• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii, Coronis & PK's DP Discovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Righto, most of you should have heard about the GBA slot activation thing with 3rd gen cartridges now. I'll just try to elaborate a little further. Apparently, when you have a GBA cartridge (Pokemon of course) in the DS slot at the time you play your D/P game, the GBA will unlock certain normally unavailable wild pokemons in the game. There seems to be more than one each game unlocks, but since these pokemons do NOT have their locations shown in the Pokedex, it's hard to know what pokemons are unlocked, and where exactly they are.

But two important ones, Elekid and Magby, have been identified, which are crucial to evolve Electrabuzz and Magmar, since the evo items are only found as held items are these wild babies (no, trading an Elekid or Magby thru Pal Park will NOT give you these items, they must be wild).

So, a FR game triggers wild Elekids to appear in front of the Power Plant, while a LF game triggers wild Magbys to appear in the Hard Mountain. You snag their items, and voila, you can evolve your Electrabuzz and Magmar. Elekids and Magbys are rare though, and the chance of them holding the items are not high either. I was lucky to get my first Elekid to have the ElectroBooster, but took me 21 Magbys to get the MagmaBooster.

Elekible: trade Electrabuzz with ElectroBooster
Dex_Elekible.jpg

Booburn: trade Magmar with MagmaBooster
Dex_Booburn.jpg

So, ALL new evolution methods have been discovered for our old friends. Case close for the evolution department.

Another mystery that surrounds D/P is what happens to Deoxys. Well, like many have predicted, depending on the version you transfer your Deoxys from, it will be in that particular form (RS - normal, FR - attack, LG - defense, E - speed). However, at Tobari City (3rd gym), there are 4 meteorites on the ground. When you bring your Deoxys there and talk to these meteorites, they will change Deoxys's forms. So you only need to transfer ONE Deoxys from any cartridge to access all its 4 forms. The meteorites can be used over and over again, so play around with it.

Meteorites:
Meteorites.jpg

Top - Speed, Middle - Normal, Bottom left - Attack, Bottom right - Defense

All 4 forms show up in the Pokedex as alternate forms of Deoxys:
DeoxysN.jpg

DeoxysA.jpg

DeoxysD.jpg

DeoxysS.jpg

Another mystery solved. Well, technically most mysteries have been solved now, since Serebii has written about Minomucchi here earlier already.

Coronis~

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Ok... so second photobucket account exploded too. Now to Coronis3.

A bit more discoveries. The method to catch the elusive ghost/dark pokemon Mikaruge has been tested and verified.

Dex_Mikaruge.jpg

Towards the south of Zui Town, bottom of the Lost Tower, there is a stone well which is said to be the remains of the Spirit Tower. On Route 210, you should have received an item called Crucial Stone, which you can drop into the well.

Now comes the tricky part, when you go underground digging, you will come across other players within the coverage of the DS Wireless. Everytime you talk to someone, your trainer card will keep track (the hikers which sell you items don't count). Once you've talked to 32 people (or it maybe 30, I'm not sure), go back to the stone well, and Mikaruge will appear. I'm not sure if this is a one off, becoz apparently you can dig up more Crucial Stones in the underground.

This is prove to be hard for people who don't have friends around to Wireless with, coz WiFi does not support this function. But the good news is you don't have to talk to 32 different people. You have simply seek help from one friend, and go in, go out, go in, go out repeatedly until you've talked 32 times. Ya, kinda frustrating, but that's how Gamefreak designed this creature.

And for Aruseus, I've managed to got hold of a hacked Arseus and tested its Multi-Type ability with the 16 plates. This ability changes Arseus type and colour depending on the element of the plate it holds. The following are its different forms:

Normal: original form
Alseus_normal.jpg

Fire: holding the Fire Orb Plate
Alseus_fire.jpg

Water: holding the Water Drop Plate
Alseus_water.jpg

Electric: holding the Thunder Plate
Alseus_electric.jpg

Grass: holding the Green Plate
Alseus_grass.jpg

Ice: holding the Icicle Plate
Alseus_ice.jpg

Fighting: holding the Fist Plate
Alseus_fighting.jpg

Poison: holding the Poison Ooze Plate
Alseus_poison.jpg

Ground: holding the Great Land Plate
Alseus_ground.jpg

Flying: holding the Blue Sky Plate
Alseus_flying.jpg

Psychic: holding the Mysterious Plate
Alseus_psychic.jpg

Bug: holding the Larva Plate
Alseus_bug.jpg

Rock: holding the Boulder Plate
Alseus_rock.jpg

Ghost: holding the Spirit Plate
Alseus_ghost.jpg

Dragon: holding the Dragon Plate
Alseus_dragon.jpg

Dark: holding the Long Face Plate
Alseus_dark.jpg

Steel: holding the Iron Plate
Alseus_steel.jpg

All 16 plates have a definite location in game, and can also be found digging. Those found on the definite locations spell out a myth when you find them, but I haven't put the story together yet. Rest assured it deals with Arseus, its relationship to Dialga, Palkia, and the three psychic floaters.

