• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 2nd: PM2019 123 - The Semifinals II: Dazzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyBlaze9125

About Cynthia v Iris.

So Cynthia is stronger than Iris. Their battle proved that but….

Iris still prove her strength and right from the beginning Cynthia said she wasn’t going easy on her.

1. She knock out 2 of Cynthia’s mon.
2. Successfully execute a strategy to lure Garchomp in to fire Dragon Pulse (didn’t really work but she did it)
3. Figure out 2 way to Counter Draco Meteor.

nuzamaki90

Well, no wonder. With that many animation directors, it's going to be a really awfully animated intro.
Some of those names are actually pretty decent. Aiko Oyama and Koki Yanagihara means at least the character animation will be pretty nice for the most part. Oyama has done a lot of work on Demon Slayer S2 + the Mugen Train movie, and Koki has worked on some pretty good episodes in JN thus far.

The one you should be worried about is Kimiyo Nakamura who just don’t have any good cuts to their name. Super choppy key animator who hopefully won’t have done too many cuts for the episode. I’ve never seen Shotaro Hamanaka though so I’m guessing they are a new freelancer.

tsunamimijumaru

Iwane Masaaki is the exception to the rule. Literally nobody on this planet has ever done what Iwane does, which is three very important things: Iwane solo key animates an episode, Iwane does so every team rotation and he does it extremely well and he often shows off his various different skills (character acting, comedy, action, smoke, debris, liquids, action, mecha, etc). Often times when an animator solo animates an episode in every rotation it doesn't look all that special (many Toei Animation cartoons were like this in the past). Sometimes a skilled animator will solo key animate and episode for a series but they will only do that once because the schedule doesn't allow them to do any more or they simply don't want to. Iwane does the impossibly by regularly doing all three of those things and he's done it off-and-on since 1998. A full list of his credits for Pokemon can be found here. Clicking here will take you to Iwane's tag on Sakugabooru (a site for cataloging which pieces of animation an animator did).

Anyway, the other skilled animators who worked on Sun & Moon are all off on other projects. Yamazaki Rei is one of the few hold-overs from Sun & Moon along with Iwane.

For Diamond & Pearl all of the good animation was done by Iwane or Tamagawa Akihiro. Tamagawa retired a few years ago due to health issues (I assume he overworked himself too much but I can't say for sure).

Tamagawa's Pokemon credits. Tamagawa on Sakugabooru.

Damn the man really is a god send. His work ethic must be insane to put in all that work over the years. Thanks for the list of credits, that saves a lot of time than just clicking through Bulbapedia. Hopefully some of the SM team make a return for the nest series but I dunno how likely that is. Shame about Tamagawa hopefully he's in good health now.

And then he will come back and win
God I hate battles where it seems like Ash will loose and then he comes back and wins (every single JN battle in a nutshell)

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Damn the man really is a god send. His work ethic must be insane to put in all that work over the years. Thanks for the list of credits, that saves a lot of time than just clicking through Bulbapedia. Hopefully some of the SM team make a return for the nest series but I dunno how likely that is. Shame about Tamagawa hopefully he's in good health now.

Iwane really is just insane. We're lucky to get him on Pokemon.

Here's a Animage March 2015 interview with him, by the way. He explains his history (up until then) with the series and animation in general.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
The one you should be worried about is Kimiyo Nakamura who just don’t have any good cuts to their name. Super choppy key animator who hopefully won’t have done too many cuts for the episode. I’ve never seen Shotaro Hamanaka though so I’m guessing they are a new freelancer.

Hamanaka is new to the industry in general, only has a few credits on some recent Pokemon episodes and only worked as animation director on Shikizakura before that.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
Some of those names are actually pretty decent. Aiko Oyama and Koki Yanagihara means at least the character animation will be pretty nice for the most part. Oyama has done a lot of work on Demon Slayer S2 + the Mugen Train movie, and Koki has worked on some pretty good episodes in JN thus far.

I did a bit of looking around and the only thing I found on Aiko Oyama from a quick Google search is that they helped with 2nd KA on Demon Slayer. A 2nd key animator's role is to clean up rough key animation drawings and doesn't actually draw the key animation themselves which doesn't say anything about the quality of their work or the type of animation they specialize in. I found a few credits for Kimiyo Nakamura but again, there's just not enough to go off of and I haven't been able to find any cuts specifically animated by them. Hamanaka's worked on a few in-house JN episodes.

Keep in mind that these are only the animation directors and may not even provide key animation for the episode. They correct drawings that aren't up to par and add their own style if they feel like it and have enough time. The quality of the animation itself comes down to the skilled staff on hand, scheduling, and number of drawings allotted to that episode.

