• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 1st: SM137 - Guzma the Undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ooh people are setting themselves up for disappointment againg. This is going to explode like it did three years ago.
Nah, this hype isn't nearly as bad as the Kalos League hype. That was ridiculous and I wasn't even there when it happened. Setting themselves up for disappointment, yes. But not nearly as much as they did for Kalos.

Master Pikachu 11

So: -
Torracat damages Golisopod
Golisopod activates "Emergency Exit"
Scizor comes in
Torracat beats Scizor
Golisopod beats Torracat with Razor Shell or something
Lycanroc beats Golispod with Accelrock or Rock Throw

Anybody else thinks this how Ash's Semi-Final plays out?
Pikachu will be in this match one way or another, just like when he used Pikachu against Hapu, after Hapu beat it. Since Pikachu was getting dominated against Guzma, I expect Pikachu to be in this match.

TheWanderingMist

Ash is an anime version of Clayton Kershaw/The LA Dodgers, So I wouldn't expect anything less when he loses

I really think people should go into leagues expecting a loss so that they won't end up getting disappointed by the results
Plus, they'll be elated if he actually does win when they're expecting a loss.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
Nah, this hype isn't nearly as bad as the Kalos League hype. That was ridiculous and I wasn't even there when it happened. Setting themselves up for disappointment, yes. But not nearly as much as they did for Kalos.

I was inactive with Pokemon at the time and jumped on that train. The major problem was people were misrepresenting facts, exaggerating, or outright lying to delude themselves into thinking Ash would win.

For someone who jumps in at the Pokemon League and has no idea what is going on, it was easy to get swayed by bullet point summaries like,

-fully evolved team
-reached the finals for the first time ever
-unique Mega Greninja
-turned into Red from the games
-has a celebrity girlfriend and an in-universe fanbase

I don't see any of that with Alola, for one reason or another.

"Cautious optimism" is always the best approach, but there's more reason to believe here than in Kalos. Having mostly caught up, the signposting is clearly here. If only the writers will follow through with that posted payoff.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Scizor comes in
Torracat beats Scizor

Switch Lycan with Pikachu. Lycan will battle Gladion.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Wow, this sounds intense. It’s almost poetic seeing Guzma unable to defeat his rival... and his son (if it happens.)

I’m really hyped for this showdown! It sounds like Guzma is going to get really frustrated and display his anger into the battlefield. I have a feeling we’ll get flashbacks from the past.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'd say it's 2v2 until we have evidence saying otherwise, no point getting disappointed when we don't get 3v3

Scizor comes in
Torracat beats Scizor

It's definitely Pikachu fighting if anyone. Both Pikachu and Lycanroc are obviously going to fight the next round; Pikachu because would they honestly let Ash win the finals without him? And Lycanroc for the Lycanroc/Silvally rivalries. Lycanroc will have his time to shine next, but the final part is obviously going to end with everyone's favorite rat!

I'd love it if they let Torracat finally get a chance to truly shine, taking out Scizor AND Golisopod all by himself.... but I doubt it. It'd certainly make up for him not having a Grand Trial

andrewscott48209

As much as I would love to see Ash use the Pikashunium Z Crystal on Guzma, I can see a narrative reason for him to use the Firium Z Crystal on him. If Guzma sees Kukui in Ash, then it would make more sense if he uses the Firium Z Crystal than if he used the Pikashunium Z Crystal on him

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Wonder what Guzma will be like when he loses his cool. They already mimicked his line from when you beat him in the games and it was... fairly subdued (though I think that was the point). Still, his little tantrums in the game weren't anything impressive (janky animations and all that jazz), so I'll be interested in how this plays out.

Zariful

I'd say it's 2v2 until we have evidence saying otherwise, no point getting disappointed when we don't get 3v3

It's definitely Pikachu fighting if anyone. Both Pikachu and Lycanroc are obviously going to fight the next round; Pikachu because would they honestly let Ash win the finals without him? And Lycanroc for the Lycanroc/Silvally rivalries. Lycanroc will have his time to shine next, but the final part is obviously going to end with everyone's favorite rat!

I'd love it if they let Torracat finally get a chance to truly shine, taking out Scizor AND Golisopod all by himself.... but I doubt it. It'd certainly make up for him not having a Grand Trial
Well the post says Guzma remains in the lead for the battle even after Torracat takes out Scizor. And if Golisopod has activated emergency exit, it's pretty weakened. How do you propose Guzma remaining in the lead if Scizor is defeated and Golisopod is weakened. We could say Ash's other pokemon has been defeated. But then logically it would seem more evenly matched rather than Guzma being the lead?

Well the post says Guzma remains in the lead for the battle even after Torracat takes out Scizor. And if Golisopod has activated emergency exit, it's pretty weakened. How do you propose Guzma remaining in the lead if Scizor is defeated and Golisopod is weakened. We could say Ash's other pokemon has been defeated. But then logically it would seem more evenly matched rather than Guzma being the lead?
The summary says that Guzma has been in the lead. So it could mean that this is the turning point.

Master Pikachu 11

Ash is an anime version of Clayton Kershaw/The LA Dodgers, So I wouldn't expect anything less when he loses

I really think people should go into leagues expecting a loss so that they won't end up getting disappointed by the results
Oh I am expecting a lost, I will not let myself be as disappointed as I was with the Kalos league. However, if he does lose then he should not be able to have another rematch with Royal Mask because he would not have earned the right to battle him by not winning the league.

TheWanderingMist

Being in the lead could mean anything... what if Ash decided to start off with Torrecat vs Golisopod for some reason? Golisopod probably puts up strong damage and just like with Pikachu last time, Torrecat manages a decent hit forcing Emergency Exit to activate and thus giving Torrecat the major advantage to take out Scizor?
Perhaps even using the Firium-Z up early in the match?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The summary says that Guzma has been in the lead. So it could mean that this is the turning point.

That's how I read it, the league in general. There isn't any other Pokemon mentioned, if there was then they'd have fallen to Golisopod and it's all down to Torracat(Assuming it's 2v2 of course)
I'd honestly love it if that was the case though, Ash sent out Pikachu and Guzma just beat Pikachu up causing Ash to resort to Torracat. Cause let's be honest, Pikachu's going to close out the next battle if Ash wins. There's no doubt about it, we don't need that twice. And Torracat really deserves some good wins and a big battle of his own!

Torracat's definitely proving himself here though if he's managed to remove the majority of Golisopod's health AND beat a Pokemon who was capable of beating a Mega(An impressive feat) all by itself. If he beats Incineroar too, then he's definitely dethroned Lycanroc as the ace(Unless Lycanroc beats Silvally)

Bladewinger

I could imagine the climax of the battle playing out as Kukui's face being overlayed over Ash's, like how Ash's face was overlayed over Flint's in the DP series.

Status
Not open for further replies.