods, what do you want?”

Doesn't she know it's rude to interrupt? Well, this'll teach her!

Smack!

“Ow! Stop doing that, it hurts!”

“Precisely the point!” I laugh. “When are you gonna get it? I'm trying to hurt to hurt you, silly girl!”

“I'm gonna sue the shit out of you, you prick!” Shirlee screeches, her face turning a darker shade of blue. “Untie me now, and maybe I won't end your fucking life!”

You're going to end my life? I assume that's only hyperbole, but quite amusing still. You see, I actually have some experience in ending lives. Literally. Yes, Shirlee, I kill people! I don't just beat them up, like I did with Tamaki, I kidnap, torture and murder them! For the sake of my lord! N-not the little one. I mean the big one.”

Shirlee squints. “Are you fucking larping?”

“Am I what now?”

“You're not your character, Red, and this isn't a game. You're welcome to express yourself how you want in your free time, but don't drag me into it, and especially not through a kidnapping!”

“Are you…” I close my eyes and scratch my head. “Are you insinuating that I'm just playing pretend?”

“Get the fuck out of your character and talk to me like an adult!”

“No, this isn't --”

“And what the fuck is this character, anyway? Some edgy anime villain? No one's going to take that seriously!”

“Oh my Gods! You're in the basement of a serial killer, can you maybe act like it?”

“Listen to me, Red! You're not scary, you're not intimidating, you're just being a giant prick!”

I bury my face in my palms. I can already feel it heating up. This is not how I wanted this to go.

Okay. Bad start, but I can still turn this around. I've got the facts on my side. I just need to get her to understand that she is in real danger and --

“Good makeup on those scars, though.”

“They are real!” I roar at her face. “Real! All of this is real! Get it through your thick skull! Or lack thereof! Fuck!”

“Uh-huh. Sure it is.”

A surge of rage momentarily jams my brain and all I can do is glare in silence.

Okay, Red, just ignore her words for now. Take a deep breath. What's your actual goal here? To force her evolution. She told you it would happen with stress or strong emotion while upside down. Upside down, check. Stress or strong emotion, not quite. I was doing pretty well on that front until she got into her head that this is just pretend.

I could continue trying to prove that I really have killed people, but she'd likely just find excuses for everything being fake. Do I have anything she can't deny?

“Look, can you just stop this nonsense?” she sighs. “I have places to be and folk who need me.”

Hm. “Oh, do you now?” I turn back to her, sly smile returned to my face. “Well, go ahead. Unfasten those belts that hold you up and hover right away. Shouldn't be hard for a psychic like you.”

She stares for a second, then gets right to work. The buzz returns to my wrist.

The buckle of one of the belts begins to move in its place, quite clumsily. Invisible hands - or tentacles, perhaps - fiddle with it for quite a long time, making sluggish and unsure progress, but eventually, the buckle is unfastened and the tentacle slips free.

“Ah, there we go,” whispers Shirlee. “Now for the oth-”

Smack!

The impact sends her into another spin.

“Augh! Cut that shit out!” she snaps, but her aggression is exchanged for stupefaction as my hands grasp her free tentacle. Even with her struggle against it, the tentacle is refastened much faster than it was released. Her strength insufficient for physical retaliation, she settles for verbal abuse and calls me some names I’m surprised to hear from her considering her prior preaching of tolerance.

“If you’re done ranting,” I interrupt her, “I’d like you to tell me what you’ve learned now.”

“That you’re a complete asshole?” she spits.

“No, no, no.” I clasp my hands together. “I’m talking about the fact that you cannot leave this room unless I allow it. Any attempts you make to escape will be shot down just like the one moments before. If it starts looking like I can’t, that your full powers are returning to you, I’ll just do what I’m about to do right now.”

I leave that part of the room and walk over to the other half obscured from Shirlee’s view.

“Hey, get back here!” she shouts.

“Just a minute, dear,” I call. I grab the rag and vial of yellow liquid from the altar. Even if the rock above it is covered by a towel for the duration of this session, I can’t help being overly careful not to look at it. I just really wouldn’t want to awaken HIM by accident right now.

I pop the vial open and pour a bit of its contents onto the rag, then leave the vial and return to Shirlee.

“The hell is that?” she says, eyeing the sandy-brown piece of cloth in my hand.

“Take a guess.”

“Don’t you dare put that -- mmph!”

The rag covers her beak. She wriggles, and I feel something try to move my hand, but its strength gradually diminishes along with the tingling it brings to my wrist.

“There. All powered down,” I say and lean in with a smug grin. I take the rag off and throw it onto another table for now. Or try to, but it misses and falls onto the floor instead. Awkward. I hope she didn’t see that.

