• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

September 9th: PM2019 124 - The Semifinals III: Valor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not a matter of Pikach’s Thunderbolt being weak or that Pikachu was aiming aimlessly but instead it was a matter that Mega Metagross’s increase speed and incredibly high ability to predict accurately was what allowed it to dodge Pikachu’s Thunderbolts.

So, no Pikachu was trying to aim at Mega Metagross but it’s opponent moving around and reacting to quickly. As for the argument that Pikachu could just use one of its other moves to corner Mega Metagross and into a corner, considering the fact that Mega Metagross was able to easily dodge Pikachu’s Iron Tail and then almost immediately launch a counter attack there is literally no reason to think that the same wouldn’t be true for Pikachu’s other moves.

Heck considering that we know that some of the Masters 8 have been watching some of Ash’s PWC matches that were televised it’s incredibly likely that Steven did watch some of them meaning he was already aware of Pikachu’s move set and was even able to confirm that it’s move set hadn’t change through its battle with his Cradilily.

The reasons why Ash’s Pikachu was able to beat Steven’s Mega Metagross was because Dracovish had significantly damage Mega Metagross back before it Mega Evolved and then Pikachu being able to control the different colored Thunderbolts from its signature Z-move individually to catch Mega Metagross off guard to do more damage to it and stun it allowing it to finish it off with Iron Tail is what allowed it to win.

It’s entirely possible that Mega Metagross wouldn’t have fainted from that final Iron Tail had Dracovish not damaged it earlier.

So while you may not like how the battle turned out or was handled, the battle still made sense.
Then Ash won thanks to his great ingenuity, if Steven had known that Pikachu can control their thunderbolt, he would have simply dodged them all.

So Ash's victory was fully deserved.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
I think because they imply during the first half that Ash is doing poorly, it gives me the vibe that one of the two main aces gets taken out early along with another pokemon (this would clearly be Pikachu since Lucario seems set up to be the star). This gives me Ash vs Paul vibes all over again, except maybe the Drapion of the battle is instead like 1 or 2 of Cynthia's pokemon dominating until Lucario and one other pokemon help Ash make a combat.

Predicting Lucario gets 3 wins this battle, with 3 other pokemon getting one win each. I think since Pikachu and Gengar got wins against Steven that this will result that Pikachu will tie with a pokemon that has an automatic KO if it goes down type of move (Destiny Bond), Gengar will be the fall guy, then I think either Sir'Fetched or Dracovish will be the 2nd fall guy.

This leaves Lucario to get 3 wins, Dragonite to get 1, SirFetch'd or Dracovish to get 1, and Pikachu to tie.
Reasonable prediction. I hope this will be a little less one sided than VS Paul in the Sinnoh League (where drapion and electivire did the bulk of the job), but, the summary implies Ash could lose at least three pokemon (with pikachu and, apparently, dracovish as confirmed fall guys) before make a come back.
I'd like pikachu get a tie, so he can go down on a good note, but, thinking about Ash have a half of his team to go against five other pokemon is really bothersome.
But, let's hope this battle will be as good as the hype make it look.

Broseph08

I don't mind the concept of the ending of the Steven match that much since it was Mega Metagross that Pikachu was getting worked up by. Once Ash used his own gimmick against Steven's, he was able to overpower him. That said, it shouldn't have taken two hits to win lol. Ideally Pikachu would have been whooping Metagross -> Metagross mega evolves and starts beating on Pikachu -> Ash uses z-move to take the lead again and then finishes it off

Looking at Ash’s gym battles in Sinnoh (only that he won)
Vs Roark- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Gardenia- Cherubi severely damages Turtwig for Ash to recall it, but Ash gets the first KO
Vs Maylene- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Wake- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Fantina- Ash struggles but gets the first KO
Vs Byron- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Candice- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Volkner- Volkner gets the first KO with a 4x super effective move but after that Pikachu defeats Electivire Torterra :(
Take notes JN

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Looking at Ash’s gym battles in Sinnoh (only that he won)
Vs Roark- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Gardenia- Cherubi severely damages Turtwig for Ash to recall it, but Ash gets the first KO
Vs Maylene- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Wake- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Fantina- Ash struggles but gets the first KO
Vs Byron- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Candice- Ash gets the first KO
Vs Volkner- Volkner gets the first KO with a 4x super effective move but after that Pikachu defeats Electivire Torterra :(
Take notes JN

Sadly Best Wishes has a decent track record too & Ash was made to look incompetent.

