• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 21st: SM43 - Gym Battle! Z-Move VS Mega Evolution!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

That is because pikachu at its peak like vs latios, regice, alain, frontier brains, 8th gym leader who all are much stronger than misty's gyarados is(even mega is) would destroy gyarados. Lets be honest misty is a 2nd gym leader of the kanto region, even with mega at best she could attain the level of 6-7th gym and will still be inferior to 8th gym. Pikachu is way past the stage where without getting a reset it would destroy the gym leaders pokemon (barring the 8th gym who is level above). Besides we dont know if there is one battle or two battles in this epsode.

Besides this is somewhat just the case with MCx vs MCY in kalos league where people started hyping it but it was finished with one flamethrower. Now I dont think pikachu will destroy MG in one sided battle. But theoretically speaking a legendary slaying peakachu at his best with z move and type advantage is leagues ahead MG of a 2nd gym leader of the region. Pikachu will be reseted for sure.

You don't seem to understand something here, Misty was not sitting around doing nothing while Ash was traveling through the different regions, so it's very likely that she is stronger then she was before so no just because her Mega Gyarados may put up a good fight against Pikachu doesn't mean Pikachu is resetted.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Pikachu can still defeat it though.

Steelix he has no bloody chance.

If Kiawe is there like the pic in the other thread might imply, he'd have a better shot at beating Mega Steelix.

Red and Blue

I hope no one calls the fight PIS if Lycanroc(or Litten/Rowlet) ends up beating Steelix

Champion Jared 14

Yeah, the order of battle has nothing to do with the strength of a gym leader. That has already been debunked by both the anime and the games. Koga was only the 5th or 6th gym leader in Kanto, and he became a member of the E4.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
You don't seem to understand something here, Misty was not sitting around doing nothing while Ash was traveling through the different regions, so it's very likely that she is stronger then she was before so no just because her Mega Gyarados may put up a good fight against Pikachu doesn't mean Pikachu is resetted.

You dont seem to get it that no matter how much misty trains she is still weaker than frontier brains or the 8th gym leader. Pikachu at its peak who has slain multiple legendaries and defeated more superior pokemon will destroy even MG. Pikachu will be needed to reset a little to make this battle intresting. If MG is giving a peakachu a tough fight then that means MG is in league of regice, latios, alains's tyranitor+ metagross, lucy's (FB)and juan's (hoenn's 8th gym leader) milotic which is pretty stupid. Well it could be the case if in this episode it is revealed that misty's MG hasn't lost the battle but until then pikachu will be reseted just for this battle.

Yeah, the order of battle has nothing to do with the strength of a gym leader. That has already been debunked by both the anime and the games. Koga was only the 5th or 6th gym leader in Kanto, and he became a member of the E4.

Koga never became a E4 member in the anime, so it doesn't mean anything and order generally is an indication of gym leader's strength. You cannot imagine ash challenging someone like volkner or valerie or brycen for his first gym battle because he would get totally annihialated.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Hopefully Ash loses to one of them.... and that should be Brock. Misty's beaten him before in the Whirl Cup but I can't remember Brock ever getting one over Ash. I don't want this to be straight up 'lul z-moves are better than Mega evolutions!'. I love Mega Evolution more than z-moves
I want to see Ash lose. Even if it's Litten against Steelix.
Besides the water lovers got enough love so far.... and Mega Gyarados got love before too, Steelix hasn't.

Champion Jared 14

Koga never became a E4 member in the anime, so it doesn't mean anything and order generally is an indication of gym leader's strength. You cannot imagine ash challenging someone like volkner or valerie or brycen for his first gym battle because he would get totally annihialated.

Apparently, even Norman was considered to be an E4 member, and he was only the 5th gym leader in his region. Now, if that was only a dubbed translation I'll submit that point but that's not my point.

The anime has repeatedly shown that it's not always the strongest pokemon/trainer or the one with the most experience, or the one with a type advantage that wins battles. Pikachu's feats are impressive but that doesn't mean he's invincible. There's a lot more that goes into it.

The fact that you keep mentioning him needing to be nerfed in order for them to stand a chance against him underlines my point.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Pretty sure in universe gym leaders use Pokemon suited toward the level of the trainer themselves, it'd be weird if someone was starting out at a city that housed the fourth gym leader of the region and essentially could never earn a badge because said leader is too strong. Plus we've seen trainers earn badges out of order plenty of times in the anime as well.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Apparently, even Norman was considered to be an E4 member, and he was only the 5th gym leader in his region. Now, if that was only a dubbed translation I'll submit that point but that's not my point.

The anime has repeatedly shown that it's not always the strongest pokemon/trainer or the one with the most experience, or the one with a type advantage that wins battles. Pikachu's feats are impressive but that doesn't mean he's invincible. There's a lot more that goes into it.

The fact that you keep mentioning him needing to be nerfed in order for them to stand a chance against him underlines my point.