I clear my throat. “Anyway… if you’d kindly start getting scared now, that’d be great. I may be able to keep you here for quite a while, but that doesn’t mean my patience will last as long.”

“What was… in that?” Her words are slurred.

“Sleep-inducing spores. It’s what I use for all my targets.” I look to her and flash a smile. “You know, my victims.”

“Vic...tims…”

She stares blankly at the floor. Slowly, something begins to change in her expression.

“Finally getting it, huh?”

She frowns in thought.

“This is not pretend, Shirlee. I drug you and hit you without hesitation. You do understand that’s not the end of it?”

“H-hey… Red...”

“M-hm?”

She stares into my eyes. For the first time after her initial awakening, vulnerability is present. “L-let me go.”

“No.”

“Seriously, let me...”

“I will not.”

“If you don’t let me go, I might --”

“You will.”

There it is. In those big, pleading eyes. Fear.

“You’re upside down for a reason,” I slowly say.

“...Why?” She's so quiet now. “Why would you want to do that to me?”

“I'm so glad you asked. I've been trying to destroy you for so long now that I've somewhat lost sight of the true cause myself. Going over it once more will no doubt remind me how important this all is.”

I sigh, playing back my memory. “In order to make you understand… let's go back six years. To the worst period of my life. My time with the Twitch. Have you heard of the Twitch?”

She doesn't answer. I guess she doesn't know.

“It's hell. That's what it is. A million voices just appear inside your brain one day, screaming, and they won't quiet until they've puppeted you into the position of a champion pokémon trainer. Why are they so obsessed with a dying sport and a meaningless title? Who knows. I only know that it was all agony. I wasn't the happiest kid to begin with, and there I was, stuck in an endless waking nightmare. Unable to walk freely, unable to sleep outside of losing consciousness, unable to even off myself to be free.

“Then something happened. Something that saved my life, my sanity. I met someone. Him. The omanyte, as you know Him. I don't know how, but being around Him, it felt so right. So right that it overpowered the pain. I could keep going. I felt like there was hope, a way out. And, eventually, I became the champion. The voices went away. I felt reborn. Alive again.

“Years passed, with a bunch of things happening, but He was always there. He did die more than once. The first time around, I felt like the world was ending, but afterwards I found out He had the ability to reincarnate and retain memories of His former life, of me. Around that time, I also met HIM, but that’s a whole another story...

“Let’s get back to the main point. His attention, presence and existence is priceless to me. No one but Him can make me feel the way I do with Him. So how do you think it made me feel when, only weeks after resurrection from His last death - still always a horrible experience - someone like you comes in to steal all the attention? Makes me invisible to Him for an indefinite period of time?”

Shirlee glances around nervously.

“He’s been obsessed with you. Almost as obsessed as I am with Him. And that makes it all the more painful.”

I open the fists I notice I’ve formed. “But now, now I get to fix it all. I get to end your career. He will turn to me. He will remember my loyalty, what a great servant I’ve been.” I smirk. “And I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t personal by now, so… you bet I’m taking great pleasure in destroying you. You vapid, irritating, thin-skinned little worm.”

“Couldn’t you just… talk to Him about it?”

“...What?”

“Tell Him how you’re feeling. Or did you try that already?” she weakly asks.

“...No, no, that wouldn’t work.”

“Are you sure?”

I cross my arms. “He’s just a child right now. He wouldn’t get it.”

“Are you really sure?”

“Yes. Of course. I mean, I can see why you’d suggest that, but you don’t know the situation. You wouldn’t get it.”

But… I mean, why haven’t I talked to Him about it? I must have had a reason, right? A good one. I just can’t immediately think of it right now. Right! Now I remember!

“You see,” I add, “if I confronted Him about it, He’d see me as the enemy. That would just push Him further away.”

“Didn’t you say you’ve known Him for six years? And you started off with some kind of difficult disease, and He was by your side the whole time? I-it doesn’t seem like He’d just abandon you for having an opinion...”

I don’t like this. I don’t like this feeling she’s making me feel. I don’t like her implying that she’s smarter than me for thinking of this. She’s just a singer. I’m a priest. His servant. I know better than her. That has to be true. And because it’s true, there’s no point in dwelling on it. I have a job to do. A goal to accomplish. I’m not stopping until I’m finished.

“Look, what if...” she starts. Oh, no no no, don’t you dare. “What if you just went to Him and talked it out? Or even had me talk to Him, if He sees me as such an idol? W-we can still solve this in a way that doesn’t need anyone to get --”

“Sh-shut up.”