VS Chili/Cress/Cilan - Tepig KO’s Pansear

VS Lenora - Oshawott ties against Watchog

VS Burgh - Tepig is KO’d by Dwebble with Sewaddle getting a win against Dwebble & Whirlipede(as Swadloon),

VS Elesa - Palpitoad defeats Zebstrika but her Emolga takes down both Palpitoad & Snivy.

VS Clay - Oshawott defeats Krokorok.

VS Skyla - Krokorok is defeated by Swoobat

VS Brycen - Scraggy defeats Vanillish

VS Roxie - (6 vs 3) - Boldore & Unfezant are defeated with Leavanny taking a win. Leavanny defeated by Scolipede but is taken down by Pignite. Garbodor defeats Pignite & Palpitoad but is defeated by Pikachu.

VS Stephan(League), Krookodile gets first win & Palpitoad ties with Zebstrika, so Stephan never got the lead.

XY i believe had a more similar pattern to DP, not listing it, I only wanted to showcase Best Wishes, since its not one of my favorite series but it still had a decent battle structure that didn’t make Ash lose the lead at the start of a battle most of the time.

wellwellwells

Why did they show that screenshot of the scoreboard spoiling half of the battle resultS??? LMAO

Dragonite, Gengar and Pikachu go down taking out only Spiritomb and Gastrodon.

Rohanator

I guess the whole premise of the battle is that Satoshi struggles massively at the start so him losing multiple strong Mons early isn't much of a spoiler if you read the summaries, both magazines and trailers are simply promoting the same idea.

Anyway funny to see Kanto get blown away, I did think Pikachu and Gengar can afford to go early, sad for Dragonite hope he takes out the Gastrodon at least and shines VS Dande, but I'm really excited to see Sirfetch'd and Dracovish be forced to carry alongside Lucario, usually they faint early but this time they get to be part of the comeback portion.

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
I'm ready for that Lucario sweep.
Unless the first three deal critical damage to Roserade and Togekiss as well in addition to taking out the other two, portrayed well both in written and visual presentation sections, this battle is going to scream negative.

Garbodor.

Can't wait for that mega lucario vs mega garchomp. After all these fillers and breaks I hope the writers do a good job for this battle.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
a3mN30F_d.webp

Jobbernite is back.
Pikachu taken down too early.
Was a smart choice by the writers.

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
a3mN30F_d.webp

Jobbernite is back.
Pikachu taken down too early.
Was a smart choice by the writers.
Pikachu and Gengar just won it fine, but Dragonites just getting beaten left and right easly in this tournament is ridiculous.

At least the Duck will get something, and the abomination, I doubt Lucario beats 4 Pokemon, Lucario shouldn't even be beating Garchomp, but i guess its going to be Mega vs Mega, win or loss.

If he wins here, against Leon its going to be G-max Pikachu vs G-Max Charizard.

nuzamaki90

If you watch the preview Pikachu and Spiritomb KO each other even though it initially looks like Pikachu is struggling against Togekiss.

Poor Dragonite becoming the punching bag of the team. I hope it at least took down Gastrodon since they replaced Kommo-o for some reason.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Interestingly, she took down early two of Ash’s three gimmick ‘mons. Dragonite looks like a free knock out.
Yeah.
Seems to me like it might be part of her plan. It really helped her having watched Ash vs Steven.
It's confirmed it will come down to Mega Lucario vs Mega Garchomp.

Looks like the leaks were wrong thank god but Ash still will struggle
Battle Prediction time:
Spiritomb vs Dragonite: Spiritomb wins
Roserade vs Gengar:
Gastrodon vs Gengar: Gengar wins
Togekiss vs Gengar: Togekiss wins
Togekiss vs Pikachu:
Spiritomb vs Pikachu: Draw
Roserade vs Dracovish: Roserade wins
Roserade vs Sirfetch’d: Sirfetch’d wins
Milotic vs Sirfetch’d: Draw
Togekiss vs Lucario: Lucario wins