Norman was never considered E4 member, it was only in max's fanboyism of his father who even claimed that norman is the strongest gym leader in the world and will become a part of E4.
Pikachu peak feats just proves that he is far far superior to even MG. And yeah good strategy can trouble great pokemon but misty isin't paul or even remotely near his strategic level as far as the anime has shown.

Pretty sure in universe gym leaders use Pokemon suited toward the level of the trainer themselves, it'd be weird if someone was starting out at a city that housed the fourth gym leader of the region and essentially could never earn a badge because said leader is too strong. Plus we've seen trainers earn badges out of order plenty of times in the anime as well.

I was talking only about ash in the anime. He didn't straight away went to candice in snowpoint city at the start of the sinnoh series. Because it was obvious he would get creamed. now if a said trainer is starting from sunnyshore city or opelucid city he wont be challenging the gym leaders of that town volkner and drayden because they are the strongest of there region.

Last edited:

Champion Jared 14

Norman was never considered E4 member, it was only in max's fanboyism of his father who even claimed that norman is the strongest gym leader in the world and will become a part of E4.
Pikachu peak feats just proves that he is far far superior to even MG. And yeah good strategy can trouble great pokemon but misty isin't paul or even remotely near his strategic level as far as the anime has shown.

Pikachu's feats are irrelevant. He's always been reset to some extent. OHKO a Regice at full health from Brandon? Tying with a Latios but couldn't defeat a new Snivy? And apparently the same one that took down a powerful metagross and tyrannitar.

It doesn't say much...And like I said, feats and experience isn't everything. Grace was a seasoned coordinator and due to that alone, I guess May should've lost her 2nd contest to her, right? When Misty and Ash's Staryu and Chikorita battled, Staryu should've won based on greater experience despite type disadvantage no? If I'm wrong, by all means clear it up as I'm just trying to take your rationale to its necessary conclusion.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Pikachu's feats are irrelevant. He's always been reset to some extent. OHKO a Regice at full health from Brandon? Tying with a Latios but couldn't defeat a new Snivy? And apparently the same one that took down a powerful metagross and tyrannitar.

It doesn't say much...And like I said, feats and experience isn't everything. Grace was a seasoned coordinator and due to that alone, I guess May should've lost her 2nd contest to her, right? When Misty and Ash's Staryu and Chikorita battled, Staryu should've won based on greater experience despite type disadvantage no? If I'm wrong, by all means clear it up as I'm just trying to take your rationale to its necessary conclusion.

That's what I have been trying to say that pikachu has always been reseted. He will be reseted in this battle, this pikachu is not the pikachu that beat regice, tied with latios, was able to take multiple hits from E4 flint's infernape or even the one that faced the tapu koko in 2nd battle but somewhat weaker version of it.

As for grace, the battle vs may is not the best example since may's win was mainly coz of PIS, the same medichamp destroyed drew's roselia in the semis which in turn totally destroyed may's beautifly in her 1st contest. Instead of using may vs grace, grace vs drew would be better example of consistent power levels where much experienced coordinator won. As for the staryu vs chikorita math it was still a close match at type advantage. Besides staryu wasn't that much stronger, also chikorita was pretty tough even before ash captured it, it injured both bulbasaur and charizard (both were superior to staryu). Also chikorita did have experience in gym battles with one victory against bugsy bug type at severe disadvantage. So the difference between staryu and chikorita wasn't that high compared to MG and peakachu.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The fact that the episode says "Gym battle" in the title ads more fuel to the theory that kukui makes the alola league inspired by this mini arc.
Anyways, I hope ash uses a reserve (maybe torterra, bayleef, or even snivy or oshawott) against brock, though snivy or oshawott would most likely lose

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Mega Steelix deserves to demolish Ash quite frankly, after his bullocks 'victory' in their first Gym Battle :p
Gym leaders get to use their own judgement to some degree when it comes to what counts as earning a badge. Brock believed it counted, and so it did.

I'm happy Ash is using his current Pokemon instead of reserves against Brock. They deserved the spotlight more than his past Pokemon.
So pokemon that haven't been used in years are less deserving than pokemon that are the focus of the current series? What sense does that make?

Oh yeah, actually he never really won any of the Kanto badges in a fair battle. Their where more gifts then anything.
Are you being sarcastic? There's no arguing that he didn't win badges against Surge, Koga and Blaine in genuine battles.

And again, gym leaders decide if a trainer has earned a badge even if the trainer doesn't win the battle.

Well Dusk Lycanroc just evolved recently, and barely mastered Continental Crush. Logically speaking, I personally don't think it should even be close to the power of Brock's regular Steelix, let alone Mega Steelix. But of course because of plot, and gen VII promotion, if Lycanroc were to battle Mega Steelix, I'd expect it to win.
Let's keep in mind that Brock's Onix had a HORRIBLE battle record, and it only improved so much as a Steelix. Whereas Lycanroc has been presented as a competent battler for a long time. It may lack super effective moves as far as we know, but I can see the writer's deciding to bring up the Tough Claws ability and have it wear Steelix down with its sheer speed and a bunch of Bite attacks.

