1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Sep 15th: XY&Z042/43 - Pocket Monsters XY&Z 1 Hour Special

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTobias

MasterTobias Well-Known Member

For me had he lost an onscreen battle outside of bigger Gary sues like the primals and the Elite 4,he would have been fine.Or if his flaws were not being forgiven so easily but we all know once this is over,not only will he be forgiven but he will be given the Hero Medal which he will put in his baggy pockets right next to his League Trophy.

2. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

For one, I'm sure Alan burned that League Trophy as scrap metal for his Charizard. And since when are primals Gary Sues? Just because they're strong and shown their strength? Manon can easily forgive him, she wouldn't hold a grudge on him just because he yelled at her. It's not an end to their friendship. And she didn't forgive nor talk to him right away. She had Hari san to worry about and a time skip happened where she was with Lysandre, cheering him on. You should know that Manon wouldn't leave Alan even if he's against her staying. It's been shown multiple times (her stalking him after their brief encounter, Alan telling her to not come to Hoenn; she does anyway) She knows that even if he says he's against her joining him on a journey or whatever, he wouldn't physically nor aggressively stop her. He shrugs it off and let her do what she wants to do. If anything, she know that it's for her own good and know what Alan is thinking but her constant worrying towards him and what her heart & actions think otherwise. Platane hasn't met with Alan yet but he knows that he's a lost pure soul who was manipulated by Lysandre. Not to mention, his beloved assistant and it's unknown if Platane (or anyone who isn't Manon, Team Flare, Champion Daigo to an extent, and Lysandre) is even aware that he worked with Team Flare. All he know is that Alan went off on a quest to learn more about Mega Evolution. Had Manon been held as a hostage, Alan would've most likely kept with working with Team Flare despite not wanting to. And more people would be aware of his involvement. It's a good thing he never wore a Team Flare suit.

I think the Hero Medal will go towards Ash who is, as far as we've seen, is bringing in all the action and attention. Alan doesn't seem interested in it anyway but he'll still take it if given to him because he's passive. :p

3. MasterTobias

MasterTobias Well-Known Member

Well primals are more of a god mode sues i guess,i heard that sleep does wonders but damn,after their rampage was stopped by ash the next time they wake up they got a new form.

Of course i knew that Manon would forgive him and i had no problem with that,i was just pointing out to the other user that these 'flaws' he mentioned are one of these flaws that do not matter in the end since they are forgiven right away,which is another common trait for Gary sues since even when they have flaws they are forgiven right away like they don't even matter.Don't get me wrong i like Alain's character but not the way they handled him.

I doubt Alain would burn the memento of his bromance with Ash.As for the Hero Medal,we don't even know if it exists in the anime,it may be given to Ash,to Alain or everybody or Greninja cuts it in half so Alain and Ash share it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  4. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Oh but he is, he hasn't lost since his debut. All he has been since is this unstoppable Mega Charizard X slaying machine which nothing can stop. You really should research what a Stu is.

5. Blue Saturday

Blue Saturday too fly

Lost to E4 Zumi, was getting manhandled by Daigo, his Lizardo got knocked out by Lys's Kaenjinshi, almost got killed by Primals and it was a big deal because he realizes how much stronger he has to be as a trainer for his Pokemon since sake since Lizardon almost got killed by that stunt, again, watch the acts. Also if the end segments are any indication he's lost to many others Mega Pokemon off screen. I think you should research what a Gary Stu is because winning and being strong doesn't make a character a Stu on principle especially when said strength has been very much warranted by the fact that Alan had been training like a mad man since day one to an obsessive and almost unhealthy degree, he has a laundry list of character flaws as well in addition to being strong as well. He isn't praised by everyone for anything either and is constantly made aware of his screw ups by the narrative. Again, if he didn't knocked Satoshi and that dumb frog out of the league no one would be saying anything about this, of course he beat the frog. Lizardon X is a very strong and hard working with a stronger bond with Alan than Satoshi does with frog, there is literally no contest on which Pokemon has battled more and harder opponents since the beginning of XY. When his Gekkouga was still a Keromatsu, Alan mega evolving Lizardon and fighting E4 members, he was so far ahead in evolution and might.