Coronis~

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Ok, some further elaborations on the Pal Park. You must transfer 6 pokemon each time, no less, and they must all be in the Box. So if your GBA cart has less than 6 pokemons in the box, you can't transfer. Pokemons who know HMs cannot be transferred as well, so you must make them forget the move in GBA before you can transfer them. The good news is you don't really require any criteria in the GBA games. You can transfer right away after you obtain the Pokedex from Prof. Oak.

This brings to another point in D/P. It seems like you do not need the National Dex to be able to trade non-Shinou pokemons. These pokemons will not show up in your Shinou dex of course, but will when you get the national dex. You can still use them though, but their Pokedex numbers in their stat screen will appear as ??? until you get the National Dex.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet, but eggs hatch at level 1 now.

And, from the little of what I've decoded from the plates, we know several things:
1) Dialga and Palkia are entities cloned and separated from Arseus, think alter-ego or something along that line
2) Arseus created the psychic trio Emrit, Agnome and Yuxie in ties with time and space
3) With the items of Dialga and Palkia, as well as the hearts of the trio, the world was created

Coronis~

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Just from Coronis; it seems someone in japan has found that Aruseus IS obtainable in game

You just have to complete the National Dex and Professor Oak gives you an item to activate the rock at the end of Route 224. Aruseus will appear

We'll keep you aprised, we don't know how authentic this is

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Hope you guys enjoyed the attack names and info I worked on last night. Anyway, borrowed an English cartridge of a friend today, and as expected, it wouldn't work with D/P. So, you can't transfer pokemons from a different languaged GBA cartridge to the NDS games.

Off topic a little while, stumbled across an interesting stone name in a book today called Girasol, which is also called the Fire Opal. See, many have been debating on what gem will grace the title of a possible D/P third game followup, and most believe it will center around the ghost dragon Giratina.

Seems quite possible that Giratina is named after Girasol, like how Dialga and Palkia are named after Diamond and Pearl. Since Girasol is also an Opal, chances are the 3rd game will be called Opal, unless Gamefreak decided to teach the hard vocab Girasol to kids. Just a thought though, NOT official.

Coronis~

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Just so you guys don't PM me about it anymore. The elemental beams in the third generation, i.e. Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn and Hydro Cannon, are all taught by a move tutor on the Hard Mountain Island. The fully evolved starters of ALL 4 regions can learn them, i.e.

Frenzy Plant: Venusaur, Meganium, Sceptile, Dodaitosu
Blast Burn: Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, Goukazaru
Hydro Cannon: Blastoise, Feraligatr, Swampert, Emperuto

Haven't experimented with them yet so I don't know if they're one-offs, or whether your starter requires a certain happiness to learn them, but the point is the moves are here.

As for Volt Tackle, I'm not certain but logically Pichus should still learn it if you breed Pikachus or Raichus holding the Light Ball.

Finally, for the 140 dragon move Meteoric Swarm, another move tutor teaches that. Haven't explored which pokemons can learn it yet.

In other words, ALL attacks are learnable by some pokemons in D/P. No more hidden moves like the elemental beams, volt tackle and icicle spear like when RS came out.

Coronis~

Purple Kecleon

Gym Leader
So far, I've got Oak to give me an Upgrade at 400- then I got all Pokemon, and all he did was congratulate me. I'm looking into the plates to get the ones I don't have to see if this is a factor.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Oh, btw, we've located all non-starter, non-legendary pokemon in D/P already with the exception of Tropius and Tangela, which we believe should appear in swarms too, but haven't been discovered yet, as there's no reason that these two pokemons are the only ones to get omitted.

Coronis~

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Ok, some of you are wondering how the swarms can accomodate all the non-Shinou pokemons. Just a brief explanation here.

Apart from the normal grass encounter and honey trees, there are 4 additional ways to get pokemons in D/P:

1) Pokemon Mansion - most baby or cute pokemons. The owner will activate one species each day, and you can encounter the latest TWO species that you've activated. This means the activated pokemon will NOT be there forever, it will be written over by the next species you activate. So be sure you catch it before moving on to the next, although the owner will reactivate the species again, so it's not like a one-off thing

2) PokeTore - quite a large sum are encountered this way. Serebii should have a page about it soon

3) Swarms - each route has a specific pokemon that appears. Talk to your rival's sister, and she will tell you about the swarm of that day. The list here is not fully complete yet, check the Official Swarm Thread.

4) GBA slots - remember Elekid and Magby? Well, there are actually much more pokemons you activate in the wild with the GBA cartridges, and these pokemons are only obtainable this way.