Also, when they won against her, it was pretty clear her ace's power was dumbed down several notches.
One has to consider Mega Lucario was already weakened from Ash's other pokemon when it faced Pikachu, and that Pikachu was now more ready to face it, having faced it both in its reckless battling state and its feral state.

A super move that can only be used once vs a super mode that can be used on only 1 Pokemon per battle but last the entire match?
Given Megas can be beaten by non-Mega pokemon without even using Z-moves, I don't see it as such a drastic distinction.

Mega Evolution is the pokemon's body achieving its ultimate/perfected state, whereas Z-moves are the ultimate/perfect forms of attacks. 1 on 1 the two are not inherently inferior or superior to the other, as being able to be used for the whole match doesn't mean anything if the mega gets knocked out by the Z-move. Being able to be used against more than one pokemon of an opponent's is a natural advantage of mega evolution admittedly, but that doesn't apply in a 1 on 1 battle.

That is because pikachu at its peak like vs latios, regice, alain, frontier brains, 8th gym leader who all are much stronger than misty's gyarados is(even mega is) would destroy gyarados. Lets be honest misty is a 2nd gym leader of the kanto region, even with mega at best she could attain the level of 6-7th gym and will still be inferior to 8th gym.
The order of the gym leaders equating strength has never been used consistently in the anime. Sometimes they play it straight, other times they hint that the gym leader is only using such strong pokemon because they know Ash already has all the other badges, and thus would use weaker pokemon against trainers who had fewer badges.

We've also seen many times the gym leaders own a lot more pokemon than they use in any given match (and that these would logically vary a lot in experience and power), and we've explicitly been shown that they can and do "hold back" depending on the ability of the opponent. Just look at Wulfric, who didn't use Mega Evolution against Ash until he judged Ash to be a opponent qualified for it.

If you think about it, this makes more sense than having every new trainer in a region be forced to travel past a bunch of gyms until they reach the "first" gym. At most it seems like gym leaders only have "preferences" rather than "requirements" when it comes to the level of the trainers they battle (Clemont explicitly says this).

Heck, do you think new trainers in Johto would stand any chance against the team anime Falkner used against Ash? He is the first gym leader but because Ash's team was stronger than a starting trainer they had him use a much stronger team than is typical for a first gym leader.

You dont seem to get it that no matter how much misty trains she is still weaker than frontier brains or the 8th gym leader.
And what evidence is there of this? We know gym leaders can train and get more powerful like any other trainer. The only limits are their own abilities, not whatever arbitrary number you give their gym. And we have no idea what has happened with Misty's Gyarados since we last saw it, how it may have progressed, etc.

Last edited:

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
The anime made the distinction that Mega Evolution could only truly be used by a trainer who has fully brought their Pokemon to peak performance, and has a true connection and resonance to the Pokemon Mega Evolving. It's a feat that only two Kalos gym leaders, two Champions, Lysandre, two high-ranking Kalos League trainers, and two high-profile mercenaries have been shown to do successfully.

It says a lot about Brock's and Misty's abilities that they are now in this tier. Brock especially, for someone who isn't really a dedicated Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Nope, Trevor.

We honestly don't know how strong his MCY is compared to Ash's remaining Kalos team(except for Pikachu and Greninja). Any one of Hawlucha/Talonflame/Goodra/Noivern would get one-shot by MCX.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
We honestly don't know how strong his MCY is compared to Ash's remaining Kalos team(except for Pikachu and Greninja). Any one of Hawlucha/Talonflame/Goodra/Noivern would get one-shot by MCX.

Yeah, but atleast those have the excuse of being base Pokémon. Trevor's was a freakin Mega, and got destroyed by one Flamethrower. Anyway, given Alain's MCX is freakishly strong, I guess it was bound to happen.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yeah, but atleast those have the excuse of being base Pokémon. Trevor's was a freakin Mega, and got destroyed by one Flamethrower. Anyway, given Alain's MCX is freakishly strong, I guess it was bound to happen.

MCX is someone who beat an E4 Mega, so that's natural. Flint's Infernape one-shot Ash's Infernape, one of his major powerhouses (though it was newly evolved then).

Master Pikachu 11

Hopefully Ash loses to one of them.... and that should be Brock. Misty's beaten him before in the Whirl Cup but I can't remember Brock ever getting one over Ash. I don't want this to be straight up 'lul z-moves are better than Mega evolutions!'. I love Mega Evolution more than z-moves
I want to see Ash lose. Even if it's Litten against Steelix.
Besides the water lovers got enough love so far.... and Mega Gyarados got love before too, Steelix hasn't.

He lost to Brock on their first battle and first time they met before he came back to have a rematch!

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Honestly Brock needs to win just to get something for once, although I do see Ash's pokemon getting something in the battle depending on who he uses, Rowlet(new move/evo), or Lycanroc(new move).

Status
Not open for further replies.