• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 1st: SM137 - Guzma the Undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkeBayern

Torracat will not be sweeping against Guzma, the writers are going to have Ash send out his second Pokémon to make the battle more interesting and Pikachu will be the one that he uses. If you learned nothing from the battle against Hapu, Ash will always send out the same Pokémon that pretty much got beat or close to being beat against an opponent that he has faced before. This battle against Guzma will set up Pikachu coming in and getting redemption against an opponent that poisoned and almost knocked him out. If it was a one v one then Pikachu would have been used over Torracat just for the same reason, but because the summary for this episode teased at Torracat being used that is how I knew it was going to be a 2 v 2 because it’s all about paying attention to not only the entire series, but paying attention to Ash’s character and what he will do in battles.

I also have a doubt that ash would sweep Guzma, a sweep that this stage would be to anti-climatic and very disappointing imo, what’s the point of it?

I say that Torracat gives Golisopod a rough time and it decides to get lazy and return to its ball before some real damage happens being indifferent to the battle that’s taking place..

Guzma goes mental and loses his cool and Scizor gets beaten badly because of the massive type disadvantage and the fact that he wasn’t ready or expecting to use it, as he thinks that he can use 1 Pokémon to win the battle..

The fact that he can’t run away like he did from the Kahunas, actually having to figure out how he’s gonna beat Ash who has been causing him problems as his battling style doesn’t work like it did against Lana..

Torracat loses to Golisopod and Pikachu finishes the job and gets its revenge for what happened to it at the Pokémon school and Ash advances to the finals as expected, this battle finally exposes Guzma as a fraud who picks on weak trainers!

I mean come on, you weren’t expecting that the writers were gonna forget that the yellow rodent only has only been used in the Battle Royale stage of this whole league and they weren’t gonna let it not shine in such an important match, you know considering the fact that it is the series mascot..

Last edited:

Revolver Furious Dragon

And you can guarantee that no matter who wins this league, Torracat will get its rematch with Incineroar.

And that makes me sad :( I really hate matches like that. There always boring in my eyes

andrewscott48209

I also have a doubt that ash would sweep Guzma, a sweep that this stage would be to anti-climatic and very disappointing imo, what’s the point of it?
Simple, it will shatter his ego. He thinks that the Alola league is child's play. And Plumeria had warned Guzma that he shouldn't underestimate Ash, and Guzma's response was that he is undefeated, and Plumeria thought to herself that she knows why Guzma is undefeated. It is because he is able to make excuses for why Golisipod activates emergency exit, however this league removes that excuse especially now that the battles are 2v2. So once emergency exit activates, he would have to continue the battle, and he will have no excuses to leave the battle. And in the preview for episode 136 Torrecat gets a good gut shot or two against Golisipod, before Golisipod activates, and Scisor gets sent out, and the summary for episode 137 says that Torrecat knocks Scisor out, leaving Ash at a 2-1 advantage. Now, it is entirely possible that Golisipod knocks Torrecat out afterwards, but I'm not too sure that it would come down to Ash's second pokemon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi possibly sweeping Guzma would be a terrific turn of events from my perspective since he hasn't swept a major character in an important battle in a very long time. I personally doubt that it'll happen here, but if it does I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
emergency exit can only be triggered one time, after the first time Guzma won't have to worry about it "retreating"

however let's think about this, if Torracat was able to trigger it, and knocks scizor out, and If it continues to break down Golisipod it might as well go ahead and take it out as well.

Cause seeing Pikachu come in when Golisipod is weakened and just blast it with a z-move wouldn't be impressive redemption.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well indeed he could just call GPICSS(Greninja, Pikachu, Infernape, Charizard, Sceptile and Snorlax) and wipe out everyone

Ash: Ok, everyone, I'm sick of losing. Let's go wild this time!
*GPICSS manages to sweep the entire league with a flawless victory*

emergency exit can only be triggered one time, after the first time Guzma won't have to worry about it "retreating"

however let's think about this, if Torracat was able to trigger it, and knocks scizor out, and If it continues to break down Golisipod it might as well go ahead and take it out as well.

Cause seeing Pikachu come in when Golisipod is weakened and just blast it with a z-move wouldn't be impressive redemption.

I can see Ash debutting his Firium Z during the finishing move.

