• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 3rd: PM2019 079 - The Moon and the Sun; Koharu and Haruhi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well, he's right for the most part about that as well. Look at Snowpoint City in JN008, Castelia City in JN048, Azalea Town in JN032 etc. Do any of those even look recognizable w.r.t. their game counterparts much less their past anime depiction? Does the worldbuilding try to reference the past there, or does it distance itself? Even if you count the recent few episodes, which ones really stand out? Oak's corral and Opelucid Gym are the only ones that come to mind.

The well depicted worldbuilding examples are few in between.
Again, you miss my point. Fair criticism of the world building but saying the series doesn't seem to want to reference past events and series when we are literally rn getting 4 episodes in a row referencing 2 past series seems unfair to me. My point is about the wording of his world building argument rather then the argument itself. JN doesn't not want to reference past events and series, it's been doing that more than any other series in the past

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Most of the continuity and past references of JN that has happened so far is through the character-based interactions and dialogue, not through worldbuilding (at least not for a majority lof the episodes, hence why I had brought up the Alola example as an example for the positive and Azalea Town as an example of negative). The worldbuilding has hardly done any of that; If you want a very recent example then Dawn's 2-parteris right there. Tell me how much the worldbuilding did for the continuity in those 2 episodes?
Are you purposely ignoring my point or what? When did I argue the world building stuff? And let's not pretend there has been zero world building what with Littleroot town being the exact copy of hoenn back then, Vermillion city having that same cafe shown in BW, Tower of Mastery view being identical to XY in the floette episode, Joanna still being a top coordinator to talk about a Pokémon contest in Jubilife city, etc. Nothings been contradicted. And again, don't ignore my point otherwise we will just keep going in circles. The wording that "the series seems to not want to reference past events and series" is inherently false and laughable considering the current slate of episodes

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I never ignored your point, I was bringing you back to the actual topic being brought up by @Maxim. This is exactly why I asked you to read the rest of his post properly. You're taking one (poorly worded) sentence completely out of context and literally word for word, and mistakenly think that it means he's saying that there's no continuity at all. Because the rest of his post doesn't imply anything of the sorts outside of the setting/world.
I'm not taking anything out of context. My entire post was picking at his wording for his argument not the argument itself. JN can be weak in worldbuilding but the line "it doesn't want to reference past/series events" is just plain wrong. The argument could be worded better without a line that is blatantly wrong and ironic with current scenarios. Just because JN is weak in worldbuilding (and it HAS shown some worldbuilding with respect to past series like I pointed out) doesn't equate to it not wanting to reference past series and events. It's just a modern take on most cities, BF literally did the same

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Tbh while JN does do a lot of references, a lot of the time it just feels surface level. In the end it kinda feels like this (and I'm saying it as someone that finds RO to be the best of the Disney SW films, low bar, but still)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
How do we know that Sakuragi/Cerize is a last name rather than a first name?

Granted, the main games professors are called by their last name but who is to say the same has to apply to Cerize? He is an anime original, after all so it's very possible Sakuragi/Cerize is indeed his first name and he uses it. Yeah, Japan tends to go on a family name basis but I don't think a possibility like that is out of the realm of possibility. Kind of fits with the series mentality of trying to do things differently....

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
How do we know that Sakuragi/Cerize is a last name rather than a first name?

Granted, the main games professors are called by their last name but who is to say the same has to apply to Cerize? He is an anime original, after all so it's very possible Sakuragi/Cerize is indeed his first name and he uses it. Yeah, Japan tends to go on a family name basis but I don't think a possibility like that is out of the realm of possibility. Kind of fits with the series mentality of trying to do things differently....
Isn't it spelled Cerise?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Beats me. For some reason I thought it was with a z

*checks*

It's indeed with a "S". All my life, I've been living a lie. Oh well, just use the correct spelling from now on, I guess.

Thanks!

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Eevee encounter episodes won’t be single pieces…great because having individual episodes for them all doing the same thing (potentially inspiring Eevee’s possibilities) sounded really mundane. I don’t find Eevees that interesting but this plot of a Koharu-clone did remind me of the AG episode with Misato’s double at least…guessing the boy watching is some villain/antagonist/feudal-type character…they could maybe have Koharu/Haruhi wear Legends of Arceus garb to suit the occasion?

Would be great if Eevee got new moves…but it’s whole thing is being a copycat and very simple alongside basic vanilla Tackling…so giving it other typed moves might be a discrepancy in how they wanna portray its story through Koharu’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.