• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii CCAT2

Eaglehawk

Banned
Rotom-1 nuff not sayzd

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
i dont think you guys get what contrail's scarf rotom is intended to do. IIRC it has zero investment in speed. its supposed to be bulky, and lure in counters to both rotom and landorus, and cripple them with trick. Look at the evs, those are not revenge killing evs. i think you and eaglehawk just saw rotom-w @Choice scarf and assumed from there.

@cosmic potato, you cant just classify contrail's set as scarf rotom, as it will lead everyone to assume the wrong set. js

True, the set works well against stally/balanced teams, but the 'normal' scarf set fares better against offensive/Hyperoffensive teams. Anyway, both sets are great, I'll just vote for Rotom-1.

I always just called it "Fat Scarf Rotom-W," but at any rate, Rotom-1. I'd post a few lines as to why, but I think it's been covered well enough.

Last edited:

Rising Star

Certified Boss
Hey guys, I'm new here on serebii forums and I'm glad I found this thread. I've never been too good at team building by myself, so this should be a good learning experience. Aaaand I hope its not too late to join this... lol.
I've also been in the competitive community for a little over 3 years now, so I consider myself to be moderately experienced. But anyway, I'm going to place my vote for Rotom - 1
Although I have to say, pain split is a lot more useful than signal beam on scarftom imo.

mr_brightside

Guitarist
My vote goes to Rotom-1

Cosmic Potato

Sexy Trainer
blahblahblah contrail wins again pokemon 3 time.

And yes I am going to topple contrail from his throne this time.

OP edited, read it to find out how!

Last edited:

Klaus™

Banned
well, if the next nomination is open...

407.gif

Roserade @Black Sludge
- Natural Cure -
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
252 hp/ 120 def/ 136 SpD
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Rest
- Stun Spore/ Hidden Power Fire

Right now im in the prescence of testing a rain team, with roserade as a spikes setter. And it is doing a wonderful job at it. Being an offensive playstyle such as we have with Lando-t, spikes are of great help. It helps wear down the opponent, so you dont end up having to decide between a swords dance boost or a rock polish boost at desperate times. Anyway, Spikes are probably the main point of this set, and with a modest base 90 speed, roserade can get them off fairly fast. Giga drain is a decent STAB move, and also lets us 2hko rotom-w, iirc. right now, rotom, lati@s, celebi, and ferrothorn are our biggest defensive threats, imo. roserade takes care of celebi or ferrothorn when rotom-w cant trick it (watch out for gyro ball though), and both make easy set up bait. if celebi tries to baton pass out with a NP boost, you can stun spore the switch in, potentially crippling it. heck, this goes for any switch out. Rest is easy recovery, and in conjunction with natural cure and a poison typing, makes roserade a great status absorber. We dont want landorus or rotom caught by stray burns and toxics. Roserade is also a great switchin to the feared scarfkeldeo. resisting both of keldeo's STAB attacks, it can force a switch or go for giga drain KO. IIRC, special lando shouldnt be a problem either. All in all, i think it would make a great addition to the team.

Last edited:

Cosmic Potato

Sexy Trainer
well, if the next nomination is open...

407.gif

Roserade @Black Sludge
- Natural Cure -
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
252 hp/ 120 def/ 136 SpD
- Giga Drain
- Spikes
- Rest
- Stun Spore/ Hidden Power Fire

Right now im in the prescence of testing a rain team, with roserade as a spikes setter. And it is doing a wonderful job at it. Being an offensive playstyle such as we have with Lando-t, spikes are of great help. It helps wear down the opponent, so you dont end up having to decide between a swords dance boost or a rock polish boost at desperate times. Anyway, Spikes are probably the main point of this set, and with a modest base 90 speed, roserade can get them off fairly fast. Giga drain is a decent STAB move, and also lets us 2hko rotom-w, iirc. right now, rotom, lati@s, celebi, and ferrothorn are our biggest defensive threats, imo. roserade takes care of celebi or ferrothorn when rotom-w cant trick it (watch out for gyro ball though), and both make easy set up bait. if celebi tries to baton pass out with a NP boost, you can stun spore the switch in, potentially crippling it. heck, this goes for any switch out. Rest is easy recovery, and in conjunction with natural cure and a poison typing, makes roserade a great status absorber. We dont want landorus or rotom caught by stray burns and toxics. Roserade is also a great switchin to the feared scarfkeldeo. resisting both of keldeo's STAB attacks, it can force a switch or go for giga drain KO. IIRC, special lando shouldnt be a problem either. All in all, i think it would make a great addition to the team.