“Red, please --”

“Shut up!”

Smack!

The smack is no softer than the ones before, but she only groans in discomfort. She’s getting used to it. Does it even hurt at all? Is her body too blubbery?

“I’m done listening to you!” I shout. My hands form fists. They feel hot. So does my face and, well, I guess everything. My nails dig into my palms.

“You don’t get to talk to me like you know anything!” I continue. “You don’t get to be that way after you… after you force a phone onto me! I don’t want that shit! I didn’t have one before for a reason!”

“Wh-what reason?”

“Don’t try to be my fucking therapist! Don’t try to do any of your defusing anymore! Don’t… just don’t do anything! Except evolve! Just evolve already!”

“I-I can’t --”

“Then I’ll make you!”

I raise my right fist to hit. The ball of nails and knuckles trembles. Shirlee’s lesser tentacles reach for her face, trying to shield it.

Wait, her lights. They’re flickering. What does that --

“Gahh!” My eyes!

I shield my face from the shine. Something’s lit up, something burningly bright. Rainbow smears still plague my sight. Is this some type of natural defense mechanism? Or could she perhaps be…

“No… no no no no!” Shirlee cries. Her voice is changing, getting deeper. It's happening. It's happening!

The light dims, then dies. It's done. She's changed.

So, what's she gonna look like? Hideous, that I already know, but just how hideous? The worse, the better for me, isn't it? I'm almost too excited to look - but I know I have to.

I uncover my eyes.

Glimmering skin.

Powerful tentacles.

Fierce eyes.

But the face twists with agony.

“I know! I know!” the creature bellows. “There’s no need to rub it in. I know I’m disgusting!”

Three long fins at the end of the mantle. Thick, muscular tentacles as hair, undulating with a fraction of their full strength. Vibrant hues, sharp beak, intricate symbol of light.

She looks sacred.

Like a creation of HIS. Terrifying, powerful, yet beautiful. Otherworldly, yet familiar. Dangerous, yet I only want to get closer.

Her expression changes. Agony is replaced by realization. What? What did she realize?

Her larger tentacles - longer than I am tall - contract with force. No, don't!

Shink! The hooks holding up the belts come off the ceiling. They clank onto the floor. She's freed. Oh fuck! Don't you dare --

I'm slammed to the wall. Fuck, my back! I collapse from the shockwave, forearms hitting the ground.

“No… stay!” I growl, stumbling back upright. I can see her moving. Hear her moving. My wrist is screaming. Her power is far greater than before, but she's clumsy, bumping into the walls and furniture. She’s found the door out, shit. I need to stop her -- no, wait, I stand no chance physically, look at her! A predator of the deep sea! And I'm just a hairless mankey!

But I have tools. Items. I need the spores -- no, the ball! Of course!

Shirlee's opened the door out of the room. She's moving the shelf. Fast, run past her and get the --

“Get away!”

A glassy tentacle slams into my ribs like a truck, launching me onto the table behind me. The edge knocks into my thigh, no doubt creating a bruise for later. A grunt leaves my poor lungs.

But I can't let her leave. That'll do way worse than just ruin my plan!

Shirlee manages to push the bookshelf blocking the other side of the frame far enough to squeeze through. I throw myself off the table and lunge for the other one, for the ultra ball on it. Grab the ball, there, turn around and run after her! She's only a set of stairs, a door and a few meters from escaping the house!

I slip out of the room. She's halfway up the stairs. Dash after her. Fuck! Another psychic attack knocks me on my back, but I get up, despite the aching limbs. Can't see her now. I hear a handle being turned. Quick!

Two stairs at a time, I see her again, but I need a clear shot or I'll lose even more time. Climb the last stairs - more and more of her in my vision - dash through the door. I'm right behind her. Now? Now?

Now!

I throw the ball. It hits, bounces off. She turns. It opens. Red light. She glares at me. Her eyes glow bright. What is she --

My neck is squeezed. Too tight, can’t breathe! My arteries thump in my ears, my vertebrae are touched, grabbed, compressed - she’s going to snap my neck - and her eyes, they burn with rage, she’s really going to --

Gone.

She’s gone.

I’m breathing. My neck is free. The ball - she returned to the ball. I did it. I’m safe. No irreversible damage done. Okay.

“U-uh.”

Oh no.

From atop the living room couch, wide eyes stare at me. A pale red beak is slightly ajar.

Jess.

“Dude...” the pidgeot starts. A nervous chuckle leaves his throat. “Wh-what was that, dude?”

“Jess...”

I swallow hard. How do I continue? How much did Jess see? What would he believe, what would he accept?