Animac

So, let's say torracat sweeps Guzma. Then ash would be facing the Alolan league's final without having any of his pokemon being koed by an opponent in any official match*. Rowlet fell asleep against Hala, he was team-killed against Olivia, lycanrock first battle against Nanu was not oficial, neither was the one pikachu loss against Hapu. So, Ash would be reaching the finals technically undefeated...?

*As far as I know there are no such thing like official or unofficial matches, but where i come from(latin american fandom) we kinda make a difference between battles for fun and battles for medals/league. I don't know how you guys see these things.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
So, let's say torracat sweeps Guzma. Then ash would be facing the Alolan league's final without having any of his pokemon being koed by an opponent in any official match*. Rowlet fell asleep against Hala, he was team-killed against Olivia, lycanrock first battle against Nanu was not oficial, neither was the one pikachu loss against Hapu. So, Ash would be reaching the finals technically undefeated...?

*As far as I know there are no such thing like official or unofficial matches, but where i come from(latin american fandom) we kinda make a difference between battles for fun and battles for medals/league. I don't know how you guys see these things.
If you’re counting only Trial battles, then, yes, Ash hasn’t had any losses.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

Rowlet lost to Totem Gumshoos

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member

A sweep is the opposite of anti-climactic. And the point is that Guzma only has an undefeated record because he retreats from battles where he's pressured, very much like his Golisopod.

A Pokemon that refuses to run or give up, like Torracat, versus a trainer who gives up at the first sign of trouble. Since Guzma can't retreat from a league battle without taking a loss, he has no escape route except to face his fears.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
TL;DR: Ash is very much capable of sweeping trainers much stronger than Guzma, and doesn't sweep often because he choses to use weaker Pokemon. Nando is actually a better trainer than Guzma overall, and all three of the Pokemon Ash used against Nando were stronger than Torracat.

Ofcourse he can sweep and i would like to see sh getting a sweep but its more like i dont have faith in writers, they like to make ah's battle more closer than a sweep.

Master Pikachu 11

Simple, it will shatter his ego. He thinks that the Alola league is child's play. And Plumeria had warned Guzma that he shouldn't underestimate Ash, and Guzma's response was that he is undefeated, and Plumeria thought to herself that she knows why Guzma is undefeated. It is because he is able to make excuses for why Golisipod activates emergency exit, however this league removes that excuse especially now that the battles are 2v2. So once emergency exit activates, he would have to continue the battle, and he will have no excuses to leave the battle. And in the preview for episode 136 Torrecat gets a good gut shot or two against Golisipod, before Golisipod activates, and Scisor gets sent out, and the summary for episode 137 says that Torrecat knocks Scisor out, leaving Ash at a 2-1 advantage. Now, it is entirely possible that Golisipod knocks Torrecat out afterwards, but I'm not too sure that it would come down to Ash's second pokemon.
It doesn’t make the battle interesting if Torracat sweeps from the writers perspective, they want Ash to have to fight tooth and nail to get to the finals again. Torracat is going take some damage against Scizor as we see in the preview. Goliospod’s ability could actually help it get a breather. So I think that the writers won’t let Ash sweep because they will want both of his Pokémon to be showcased.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
It doesn’t make the battle interesting if Torracat sweeps from the writers perspective, they want Ash to have to fight tooth and nail to get to the finals again. Torracat is going take some damage against Scizor as we see in the preview. Goliospod’s ability could actually help it get a breather. So I think that the writers won’t let Ash sweep because they will want both of his Pokémon to be showcased.

But all his Pokemon will be showcased?
His next opponent is Gladion, meaning Lycanroc is obviously going to be involved. And it's also the finals so Pikachu will be there too. Rowlet had his shot(And basically lost all credibility lol, I wouldn't be surprised if he's the jobber in Gladion's battle >.>) and Meltan had a moment against Faba

Poipole's not with Ash so all of his Pokemon will get showcased. Besides, Torracat weakening Golisopod just for Pikachu to pop out and finish it off with one move..... that would be underwhelming. Pikachu and Lycanroc had proven their worth already this series, it is Torracat's turn

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
It doesn’t make the battle interesting if Torracat sweeps from the writers perspective, they want Ash to have to fight tooth and nail to get to the finals again.

Ash is one of, if not the strongest participant(s) in this league. It's useless to try and disguise that. Ash has been shown to be better at battling than the others the whole series. The format of the league is something of a handicap, but that's about as much as could organically be done.

The writer's goal is to create excitement, and the best way to do that is tension. Ash as an underdog is the simplest way to create tension. They need a new source when he's obviously better than the competition.

