• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Self Defense

LDSman

Here's a couple more self defense cases.

This one is claiming to be SYG.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...r-shooting-stand-your-ground-defense/6643153/

Based on the video? It's not. Sure her mom did attack her but she went into the teller's area and came out with the gun. She could have locked her mom out of the store or out of the teller's area and called the police. If the shooting had happened during the initial scuffle? Then it would have been self defense.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20140320/NEWS01/140329864

Fight broke out, man gets stabbed. Stabber claims self defense but the testimony apparently paints him as the aggressor so it's not self defense.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...-suspect-who-claimed-self-defense-stabbing-16

Another self defense claim. 3 to 6 people attack one person over something he said and a sixteen yr old ends up stabbed and dead. Sad, but it was self defense. Family and friends claim the deceased was not a violent person but the evidence showed differently.

edit:

An interesting list of cases that invoked Stand Your Ground. SYG does not exempt you from trial if it is determined that you were at fault.

http://www.tampabay.com/stand-your-ground-law/fatal-cases

Last edited:

BJPalmer85

Found out recently that my state (Kentucky) is a SYG state. Interesting

B

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
Aight, it's simple. If someone wants to hurt you, and you're able to fight back, fight back. Don't let the mugger mug you if you have means of defense, it is your right to defend yourself by any means possible. If it means ending that person's life, too bad for them, they started it. If you get hurt, at least you defended yourself. If you don't have a means of defense, well, it's a pity. I at least don't want to be trampled on by criminals, and I don't want others to either. Self defense is one of the most useful things to learn in your life. I believe it is smart for people to have weapons for self-defense, as long as they are trained to use it properly.

The problem comes when people only think there is a problem, and shoot first. I just say, if you're intelligent enough to pass a citizenship test as a normal citizen, you're smart enough to defend yourself.

Love you.

Maedar

Banned
The problem comes when people only think there is a problem, and shoot first. I just say, if you're intelligent enough to pass a citizenship test as a normal citizen, you're smart enough to defend yourself.

Interesting statement, Raven. Tell me, are YOU smart enough to pass the citizenship test?

Seriously, many natural born citizens have flunked it. Why don't we find out.

In the Citizenship Test, the applicant is asked ten oral questions that are randomly chosen out of a hundred possibilities. He has to get at least six correct to pass. (By the way, six out of ten means 60%, which is considered a failing score on most high school exams, so they get off easy, right? Well, maybe, maybe not.) So I'll choose ten out of the one-hundred using a computer-generated selector to choose between 1 and 100 ten times. Let's see how many natural-born citizens can pass.

And no using Google to cheat!

1. What is the supreme law of the land?

2. What is the “rule of law”?

3. Name your U.S. Representative. (I confess, even I got this one wrong.)

4. What does the President’s Cabinet do?

5. What is the political party of the President now? (I know, easy, but I'm sticking to the system.)

6. When must all men register for the Selective Service?

7. What is one thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for? (There are five acceptable answers.)

8. Who was President during World War I?

9. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States.

10. Why does the flag have 13 stripes?

So, can you pass? If you couldn't without having to look up any of the answers, maybe you should cut the immigrants a break.

Last edited:

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
Interesting statement, Raven. Tell me, are YOU smart enough to pass the citizenship test?

Seriously, many natural born citizens have flunked it. Why don't we find out.

In the Citizenship Test, the applicant is asked ten oral questions that are randomly chosen out of a hundred possibilities. He has to get at least six correct to pass. (By the way, six out of ten means 60%, which is considered a failing score on most high school exams, so they get off easy, right? Well, maybe, maybe not.) So I'll choose ten out of the one-hundred using a computer-generated selector to choose between 1 and 100 ten times. Let's see how many natural-born citizens can pass.

So, can you pass? If you couldn't without having to look up any of the answers, maybe you should cut the immigrants a break.

