• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Fanfiction recommendations?

Ejunknown

be creative
since we should have a lighter authors cafe~

I don't think there is anything against a thread like this? (unless we already have one I didn't spot. x'D)

This is a thread for all our favourites, new or old. :heart: If we can have people come to the same consensus about a certain fic, then we can see about compiling a list of recommendations - but mainly, I would love to see your recommendations.

I'm trying to think of stories I have followed consistently on here, and there was one a few months ago, whose first person was not only adorably witty, but really quite smart. It spurred me to come back to this site and throw my hand around again, although I never had a chance to comment, and I never caught it's name. That sort of feeling though, deserves to be highlighted here. *m*

The prologue, (I don't think it is the first chapter?) begins with a ball of glowing light being chased by it's complete opposite, an invisible, energy sucking creature. After a chase, the ball of light finds a hiding place in a machine, which is revealed in the morning to be some medical monitoring equipment, transferring the creature into the head of some unsuspecting teen with scooter?

That's about as far as I got, he crashes the scooter, and gets the accidental discharge which inserts the Pokemon. Their banter was amusing, and I was enjoying it. >u<

I've been recommended Anima Ex Machina, by JX_valentine, which looks brilliant so far.

Ember Days, by Katiekitten ... her beautiful characterisation, and such a friendly, comfortable writing style that seems to flow out of her so easily - is my favourite currently running fic. As well as pestering her incessantly to write more of it, I can't seem to stop drawing it. >__>

and ignoring my past self's obnoxiousness From the archive, AEON by Kiyohime?

I'd love to see your favourite fanfics, from right out of the Serebii archive. x'D

Last edited:

Phoopes

There it is.
since we can't just have the new fic disappointment thread.

Awww... that's a personal shot.

Anyway, since I can't nominate my own, awful fic, I'd like to point out (again) bobandbill's "The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum." It's hilarious while fixing up the plot holes that game had. That's really the best way I can describe it.

CuriousHeartless

I need to reccomend Yssavryl's PMD: Lopholes (too lazy to find a link now, but I mihgt edit one in later). It was so good that it inspired me to write a fanfic. It takes everything in PMDL Explorers f Time and Darkness, turns the awesome, hertwarning, and sadness factors up to 11, and is absolutely awesome! I reccomend, no, require that you all read this.

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
RaikouRider's Beast Rider Trilogy (and his more recent Magic fics), are wonderful and exciting reads

Brain Powell's TR comedy one shots are hilarious

Gelatino95

Not a tool
The Adventure of Adventureness. It's the fic that got me to sign up for SPPf. I rolled onto the floor laughing multiple times while reading this. It contains some of the goofiest characters that make for one of the funniest stories ever invented. The humor is always fresh and varied, so it never gets boring. It takes a long time to read, but it's well worth the time. Kudos to you, Missingno. Master.

For my second recommendation, see my sig.

Ejunknown

be creative
Awww... that's a personal shot.

rhjskhsf, it was not intended to be, I'm sorry it came out that way. x'DD; It was meant say that the mood of the author cafe needs to be lightened up - I'm personally feeling way too dragged down, and we come on the internet to have fun, right? ;u;

And phoopes, with the longevity of your fic, there is no way you can honestly say your fic is terrible. x'D You have the nerve for writing that other authors, like me, are incredibly jealous of; you have the conviction to keep writing and improve, longer than just a small one shot, or chaptered story updated once every two years. x'D I look forward to reading more of your work! <3

Bobandbill! I remember and old Miror B fic, I'm not sure if Bobandbill wrote it or not, but I remember hearing his writing was funny! x'D

BrianPowell, another old name; I remember his comedy shots being recommended too. Why was I such a lurker in the past on Serebii? D:

@gelatino95 ; xD I saw that in the fanfiction section! I'll have to see about checking it out. :'D

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Unfortunately, a lot of the 'fics I have to recommend are dead. That tends to be a problem if you hang around the fanfic section for a long time.

However, Dragonfree's Morphic is worth a read, and it's actually complete! (But for some reason not in the Completed Fics section. I guess maybe because she posts extras and stuff in the thread now?)

Saffire Persian's The Ties that Bind is a lovely one-shot that remains one of my all-time favorites in the fandom.

Mouse Tourmalline writes excellent stuff, mostly one-shots. Search for threads started by her; it's worth it.

It's been a long time since I read Sike Saner's Origin of Storms, but I remember that it was pretty awesome. Also complete! Unfortunately I haven't read its sequel.

purple_drake writes good stuff, too; mostly one-shots. The Rookie's Handbook to Conspiracy Theory is a short chapterfic that I particularly enjoyed.

For lighter and more humorous fare, both Chozo's Penultimate and Smunkie's Gym Rat are great--and dead.

That's all I can think of for now. Possibly more later as I remember them. Also, I may be missing some 'fics that I *know* are posted on other sites but I don't realize are crossposted here. Eh.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
The prologue, (I don't think it is the first chapter?) begins with a ball of glowing light being chased by it's complete opposite, an invisible, energy sucking creature. After a chase, the ball of light finds a hiding place in a machine, which is revealed in the morning to be some medical monitoring equipment, transferring the creature into the head of some unsuspecting teen with scooter?

