• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 1st: SM137 - Guzma the Undefeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Bortgreen said:
You know what would be interesting? Torracat being somehow badly wounded and ending up with a scar
Then if he evolves vs or before Masked Royal there will be a way to diferentiate him from MR's Incineroar

Nyaheat seemed to be holding his own in the preview for the first part of the battle, so I'd be surprised if things go bad for him here. Either way, I don't think that the writers have the gall to give Satoshi's Pokemon a permanent injury.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
You know what would be interesting? Torracat being somehow badly wounded and ending up with a scar
Then if he evolves vs or before Masked Royal there will be a way to diferentiate him from MR's Incineroar
I don't think the anime is going to go that far. Sure, they'll kill things offscreen, but a permanent onscreen injury that we see happen is unlikely .

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yeah, probably not
There was that Weavile episode in Battle Frontier though, even though it was kind of a filler
And also Tyson's metagross getting a dent from fighting swellow

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
lol at the writer's barely giving us more than a 1vs1 and even then having a (possible) single Pokemon sweep.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I don't see why a 'difference' is even required, seeing how they'd literally only be together for that one scene and never again.
It's been that way since forever... Winona's Swellow was shiny, other Pikachu have something going on with their fur/hair when facing Ash's, the Mewtwo movie had the starters have zebra stripes for the important focused on battles

Master Pikachu 11

Ash is one of, if not the strongest participant(s) in this league. It's useless to try and disguise that. Ash has been shown to be better at battling than the others the whole series. The format of the league is something of a handicap, but that's about as much as could organically be done.

The writer's goal is to create excitement, and the best way to do that is tension. Ash as an underdog is the simplest way to create tension. They need a new source when he's obviously better than the competition.

But look at it another way, as during the Mandi battle in Kanto. Once Kingler took out Seadra, viewers were no longer thinking about whether Ash could win; that seemed inevitable. The source of excitement shifted to if Kingler could sweep 3 Pokemon.
Or the battle against Tobias. With Ash down 1-5, the audience perspective shifted to "How far can Pikachu go?"

If Torracat kills Scizor and takes Golisopod below 50%, Ash has basically won. So like against Mandi, I think people will be more interested in whether or not Torracat can finish the job.
I understand what you are saying, however, I still see writers somehow some way including Pikachu in this battle and getting its revenge against Golisipod because let’s face it, if it was another one v one battle, then I think Pikachu would have been Ash’s choice to go with because of what happened the last time that they battled.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I understand what you are saying, however, I still see writers somehow some way including Pikachu in this battle and getting its revenge against Golisipod because let’s face it, if it was another one v one battle, then I think Pikachu would have been Ash’s choice to go with because of what happened the last time that they battled.

Pikachu doesn't need to settle grudge matches. The fact that Golisipod went Emergency Exit on Pikachu tells us that had the battle continued, Pikachu would have won.

The only Pokémon that needs to defeat Golisipod is the one who was denied victory thanks to Emergency Exit within the League itself. After all, what happens when Golisipod can't Emergency Exit?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zoruagible said:
I don't see why a 'difference' is even required, seeing how they'd literally only be together for that one scene and never again.

There's that too. I'd find it unnecessary for Satoshi's Nyaheat to get a scar here just to make the supposed Gaogaen versus Gaogaen battle later less confusing for the audience. It would feel like too much just for the sake of one battle, plus it would make Guzma look even worse than he already does if he badly injures one of Satoshi's Pokemon.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
^ Nothing Guzma has done has made him look bad. He is literally the hero that Alola needs, but doesn't deserve

Way too graphic for Pokémon (and this coming in a league where Plumeria breaks Ilima's Eevee's leg, no less), not to mention a wound that causes scarring would knock Torracat out for weeks, so it wouldn't be able to have its match

I really hope Torracat doesn't evolve, because it magically learning how to use its bipedal body after being quadruped for so long would be as DEM as they come

ShadowForce720

^ Nothing Guzma has done has made him look bad. He is literally the hero that Alola needs, but doesn't deserve

Way too graphic for Pokémon (and this coming in a league where Plumeria breaks Ilima's Eevee's leg, no less), not to mention a wound that causes scarring would knock Torracat out for weeks, so it wouldn't be able to have its match

I really hope Torracat doesn't evolve, because it magically learning how to use its bipedal body after being quadruped for so long would be as DEM as they come

Not really considering that it's not that unusual in the anime for a quadraped pokemon to become bipedal and yet have no problem getting around, heck although it's slightly different we literally had the case of Goodra in X&Y where it didn't have any legs when it was a Goomy and a Sliggoo and then gained legs as a Goodra and yet that didn't stop it from being able to get around fine as a Goodra. So honestly Torracat evolving into Incineroar and being able to get around fine is not DEM, you may not like it which is fine but it's not DEM.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Not really considering that it's not that unusual in the anime for a quadraped pokemon to become bipedal and yet have no problem getting around, heck although it's slightly different we literally had the case of Goodra in X&Y where it didn't have any legs when it was a Goomy and a Sliggoo and then gained legs as a Goodra and yet that didn't stop it from being able to get around fine as a Goodra. So honestly Torracat evolving into Incineroar and being able to get around fine is not DEM, you may not like it which is fine but it's not DEM.
Ah, no, you've confused DEM for "deus ex machina", whereas on here, it means "didn't enjoy much".

Leonhart

Imagineer
Twilight-Kun said:

I'm pretty sure that we've seen a few Pokemon that walk on all fours instinctively get used to the process of being bipedal when they evolve, however. I can't imagine why Nyaheat evolving and learning to do that would be an issue. If I have any reservations about Nyaheat possibly evolving against Guzma, it's that it would feel really late in the saga.

A couple of people have responded to you now but you still haven't replied. Why would this be DEM?

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
A couple of people have responded to you now but you still haven't replied. Why would this be DEM?
”Creator’s Pet,” “DEM,” “Mary Sue,” “Plot Armour,” “Asspull,” I don’t think these words mean what people around here think they mean.

Pokemon evolves from quadruped to biped and functions normally in its body is totally Deus Ex Machina despite it never coming up as an issue in the shows history ever. Sometimes I just can’t tell if these post are meant to be taken seriously or not.

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Because center of gravity changed, perspective changed, it has hands now, and a different method of attacking

It's weird that there wouldn't be at least some discombobulation, but it's an aspect that's glossed over time and time again, which drags down an otherwise impressive accomplishment
”Creator’s Pet,” “DEM,” “Mary Sue,” “Plot Armour,” “Asspull,” I don’t think these words mean what people around here think they mean.
Yeah, that's rather perturbing and nobody ever bothers to correct them, leading to more and more people thinking that the incorrect definition is the correct one

It's quite unfortunate, but hey, if it lets people enjoy the series, more power to 'em, eh?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Torracat having issues upon evolving should really be tied to Incineroar as a species more than anything, but it's way too late to have something like that now.
I'd prefer the other characters having issues with their Pokemon anyways, opens up room for more focus episodes with that Pokemon. Which is good considering companion Pokemon usually(Poipole got it a lot worse than half the classmate Pokemon :p ) get shafted a lot worse than Ash's do. Case in point, Luxray and Pancham.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that Torracat may use Inferno Overdrive to deal the finishing blow to Golisopod.

Status
Not open for further replies.