1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

September 8th: SM138 - The Finals! The Ultimate Rival Showdown!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Right after the red balloon floated into the air the scene transitioned to the stadium. While the balloons could be symbolic of something else at the same time it could represent the league victor.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. Master Pikachu 11

Master Pikachu 11 Well-Known Member

Dephender has already posted on multiple occasions on different discussions that this is not true and that it was a joke and it did not mean that Ash winning the league meant that the series was over.

Ashfahad123, Ignition, satopi and 4 others like this.
  3. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

Including, as it were, in this very thread.

4. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

And I recall Dephender clarying the statement was about the Pokémon Master goal, not a League Victory.

5. Ambyssin

Ambyssin Winter can't come soon enough

Honestly, since this is an "atypical competition" (as so many people like to point out), I'm expecting Ash to win this time. He's won the other atypical formats the anime has done (Orange League, Battle Frontier) and this isn't the standard "Eight badges, then tournament" scenario, so history is (technically) in his favor. ironic since i'm not rooting for him :V

6. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

If you believe that League Victory = Pokémon Master. And coincidentally, the anime showrunners are now emphasizing that being a Pokémon Master is more than just winning Leagues. Hmmm... :cool:

Let's be clear there is only one consistent rule they'll break or otherwise the show is over: Team Rocket Never Wins (As in capturing Pikachu and giving it to the Boss). You'll have a better chance of Ash aging to 11 than Team Rocket ever succeeding in their goal.

Anyways, if they really want to make the finals more ambiguous, they would have given Gladion the Trip fanboyism treatment. Make the Royal Mask Gladion's personal hero that he wants to meet and fight. That's why Trip won the Junior Tournament over Ash in BW. His hero was the Champion Alder, and he'll do anything to get that exhibition match.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  7. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

If Kiawe was here it'd be easier to root for both sides...

I do hope they allow Ash to win the League in Galar, so we can see what happens when one wins a real League. And honestly, an official match against an Elite Four member is a long time coming! Would certainly make the "lol I'll battle you if you win the League" remarks actually seem promising as there's a chance that will happen

Leonhart likes this.
  8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Well since this League doesn't seem to be as integral as some previous Leagues were, I don't think that Satoshi winning it would advance his dream given that at most he'll win a trophy and have the title of Champion for a little while until he has to leave Alola. So him winning this tournament would feel less special than him winning the Kalos League would've been for instance.

9. GhostWallker98

GhostWallker98 Active Member

Tbh, I don't care if he doesn't win any other league for the next 2 years, but PLEASE let him win this one. After that horrible battle with Hau, he better come out the victor. Do not want the same case with Alain again to where he loses 3 times to the same character. Alain defeated an elite four member, while Gladion doesn't really have any notable victories other than against Ash and Kiawe unless I am missing something. It made sense in Alain's case, but not for Gladion's. As much as I want to, I want to say that he will win but everytime I do, the opposite happens. Going to hope for the best.

maartjeverhoef likes this.
  10. Miky

Miky 米歇尔

Good day, everyone!

I heard that there is a supposed rumor that has to do with Ash potentially winning the league, against Gladion in the finals. If I may have a two cent take on that, has there been any rumors about the next episodes that was proved to be real and doesn't have to do with short summaries? I'm thinking that the EP 138 short summary would be something along the lines of 'Who will win in the finals?!' instead of saying who would win.

As far as I know, I haven't seen someone saying a episode leak that was proved to be true, but I'm aware it's rare for that to even happen. Personally, I doubt Ash will win the league, given today's episode, but I would be a little surprised if that were true. While it is true that spoilers may lower people's expectations or excitement because of knowing who will there be, even if it's a spoiler, they would likely be surprised if Ash won. The last time was in Orange League, if I'm not wrong.

But in the end, I don't think it would likely matter the outcome. Ash winning or not, some peoples are definitely going to be mad because this league is like a joke.

And I keep hearing about the balloons being used to predict the victors of the rounds. What's up with that?

11. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

This post goes into it. Credit goes to lolipiece for noticing the visual in the first place.

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  12. Miky

Miky 米歇尔

I had to read the previous pages, because the post you linked me to seemed a little too vague. I might not have got it, but if a balloon floats out, does it means someone loses/has lost?

If that's what the theory is, why are we even using the balloons?

Oh, and unrelated, but a few episodes ago, there was a close up of some girls cheering on for the competitors. Among them, someone looked like Serena from XY... it sounds like a subtle message to XY fans.

Spider-Phoenix and KenzeyEevee like this.
  13. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Do you know what symbolism is?

14. Miky

Miky 米歇尔

Wouldn't symbolism be something that represents ideas or qualities? So the balloon theory is symbolism?

15. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 ^Probably Steven Universe?

Prerty sure ash has been represented with a blue flame lately (including in this league's vs screen)

16. GarchompChain

GarchompChain Well-Known Member

Are people really thinking these writers are putting symbolism in Pokémon? The writing has always been simple. They don't think ahead.

17. JC317

JC317 Well-Known Member

No no no... You don't get it...

See, the balloons are floating, right? This means they are filled with a gas lighter than air. While somewhat dangerous, people do use hydrogen to fill up balloons.

And guess what color does hydrogen burn in? That's right, it burns with a blue flame!

The balloons were right all along! They have shown us the future!!!
    Ash shall be the champion, as foretold by that red balloon floating away to the sky, filled with a flamable gas that burns with a blue flame!

I was joking by the way, can we please use something else to gauge Ash's chances of victory as the Alola League... At this point, I'll take random YouTube comments over freaking balloons...

18. Ignition

Ignition Champion SZN

I’d laugh if the balloons were foreshadowing Ash winning

19. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: Let's GO home!

There's more clear foreshadowing than something like balloons

20. GarchompChain

GarchompChain Well-Known Member

The balloons aren't foreshadowing at all. Out of curiosity, what do you see as foreshadowing that Ash is winning this?

KenzeyEevee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.