• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 27th: PM2019 039 - Satoshi VS Saito! Overcome Octolock!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Eh they’ll just do things in offscreenland cause why not.

I'm sure the training is being done off-screen, training arcs are annoying so them showing Riolu like they were before at the start of episodes training means we know its being trained, but due to what happened he got even more focus, so Farfetch'd should get some, its like Riolu was the only one that lost.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I'm sure the training is being done off-screen, training arcs are annoying so them showing Riolu like they were before at the start of episodes training means we know its being trained, but due to what happened he got even more focus, so Farfetch'd should get some, its like Riolu was the only one that lost.
They’re hyping up the Riolu one in particular since Farfetch’d’s battle with Hawlucha was... really minor and the main part was vs Grapploct which Riolu was used in and coincidentally the pup lost two more in a row against coincidentally... tentacle mons.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
It's a shame that Riolu can't learn Taunt as that'd be a valid counter against Octolock. Though I think an acceptable alternative to Riolu evolving to overcome Octolock was if it were to learn Protect.

I really hope that's not how it happens, because that would mean Ash didn't have a strategy or basically lucked out, would really diminish the victory honestly
I have to agree here because that's how Ash lost in the Unova League, his opponent lucked out when his Riolu evolved and used its newly gained strength to attain victory.

PsychoLogical

It's a shame that Riolu can't learn Taunt as that'd be a valid counter against Octolock. Though I think an acceptable alternative to Riolu evolving to overcome Octolock was if it were to learn Protect.

I have to agree here because that's how Ash lost in the Unova League, his opponent lucked out when his Riolu evolved and used its newly gained strength to attain victory.
I really don’t see the issue cause this isn’t even uncommon. The whole evolution in battle thing has been a thing since the OS.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I really don’t see the issue 'cause this isn’t even uncommon. The whole evolution in battle thing has been a thing since the OS.
I'm not saying that it's an issue, and I know that it's been a thing since the OS, I feel that it shouldn't be a go-to solution to solve an issue like this. I'd be fine with the evolution happening after the battle though.

I really don’t see the issue cause this isn’t even uncommon. The whole evolution in battle thing has been a thing since the OS.

IIRC it became a thing in BW. From what I remember all of Ash's mons(before BW) that evolved in real battles evolved after beating their opponent.

Last edited:

Sidagam

But it hasn't been used to win important battles (Gym & League) since BW. It's as if the writers realised it was a bad trope

I really hope Riolu doesn't evolve to win. Have them come up with a strategy to overcome Bea which works and they win. Then pull an Incineroar. Ash and Riolu are so elated that they've won the battle that Riolu evolves.

PsychoLogical

I'm not saying that it's an issue, and I know that it's been a thing since the OS, I feel that it shouldn't be a go-to solution to solve an issue like this. I'd be fine with the evolution happening after the battle though.
Truth to be told, I just want the evolution to happen just to get it over with. During battle or not so they could potentially start shifting focus more on the duck and any other unevolved mon Ash may own later down the line.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
But it hasn't been used to win important battles (Gym & League) since BW. It's as if the writers realised it was a bad trope

I really hope Riolu doesn't evolve to win. Have them come up with a strategy to overcome Bea which works and they win. Then pull an Incineroar. Ash and Riolu are so elated that they've won the battle that Riolu evolves.
Kukui exhibition match Torracat vs. Incineroar.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Truth to be told, I just want the evolution to happen just to get it over with. During battle or not so they could potentially start shifting focus more on the duck and any other unevolved mons Ash may own later down the line.
I'm not against the idea of "getting it over with" since we know it's going to happen from the opening, although on the flipside I can think of three instances of a Pokemon appearing in the OP but not be acquired by a character for more than 10 episodes;
Togekiss (The opening debuted in DP158, capture happened in DP171)
Druddigon (The opening showing it debuted in BW123, Clair acquired it in BW136)
Eevee (The opening it debuted in XY071, capture happened in XY089)

Last edited:

LucasMV

Didn't Ash's Frogadier defeat Sanpei's brother despite Sanpei having a (rather sucky) Greninja?

Yeah, you have a point. Unevolved pokemon can be stronger than their evolution, it's more dependant on the individual strenght or even the trainer rather than the stage they're at. Ash's Frogadier was likely stronger than Sanpei's Greninja.
But I think that there's no way Riolu is stronger than Korrina's Mega Lucario. As a Lucario? Sure, since he's shown to have potential to be special, but as a Riolu I'm not so sure. Unless heavy strategy is involved, I guess.

Zariful

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Yeah, you have a point. Unevolved pokemon can be stronger than their evolution, it's more dependant on the individual strenght or even the trainer rather than the stage they're at. Ash's Frogadier was likely stronger than Sanpei's Greninja.
But I think that there's no way Riolu is stronger than Korrina's Mega Lucario. As a Lucario? Sure, since he's shown to have potential to be special, but as a Riolu I'm not so sure. Unless heavy strategy is involved, I guess.
If they do beat Bea, though, that only means Korrina really let herself go despite not wanting to.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but Ash trying to figure out how to overcome Octolock reminds me of how he tried to figure out how to stop Fantina's Hypnosis in DP.

PsychoLogical

It doesn't look like she's wearing the G-max Band so I doubt they're in Galar.

Plus this fight I focusing on Riolu and Octolock so her pulling out a G-Max Machamp would feel incredibly random at this point in time
Tbh I think the rematch takes place outside of Galar where Ash wins this time with the bonus of Riolu evolving but instead of ending it off here, they’re having Bea request another rematch with Ash but in Galar. And tbh as much as I hate to say it, they may also drag this on longer by taking the time to show off Bea’s love for sweets and the “who has seen her smile” thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.