yeah all defensive threats you listed beat this set lol. I agree a spiker would be good, but this set doesn't seem to add much.

Skarm™

Light It Up
620.gif

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Regenerator
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA 252 Spe
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Why should said Pokemon be used?
Scarf Mienshao is a very underrated Pokemon in OU, despite it's natural tier being UU. Personally, I prefer Mienshao over Terrakion because of it's overall better coverage moves and ability to stay longer on the field. U-turn + Regenerator is a great combo that can heal off SR damage taken from switching in, and can heal hits that it can't take very well, due to it's poor 65 / 60 / 60 defenses. Some threats to the team so far (Landy-T and Rotom-W) are Scarf Abomasnow (which is the second most common set after EB), Starmie, and Agility Thundy-T, especially that last one. Mienshao can handle all three respectively (HJK Obama, U-turn Starmie, Stone Edge Thundy-T [HP Ice only does around 40%] and stuff). Mienshao also forces a lot of switches, which Landy-T likes because it needs to set up, as well as Rotom-W because the opponent could send in Jellicent and boom U-turn into Rotom-W and Trick it into getting a Choice Scarf. I chose Hasty nature over Naive because Mienshao is more likely to get hit by a Psyshock or Hurricane or Air Slash or something than a special hit. Anyways, I think Mienshao would be a great offensive addition to this team.

Hopefully I also answered most of the questions in the OP, because the item and EV set are pretty much self-explanatory.​

Last edited:

Klaus™

Banned
lol? how does rotom-w beat this set? celebi? ferrothorn?

scarf rotom-w's hp ice does 30-40% iirc not allowing giga drain.

celebi does **** with giga drain/ nasty plot/ baton pass/ thunder wave

and ferrothorn only beats it with gyro ball. still, if we go hp fire it still does a good amount to it, though iirc its not a ohko.

and rose also gives us a much more solid switchin to keldeo. rotom-w can only take so much rain boosted hydro pumps and or secret swords...

Liltwick

Just your Sleepy FIzzy Mod
It's time to make my appearance here, nominating a Pokemon we all know we'd eventually see: Ferrothorn

598.gif

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)
252 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

I'd like to present my favorite wall in Ubers, the Arceus Killer. I've killed so many Arceus with just this one set, mostly Extreme Killer, and while it's more gimmicky in OU, in the right hands the Ferrothorn is deadly. Ferrothorn adds to the team two things it will desperately need, Paralysis support and hazards. Even after a Rock Polish, threats like ScarfKeldeo and ScarfLatis still are able to outspeed Landy, and in Keldeo's case OHKO (And Latios, if Modest). Paralysis also helps against set-up sweepers such as D-Nite, can give Jira a taste of it's own medicine, and help Rotom outspeed threats oce it's Tricked it's scarf. Stealth Rock is a move that has revolutionized the meta game ever since it's release in Gen 4. Having a team with out rocks is possible, but hard to take out some threats such as Multi Scale D-Nite. Also, Ferrothorn is an excellent defensive pivot and lure, mainly for Heatran which bothy Landy and Rotom can easily handle, and is lso a great counter to rain, well when the Machine is out. Rocky Ferro also stops dragons cold. Outraging against this things isn't a wise idea, as the poke will lose at least roughly 30% per turn, and factoring in LO make it even worse. Leech Seed is a really annoying move, and is great at wasting away at BP teams who are foolish enough to set up with out a sub. While Leftovers seems to now adays to be Ferro's prefered option, Rocky Helmet is still the best item IMO on Ferro. It basically becomes the epitome of a Physical wall, making almost every physical move a chance to lose a ton of damage. It also paris up well with Landy, who's intimidate makes Ferro's defenses even stronger. While it does lose constant recovery, leech seed mroe than makes up for it. It's EVs are set up to make it a faster physical wall, especially after a T-Wave. The usual approach is to T-Wave, set up seeds and/or rocks, and then smash away at Power Whip, which is an especially strong move that makes Espeon think twice about switching in. To end it off, Ferro is immune to toxic, a move that can stop almost any offensive team cold with out Heal Bell support.Whiel Ferro does have some obvious conters, it synergyies well with both Machine and Landy, and is an excelletn defensive pivot, supporter, and wall that would be a good addition to the team So anyways sorry for the text wall