Forgiven? Did you watch the preleague setup for him and the other TSME character? Manon was still shown to be uncomfy around him and Alan was still shown to be very apprehensive about what he wanted to do, if Manon even wanted to travel with him anymore even with Hari-san awake. Their relationship is still not okay, it hasn't been okay since Act 3 nearly a year again.

6. Locormus

Locormus Can we please get the old forum back?

Same animé that had a flock of Vivillon at the beginning of the series.. xD

Because Ash is the main character and Greninja has been the focal point of this arc, when it comes to Ash? It is only fitting, no need to make a fuss about it.

Thank you.

Yeah, Sawyer was shown to be a cut above the rest of the competition sans Ash and Alan, and Diantha is just getting shat on by the staff. First Ash seemingly is close enough to damage her Mega Gardevoir and now she gets assigned to "civic service".. While Steven comes in and absolutely wrecks the Lysandre Labs on arrival.

Yeah, hypocrits are everywhere.

Though I'd acknowledge that Siebold has a status that makes it easier for anybody to accept the loss. I mean, the likes of Remo, Astrid, Ash, Sawyer, whoever he slaughtered, they're just regular trainers. Siebold is an E4. That's an entirely different cake to take down. Especially when you factor in the general type-disadvantage, and the fact that it had a Mega Launcher boosted Dragon Pulse to nuke MC-X with. Losing to an E4 is different then losing to random trainer with a Mega Evolution #38.

That's a very convenient way of ignoring that he lost in his debut and thus is beatable. Lets face it, Alan is a trainer with a very strong Mega Charizard X, strong enough to overwhelm most other Mega Evolutions, until he meets a character that actually has the chops to stop him, E4 and Champion-level, like Siebold or Steven. The fact that Malva lost to him, might just be because Malva's Houndoom didn't have the tools to counter MC-X much and is a frail species to begin with, unlike Siebold's Mega Blastoise with a Mega Launcher boosted Dragon Pulse.

7. Kazuki Mirai

Kazuki Mirai Well-Known Member

And her Houndoom lost the immunity to Fire-Type attacks once it Mega Evolve. That said, if she didn't Mega Evolve, her Houndoom would not be able to take on the assault of a Mega Evolved Charizard either. Usually Elite Four do well despite type disadvantages. But then again, Aaron who was seen as the weakest Elite Four in Sinnoh was the only one to knock out Cynthia's Garchomp. So many factors can result in victory.

8. sheld999

sheld999 Well-Known Member

this is going to be awesome. i can see TR taking the credit for taking down TF to their boss

9. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Copy and paste is your friend.

10. Hero of Truth

Hero of Truth Lillie Fan

So I looked on who writes this 1-hour special and it's Tomioka. Wow, the guy has probably broken his record on writing episodes on a row for this anime, I mean 5 episodes in a row can be too much for a writer...

Not complaining though, the TF arc's awesome and hopefully it ends GREAT!

11. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

Nah, he wrote five episodes in a row back during the DP days,, took a week off, wrote another, took two weeks off and then wrote another 3. So, not quite yet broken unless he also write the one following it.

But yes, he certainly is one of the best.

12. thiagomestres

thiagomestres Well-Known Member

So Alain is quite good at battling, but not perfect, as you can see when he fought against Siebold, and personality wise he is far from being perfect, after all, let's not forget what he did to the Blue Puni-chan and how rude he was to Manon and Sycamore.
    Meanwhile, Steven is extremely good looking, extremely kind, has a perfect personality and has only been portrayed as being spectacular at battling. Yet no one calls him a Gary Stu.
    I wonder why that's. Maybe it has something to do with the League, just maybe...

13. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ There's no tina

That pretty much sums it up lol

14. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

I think a large part of the difference, to me at least, lies in intention. Alain was created as a character with numerous flaws who was meant to develop and change...only these flaws are never acknowledged by anyone else in the universe. Steven, meanwhile, is meant to be introduced as a great Champion in personality and skill. He's static and he's there for a purpose which isn't to grow. He's not going to get character development because one can assume that by the time he's reached this point...he's already gotten it.

Honestly, I felt Alain was breaching Gary Stu levels even before the League, XYZ 36 pushed it further, and depending on how he's handled if everything is brushed off from his role with no negative impact, that's a red flag.

15. sharkie912

sharkie912 Member

Ignoring the guy with the alan signature that no one should have taken seriously as hard as they did.

I love how people defending alan's character twist up the order in which things happened to make it seem like he was a well written character. His Charmeleon lost to Lysandre, not Charizard. He lost to Siebold in **Act 1**. This is before he fought steven, before he fought the primals, and before he fought Malva and Zygarde.

Charizard was not visibly weakened during the steven fight like he was during the 10 mega battle. Under no circumstances would it have been ok for a charizard to put up a fight against Primals;not even steven's metagross did much. It just delayed things until Rayquaza showed up and team flare swiped the megalith.

But you're honestly trying to say running through 9 people non stop and then one shotting an Elite 4's mega is okay...? He then went on to basically one shot his way through the league up until the fight with Ash-Greninja and then walked away unscathed after pikachu getting a few hits in and the over hyped destructo disk.

Other than Metagross where the **** did the 4 other pokemon come from that he miraculously raised to be on par with ash's team that's not native to kalos? (especially that bisharp). Alan's character is just as bad as every other league rival and in some cases he's far worse. The writing surrounding him is a joke.

16. satopi

satopi Go’s Scyther is indestriketible! <3

He didn't defeat IKUZEfrog in the Finals... Nobody would dare criticize the God Champion Daigo. :D He also hasn't been shown much and all he did was help out and had an interrupted battle with Alan. He did nothing wrong. He's strong considering that he's the Champion and the anime is showing his Mega Metagross' strength. He's very formal and polite (expected since he works at his own restaurant as a waiter) but I'm sure there's a goofy side to him we've haven't seen or was subtly hinted.

The arc isn't finished yet and who knows how many people are actually aware that he worked for Team Flare.
    And besides, he has made a negative impact. Was he called out for it? Yes, by both Lysandre and Ash and given Ash's character, he doesn't care what Alan did in the past. What only matters is the future and the people and planet he loves so dearly enough to protect. Alan admits his wrong doings, realizing that he wasn't protecting Manon & Hari san but putting them more in danger. It wasn't something that he asked for and even he himself wondered what in the hell was he fighting for anyway. It was his own ideal and pure thinking that tricked him into thinking everything that he worked for was all for the greater good.

I highly doubt anyone in universe has ever seen Alan as perfect on what he does. His actions brought havoc to Lumiose City and he realized that when Lysandre broke it to him. His redemption to turn good was early enough where he wasn't too deep in a dark place. And even Sycamore suspected something from him. If anything, Lysandre is going to be the fall guy seeing as though this is all his doing. Alan and Pakira helped but it's unknown whether or not they'll be punished for their involvement. If it happens or not, Alan would have to learn to be less naïve, oblivious, and such a pet to someone like Lysandre.

17. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

XY&Z44 is Fujita.

18. Jibanyan

Jibanyan Well-Known Member

Can't wait for Manon to get the the farthest as possible from Alan. She hasn't gained a single thing from him.

19. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

She gained Fla-chan. If it's still alive.

20. Janovy

Janovy Banned

That's funny cuz Alain specifically instructed Manon to stay away from him and yet she persisted anyway.

Anything that happened to her is her own fault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.