• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 15th: SM139 - He's Born! The Alolan League Winner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I mean, there’s no reason for Gary to be that strong, either. He just is. The same can be said about Gladion and a lot of other rivals in the show, really. The show almost always has Ash be inferior to his rivals when realistically he should be much stronger, but there always needs to be a challenge for him to overcome. Otherwise, where’s the fun if his rivals are busy being punching bags?

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Thing is, Ash winning could--and probably will--suck too.

From the start I have NOT been comfortable with Ash winning the Alola League because he barely even counts a trainer this saga. Melmetal makes me even less enthusiastic about it, because Ash winning because his-nigh random Mythical evolved would be as cheal as a paper plate in a dollar store.

So win or lose, it's going to suck for a lot of people. (BTW, I'd rather he lost)
I get that, yeah. Again, I was directing it toward the people who assume Fujikasu being assigned as writer means Ash is going to lose. That's weird reasoning, especially since it's probably not his decision. He most likely got a scenario and had to expand it to create the episode.

And I understand the Melmetal stuff but, like, I'm bummed for an entirely different reason. The anime is another arm for marketing merch and the games and whatnot. Yes, Lycanroc's popular, has plenty of merchandise, and is probably loved by kids. At the same time, though, I feel like if I were around ten years old again, nothing would've gotten me more excited than seeing than the finals of the Alola League coming down to a big standoff between this titanic mech-looking-thing that's a fusion of a bunch of little metal guys and this weird, Frankenstein-esque monster that can change types. And it would be a good way to keep promotion Go, Let's Go, and potentially SwSh since it'd be all too easy for Meltan and Melmetal to show up in Galar.

Yes, the Lycanroc have the rivalry (and their respective Z-Moves), but Legendary vs. Mythical sounds flashier on paper. I don't know... maybe the consensus among kids over in Japan is different or something. Regardless, it does leave me scratching my head. Especially since the anime has been absurdly Legendary and Mythical-friendly. So, to shove them aside for a Lycanroc-off, again, feels anticlimactic. But that's just me.

Rohanator

Calling Melmetal a jobber due to losing to Silvally is stupid, Silvally is an established monster who logically would only lose to Pikachu from Ash's side. I'm glad Melmetal isn't treated like some unstoppable force just cause it's a mythical in the games, I'd almost consider it unfair if Ash only won the league because of it. As long as it battles well against someone like Silvally it'll earn my respect.

That said, evolving it only to lose IS a questionable writing choice so I'll just assume that this is a warm up of sorts and Melmetal will get to shine either VS Guzzlord or Kukui.

Mr-Nightmare_420

Just a dude who enjoys pokemon
As someone said in a conversation about this.

People are going to count this as another loss if Ash loses. But those same people won't call this a legitimate win if he wins. And everyone agreed that it was ridiculous that it was going to be viewed this way.

I on the hand would only feel the win as meaningless if they decide to retire Ash after this generation because Ash did not deserve to retire after this horrible generation when it comes to development of Ash and his Pokemon. Oh yeah sure there's countless move learning and slice of life episodes but they served no real purpose but to be like "HEY at least we are trying" rather than give his Pokemon the development they deserve. Although if Best Wishes is anything to go by, they will ignore development for a cheap gag, yeah sure different writers different styles, but SURELY they talk to each other, right.

And even though Delia and Oak show up, Ash deserves proper closure, not just simply an end to the Alola region including past characters showing up, and perhaps a major battle tournament where Ash uses ALL of his Pokemon against people from his past. All culminating in a final Ash episode where Ash reiterates his dream to be a Pokemon Master and walks off into the sunset with Pikachu. Fin. Not a horrible rush job, just because Ash is the Champion of Alola and we don't care and we move on with something else.

But I will consider this a win for Ash regardless, it makes no sense to belittle Ash when Ash has shown to be (in regards to the league) the strongest trainer, with Gladion only edging above him (like rivals are supposed to be for the protagonist). We've constantly seen his battles and his progress MORE than any character in the show. And while I'm sure there are suspicious reasonings, like Lycanroc defeating all of Nanu's Pokemon only to lose to Gladion's Lycanroc later, which creates this weird power logic problem, but I guess it comes down to strategy there.

I mean there was never any reason for Gladion to even be as strong as he was, and likely only had strong Pokemon because of their inherently raw power (like he who will not be named's Pokemon in Unova) he even completed the trials AFTER Ash. True I do get that Hapu wasn't the Kahuna yet, but look at how long it took for Gladion to defeat her or to even challenge her (more accurately), either he was doing other trials or he actually did fail against her, OR even maybe he was too busy doing other things.

But being a rival shouldn't have been an excuse for Gladion to be as strong as he was. Sure there's the whole Lillie protecting concept, but the anime is very different than the games, some of that motivation is lost however, outside of a normal brother caring for his sister. Though I do wonder if Lillie's trauma kind of made up for not being abducted by Team Skull. But even still stronger than Ash? Like other trainers, sure, but Ash? Only because he's the rival?

That's why I think Ash deserves this, at the very least he deserves this because he only has to defeat Gladion, and I do think Gladion could be defeated by Ash if the writers would stop screwing him over. And if Ash defeats Gladion then he deserves to win the league.
I haven't signed into this account for a long time. But this wall of text contained nothing but FACTS that I had to give it a like. Keep the dream going big fella

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
(I still believe using those drives mid battle is wrong, and I am not changing my mind on that)

How's what Gladion did with his drives any different from other trainers using their own items mid battle like Z- crystals and Mega stones during the league?