Checking the animation directors working on an episode can give you good idea of which team is working on it, whether it's outsourced or in-house, or what stylistic choices will be applied to the drawings (how characters look, expressions, shading, etc), but looking at their own cuts isn't a surefire way to tell if it'll have good animation.

On a side note, Pokemon is far from the only show with absurd amounts of animation directors right now. The last episode of AOT S4 pt2 had 20 regular animation directors for instance, and other recent shows I've watched have a handful per episode as well. Everyone is struggling to keep up with the growing demands of the industry, JN isn't unique in that regard.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
From Corocoro, I think.

iQxXfue.jpg

DEFEAT SHIRONA, THE SUPER SKILLED BATTLER HOLDING RANK 2 IN THE MASTER CLASS!!!
Satoshi is participating in a tournament that will declare the best Pokémon battler of all! And he's aiming to win!!

CAN SATOSHI PASS THE SEMIFINALS?!
Satoshi has qualified for the semifinals, but his next opponent is Shirona! Get ready for a fierce match where neither of the two is willing to give an inch!

PREMONITIONS OF AN AMAZING CLASH!!
Which Pokémon will the two send out first?

*Here's Gangar's Will-O-Wisp! Drive your opponents to the wall with burns!
*Pikachu is pumped! Will it use its signature move?

Shirona's powerful Pokemon: Gablias (Dragon/Ground), Tritodon West Sea (Water/Ground) and Milokaross (Water)
A balanced lineup centered around Gablias!

"The Semifinals II: Dazzle" (airs September 2nd)
Satoshi and Shirona finally clash! Make sure to catch the entirety of the match against this unbeliavably powerful opponent!
"The Semifinals III: Valor" (airs September 9th)
The battle between Satoshi and Shirona continue on with no clear winner in sight! What could the word "valor" refer to?!

Let me get this straight:

Ash is struggling against Cynthia with no real opportunity to strike back,while Iris defeats two of her Pokémon? We are going to see Ash suffer right? AGAIN THE UNDERDOG
Yeah it makes no sense that Iris got the first KO (even if it was by Horn Drill)

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Let me get this straight:

Ash is struggling against Cynthia with no real opportunity to strike back,while Iris defeats two of her Pokémon? We are going to see Ash suffer right? AGAIN THE UNDERDOG
Okay here me out. Iris has had her Pokémon since whenever the heck BW started and Ash just caught this team

Why is Pikachu doing worse and jobbing earlier than Haxorus is the true question

Last edited:

Eevee903

You are awesome!
It can only make sense for Cynthia to gain a lead if she uses Pokemon that leave Ash stumped or because of better skill.
I honestly wouldn't even mind that (cause at this is Cynthia, it would make sense!) But the same thing happened to half of his other PWC matches. Basically is the same pattern over again:

1)He suffers

In the most cases leading to an easy job/knockout: Dragonite in Ash vs Raihan or Sirfechted in Ash vs Bea

2)He comes back

One Pokémon defeating one or multiple members of the team:
Lucario in both Bea vs Ash and Volkner vs Ash or Gengar in Ash vs Raihan

3) The last Pokémon defeating his opponent in an anticlimactic way:
Pikachus 10MVTB in Ash vs Steven and Ash vs Volkner
Lucario with Mega Evolution in Ash vs Bea or Dynamax Aura Sphere in Ash vs Raihan

Example:
Ash vs BeaAsh vs RaihanAsh vs StevenAsh vs Volkner
Pokémon 1Sirfechted
Faints
Dragonite
Faints
Dracovish
Faints
Gengar Faints
Pokemon 2Pikachu
Defeats 1 Pokemon
Gengar defeats 2 PokemonGengar Defeats 1 PokemonLucario defeats 2 Pokemon
Pokemon 3Lucario defeats 2 Pokemon Lucario defeats 1 Pokemon Pikachu defeats 2 Pokemon Pikachu defeats 1 Pokemon

We can take this even further in other M8 battles:
Cynthia vs IrisAlain vs LeonLance vs Diantha
Pokemon 1Gastrodon
Faints
Chesnaught faintsAurorus faints
Pokemon 2Dragonite faintsMalamar faintsGyarados faints
Pokemon 3Garchomp defeats 1 PokemonCharizard defeats 2 pokemon Gardevoir defeats 2

The only difference between this and a 6vs6 battle is that it is on a bigger scale. Kinda feel like it will go similar.. Journeys patterns are just kinda predictable

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.