But look at it another way, as during the Mandi battle in Kanto. Once Kingler took out Seadra, viewers were no longer thinking about whether Ash could win; that seemed inevitable. The source of excitement shifted to if Kingler could sweep 3 Pokemon.
Or the battle against Tobias. With Ash down 1-5, the audience perspective shifted to "How far can Pikachu go?"

If Torracat kills Scizor and takes Golisopod below 50%, Ash has basically won. So like against Mandi, I think people will be more interested in whether or not Torracat can finish the job.

Revolver Furious Dragon

You know what would be interesting? Torracat being somehow badly wounded and ending up with a scar
Then if he evolves vs or before Masked Royal there will be a way to diferentiate him from MR's Incineroar

That would be cool. Although personally I don't think torracat will evolve so there's no need

NitroLightningFlash

You know what would be interesting? Torracat being somehow badly wounded and ending up with a scar
Then if he evolves vs or before Masked Royal there will be a way to diferentiate him from MR's Incineroar

You know....with how savage Guzma can be (as shown earlier with Pikachu and Primarina), i wouldn't put it past him to do something like that to be honest ^^;

I'm glad Ash destroys Guzma here either way. When he loses though (if he still doesn't see the error of some of his ways), i have a feeling he may try to do something either to disrupt the League, or after to try and prove he is right. I just don't see this being all that Guzma does in this series after this match >.>;

I'd like both Pikachu and Torracat to win a battle here, but I hope Pikachu gets the big win against Golisopod, that way if the whole 'each of Ash's Pokemon gets big wins in the league against rivals', are true then Torracat can hopefully get his big win against Incineroar later.

(Pikachu hopefully will defeat Golisopod, under the assumption that he is indeed the second Pokemon in this battle, and I fully expect Dusk Lycanroc to finally defeat Gladion's Midnight form Lycanroc in the incoming battle after this, so it'll only be fair Torracat wins against his rival-Incineroar too).

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
You know....with how savage Guzma can be (as shown earlier with Pikachu and Primarina), i wouldn't put it past him to do something like that to be honest ^^;

I'm glad Ash destroys Guzma here either way. When he loses though (if he still doesn't see the error of some of his ways), i have a feeling he may try to do something either to disrupt the League, or after to try and prove he is right. I just don't see this being all that Guzma does in this series after this match >.>;

I'd like both Pikachu and Torracat to win a battle here, but I hope Pikachu gets the big win against Golisopod, that way if the whole 'each of Ash's Pokemon gets big wins in the league against rivals', are true then Torracat can hopefully get his big win against Incineroar later.

(Pikachu hopefully will defeat Golisopod, under the assumption that he is indeed the second Pokemon in this battle, and I fully expect Dusk Lycanroc to finally defeat Gladion's Midnight form Lycanroc in the incoming battle after this, so it'll only be fair Torracat wins against his rival-Incineroar too).

Torracat's already done most the work though, it wouldn't exactly be a big win for Pikachu.
I'd say Pikachu will get his moment against Silvally

NitroLightningFlash

Torracat's already done most the work though, it wouldn't exactly be a big win for Pikachu.
I'd say Pikachu will get his moment against Silvally

Yeah i'm sorry, i retract my earlier statement ^^; I just reread the summary again and Torracat does do most of the work here (before Golisopod switches out with Emergency Exit, beating Scizor in the process due to it), so it makes sense it wouldn't be a big win for Pikachu as Torracat will have beaten Scizor and damaged Golisopod enough to switch it out.

I just hope this doesn't mean he'll lose against Incineroar, Torracat deserves better than that...seriously everybody else will have beaten their rivals (Dusk Lycanroc has a chance to defeat Midnight form Lycanroc and if you count Silvally as Pikachu's rival per se, and if Pikachu is indeed used against Silvally in the final).

Meltan wasn't really around long enough to get a rival, though i still hope it gets another chance in battle against Gladion if it's a 3 v3. I mean the 'battle' against Faba was funny when Meltan ate Hypno's pendulum, but would like to see Meltan properly battle xD

By the way the part which says

'And even though Guzma has been in the lead so far, he gradually loses his pace as he sees his old rival Kukui in Satoshi's forthright eyes'.

Is interesting i guess that means he sees Kukui in Ash? Wonder how that'll turn out, can't wait for this episode! ^^

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
After the scene in 135, I now kinda expect Guzma to have a breakdown after the fight but then have Plumeria calm him down

Status
Not open for further replies.