• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
There's a chance that the forum will be deleted again like 7 years ago?

Manchee

extra toasty
Serebii said:
What possible reason would there be to do that

I think they're just confused and thought the forums would be deleted and a new one would be put up on the new version.

Just curious, but what would upgrading fix, if anything? I know there are a few good "problems" here that annoy people, and I'm just interested to know how many/which ones would be fixed by upgrading.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Upgrading to vB4 wouldn't really fix anything bar giving us a proper opportunity to redo the aesthetics.

The only issue we have is the lag and that's not because we're on vb3, it's because of an issue that arose when we hooked up the dual server connectivity. Unfortunately, we're still yet to trace the error.

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆
^ So if I'm understanding you correctly here Serebii,
a serious overhaul of the forum server architecture
is not what will fix the lag, as you have no idea as to exactly what is causing it? If not, then what will this do, out of sheer interest?

Last edited:

Ethan

Banned
What will fix the issue, is when Serebii has Ricocheting search the database for this error, find it, and fix it. That can take a long time, anywhere from 48 hours downtime of the forums. That's what we had planned on doing, but sometime ago the forums underwent maintenance and got a bit faster, Serebii, thinking the problem was fixed, then decided not to do the 48 hours.

Or at least, that's how I understand it.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
^ So if I'm understanding you correctly here Serebii,

is not what will fix the lag, as you have no idea as to exactly what is causing it? If not, then what will this do, out of sheer interest?
We wont know til we find out what caused it

Devastator2000

Are you high...?
I don't think that's a normal feature on vB4. The forum I mod on that was vB4 didn't readily have the option to change the color of profiles, or at least none that I saw.

Oh, and I change my opinion about changing to the new version, if that matters. It would be really nice actually, to see sppf in that version.

Late Reply is Late.
I've seen it on other forums, many a time. All you need to do is Activate it.

My late reply on the matter as well.

I would say that Serebii should take that 48 hour maitenance check when he's up to it. A faster site means more members come back, alot who quit because the forum was too slow. If the Forum begins going to full speed again, people will come back with old accounts when they here that Serebiiforums is fast, and new members won't feel the urge to quit.

I am sure that this check would be very time consuming and I can also say that if Serebii were to do it, he should do it when he has time.

I'm not saying that I command you do this, but to me it seems like a good idea. 48 hours of maitenance will eventually save people from the 10 minute load time they encouinter sometimes.

But regardless, I'm sticking with Serebii all the way. The people are straight with you, but the mods are strict, which allows us to make sure rules aren't broken again. I have several infractions and have learned from them.

But to hell with the loading time. I love it here regardless of it's faults. ^^

Aquanova

I say if and When Serebii has the time, you should take the 48 hours and try to fix the lag, that would make the forum experience 10 times better already. I hate the loading time, its one of the reasons im dissatisfied but not the only reason. I wont miss the forums for 2 days.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
If you do infact end up going through it serebii, do it on a Tuesday/Wednesday sometime before Black and White are released.

natie

Mr. F
*insert idea for custom avatars here*

But seriously, as the lag has disappeared once again, I don't see why custom avatars should still be a no-no. Heck, you could even make a system in which members only gain the privilege to use a custom avatar after reaching a certain number of posts (although that may cause spamming), or after being approved by a moderator.

I don't know, I just want a custom avatar. ;-;

Torpoleon

*insert idea for custom avatars here*

But seriously, as the lag has disappeared once again, I don't see why custom avatars should still be a no-no. Heck, you could even make a system in which members only gain the privilege to use a custom avatar after reaching a certain number of posts (although that may cause spamming), or after being approved by a moderator.

I don't know, I just want a custom avatar. ;-;
Being approved by a moderator for custom avatars would be a good idea. The lag has gone away, so maybe custom avatars should be allowed when a mod approves a member.

I want to have collectibles and trophies on this site like they have on the Cheezeburger Network. On those sites, when you jump from one site in the network to another, sometimes a message will come up and say "Congratulations, you've found a collectible ___," and if you have an account on that network the collectible you found will appear on your user profile. They have all kinds of random things in various categories like food items (carrot, broccoli, etc), things cats like to sleep in (laundry basket, etc), and some things that you can only find at certain times of year (holiday-items and New-Year's Resolutions). It's not like you get a voucher so you can actually get the items in real life, they're just fun to try and find (you can also get them as gifts from other members).
Also, they have trophies you can get that appear on your profile when you accomplish certain things like voting for X number of pictures/videos, posting X number of pictures/videos, making X number of friends, etc. We should have things like that here with creating X number of threads (void if they are spam threads), going X length of time without any infractions, answering X number of questions in advice or Q & A threads, etc.

As for the collectibles, I have a few ideas:
Badges: all of the different badges from the different regions
Pokeballs: All different kinds of Pokeballs
Types: Pictures of popular Pokemon from every type like Pikachu for Electric, Riolu for Fighting, and Shaymin for Grass

Also, as I said, you could give people the ability to give collectibles as gifts or trade them with each other so they can complete the collections from the different categories. That way it would be fine to have doubles of some so you could use them as trade bait.
Next, you could have special collectibles you get for getting certain groups of three or four collectibles from a certain category:
*Get a Pokeball, Great Ball, and Ultra Ball and you get a free Master Ball
*Get multiple Pokeballs, get a Premier Ball
*Get a Safari Ball, Sport Ball, and Park Ball, get a Dream Ball

What do you think? I think it would be really fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.