1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

September 8th: SM138 - The Finals! The Ultimate Rival Showdown!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Aug 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I'd happily take some Kanto propaganda for once and have Lance show up to destroy worst professor. Been too long since Dragonite's gotten to kick some ass, Charizards always get to.

2. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Excuse you, Papa Kukui is amazing

3. Shadao

Shadao Champion GETTO DA ZE!

Or we can accept the Alola League as an official League and recognize that Ash didn't need to win Leagues to prove himself to anyone.

I mean it's not like winning the Pokémon League somehow makes you a Pokémon Master.

4. GarchompChain

GarchompChain Well-Known Member

If they come up with some requirements, then I'll consider it a real league.

I mean, at least have the requirement that you can't enter with Magikarp.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  5. Twilight-Kun

Twilight-Kun Pokemon World Champion

Clearing the Grand Trials would be an excellent first step to culling the mess

Maybe not all four, because 151 trainers? The kahuna wouldn't have time to sleep

Zoruagible and KenzeyEevee like this.
  7. Shadao

Funny. The last time I heard "real League" was when people disqualify the Orange League for not being a "real" League despite having a Gym Badge Requirement. Thus it stands to reason that any League based on the actual game Leagues is the "real League" no matter what.

Oh, it seems Gladion is highly dependent on throwing discs to tank Z-Moves. Would be a pity if it doesn't work for the final match.

8. GarchompChain

You must be pretty old then. And no anime league is based on the games. In the games you fight the E4 and the champion.

Besides, at least the Orange league had requirements. As did the Alola league in the games. I don't really understand why it's so hard for you to see the difference.

9. Revolver Furious Dragon

Revolver Furious Dragon Well-Known Member

They couldn't do that. It would be classed as discrimination against magikarp trainers

Kawaii Emolga and GarchompChain like this.
  10. Shadao

I am older than the Pokémon franchise itself, that is for sure. But my point is to highlight a certain myth that "Ash never wins a Pokémon League."

I mean, what is a "real" Pokémon League? Is it based on requirements or based on the game region?

Kawaii Emolga and Spider-Phoenix like this.
  11. GarchompChain

It's something else for everyone. For me it's a league where not just anyone can enter.

12. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

Just have challengers attend trials and only those that complete trials can go on to challenge Grand Trials for the stamp of league approval.

13. pancakemonster

pancakemonster The ultimate duo

Looking back on the past few big Fujisaku battles, we had Ash sending out Pikachu against a ground type, then Rowlet against its fully evolved evolution, both resulting in unconventional tactics that lead to controversial wins for Ash.

To one up himself for the league finals, I predict that this time, Ash will go into the battle with no Pokemon at all, and defeat all of his opponents Pokemon with wrestling moves that he learned the night before (revealed via flashback of course). The refs will be mad but Kukui will be forced to allow it as he never specified a rule against it.

Lightning Bolt and mehmeh1 like this.
  14. Shadao

If we want an conventional tactic for Ash, why not the classic evolution in the middle of a battle? And let's make it a Mythical Pokémon evolution while we're at it (looking at you, Meltan).

Bortgreen likes this.
  15. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

I actually thought this was a preview for the final match and got excited for a moment.

Kawaii Emolga and KenzeyEevee like this.
  16. WaterShuriken

WaterShuriken Well-Known Member

Yeah and I mean each main rival match had match-ups of which one or both trainers were not familiar with each others Pokémon.

6: Ash vs Sawyer (Goodra vs Slurpuff)
    5: Ash vs Stephan (Krookodile vs Liepard)
    4: Ash vs Paul (Gliscor vs Drapion)
    2: Ash vs Gary (Charizard vs Blastoise)

In Gladion's case its Zoroark** (edited) vs Meltan.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  17. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

I don't think the tactics were the problem there. Especially not versus Mudsdale, which is the silliest 'controversy' in Pokemon history.

18. pancakemonster

pancakemonster The ultimate duo

I don't disagree (though I do think using Pikachu there was a shame), but it was controversial nonetheless.

Kawaii Emolga and KenzeyEevee like this.
  19. Lord Starfish

Lord Starfish Fond of owls

You know, I strongly doubt either of those were actually Fujisaku's idea. At least not the Mokuroh VS Ju'niper one. It's not like each episode's scriptwriter is just given a blank page and told "Do whatever", it's more like "Yo Writer, here's the rough outline of what's meant to happen this week. Elaborate."

Spider-Phoenix likes this.
  20. Revolver Furious Dragon

Revolver Furious Dragon Well-Known Member

I highly doubt any capture is going to happen here

KenzeyEevee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.