• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 27th: PM2019 039 - Satoshi VS Saito! Overcome Octolock!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Beast Lover

I think it's a reference to the episode where Iris bonded with a Deino. The way the episode played and considering Iris' goal was to be a dragon master, people thought Deino would have been caught by Iris but it turned out it had a trainer already, thus all speculation was in vain.

Ash and the Riolu from the DP two parter - which was mostly to promote Pokémon Ranger Shadows of Almia - were handled in a similar fashion.

Though I'd argue that 1) that Riolu came before Deino and 2) technically May and Swablu did it first lol
Ugh don't remind me about Swablu. I was so upset it couldn't come with XD

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I think it's a reference to the episode where Iris bonded with a Deino. The way the episode played and considering Iris' goal was to be a dragon master, people thought Deino would have been caught by Iris but it turned out it had a trainer already, thus all speculation was in vain.

Ash and the Riolu from the DP two parter - which was mostly to promote Pokémon Ranger Shadows of Almia - were handled in a similar fashion.

Though I'd argue that 1) that Riolu came before Deino and 2) technically May and Swablu did it first lol

While this is both true, the Deino episode stuck pretty hard because (as opposed to May) the episode was pretty much the development Iris needed to work towards her goal (since we know Axew wasn't going anywhere)(and whereas Swablu would be just another cute teammember on May's team) - and the episode forcefully and abruptly disallowed her the chance to go forward with what was set-up in that episode. That's why (imo) gives Deino the larger kneejerk reaction, since they left Iris' development dead in the water until Opelucid City/Dragonite capture, while they could've worked on it continuously with Deino and worked it up to Zweilous before throwing Dragonite on her team.

And since the show has a history with troublesome moments involving Riolu (Cameron's comes to mind), it wouldn't be clear what the post would be referring to.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
While this is both true, the Deino episode stuck pretty hard because (as opposed to May) the episode was pretty much the development Iris needed to work towards her goal (since we know Axew wasn't going anywhere)(and whereas Swablu would be just another cute teammember on May's team) - and the episode forcefully and abruptly disallowed her the chance to go forward with what was set-up in that episode. That's why (imo) gives Deino the larger kneejerk reaction, since they left Iris' development dead in the water until Opelucid City/Dragonite capture, while they could've worked on it continuously with Deino and worked it up to Zweilous before throwing Dragonite on her team.

And since the show has a history with troublesome moments involving Riolu (Cameron's comes to mind), it wouldn't be clear what the post would be referring to.
Tbh to this day I still don’t know why they gave Iris a Dragonite of all things. Having the Deino line on the main cast at the time would’ve made much more sense but it was never meant to be.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.

Ding ding!

It felt like we were teased the whole 2 episodes with how Ash was so close to Riolu, and that Riolu zero-ing its senses on just him. Not even romantic stories are this horrendous at teasing.
Tbh to this day I still don’t know why they gave Iris a Dragonite of all things. Having the Deino line on the main cast at the time would’ve made much more sense but it was never meant to be.
Don't worry. To make that up, the writers discreetly(?) shoved Deino after Deino after Deino stuff whenever possible in the saga, even when it didn't make sense. (Same could be said the many times Druddigon appeared.)

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.

While I agree I dunno why Dragonite was the exact chosen pokemon, I've always looked at it as slight promotion for the B2W2 games where she became champion as to why she was given such a powerful pokemon out of nowhere regardless, I know it's a minor thing in the grand scheme, but that's how I felt about it personally.

Granted it could've been any pseudo dragon (hydreigon would've indeed made more sense), but overall I believe that's why she was given it.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
there is one other thing Ash could try.

but it would probably be regarded as bad as evolution (since there is a lot of stinginess here about this battle) and would require Riolu to learn a steel move...

Red and Blue

there is one other thing Ash could try.

but it would probably be regarded as bad as evolution (since there is a lot of stinginess here about this battle) and would require Riolu to learn a steel move...
Are you suggesting Ash using Corkscrew Crasher to defeat Grapploct?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Inspiration from seeing Kiawe using his again I guess?
Element of surprise? Bea might not be familiar with Z moves

little bit of a, little bit of b, your both right.

here's another thing though

on a personal level I feel that Corkscrew Crash needs redemption, it was only used in one episode twice once training and once in battle, and Guzma's Golisipod pretty much repelled it like nobodies business, and we never saw the attack ever again, despite Meltan joining Ash.

I know it's a long shot, but i'd personally like to see it, especially since Riolu wouldn't have to evolve to win, and as far as I'm concerned all gimmicks are fair game in battle, so why not do it.

besides trying to grapple a moving drill would hurt like heck I think.

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
...What has this thread turned into?

Ahem. I'm more for a strategy where Ash has Riolu use Force Palm on each individual tentacle of Grapploct's in an effort to maybe paralyze it... *sees Grapploct's ability* ...Shoot.

But the general idea I think Ash should go for is make Riolu use Force Palm to repel the Octolock, followed by attacking in that split-second with either Vacuum Wave or Reversal.

I don't think he's using a Z-Move here, folks. As much as I'd love it, it's a little too soon for him to go into Z-Moves for this series, especially with a Pokémon he hasn't practiced them with before. Besides, he doesn't even have a Fightinium Z.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Meh I’m still betting that they’ll take the evolution route for this.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
bingo.

you figured it out pretty fast, congrats.
That would make sense if Ash had met Hala (an expert in fighting types) in the latest episode to come with some counter against octolock. But, let’s see what will be the plan.

No, I don’t think Bea will smile in the end. Nor I want.

...What has this thread turned into?

Ahem. I'm more for a strategy where Ash has Riolu use Force Palm on each individual tentacle of Grapploct's in an effort to maybe paralyze it... *sees Grapploct's ability* ...Shoot.

But the general idea I think Ash should go for is make Riolu use Force Palm to repel the Octolock, followed by attacking in that split-second with either Vacuum Wave or Reversal.

I don't think he's using a Z-Move here, folks. As much as I'd love it, it's a little too soon for him to go into Z-Moves for this series, especially with a Pokémon he hasn't practiced them with before. Besides, he doesn't even have a Fightinium Z.

My idea too, but swiftly discarded. Despite the fact that even ground types can be paralyzed if they make contact with a thing with static (I guess? Not playing for a looong time).

I’d prefer if Ash comes with some combo (force palm + vacuum wave, for example) to bar the tentacles, then some crazy trick for finishing.

Last edited:

NegaiFreak

Plus Ultra!
No, I don’t think Bea will smile in the end. Nor I want.

Dude, it's gonna happen. Whether it be this episode or the next time we see Bea, she's gonna crack that smile.

It's not necessarily a shipping thing, you know. It's her way of showing that she genuinely respects/trusts a certain person. Ash fits that bill pretty well. I pointed that out in an earlier part of the discussion... and it turned into kind of a joke. The only question now is will it happen here or another time?

Guess it depends on how Ash does...

Status
Not open for further replies.