• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 9th: PM2019 124 - The Semifinals III: Valor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I didn’t agree with them about Cynthia vs Iris. I just agreed with them on the notion that in recent memory I see more people complaining about Cynthia than her annoying fans (not that they don’t exist as you can tel in this very thread). I don’t think Cynthia fans are being targeted as some misunderstood niche fanbase.

Again I just don’t like when people legitimately let those fans influence their opinions on her. Her fanbase will be fine after their match and I don’t think the complaints about it will be nearly as bad as people think it will be. But yes if someone is hyping up Cynthia while trashing on other characters, then they should be prepared for the same towards her. You’re obviously not letting those people genuinely impact your thoughts on Cynthia. I’m saying that for those who have because they do exist just like they exist for other characters like Iris because people love being contrarian. Just as your statement isn’t a general statement to her fans, mine isn’t to all people who criticize her.
Yes. And it’s annoying the because most her “love” is under the guise of tearing other characters down. Imagine tearing down Iris because you want to protect your faves “reputation” and then claiming Cynthia needs a Zekrom to push her.

As much as I don’t really care for Leon, imagine throwning a fit that she isn’t number one and claiming any battle outside of Galar Cynthia would dominate him.

Love your favorite Champion but majority of it comes from tearing other characters down and I don’t even do that with my favorite Champion. I didn’t mean to say you agreed with everything but those are the simps I’m discussing. You can’t praise your fave without tearing down other characters? The misery.

I do get your point thought and I’m glad you explained further what you meant (as I tried to). It’s just as the leading person of the “Cynthia hate train”, I’m tired of the needing to tear down other characters to “protect” your faves reputation like this isn’t a TV show.

I get your point though and there are some people who just hate her just because. I think the majority is just tired of her but obviously I don’t view it from the leans of a fan so I could be incorrect

Pepito Chillito

Her moment to finally have the first on-screen L in her career.

/s
She is still a cut above all of the other champions not named Leon and Ash and the best female. Even if she is the 3rd best trainer at this tournament, she is still the queen of the PWC and that won't change.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
I don't hate Cynthia, I just find her lacking in personality. Also her simp squadfanbase has a tendency to be horribly insufferable. I've seen people throw temper tantrums at the mere suggestion that she *gasp* loses a battle once in her 15-year run on the show. Oh, the shame! Oh, the injustice of it all!

Imagine not finding the moe in seeing Shirona lose, too. Weaklings.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
Imagine not finding the moe in seeing Shirona lose, too. Weaklings.
I, for one, cannot wait to see proud mommy Shirona at seeing Ash rise to the point of giving her the battle of her life and even managing to defeat her.
We already saw a glimpse of her acting like that when she saw Ash beat Steven and, funnily enough, during her battle with Iris.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Ash defeating Cynthia is the right move.

The issue I have is that it's being done with no significant buildup within the confines of Journeys itself. It's an odd case here where the big man on campus in this arc is the one with the major arc focus, while the other strong trainer to be beaten comes at the end. It'd be like if Ash met Vergil or Cameron in Nuvema, and only caught up with Trip here and there near the runup to the Vertress Conference.

Sham

The Guardian of War
FXtg9-6VsAEdpcd

FXtg9_CUsAIPbNS

FXtg9-6UsAEMcgM

FV3JyBTaAAAB1qX

Yeah Ash has no business losing here especially with a gimmick. Haxorus matching Mega Garchomp’s power gives him no excuse.

Mega Lucario better give the fight of his life

Anything otherwise just proves he’s out of place and should have used reserves

Yce288

Grass type FTW
She's Cynthia, the nigh-unbeatable goddess, and she's going to lose to this guy

Literally Ash Ketchum. They've done a good job of making it believable but he'll still always be that same old Ashy boy with 1 brain cell. Any loss to him when you're Cynthia is humiliating, and I am so here for it.

(To be clear I don't hate Cynthia, but she was never not an annoying boss fight and seeing her lose in glorious high definition is just *chef's kiss*)
The rap battle between Yami Bakura and Yuo was really good IMHO.