That's about as far as I got, he crashes the scooter, and gets the accidental discharge which inserts the Pokemon. Their banter was amusing, and I was enjoying it. >u<

I'm too lazy to link it, but that would be Cutlerine's The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World. ...Which was going to be my response to this thread, so brofist. Cutlerine's work in general is full of awesome. There's a lot of thought put into it (and I must add that this particular fic has a lot of pretty cool plot twists that you'll want to stick around to see), and everything is delivered both intelligently and with a dash of humor. I'm not sure if/when Cutlerine plans on bringing the rest to SPPf, but you can definitely Google his other fics, including Coriolanus Rowland's Guide to Pokémon Husbandry and My Trip to the End of Time, by Pearl Giddeon (the latter of which, incidentally, is the sequel to The Thinking Man's Guide).

Thanks for the rec, by the by. b)'')b

Dragonfree

Just me
Unfortunately, a lot of the 'fics I have to recommend are dead. That tends to be a problem if you hang around the fanfic section for a long time.

However, Dragonfree's Morphic is worth a read, and it's actually complete! (But for some reason not in the Completed Fics section. I guess maybe because she posts extras and stuff in the thread now?)

Saffire Persian's The Ties that Bind is a lovely one-shot that remains one of my all-time favorites in the fandom.

Mouse Tourmalline writes excellent stuff, mostly one-shots.

It's been a long time since I read Sike Saner's Origin of Storms, but I remember that it was pretty awesome. Also complete! Unfortunately I haven't read its sequel.

purple_drake writes good stuff, too; mostly one-shots. The Rookie's Handbook to Conspiracy Theory was looking really good, but it's chaptered and unfortunately dead, I think.

For lighter and more humorous fare, both Chozo's Penultimate and Smunkie's Gym Rat are great--and dead.

That's all I can think of for now. Possibly more later as I remember them. Also, I may be missing some 'fics that I *know* are posted on other sites but I don't realize are crossposted here. Eh.
Whoo, thanks. :D And yes, it's not in Completed Fics because of the extras, which I'm not sure I'll ever stop writing because wtf self way to get hung up on two characters.

However, I feel obligated to point out that those search links don't actually work, since vBulletin is silly and caches searches for some short amount of time and then expires them; there is no way to link to search results, even simple ones. Also, I'm pretty sure The Rookie's Handbook to Conspiracy Theory was complete where it left off.

Anyway, I would like to add [thread=273148]Lost Evolution[/thread] and [thread=490657]Foregone Conclusion[/thread] by elyvorg.

The former is a trainer fic in the sense of a fic about a trainer, but not a journey fic; it follows an original character who's been a trainer for years going on a completely different quest after seeing an extinct alternate evolution of Grovyle flying through the sky. It has CHARACTERS and they are ADORABLE and I fangirl it. Also, don't let the Sceptile-bashing prevalent in the earlier chapters, or the what genetics in chapter four/five/something, distract you.

The latter is a prequel of sorts (and is completed!), but you don't actually need to have read Lost Evolution first (actually, all reading that is really going to do is spoil several key aspects of it, so it might actually be better to read FC first). It happens in ancient times and follows a Treecko named Forsira whose parents are killed by strange angular shadows in the night at the beginning, her struggles to grow up without them, her friendship with another Treecko named Zathern, and the commencing of The Most Depressing Thing Ever. Also there is a character named Tefiren who is the most utterly delightful character in the world if you're a weirdo like me whose mouth waters over characters with elaborate layers of psychological defense mechanisms, denial and their own personal brand of logic. Also characters keep dying and running for their lives and cracking under pressure and and and. Also have I mentioned CHARACTERS because elyvorg writes the best adorablest characters.

(Shush I am an incoherent fangirl and it's nearly half past five AM.)

Last edited:

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
However, I feel obligated to point out that those search links don't actually work, since vBulletin is silly and caches searches for some short amount of time and then expires them; there is no way to link to search results, even simple ones. Also, I'm pretty sure The Rookie's Handbook to Conspiracy Theory was complete where it left off.
gdi vBulletin. Uhh, I guess I'll go back and try to figure out what to do with those links, then.

And I somehow missed the last chapter of RHCT! :O I'll have to go read that now and also amend my post.

teamVASIMR

Plasma Rocket

Rediamond

Middle of nowhere
Anything by ShadedSkies is worth reading in my opinion. Dawn Hero's recently restarted Within my Own Nightmares and GastlyMan's Hidden Gems and Hollow Lies is also pretty good. Out of the latter two, both aren't particularly far in, although the first Nightmare thread goes a little ways. Those are my recommendations that haven't been covered yet.

Phoopes

There it is.
I forgot to mention in my first post... Pokedex One Shots by Ysavvryl (Hope I spelled that right) and anything by Breezy are excellent.