Jess lifts his feet, tense. “You’re not, like… doing anything fucked up?”

“Jess, I...” I notice my breathing is near hysterical and pause to take a deep, albeit shaky, breath in. “I can... understand why this looks bad. But it... isn’t. There is… a perfectly valid... explanation.” It’s like I’ve forgotten how to speak.

“And… what w-would that be, dude...?”

“Uhh.” Think. Think.

No. Nothing is coming.

I take steps towards the couch. Jess shuffles his wings, glancing around.

“...Jess.”

I lock my eyes onto his.

“You were my ace,” I say, almost toneless. “I was your trainer. You were the one I relied on. The voices, too...”

“Wh-where are you going with this…?” he asks faintly. “Y-you’re not gonna, like, h-hurt me or anything? ‘Cause I’ll… I would fuckin’ rip your face off, dude, haha...” He lifts his feet faster.

“No, no, I’m not gonna… do anything, Jess. I just… need to be able to rely on you now. Please. For old times’ sake?”

“...What do you need, dude?”

The pidgeot blinks. That reminds me to blink. I hadn’t done so in quite a while.

“I… need you to not tell anyone what you saw. Can you do that?”

Jess glances at my hand. The one with the ultra ball. “Y-yeah.”

I minimize the ball and hide it deeper in my fist. “I wouldn’t do anything if you said no,” I say slowly. All my words are slow. But these ones are a lie.

“I know. I… I wanna help you out, dude,” Jess says. “I’m your ace, haha.”

I carve a smile onto my face. “Thanks, Jess.” I dare let my eyes off him now.

Silence comes and lasts for eight seconds.

“I should go to sleep,” says Jess.

“That’s a good idea,” I reply. “I should too.”

Stiffly, he spreads his wings and flits down off the couch. He paces to the stairs and begins climbing. I don’t relax until he’s out of sight. Or after it.

I only hope I can trust you, my ace.

---

ms_tanner_by_wolframclaws_dcuhs7n-pre.png

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
My Review

To be honest I was going into this fanfic blindly without reading what you have to say at the top so I chuckled a bit that this seems to be a serious take on the Lord Helix meme lol with drama, love and... well I didn't read past Chapter 1 so still reading this blindly.

First off, I like how this story kicks off with the relationship between Red and Omastar in his final days before reincarnated as Lord Helix (gonna call Omanyte, Lord Helix for now on). Although Red sees him as his master, it really does seem like the two are good friends as seen in Red's thoughts on Omastar's final days, that he's experienced this before but it seems like it doesn't get easier each time the reincarnation happens which is why I find interesting how this sets up a reverse relationship of Pokemon evolution here. Instead of Red having an Omanyte that matures into an experienced and wise Omastar, it's Omastar reincarnated as a noobish, seemingly easily frightened, love-struck Omanyte in it's youth with Red acting less of a trainer to be honest and more like a Pokemon breeder/parent. Although I didn't read the top, I did see the fanart featuring Inkay or Shirley as she is called in the fanfic and this is part of a mystery that Ch. 1 has kicked off. Why is Omanyte seemingly fallen in love with an Inkay compared to previous reincarnations where Red claims that Lord Helix has shown no interest in other Pokemon. I have a hunch that it has to do with Inkay's final evolution, the sinister-looking Malamar considering you did brought up the fact that Inkay is a dark-type even though it doesn't look like one behind that adorable appearance. It's an interesting but funny take on the concept of where someone gets extremely jealous of his best friend's lady friend and suddenly notices that his best friend is spending more time with that lady friend then with him, realizing he's growing up and for some reason he kind of hates it. The difference is that this is Red and Lord Helix, a god lol.

So to sum it up, the story flows pretty good with the prologue and Ch. 1 but I had a few issues. The setting felt kind of lost at times. In the prologue, I didn't really know where Red & Omastar was unless that was intentional but this was nevertheless easier to pick up on the story since it consistently stayed in one location. In Ch. 1 on the other hand, this part transitions from location to locations and this is where I had to re-read some things to get an idea where I was. I believe at first it was near the train tracks and later transitioned into Bozo's room and it took me a while to grasp what was happening in these locations but it's probably just me but I do have one question? What's with all the talking Pokemon? Lord Helix I can understand but then there was that Pidgeot. Is Red like a psychic or something? Also I'm not big on grammar but one thing I did noticed was the consistent capitalization of his, him or he when referring to Lord Helix that I started to wonder if this was really an error or more like an intentional creative choice. I wonder if that will ever be explained, unless I missed the explanation, or if it's meant to go with the flow as I do believe this may catch some grammar-obsessed people off-guard.