• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 13th: PM2019 037 - I'm Back! Nice to See You, Alola!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Without watching the series, that is actually eerily close to what I guessed we got.

This has successfully reminded me to continue to avoid this pathetic excuse of a show. This whole franchise is just turning more and more into a pathetic gravy train.
It was already a gravy train, have you not seen the nose-diving quality of the games, the Pokémon Special manga and the shilling of Pokémon GO. It’s the most profitable franchise in the whole world (and popular with casuals and normies now) , you can put so little quality into it and get so much payoff you would have to be an idiot to stop or do more than necessary from a financial standpoint. That being said the anime use to be waaaaaay more formulaic from the OS - XY: era. They’re at least trying to be different each saga to an extent and do new things rather than copy-paste a bunch of episodes over and over. Constant rehashes of OS and KAAAAANNNNTTTTOOOOooo artifacts are the norm now.

No matter how poor the overall quality of the content gets people will still consume, buy and watch as evidenced by SwSh being some of the emptiest and weakest and controversial games but record-breaking. (At double the price and on a whole new console too.)

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Ash: hey, I can defy old age, why can't I leave Alola and still be the champ?
Same league that allows a Magikarp trainer to enter and...somehow not be ridiculed by everyone for more than 10 seconds and literally allowing a gang criminal participate with the whole intention to destroy(?) said league, out loud, to the actual creator's face. Priorities aren't that league's best suit.

Same league that allows a Magikarp trainer to enter and...somehow not be ridiculed by everyone for more than 10 seconds and literally allowing a gang criminal participate with the whole intention to destroy(?) said league, out loud, to the actual creator's face. Priorities aren't that league's best suit.
I don't understand what it has to do with my post. I never talk about league level (though I consider it to be amateur level).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I don't understand what it has to do with my post. I never talk about league level (though I consider it to be amateur level).
It's nothing about league level.

I'm ridiculing the fact the league is just...strangely structured that allows way too many liberties to its participants, which is also why the league doesn't seem to care its only winner/champion is not even willing to stay to defend their title (like in the games).

You could have Giovanni announce he is the leader of Team Rocket while participating, and yet the police wouldn't budge.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
With the current set up of simply having the series name Pokemon and having the series being mostly episodic the crew can just keep this formula going for even longer than the 1997-2002 Pokemon series. I wouldn't worry about there not being very many episodes outside of Kantou. There's still more episodes set in other regions than there were in any of the other series, barring the 1997 series for obvious reasons.

wertyuiop[

For a show based on traveling around the Pokemon world, we really have been getting a ton of Kanto ones instead, huh... I'm really hoping this changes as time goes on to be honest haha.
The lab is in Kanto so any lab or Kohaku focused episode will be a Kanto episode by default.

The lab is in Kanto so any lab or Kohaku focused episode will be a Kanto episode by default.
Well of course I know that. But it would be nice to have more episodes set in other regions too.
It'll be interesting to see if the OP is updated or not after this episode. A lot of people have speculated it'll update sporadically with the next set of returning characters (would be absolutely hilarious if they put Chuck in their for instance.) I think we'll see these characters at least once or twice more either way, but if they don't update it at all, I'd say them being a permanent fixture of the OP would definitely imply a more prolonged role in the series going forward.
I thought that this was the most popular speculation already. At least it was the first thing that came in mind for me considering they do change up the openings at times to accommodate new changes. So I feel like it would make perfectly sense in this case since the Alola gang only show up for a few seconds in the opening and could easily be replaced with other returning characters.

J. D. Guy

It was already a gravy train, have you not seen the nose-diving quality of the games, the Pokémon Special manga and the shilling of Pokémon GO. It’s the most profitable franchise in the whole world (and popular with casuals and normies now) , you can put so little quality into it and get so much payoff you would have to be an idiot to stop or do more than necessary from a financial standpoint. That being said the anime use to be waaaaaay more formulaic from the OS - XY: era. They’re at least trying to be different each saga to an extent and do new things rather than copy-paste a bunch of episodes over and over. Constant rehashes of OS and KAAAAANNNNTTTTOOOOooo artifacts are the norm now.

No matter how poor the overall quality of the content gets people will still consume, buy and watch as evidenced by SwSh being some of the emptiest and weakest and controversial games but record-breaking. (At double the price and on a whole new console too.)

I admit, I am surprised to hear you say this. (You, specifically, as I did not peg you as one of those types.) This is kind of an insulting, sweeping opinion to have. Isn't it?

It sometimes feels like I'm the only one who still unambiguously and unironically loves and enjoys this franchise. :(

Blue Saturday

I admit, I am surprised to hear you say this. (You, specifically, as I did not peg you as one of those types.) This is kind of an insulting, sweeping opinion to have. Isn't it?

It sometimes feels like I'm the only one who still unambiguously and unironically loves and enjoys this franchise. :(
I mean I love Pokémon and the franchise as a whole and have a life long passion for it but there’s definitely been a certain quality drop in several areas of its handling in some regards.

The point I was making is this franchise is a gravy train and I’ll admit. At this point Pokemon pretty much owns my behind because in spite of it all I still consume, buy and support the franchise. So why tend to the needs of loyal fans like me when you can appeal to more encompassing and less loyal casuals and get more bang for your buck so to speak?

I don’t like Pokémon GO but my coworkers and several of my classmates do and they’re casuals so whether I like it or not GO, Let’s GO and Kanto elements are here to stay. Who cares if a niche Pokémon I like and feel needs more screen time and shine gets that when most people are okay with Lizardon, Gengar, Pikachu, etc.?

Pokémon was huge back in the day in the west, it then went back to being kind of nerdy and niche then around the end of high school it exploded again and became “normal” for people to like. My 38-year-old boss literally goes to Pokémon Go Days at the local park.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I'm 29 and have been watching Pokemon since OS. Honestly, I don't think the anime has a drop in quality. If anything SM followed by XY are my favourite series and Journeys still has a lot of potential to be just as amazing.

I'm not saying that everything is better now than back in the day. Each series has a few things it does a lot better than other series. But overall, I personally think they're doing great the past few years.

Blue Saturday

I'm 29 and have been watching Pokemon since OS. Honestly, I don't think the anime has a drop in quality. If anything SM followed by XY are my favourite series and Journeys still has a lot of potential to be just as amazing.

I'm not saying that everything is better now than back in the day. Each series has a few things it does a lot better than other series. But overall, I personally think they're doing great the past few years.
I think the anime actually improved with its formula change after XY; the quality drop was mostly referencing the polarizing to controversial games starting with e 3DS-era. Everyone expecting 3D Pokémon to be a groundbreaking change in handling and quality and being disappointed with XY. Everyone expecting SwSh to be some super amazing messiah games and them being pretty controversial. I guess I’ve grown to a point where I love this franchise but simply accept its probably “not for” people like me so I feel less inclined to act entitled about the questionable choices it makes for the sake of its appeal toward more casualized crowds and children?

RafaSceptile

People say that because after DP, the subsequent series finally dared to change several things making the anime more original, also the Pokémon anime never had such brilliant writing to say that pre-DP was better done than post-DP

Red and Blue

I'm ridiculing the fact the league is just...strangely structured that allows way too many liberties to its participants, which is also why the league doesn't seem to care its only winner/champion is not even willing to stay to defend their title (like in the games)
If they need Ash to defend his title they can just ask him to come back to the region for a battle, lol. That could even be the premise for one of the next Alolan trips

Jibanyan

The anime is better than the games now rip.

Status
Not open for further replies.