• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 8th: SM138 - The Finals! The Ultimate Rival Showdown!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth

Litleonid

I don't really see the signs pointing to Ash winning this time, but then again, he is the only one that does have a connection to Masked Royal. We are kinda overdue for that rematch, but knowing the writers, there's a good chance Ash is still gonna lose to Gladion. Its not as bad as losing to Alain, Cameron, and Tobias at least.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
On the other hand, this episode will be airing a day before the 20th anniversary of the airing of "Final Battle! Enter Kairyu!!" (aka "Enter The Dragonite" in English) which was on September 9, 1999 in Japan.

Sharing a similar date with Ash's Orange League victory would only really mean something if the battle ended this ep, and we don't know if it will.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I don't really see the signs pointing to Ash winning this time...

Here's a sign: Ash isn't going to go through that shock and disappointment from Rowlet "losing" again. An audience can only tolerate that kind of catharsis once.
So he either wins, completely avoiding a situation like that again, or he falls back on Kalos League bootlicking which is rather out of character for this version of Ash.

D

Deleted member 384931

I hope the finals wont be rushed
OR it is Kiawe vs Ash
OR it is Gladion vs Ash
I can see both happen tbh, I mean they have been teasing Ash vs Kiawe, with the question if he will battle Kiawe.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I hope the finals wont be rushed
OR it is Kiawe vs Ash
OR it is Gladion vs Ash
I can see both happen tbh, I mean they have been teasing Ash vs Kiawe, with the question if he will battle Kiawe.

Oh it is going to be ash vs gladion, no way is kiawe going to beat ash's main rival, worse thing about kiawe and turtunator he has only have two serious battles in whole series and he will be losing both of them.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
index.php

Would this mean anything at all now?
That never meant anything related to the show's episode count.
"Episode 29: Cut 138". That was what that sign stood for. Nothing foreshadowy, just a reference to, well, itself. They pulled the exact same joke again in episode 96, too.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
All signs point to Ash winning this, but it all depends on if the anime has a rule that says that Ash can't win a Pokemon league.

On the other hand, this episode will be airing a day before the 20th anniversary of the airing of "Final Battle! Enter Kairyu!!" (aka "Enter The Dragonite" in English) which was on September 9, 1999 in Japan.

Could that be a sign of a repeat performance of Ash winning? We'll have to wait and see!

There is no rule of "Ash can't win a Pokémon League."

And this misconception has gotten to the point where the Pokémon anime showrunners had to clarify that becoming a Pokémon Master is more than just winning one Pokémon League.

Xuxuba

Well, he technically already won a League, but nobody considers it a real League, because it wasn't a traditional one. However, the Alolan League is not a traditional one either, so i can see him winning this one too.

Some also don't consider the Orange League a real league because it was filler in the sense that it wasn't present in the games, but i always found that argument flawed because the Pokémon League as we know in the anime doesn't exist in the games either. What exists there is the E4, which is a completely separate thing in the show.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Yeah, I can totally see Ash winning this and declining an offer to help Kukui and the Kahunas run the Alola League a la what he did at the end of Battle Frontier... especially if this is when Melmetal makes an appearance. I can't imagine what the blowback would be like if Ash got Melmetal and still lost. By that same token, I'm still going to predict that Gladion gives Silvally the Normalium Z because if he uses RKS System in this battle I'm sure people will call BS. :V

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Well they did make that rule once. One of the writers literally said that. It's on them that they had to withdraw that statement.

In gigantic bold letters, because this is getting incredibly tiresome.

HIDAKA ONCE SAID, JOKINGLY, THAT SATOSHI BECOMING A POKEMON MASTER WOULD SURELY MEAN THE SHOW WOULD HAVE TO END! HE NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT WINNING LEAGUES! NOBODY HAS EVER WITHDRAWN ANY STATEMENTS, AND THE SHOW HAS STATED MANY MANY MANY TIMES THAT WINNING A LEAGUE DOES NOT MAKE YOU A POKEMON MASTER! IT'S NOT ON THEM THAT CERTAIN FANS ARE SEEMINLY INCAPABLE OF REGISTERING THIS BIT OF INFORMATION, AND IT'S DEFINITELY NOT ON THEM THAT THOSE SAME FANS KEEP MISQUOTING THEM, CLAIMING THEY SAID THINGS THEY NEVER DID!

In gigantic bold letters, because this is getting incredibly tiresome.

HIDAKA ONCE SAID, JOKINGLY, THAT SATOSHI BECOMING A POKEMON MASTER WOULD SURELY MEAN THE SHOW WOULD HAVE TO END! HE NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT WINNING LEAGUES! NOBODY HAS EVER WITHDRAWN ANY STATEMENTS, AND THE SHOW HAS STATED MANY MANY MANY TIMES THAT WINNING A LEAGUE DOES NOT MAKE YOU A POKEMON MASTER! IT'S NOT ON THEM THAT CERTAIN FANS ARE SEEMINLY INCAPABLE OF REGISTERING THIS BIT OF INFORMATION, AND IT'S DEFINITELY NOT ON THEM THAT THOSE SAME FANS KEEP MISQUOTING THEM, CLAIMING THEY SAID THINGS THEY NEVER DID!
I'm sorry, what?

"They" never made a rule like that. No writer has ever literally said that. They've never withdrawn any such statement, as no such statement has ever been made.

Is that clear enough?
Well, at least winning a league is a step towards becoming a master. They don't want him to get too close.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Kanto had one really good, exciting battle - Ash v. Mandi. The other shown 3v3 against Jeanette had Ash's Pokemon whooped by a Bellsprout, who got sat on by Muk. That's almost a gag defeat.

Unova had one good battle against Stephan, and two awful ones against Trip and Cameron. Pikachu v. Serperior is worse than Rowlet v. Decidueye. Fight me.

Given this, and that Ash will go 5 rounds in Alola versus three in Kanto/Unova, I can't take anyone claims that this is the "worst" league seriously.

It's definitely not the best, but it's also not over, and I hope the best is for last.
Lol no,Pikachu vs Serperior fight both showed both Pokemon to be strong AND formidable, but Pikachu won because of strategy. Rowlet vs Decidueye fight showed that Rowlet is miles ahead of Decidueye, which makes no sense. After that collision Decidueye looked like he was about to faint, while Rowlet is sleeping like nothing happened. Sorry but you're wrong. P v S > R v D.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Well, at least winning a league is a step towards becoming a master. They don't want him to get too close.

They never said that either. It was literally:
Q: Hey, will Satoshi become a Pokemon Master soon?
A: *laughs* Of course not. The show would have to end if he did, wouldn't it?

It was a partially mocking answer to a question he clearly found rather dumb, not some sort of serious statement. He wasn't saying "we've established a rule that Satoshi is never going to win a regional league", he was saying "Dude, what kind of question is that? No, the guy whose best showing thus far is reaching the quarterfinals in a couple regional leagues, and who is constantly getting lessons from adult experts who are clearly way above his level, is obviously not going to become undisputed world champion any time soon. Do you even realize what you're asking?"

Status
Not open for further replies.