I am not bashing immigrants. I was talking about people who don't even care about our country. I am all for immigration, but that is not the point of the debate. I'll admit, I didn't know a few questions, but hey, I ain't perfect. I'll admit, I strayed too much from the topic, and I apologize.

Maedar, I have a question for you. How else would people defend themselves, if not with weapons? If you say martial arts, what if they are physically weak, or unable to brawl? Or do you just say people should lay down and be trampled, without fighting back?

Maedar

Banned
I am not bashing immigrants. I was talking about people who don't even care about our country.

I think you were.

What does it say on the Statue of Liberty's plaque? So many people seem to have forgotten that. If Boehner would simply cooperate and stop blocking the President's attempts to reform immigration, the problem would be solved, but Boehner and the Tea Party are petrified that more legalized immigrants will mean more votes for the Democrats.

BigLutz

Banned
I think you were.

What does it say on the Statue of Liberty's plaque? So many people seem to have forgotten that. If Boehner would simply cooperate and stop blocking the President's attempts to reform immigration, the problem would be solved, but Boehner and the Tea Party are petrified that more legalized immigrants will mean more votes for the Democrats.

"if you're intelligent enough to pass a citizenship test as a normal citizen, you're smart enough to defend yourself"

There is nothing in there bashing immigrants, infact he is praising immigrants as they are passing the citizen ship test. If you want to debate illegal immigration in Congress I will take you up on it in the election thread.

Maedar

Banned
"if you're intelligent enough to pass a citizenship test as a normal citizen, you're smart enough to defend yourself"

He didn't even TRY to answer the questions I took straight from the test to prove he IS smart enough. By his own words, my test should have been sufficient, but he snubbed it. And neither did you.

BigLutz

Banned
He didn't even TRY to answer the questions I took straight from the test to prove he IS smart enough. By his own words, my test should have been sufficient, but he snubbed it. And neither did you.

Because it is no way relevant to the discussion of self defense?

Maedar

Banned
Because it is no way relevant to the discussion of self defense?

You aren't the one who should be talking, Lutz, Revan is the one who put down the hypothetical guidelines, and I posted an actual test with questions taken directly from the Department of Immigration to challenge him, and see if HE could meet those guidelines. (Because I knew that many naturally-born citizens who look up that test and try to take it, flunk it. Badly. It's ironic, actually.)

BigLutz

Banned
Back on the topic of self defense.... it seems those in Detroit are finally stepping up for themselves.

DetroitNews said:
“It does appear more and more Detroiters are becoming empowered,” Craig said. “More and more Detroiters are getting sick of the violence. I know of no other place where I’ve seen this number of justifiable homicides. It’s interesting that these incidents go across gender lines.” …

Among the recent incidents:

-On March 7, a woman in her 50s shot and killed a man trying to break into her home in the 22000 block of Grove Street. She heard noises at her rear window and shot the intruder in the chest.

-At 2 a.m. Feb. 22, two men broke into a house on the city’s southwest side; the homeowner shot both men. A 21-year-old man died and the other man escaped.

-Earlier on Feb. 22, at 12:30 a.m., a woman who was surprised by a gunman when she pulled her car into the garage was able to reach for her own gun and fatally shoot the man.

-A woman on Feb. 17 opened fire on three teens who kicked in her door. The alleged intruders, ages 14, 14 and 15, were caught by police and charged with home invasion. …

“This should be a message to those who continue to perpetuate violence on Detroiters that enough is enough. You’ve got to be concerned about good Detroiters who aren’t going to stand for it,” Craig said. “Detroiters are fed up and they are taking action.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...roit-homeowner-kills-2-suspects-home-invasion

LDSman

Maedar, I have a question for you. How else would people defend themselves, if not with weapons? If you say martial arts, what if they are physically weak, or unable to brawl? Or do you just say people should lay down and be trampled, without fighting back?

I actually would like to see Maeder respond to this.

What is your prefered method of self defense and why?

Darth Revan

Coming Out!