• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 15th: SM139 - He's Born! The Alolan League Winner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Even though I’m mostly disappointed with this League, I’m still shocked at this even if it was revealed in such an underwhelming way. Not the ideal way for him to win but we got something ig. It’s really lacking that sense of triumph for me

It doesn't feel as triumphant because it's painfully clear that Ash isn't the strongest trainer in Alola. He was definitely weaker than Guzma, and is probably weaker than Kukui. He may have been worse than Ilima. I said as much in SM137.

The title has always been a little hollow, especially in Champion League formats, and that is a main reason I was never too torn up about Ash losing to Tobias. Ash lost to Palmer, and Flint/Bertha destroyed him; realistically, the only way to improve on his Battle Frontier team is to swap out Torkoal for Infernape. That still isn't enough to beat Flint. Sceptile, Infernape, and Pikachu might have been barely able to beat the Regi Trio Brandon used against Paul. That was Ash's upper limit in Sinnoh.

People had deluded themselves in Kalos. There's still people who think Noivern defeated Zapdos. If Alain could pull five Pokemon out of his arse to make a full team and do that much damage to Ash, Ash's Kalos team outside of Pikachu and Greninja was nothing special.

Alola was grounded from the very start. It never let the hype spiral out of control like in Kalos, where Ash's fanclub rivaled Gary's Kanto one. We had legends, Megas and Z-Moves, but they never felt like a clash of titans. That's Alola in a nutshell: it's not a lame, cowardly country like France, it's Hawaii. Laid-back, fun-loving, and down to earth.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
It doesn't feel as triumphant because it's painfully clear that Ash isn't the strongest trainer in Alola. He was definitely weaker than Guzma, and is probably weaker than Kukui. He may have been worse than Ilima. I said as much in SM137.

The title has always been a little hollow, especially in Champion League formats, and that is a main reason I was never too torn up about Ash losing to Tobias. Ash lost to Palmer, and Flint/Bertha destroyed him; realistically, the only way to improve on his Battle Frontier team is to swap out Torkoal for Infernape. That still isn't enough to beat Flint. Sceptile, Infernape, and Pikachu might have been barely able to beat the Regi Trio Brandon used against Paul. That was Ash's upper limit in Sinnoh.

People had deluded themselves in Kalos. There's still people who think Noivern defeated Zapdos. If Alain could pull five Pokemon out of his arse to make a full team and do that much damage to Ash, Ash's Kalos team outside of Pikachu and Greninja was nothing special.

Alola was grounded from the very start. It never let the hype spiral out of control like in Kalos, where Ash's fanclub rivaled Gary's Kanto one. We had legends, Megas and Z-Moves, but they never felt like a clash of titans. That's Alola in a nutshell: it's not a lame, cowardly country like France, it's Hawaii. Laid-back, fun-loving, and down to earth.

Even if Ash somehow gets cocky because of the win here Galar will put him down to Earth as soon as possible. It will be another Battle Frontier to Trip fight level at least.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I don't know how to feel toward a cocky Ash moment. On the one hand, he's earned it more than anyone. But it would also be a disservice to all his years of toil to ignore that he wasn't the best trainer in this tournament, let alone Alola.

Acknowledging the latter would really piss off the haters, who are too blind to see past the "losing is hateful" mentality that still stings from Kalos.

But it would be the seminal moment of reflection, one that shows awareness of the themes in Alola and the entire series. We had a moment like that at the end of Indigo, and it was very memorable (and disgraced by Unova). I hope there's such a moment here.

Xuxuba

I'm just gonna suppose that the people surprised by this didn't actually bother to watch SM125, because otherwise this outcome would have been pretty obvious to them, just like Ash losing to Kukui aswell.

But i guess some people are just surprised that they are spoiling their own show like that lmao

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
There is actually nothing in the narrative that suggests Ash will lose to Kukui.

We don't have enough information, just an inclination that a milestone win should be balanced against a sobering loss so Ash will remain motivated. Kukui could use a meme team while Ash calls in his reserves. All bets are off with an exhibition match.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
The only underwhelming members of ash's kalos team were noivern and goodra (who still got to star in one gym) rest were all fine, greninja, talonflame and hawlucha were definitely strong pokemon with lots of wins, i put them much higher than alolan trio of lycannroc, torracat and melmetal. As for ash in alola league he was stronger definitley stronger than guzma, ash's alola team is just too wek to fight guzma, his hoenn, sinnoh or kalos team will destroy guzma in a proper match. How can someone even make such a delusional comment just like saying infernape is stronger than charizard.

Xuxuba

There is actually nothing in the narrative that suggests Ash will lose to Kukui.

We don't have enough information, just an inclination that a milestone win should be balanced against a sobering loss so Ash will remain motivated. Kukui could use a meme team while Ash calls in his reserves. All bets are off with an exhibition match.
Literally the only reason why SM125 exists is to hint at Ash having a final battle against Kukui and losing this time around. Kukui even says himself that one day he is gonna beat Ash...

It really couldn't be more obvious even to the most dense people in the world.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I'd like to see Torracat start the evolution process, but halt it.

He hates Incineroar, so it would be a little odd for him to become that which he hates. And unlike Bulbasaur or Piplup, there's no marketing pressure to keep Torracat unevolved. It's possibly the least popular stage of any Alola starter.

xinfernapex

Sinnoh Champion
In the trailer that aired today, I didn’t see it at first because the first one I watched was cut, but the full video it shows what looks more like BB then Quick Attack

Pikachu hits Zoroark just as the hands from NEN are about to hit it, so either Pikachu will hit Zoroark with its own Z-Move as well as BB or a draw is likely.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Literally the only reason why SM125 exists is to hint at Ash having a final battle against Kukui and losing this time around. Kukui even says himself that one day he is gonna beat Ash...

I mean, when you think about it, he already fulfilled his promised to beat Ash the next time they battled.

Twice. In the same episode, no less.

I'm glad it's all but confirmed 2nd best version of Ash is winning a League, yay!

Never thought I'd go back to rooting for him after all these years, more so right after the saga I explicitly wanted Ash to get his butt kicked by someone, but it paid off so well.

Now please reboot the whole thing and give me the canon where Ash wins Indigo League at the first try, defeating Gary in the finals, and doesn't go to other regions to chalange the gyms there. Too much to ask for? I guess so

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I really didn’t like how it was confirmed but I’m super happy that it was confirmed that he wins. I mean unless Ash is holding that trophy for Gladion.:p

For some reason i still have my doubts, what if he really is holding that trophy just to give it to gladion, that would be one of the most troll moment in the anime.

Xuxuba

I mean, when you think about it, he already fulfilled his promised to beat Ash the next time they battled.

Twice. In the same episode, no less.
Ash was the one who said next time they battle and, from his point of view, these battles happened in the past.

Not to mention the entire dialogue was pointing towards Ash's future, like when Kukui asked what happens when you win the Pokémon League and Ash says he doesn't really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.