• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands - Sovereignty competition between two largest Asian countries

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
The Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands issue is currently the largest politic affair in China and Japan.

Currently (Well, not really 'currently', because it was quite long ago), China claimed that island is their own land since ancient history. On the other hand, Japan claimed the island is their own land by international law. Both sides stand firmly to their own reasoning, and is now leading to a situation of almost ready to confront each other with military force.

I wanted to ask these questions to see different people's views about this issue:
1) Which country do you think Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands belongs to? and Why?
2) What do you think China and Japan government will do on their next move?

By historical view, Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands was actually an island without owner. China was the first one to discover the island, but never take actual action to claim dominion for that island. Therefore it actually has no right to claim that island is them after Japan had took physical action to claim dominion.
To my viewpoint, China (especially the current China ruled by the Communist Party) was always barefaced and shameless towards claimable affairs, despite whether the claimable item is really their own things or not. It may have the guts to flame this affair towards the direction of military confront, but I don't expect China to win. China was in fact always the loser according to historical wars in its country.

P.S. But however, just merely my personal view, I hope this affair will expand to become local war, where China lose towards Japan, then China will not be so arrogant in some later future.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I hope this affair will expand to become local war

You're not going to be convincing many people your argument is valid if you close it out by wishing two countries would engage in war with each other, and that the one you like less loses so they can get their purported hubris shoved back in their faces. If you don't understand why that is not cool, perhaps you shouldn't be trying to make debate posts.

I'm... not sure how much of a debate this is, though. Seems more like a discussion topic to me.

Dryzera

Banned
You're not going to be convincing many people your argument is valid if you close it out by wishing two countries would engage in war with each other, and that the one you like less loses so they can get their purported hubris shoved back in their faces. If you don't understand why that is not cool, perhaps you shouldn't be trying to make debate posts.

I'm... not sure how much of a debate this is, though. Seems more like a discussion topic to me.

Oh come on. Not that I agree with him, but there's no reason why you need to question his place here just because they said something you disagree with.

My view is that China is growing power in the region, and that they are very well aware of this. So, they are going to take any route to assert strategic/military dominance in the region. They do not have a claim. They probably even know they don't have a claim. China just doesn't care and they know if they're going to grab for territory that they're going to have to at least pretend to go about doing it the proper way.

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
If Japan has legal right to the island, it deserves to keep it. It doesn't matter that ancient China used to have control of it. If it did, we'd have to give to America back to its natives.

I didn't know that Japan still had a military after WWII.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
It's my understanding that these are uninhabitated islands that have only become important because oil was discovered there. If Japan owns them under international law, and there are no natives to object or choose the nation they want to be a part of, then Japan should keep the islands.

Flame Mistress

What, so China's the one being "arrogant"? Excuse me? If anything, the arrogant one here is Japan, who's been trying to claim every island in sight. Have you heard about the Liancourt Rocks? That island (or islands, I'm not sure) is South Korean property by law, yet Japan still claims that it's theirs. And I've heard that that's not the only one.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Oh come on. Not that I agree with him, but there's no reason why you need to question his place here just because they said something you disagree with.

I think it's pretty reasonable, considering he wished war would befall two countries (not cool) and then hoped one would lose out of what sounds like pure spite. It has nothing to do with me disagreeing and everything to do with that being a positively shitty thing to say, ever, no matter which countries are involved.

7 tyranitars

That was one of the terms in their surrender.

They do have a de facto militairy. It is a self defense unit that sometimes goes on non combat missions.

Raymond - king of ducks

Yes. Why wouldn't it?

Because leaving a now non-threatening country defenseless for the best part of a century is shoe on head retarded?

By the way, the actual japanese militiary was merely disarmed, not destroyed. Once liberated, there was no reason to leave the country without the ability to defend itself.

609Chandelure

Japan has full rights to the islands so why shouldn't they have control over the islands . China is trying to assert their dominance like even with India they disagree to recognise their border with India .

7 tyranitars

What, so China's the one being "arrogant"? Excuse me? If anything, the arrogant one here is Japan, who's been trying to claim every island in sight. Have you heard about the Liancourt Rocks? That island (or islands, I'm not sure) is South Korean property by law, yet Japan still claims that it's theirs. And I've heard that that's not the only one.

Have you not heard about Tibet? or parts of India and Pakistan or even Taiwan? Land that China claims as theirs? It is easy to make Japan look like the arrogant one but China is doing exactly the same.

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
I think it's pretty reasonable, considering he wished war would befall two countries (not cool) and then hoped one would lose out of what sounds like pure spite. It has nothing to do with me disagreeing and everything to do with that being a positively shitty thing to say, ever, no matter which countries are involved.

who would ever think that someone with an obvious bias towards Japan would want one of Japan's bloodiest and most hated enemies to lose to a war with...Japan

:rolleyes:

Floette

Fennekin
P.S. But however, just merely my personal view, I hope this affair will expand to become local war, where China lose towards Japan, then China will not be so arrogant in some later future.

That is really an awful statement. I don't care who you support, war should not be something we hope for. You do realize that both Chinese AND Japanese lives would be lost?

I have no opinion in the matter. I am not Japanese or Chinese. However, I find it awful that you are hoping for war of any sort.

Flame Mistress

That is really an awful statement. I don't care who you support, war should not be something we hope for. You do realize that both Chinese AND Japanese lives would be lost?

I have no opinion in the matter. I am not Japanese or Chinese. However, I find it awful that you are hoping for war of any sort.

Seconded. Why on earth would you want a WAR just so that China will "realise how arrogant they are"? Plus, it's not just Chinese and Japanese lives that will be lost... think about other countries... *shudder*

Nyula

i like razors
i have no doubt in my mind that this is just another piece in the elites puzzle; this is all part of world war three. the war wont just be fought in eran and the middle east, the elites are going to burn the entire world and this 'disptue' is their excuse for a war in northeast asia.

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
"Pff, what're these? Useless little islands of no significance. Not even worth our time."

"Hey, China, if you're not gonna take 'em, can we have them?"

"Sure, Japan, whatev's, no prob."

SOME TIME LATER

"Oh hey! These islands seem to have something valuable under them!"

"JAPAN YOU DIRTY THIEF THOSE ARE OUR ISLANDS. YOU STOLE OUR ISLANDS WE DEMAND THEM BACK CAPITALIST PIG DOGS. CHINA 4EVER #YOLO"

And that's pretty much the extent of the argument. China is acting like a spoiled brat over a bunch of islands it never cared about or even officially claimed because someone else found something valuable underneath them.