• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 8th: SM138 - The Finals! The Ultimate Rival Showdown!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Yeah let's hype up Ash's relationship with Kukui and Masked Royal and Torracat's development, make an entire episode to Ash inspiring past Professor Kukui, have an Ash vs Kukui battle interrupted and never resumed since SM002, show Kukui dreaming about Ash vs Masked Royal in the opening...

To crush everything because Ash can't win even a somewhat amateur league.
Sometimes this kind of stuff goes nowhere. This is the Pokemon anime we're talking about here. Things never turn out how you want it.

Red and Blue

Yes, an anime that wouldn't do a fight like that.
Why not? They've dedicated episodes to Ash's rivals fighting champion tier trainers like Paul vs. Cynthia or Paul vs. Brandon

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
These things are so weird Ash might somehow lose to Guzma and the Ultimate Rival Showdown might mean Guzma vs Kukui

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Why not? They've dedicated episodes to Ash's rivals fighting champion tier trainers like Paul vs. Cynthia or Paul vs. Brandon
Yes, and those episodes were critical to showcasing Paul's strength. Gladion battling Professor Kukui means nothing to the series. After Ash battles Gladion, if he does, then that's their rivalry done.

Master Pikachu 11

Yeah. Gladion can fight Kukui if the writers let him.
I think because we are so use to seeing him lose that we should just assume that he will. But I’m going to go into this episode believing that he could win and if he doesn’t then oh well. However, here is my prediction, since I was right about Ash using Torracat first against Guzma and he will most likely use Pikachu as his last Pokémon. Pikachu will be the one that uses the Z move. Which means that if Pikachu uses the Z move as I suspect then Torracat doesn’t get to use his own Z move so that increases the chances of Ash beating Gladion because they made it a plot point of Ash going back in time and getting Firium for Torracat. Why give Torracat a Z move just before the league if they don’t plan on showing it off.

Revolver Furious Dragon

What about a draw? Then they both get an exhibition match with kukri

Or galdion wins but declines the match in favour of going to find his father so ash fights instead

playerking

I think the watching a different version of the show then the rest of us
Gladion fighting Professor Kukui for an episode, when Ash has a connection to Professor Kukui doesn't make sense to me. Things happen in the anime that don't make sense, but big things like this are not one of them.

I can actually see a Gladion vs. Professor Kukui battle happening.
Really? Something built up for a long time, a battle that would mean something for Ash and Torracat and nothing for Gladion? If a battle with Professor Kukui wasn't one of the rewards, the chances of Ash winning would be lower, but Ash winning a League doesn't mean his dream would end. Do you expect Ash to be in the finals every series from now on? Or regress to losing in the first round next season and then progress further and further until the cycle repeats.

Or galdion wins but declines the match in favour of going to find his father so ash fights instead

A draw is possible, but I don't think Gladion would leave when he could have earlier and I don't think Professor Kukui would bend the rules.

playerking

Because the anime always makes sense.

Although it makes less sense it's what in hoping for. You know if ash faces kukui it's going to come down to yet another unevolved Pokémon faces it's evolved form *yawn* and we really don't need anymore of them
Things don't, but this build up would be beyond making no sense. If the (possible) signs weren't there, then sure, Gladion could win. Also, it would be another one of those battles, but those two have a strong rivalry. You saw how motivated Torracat was in SM127, right?

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Also looks like Meltan was forgotten, Ash would like to use Pikachu, Torracat and Lycanroc because of the rivalries
The leak even comes to mind

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
The anime writers did once say that if Ash wins a league then the series is over.

playerking

why is this a theory?
Agreed. If the balloons represented something, why would it be who wins the League? If it means something, IF it does, it could represent Ash leaving his classmates soon.

The anime writers did once say that if Ash wins a league then the series is over.
No, they actually did not. That was a joke.

DatsRight

This league would be the best case besides the 'non-games' ones to have Ash win given it's more divergent take and the after prize. Rather than a more complex Elite Four arc, this one is compressed and offers Ash one last one on one with an Alola champ. He can still lose at that point to say he's still not quite met his standards, especially with the Alola league being less competitive in it's earlier phases. Kukui could remain the guy to top.

The biggest thing I can see against it is story structure. None of the other potential candidates really have a deep connection with Kukui besides Guzma. Unless it triggered some new development for Kiawe or Gladion it would feel far less relevant than Ash.

Of course at the end of it there's still status quo and formula to think about. Like the Kalos league, it would be nice to see him win, but I wouldn't be all that surprised or horrified if he didn't.

Master Pikachu 11

This won’t happen for a number of reasons, Gladion is not the type of person that will decline the battle. Also Ash will not want to battle RM if he doesn’t beat Gladion as he will still be disappointed in the loss and we the viewers don’t need to see him lose back to back times just so the writers can show us the viewers what a terrible team that Ash has and it would add even more insult to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.