Ruby - Seedot, Nuzleaf, Zangoose, Mawile, Solrock
Sapphire - Lotad, Lombre, Seviper, Sableye, Lunatone
Emerald - Teddiursa, Ursaring, Gligar, Shuckle, Pineco
FR - Caterpie, Metapod, Growlithe, Ekans, Arbok, Elekid
LG - Weedle, Kakuna, Vulpix, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Magby

So, in a certain way, you STILL need the GBA games to get all pokemons, just in a different manner.

Coronis~

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Ok, the site where I got the Darkrai/Sheimi info from last night seems to have over fabricated the plots. The following seems to be the more correct and reliable version, since Manaphy's egg was obtained in a similar fashion. We also have info on Arseus now.

Darkrai:
1) Via future events, you download the key item 'Members Card'
item286.png
, which you pick up at the PokeMart
2) With this, you access the locked motel in Mio City, where a mysterious guy awaits and ushers you to spend a night there
3) You'll be forced to sleep in the motel, and in your dreams, you will arrive on New Moon Island
4) There, you see a wild Darkrai waiting at level 40
5) After you defeat or capture Darkrai, you will wake up alone in the motel, and the sailor will ask what you are doing in the ancient motel which has been there for more than 50 years
6) Then on, you can visit the New Moon Island via the sailor's ship
7) The other key item 'Red Chain'
item313.png
I talked about last night, is possibly something you pick up on the spot after Darkrai is caught/beaten, but this is not confirmed

New Moon Island on the map, right next to Kureseria's Full Moon Island:
NMIsland.jpg

Darkrai on New Moon Island:
Darkrai.jpg

Sheimi:
1) Via future events, you receive the key item 'Oak's Letter'
item174.png
, which you pick up at the PokeMart and must take to the shining white rock on Route 224
2) You'll find Prof. Oak waiting for you there, and explains that the rock is to show gratitude to someone. He'll compliment on how far a journey you've come, and wants to know who you wish to give thanks to
3) You'll be given the option to enter a few words, and once you confirm that your gratitude goes to the name you typed in, the Sea Fissure Path will appear
4) Sheimi will appear briefly before running back across the path
5) Oak will tell you to chase after Sheimi, and you cross the Sea Fissure Path, leading to the Flower Elysium where Sheimi awaits at level 30

Sea Fissure Road on the map:
SCRoad.jpg

Flower Elysium on the map:
FElysium.jpg

Sheimi in the Flower Elysium:
Sheimi.jpg

Changed Route 224:
ChangedRoute224.jpg

Arseus:
1) Via future events, you will receive the key item 'Heavens Pipe'
item312.png
, which you pick up at the PokeMart
2) Climb up Tengan Mountain to reach the Spear Pillar where you caught Dialga/Palkia
3) Stand on the mysterious symbol before the pillars, and an option will pop up to ask if you would play the 'Heavens Pipe'
4) Click yes, and a flight of shining stairs will open up leading to a higher ground known as the Beginning Dimension
5) Walk along the path and Arseus will be waiting at the end at level 80

Beginning Dimension opening up:
BeginningDimension.jpg

Wild Arseus:
WildArseus.jpg

Thanks to http://www19.atwiki.jp/pokedp for the above info.

Remember that these are all event pokemons, not normally obtainable in-game.

Coronis~

Last edited:

Coronis

In lucid awakening
According to one Japanese site, the two pokemons we're missing now have been located. Tangela appears as a swarm pokemon on Tengan Mountain, on the snow filled grasspatches right towards the top. For Tropius, it is listed as a Safari Zone pokemon, and apparently it's really rare since it's not even shown in the Pokedex like other rare Safaris are. Probably like how Munchlax is found on honey trees but not shown in the dex.

With that, discoveries on D/P are pretty much done, and I'll be concluding my work on D/P for the moment. Enjoy.

Coronis~

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Right guys, this about ends the Main DP Coverage. It's been a fun 3 weeks, but we think we've discovered pretty much everything. Some Minor Sections will still be added to the site over the coming weeks and months

Just to clarify; 445 out of the 493 Pokémon are obtainable in Diamond & Pearl in some way or another, inc. events, without trading with past games...a massive amount indeed

The Pokédex is fully up with all the moves, locations and evolutions...perfect for you to plan your team. The Dex may go through an aesthetic change in the coming months however

But thats essentially it, nothin else to do regarding it. May write a walkthrough over the coming months before US release as well and maybe a page detailling all the areas in Shinou and their intricacies, but other than that, we're done

Hope you enjoyed our coverage which cemented the fact that Serebii.net is the ONLY place for up to date excellent coverage of all aspects of Pokémon

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Ok, many of you are wondering what ever happened to the Red Gyarados, and here's the deal.