Diddy

Renegade
If you have a month or so to spare, you could sit down and read the Pokémon Revolution series by EonMaster_1

Starting with Pokémon Revolution: Johto and it's sequel Pokémon Revolution: Advent Phoenix. There's also a third in the series called Pokémon Revolution: Maverick Heart, which follows the journey of one of the really minor characters in a fanmade region (that shouldn't discourage you if you aren't a fan of fanmade regions though, it doesn't constantly bombard you with different locales as a lot of the fic up to now takes place in the same general corner of the region.

When I say a spare month, that's kind of a half joke, you probably could read it quicker... but Advent Phoenix is around 80 chapters long and each chapter is at least 2 posts, some are 3 and I'm pretty sure he did a 4 post chapter once.

I'd also like to agree with the recommendation for Breezy's work (her various one-shots included) but mostly Hoenn League: A Brendan and May Adventure (HLBMA for short :p)

They're all pretty much journey/adventure fics, but they're stand-out examples.

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Burnt Flower had a fantastic one-shot called Welcome to the Internet. It was a submission for the old Requiem: A Tragedy One-Shot Contest. Creepy as hell - and equally sad.

Negrek also wrote a story called Clouded Sky. Although she updated it (absurdly) slowly, the story is awesomesauce. Has it been posted on SPP, though? I'm not quite sure. Nonetheless, the author is a SPPf-er, so you guys can consider it a Serebii Fic. xD

Xman96

Fighting Leader
I would like to point out two fics that I've found excellent. Feralninja's Hero's Path and League of Heroes. League of Heroes comes first, and has inspired a few other fics as well. Both are excellent reads. However they are kinda long know, but well worth it.

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Obviously, my fic.

I liked Draco Malfoy's Under the Same Sky, but I don't feel like reading the entire fic. (I'm lazy like that. I should really start reading it before it gets even more chapters) Like Missingno. Master said, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Creature of Storms was good (as far as I read, anyways)

Generally, I read drabbles and one-shots. I thought phoopes' drabbles were good, and so were IanDonyer's one-shot thread and They Also Serve, those who Stand and Cater. It's about the Shadow Triad.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Anything by [Imaginative]:[Clockwork].

So far, all he's written are one-shots, but these are really good one-shots. I'd like to mention a favorite or two:

Fad

A take on a Pokémon Trainer's life (game-wise). It explains how he's away from home a lot, and just like he changes on his journey, so does the world. He goes back to Pallet Town to find everything is different. There is an implied ghetto-atmosphere about Pallet Town. His mother moved elsewhere, and the house is up for sale, but it's falling apart. There are many other things noted, but the list will get too long if I continue.

Basically, it shows how a thing from the nostalgic past may change overtime, or get abandoned for something new, in which that too will pass. It strikes the reader hard when one remembers how new Generation I was, at how the world of Pokémon was fresh, exciting, and held many challenges. However, as time passed by, revealing new adventures out there, despite the revivals, the excitement of the first games are already gone, faded into memory. The world in this one-shot reflects that.

Smart Kids

A disturbingly realistic take on the dangers of the Safari Zone. There is a reason a lot of places are closed off. Well, apparently something went wrong, so the Safari Zone was closed. And then a few kids break in. It's actually told in first-person POV, but you wouldn't really realize it until the end, where the disturbing elements finally kick in. Still makes me tremble at the thought.

But overall, all the one-shot's he's done are really well-done. I highly recommend reading them, especially if you enjoy the nostalgia.

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Anything by [Imaginative]:[Clockwork].

So far, all he's written are one-shots, but these are really good one-shots. I'd like to mention a favorite or two:

Fad

A take on a Pokémon Trainer's life (game-wise). It explains how he's away from home a lot, and just like he changes on his journey, so does the world. He goes back to Pallet Town to find everything is different. There is an implied ghetto-atmosphere about Pallet Town. His mother moved elsewhere, and the house is up for sale, but it's falling apart. There are many other things noted, but the list will get too long if I continue.

Basically, it shows how a thing from the nostalgic past may change overtime, or get abandoned for something new, in which that too will pass. It strikes the reader hard when one remembers how new Generation I was, at how the world of Pokémon was fresh, exciting, and held many challenges. However, as time passed by, revealing new adventures out there, despite the revivals, the excitement of the first games are already gone, faded into memory. The world in this one-shot reflects that.

Smart Kids

A disturbingly realistic take on the dangers of the Safari Zone. There is a reason a lot of places are closed off. Well, apparently something went wrong, so the Safari Zone was closed. And then a few kids break in. It's actually told in first-person POV, but you wouldn't really realize it until the end, where the disturbing elements finally kick in. Still makes me tremble at the thought.

But overall, all the one-shot's he's done are really well-done. I highly recommend reading them, especially if you enjoy the nostalgia.

Ah yes, these one-shots were epic. Along with those two fics, Mr. Dervish was also a favorite of mine. Actually, they were the only ones I read...

Speaking of one-shots, I'll also like to note New Game by Dragon user X. Makes you feel sad for the poor Pokémon in the save file getting erased. magikarp rules' More was good too and involved a save file getting erased as well.