Sceptilee

Cannot believe people are actually bitter Lucario is the likely lead here and not Infernape. Any rivalry that Garchomp and Infernape have is inconsequential. People are still just SOMEHOW mad that Ash has a Lucario at all.
For me, it's just the fact that we literally saw Lucario hatch this season and now it's possibly going to defeat the strongest Pokémon owned by a trainer after Leon's Charizard. I get that the aura accelerated it's development but it's different with the other mons he caught this season who were strong out of the gate, like Dragonite or Dracovish.

It would have been better if it was a strong wild Riolu who refused to be caught by any trainer until it acknowledged Ash's aura instead of a literal baby. Ultimately, all of this feels like they're forcing Lucario hard on us, which they are, so it's no surprise that people don't take this well. Compare this to past Aces who had their highs and lows and grew stronger across multiple seasons. Neither of Charizard or Sceptile could have defeated Articuno/Darkrai back in their own seasons, they grew even stronger over time without Ash.

Additionally, I still feel that Lucario vs Duraladon was one of the worst battles I've seen. I'm fine with Lucario winning but the way that came about just doesn't sit right with me. People may have their opinions on this, with Lucario doing the Aura training etc, but to disrespect a Champion or almost Champion level Ace, by a base form no less, was just bad writing and an unreasonable power-up.

The Pokémon anime is a marketing tool first and foremost so none of this should surprise us. Lucario is obviously one of the most popular Pokémon and the anime team was probably given orders to push it as much as possible. But that doesn't mean that those watching should not voice their dislike for certain things, they are certainly justified as long as it's not something arbitrary. At the same time, everyone should also respect the opinions of those who like Lucario or it's development this season, even if they disagree.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
Additionally, I still feel that Lucario vs Duraladon was one of the worst battles I've seen. I'm fine with Lucario winning but the way that came about just doesn't sit right with me. People may have their opinions on this, with Lucario doing the Aura training etc, but to disrespect a Champion or almost Champion level Ace, by a base form no less, was just bad writing and an unreasonable power-up.
You do know that Duraladon is a steel type Pokemon and therefore its weak to fighting type moves?
when the anime staff actually does something that is actually accurate according to the games, people still complain.

Last edited:

Sceptilee

You do know that Duraladon is a steel type Pokemon and therefore its weak to fighting type moves?
when the anime staff actually does something that is actually accurate according to the games, people still complain.
I am aware, yes. I also know that G-max doubles the health of the mon and it's not just any mon, it's the Ace of a trainer said to be equal to a regional Champion.

I don't really follow the accurate to the games part because the giant Aura Sphere is about as far from the games as you would get lol. And if we're talking type advantage, Cynthia's Garchomp should pretty much die to any ice attack then? And Leon's Charizard to a rock type move, so how is it still undefeated?

I'm all for type advantage being important again in the anime. I had no complaints about Lance’s Hydreigon being one-shot by Gardevoir because that's realistic. But that's a 4x weakness, by a Mega Pokemon and Champion Ace against a non-gimmick, non-Ace Pokemon. Pokemon in the anime are generally shown to be more durable than the games unless there's a significant level advantage or power difference. Maybe if it were Mega Lucario vs Gmax Duraladon, that would be more believable (considering it gets the adaptability boost and all). Or Base Lucario vs Base Duraladon (it's special defence is rather poor), but even those would be a stretch because I would not expect a Champion Ace to go down like that even in base form, considering Champion Ace's are shown to be quite a bit stronger than their other mons.

Sorry if I was rude anywhere, we've had this conversation before and we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm open to hearing points in it's favour from your side but unfortunately type advantage alone just doesn't do it for me.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
FXtg9-6VsAEdpcd

FXtg9_CUsAIPbNS

FXtg9-6UsAEMcgM

FV3JyBTaAAAB1qX

Yeah Ash has no business losing here especially with a gimmick. Haxorus matching Mega Garchomp’s power gives him no excuse.

Mega Lucario better give the fight of his life

Anything otherwise just proves he’s out of place and should have used reserves

I can't help but wonder, we all know mega chomp sacrifices speed for power, you think Ash might take advantage of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.