At the beginning of the game, you watch a TV report about a rampaging Red Gyarados in a distant lake, then your rival believes that a similar creature will be present in your hometown lake, a.k.a. the Trust Lake, and thus drags you there. Of course, there's no Red Gyarados there since it's never meant to be there, and naturally it was never mentioned again as the story progresses.

Given the extensive amount of GSC reference in D/P, this Red Gyarados could very well be the same one in the Lake of Rage in Johto, since D/P seems to take place around the same time as GSC.

In other words, the Red Gyarados was just a dramatic way to begin the story, but it was never in Shinou, so you won't encounter it in gameplay.

There are numerous other GSC references in the game. A man talks about a silver pokemon at the Whirl Islands, a rainbow pokemon at Tin Tower, as well as the Clefairy dance on Mt. Moon.

Coronis~

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Just had a test with the 2 move tutors in D/P. First, on Route 228, the old man who teaches Frenzyplant, Blastburn and Hydrocannon to the starters in their final forms. Like in FRLG, your pokemon must have very high happiness to be able to learn the attack.

For the old woman on Route 210 who teaches the dragon move Meteoric Swarm, only pokemons with a dragon type could learn them, and they must have high happiness as well. Dragon-like creatures that are not of the dragon type, like Gyarados, Charizard and Lugia, CANNOT learn it. As long as your pokemon has a dragon type, even stage 1s like Dratini and Fukamaru, they can learn it, provided that their happiness is sufficient.

And if you're wondering, Mew can't learn either of the above attacks.

Edit: to be more specific, pokemons that can learn Meteoric Swarm are:
147) Dratini
148) Dragonair
149) Dragonite
230) Kingdra
329) Vibrava
330) Flygon
334) Altaria
371) Bagon
372) Shelgon
373) Salamence
380) Latios
381) Latias
384) Rayquaza
443) Fukamaru
444) Gabaito
445) Kaburaisu
483) Dialga
484) Palkia
487) Giratina
edit: 493) Arseus (with Dragon Plate attached)

Finally, the elemental moves don't seem to be one-offs, as the old man still offers to teach after my Dodaitosu learnt Frenzyplant, but I don't have another starter with adequate happiness to test it out. Not sure about Meteoric Swarm since I have no happy dragons either.

Coronis~

Last edited:

Coronis

In lucid awakening
First off, checked on Arseus attached with Dragon Plate to move tutor, and this thing IS able to learn Meteoric Swarm this way.

And a bit about the Super Contests since we haven't really dwelled into this matter. As described in the pre-release info, there are three parts to the Super Contests, the first part being the Visual Assessment, second being Dance Assessment, and third being Move assessment.

Visual:
You get 60 secs to place 5 accessories on your pokemon. These accessories are gained thru various ways as you proceed along the game. There's this lady in the berry house in Sonou Town who sells you accessories for a certain amount of certain berries (some are expensive, requiring 150 berries or more), and in the Contact Square in the 5th gym city, where you can only enter when you bring cute pokemons there like Pikachu, Pinpuku (actually it's just becoz only these pokemons have overworld sprites, so don't ask me why Eevee isn't cute enough). There, after every 200 steps you take, your pokemon will be holding a new accessory or berry.

Anyway, this part of the Super Contest is determined by your accessories of course, and your pokemons conditions which are raised by feeding them Pofins.

Dancing:
There are four coloured buttons on the bottom touch screen (Up, Right, Down and Left). The active dancing pokemon sets a rhythm by tapping the buttons several times (any button, can repeat), then the support dancing pokemons behind must follow hit the exact rhythm, and exact buttons of course. When your pokemon becomes the active dancing one, you get to set the rhythm.

You don't seem to score much when you're the active dancer. When you're the support dancer, the closer you can mimic the active pokemon's rhythm, your higher score you get.

Move:
This is similar to the 3rd generation part, but each move does different things now, like surf gives you double amount of stars when used first. The only substantially new part is that there are 3 different judges this time, and you can choose to appeal to any one of them.

At the end of each turn, a judge who has only been appealed to once among the four pokemons, he will reward the pokemon who appealed to it 3 extra stars. If a judge has been appealed to twice, each of the 2 pokemons will receive 2 extra stars. Three times, each pokemon gets 1 extra star. If it happens that all 4 pokemons appeal to the same judge, none of them will get extra stars.

Like in RSE, if your move is of the same category as the contest, the meter gauge on top of each judge will increase by 1, and the lucky one who gets this meter full will get additional stars again just like before. A move of another category, like before, will decrease this meter by one.

At the very end, your total score in these 3 categories determine the winner. The winner gets the ribbon, as well as some new accessories, usually for boosting the visual appearance of the same category.

Coronis~

Status
Not open for further replies.