Cradily17

I really think that Ash is going to win the league this time. Between Ash having an established rivalry with Masked Royal and the upcoming Gen 8 anime saga being a reboot, there's no way he can lose this time.

Rohanator

Given that Pikachu's shocked reaction in the preview can only be about Melmetal but Ash looks excited I think Melmetal will do some really crazy stuff and prove its strength, but ultimately fail due to both itself and Ash not being used to battling with its new form, while their opponent is literally like Gladion's main ace. Easily made up for later if the writers so wish.

Next ep's description is most likely describing THIS episode like with the 2nd Ash VS Guzma episode so I think this episode will end right after Zoroark's disguise is busted, and we get all of Silvally's fights here, and Pikachu VS Zoroark and Lycanroc VS Lycanroc next ep. Ash and Gladion should step into the ring right before the commercial break and the whole 2nd half would be dedicated to the battle, if not more.

patrickab7

I truly wish I could shake the feeling that Ash is jobbing harder than Barry Horowitz on a late-'80s episode of WWF Wrestling Challenge.

If they truly are retiring the character, then I'd like to see him go out with a win. Even if he does lose to Masked Royal afterwards.

Heck, if he does win, the next series COULD be about him revisiting old regions and winning championships there. </pipedream>

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I mean, there’s no reason for Gary to be that strong, either. He just is. The same can be said about Gladion and a lot of other rivals in the show, really. The show almost always has Ash be inferior to his rivals when realistically he should be much stronger, but there always needs to be a challenge for him to overcome. Otherwise, where’s the fun if his rivals are busy being punching bags?
Gary also LOST before Ash in their first League. Also, none of his rivals travel with companions, so they can actually devote their entire journey to training, whereas Ash will help both his companions and the CotD at the drop of a hat.
I really think that Ash is going to win the league this time. Between Ash having an established rivalry with Masked Royal and the upcoming Gen 8 anime saga being a reboot, there's no way he can lose this time.

This is a rumor, not a fact.

Master Pikachu 11

Losing one battle makes it a jobber?

Silvuddy is a synthetically created Ultra Beast-killing machine with access to all types and Gladio’s personal long-time Frankenstein monstrosity. There’s nothing shameful about losing to this Pokemon.
When said Frankenstein monstrosity is also a legendary Pokémon unlike any of Torterra’s opponents that it lost too. At least Meltan defeated Hypno which means it has done more then Noivern did in the Kalos league.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
How's what Gladion did with his drives any different from other trainers using their own items mid battle like Z- crystals and Mega stones during the league?

I'd say there is a huge difference, Z-move and Mega Evolution are things trainers and pokemon go into battle pre-equipped with, and if Silvally entered the battle pre-equipped with a drive I wouldn't see it as cheating, but to me equipping Silvally in the middle of a fight right when an attack is coming in like with what happened against Turtonator, imo is blatant cheating regardless if it is the pokemon's "gimmick" because it could've very well fallen to that attack, but was saved by something I guarantee Gladion would not get away with outside of alola.

As long as Zoroark goes down I don't care how the rest of the fight goes, I do not want this fight's outcome decided by external factors.

Mr-Nightmare_420

Just a dude who enjoys pokemon
Honestly Melmetal losing isn't as shocking as Silvally being the first of Gladion's Pokemon to go down.
It's pretty funny tbh. Many fanfics involving a big Ash vs Gladion fight always revolves around Gladion being the big trump card that always goes in the end. I was honestly hoping that the same would happen for this fight, since Silvally has had some of the biggest portrayal in this Gen. But a dog fight sounds pretty badass as well!

Rohanator

Looking at the episodes Rena Yamazaki's been an animation director in (eps 69, 75, 86, 96, 108 and 118) and the few cuts I could find that they're presumed to have done for other material https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=rena_yamazaki this episode should be good animation wise, it's also been 20 eps since their last one so they've had plenty of time to put into this one.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So, between Fujisaku being assigned here, and Tomioka being assigned to the nameless episode 141 and 142 whose title strongly implies that it will be the exhibition match...

I mean I don't want to get my hopes up that Satoshi wins here and that the true climax of the League will be the battle with Royal Mask... But I now expect that Satoshi wins here and that the true climax of the League will be the battle with Royal Mask.
And, just a reminder: Whoever wins the tournament is crowned Champion of Alola. There is no higher stage for them to progress to in this region. This is it. Whether he wins or loses against Royal Mask, if he beats Gladio he is the Champion.

Revolver Furious Dragon

So, between Fujisaku being assigned here, and Tomioka being assigned to the nameless episode 141 and 142 whose title strongly implies that it will be the exhibition match...

I mean I don't want to get my hopes up that Satoshi wins here and that the true climax of the League will be the battle with Royal Mask... But I now expect that Satoshi wins here and that the true climax of the League will be the battle with Royal Mask.
And, just a reminder: Whoever wins the tournament is crowned Champion of Alola. There is no higher stage for them to progress to in this region. This is it. Whether he wins or loses against Royal Mask, if he beats Gladio he is the Champion.

The question is whether he keeps the title or not

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
The question is whether he keeps the title or not
Assuming Title Defense is in, Ash just needs to leave Alola/shelter himself in his room at Pallet Town forever!

Can't lose your title if you never are challenged *taps forehead*

Revolver Furious Dragon

Assuming Title Defense is in, Ash just needs to leave Alola/shelter himself in his room at Pallet Town forever!

Can't lose your title if you never are challenged *taps forehead*

That would work. Except for kukui. We know he has to battle the masked royal

Status
Not open for further replies.