Rising Star

Certified Boss
212.gif

Scizor (M) @ Occa Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Roost

What do you feel this pokemon adds to the team?

It synergizes well with the selected pokemon thus far (lando-t and rotom-w). Scizor's main counters are already covered by these two pokes. Examples include:
-Heatran: taken care of by rotom-w and demolished by landorus-t
-Magnezone: easily crushed by landorus and threatened by rotom-w
-Jellicent: easily crippled by rotom-w
-Gyarados: picked off by rotom-w
-etc.
...And in addition scizor takes care of certain threats that the latter two hate; namely celebi, latios/latias, mamoswine, etc.
It also adds much needed priority to cripple annoyances like gengar and zam.
It can also take toxics and doesnt really mind paralysis.

What do you feel the item does?
I was (and still am) debating CB, however, that seems to be far too common nowadays that it's become too predictable. Occa berry is an uncommon item that can be used to obtain an unexpected +2 or even +4 to weaken or sweep the opposing team. steel plate, life orb, lefties are all obvious alternatives

What do you feel the EV spread achieves?
I originally had a more offensive set with 4hp / 252 atk / 252 spD but I just decided to go with Smogon's set because I figured maximizing bulk would be more beneficial because it opens up more opportunities for scizor to get off a roost. As a testament to it's bulk, with the given EV spread, it can live hp fire from a specs latios and set up and SD for the kill.
[252 SpAtk Choice Specs Latios Hidden Power Fire vs 252 HP/216 SpDef Occa Berry Scizor: 62.79% - 74.42% 2 hits to KO]

What does the specific moveset do?
What scizor does best. Set up and sweep.

I've been seriously debating a CB set for the immediate power boost. Wasting a turn to set up can sometimes lead to scizor's downfall, plus CB sets pack u-turn, which can be used in conjunction with rotom-w to complete the infamous VoltTurn combo. Also, a CB set would allow for immediate removal of mamo's and terrakions. However, I think the ability to switch up moves is more useful, and the surprise factor from occa could potentially be more threatening if you keep scizor healthy. Don't be turned off by the fact that scizor is so common and overused, it poses a large threat to every team and has near perfect offensive and defensive synergy with rotom-w and landorus-t, it fits perfectly. Let me know what you guys think.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
CB Scizor would seem like the logical choice here. I mean, since we obviously are already going to use Rotom-W, we may as well have its notorious partner, Scizor. Scizor also possess great synergy with both of the already selected Pokémon. Scizor will also provide the team with a source of powerful priority. I agree with Rising Star's suggestion of Scizor being a nominee.

Cosmic Potato

Sexy Trainer
lol? how does rotom-w beat this set? celebi? ferrothorn?

scarf rotom-w's hp ice does 30-40% iirc not allowing giga drain.

celebi does **** with giga drain/ nasty plot/ baton pass/ thunder wave

and ferrothorn only beats it with gyro ball. still, if we go hp fire it still does a good amount to it, though iirc its not a ohko.

and rose also gives us a much more solid switchin to keldeo. rotom-w can only take so much rain boosted hydro pumps and or secret swords...
all but rotom. Can't switch in to keldeo at all, ferro rapes with gyro ball, HP fire 3HKO. Psychic celebi who runs giga drian lol noob.