• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torpoleon

What about profile pictures?
Who the heck actually uses those? You could just request one to be made at a Fan Art Shop. Aren't Profile Pictures basically "custom" anyways?

I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this. You can find an avatar here that suits your liking. You just need to search for it here.

pkmnhippy

Banned
Who the heck actually uses those? You could just request one to be made at a Fan Art Shop. Aren't Profile Pictures basically "custom" anyways?

I don't know why people are making a big deal out of this. You can find an avatar here that suits your liking. You just need to search for it here.

I'm asking if they cause as much strain to the server as custom avatars, and if so, why aren't they disabled?

Torpoleon

I'm asking if they cause as much strain to the server as custom avatars, and if so, why aren't they disabled?
That more than likely means no strain is caused with Profiler Pictures otherwise they'd have probably been taken off years ago.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
When do you see Profile Pictures? When you go into someone's profile.

When do you see avatars? Multiple times, in every thread you visit, by every person who is looking at the forum.

How often do you go to someone's profile in comparison to looking at a thread? I wager it's a very big difference. Profile Pictures don't lag the server because they aren't seen very often. Avatars are seen constantly.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
What about signatures, don't they lag it quite a bit too?

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Did it ever occur to the mods/admins that the "Rules Breakers Are Giving Us a Headache" banner doesn't link the current rules?

Mudkip8003

Yeah, the 4.0 version is better. If it's possible, try and upgrade it!

Golde

Always Searching~
Yo~

I could be completely hit and miss here, seeing as how I'm attempting (badly I might add) at not spoiling myself on Black and White, but I recall reading somewhere that a Reshiram/Zekrom was able to be shiny somewhere but not somewhere else.

My suggestion is to have a small page detailing any locations in which the conditions of obtaining shinies in-game differs from normal.

Thnx~

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Yo~

I could be completely hit and miss here, seeing as how I'm attempting (badly I might add) at not spoiling myself on Black and White, but I recall reading somewhere that a Reshiram/Zekrom was able to be shiny somewhere but not somewhere else.

My suggestion is to have a small page detailing any locations in which the conditions of obtaining shinies in-game differs from normal.

Thnx~

Website Suggestions.
Forum Suggestions.

Guess out which one you should have posted in. Clue. Not the Forum Suggestions.

TheLooker

DarkStarZ
I suggest the the serebii forums gets an iPhone or iPod app. That would be awesome.

TheLooker

DarkStarZ
Well you all proved some points
But I was just suggesting

Custom Avatars!

Here is a thing.

• 100,000 users.
  • Custom Avatar size limit of 95x95 and 100kb (I think, correct me if I'm wrong but it's a nice figure for the thing).
  • Subtract 30% of the users to account for inactivity; 70,000 users.
  • Subtract 20% from the original 100,000 users who will not bother to use a custom avatar; 50,000 users.
  • 50,000 Custom avatars.
  • 50,000 x 100 kb = 5,000,000 kb of data.
  • 5,000,000 kb divided by 1024 = 4882.81 MB.
  • 4882.81 MB divided by 1024 = 4.8 GB
  • 13,761 Avatars provided, we'll say these are all 100kb each as well for sake of argument.
  • 13,761 x 100 kb = 1,376,100 kb of data.
  • 1,376,100 kb divided by 1024 = 1343.85 MB.
  • 1343.85 MB divided by 1024 = 1.31 GB

[*]Provided avatars = 1.31 GB
    [*]Using the above, custom avatars = 4.8 GB.

Naturally this is all just using averages and simplistic figures, and the actual statistics will probably vary, but disk space doesn't come cheap so you can probably start to see why custom avatars aren't incorporated - those figures look small but what's the better option when you're running on a budget? The cheaper one.

To add to Josh's point, the forum database at the moment is already over 16GB which is one of the causes for the lag.
So, why can't we have custom avatars? Mystery solved.

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Here is a thing.

• 100,000 users.
  • Custom Avatar size limit of 95x95 and 100kb (I think, correct me if I'm wrong but it's a nice figure for the thing).
  • Subtract 30% of the users to account for inactivity; 70,000 users.
  • Subtract 20% from the original 100,000 users who will not bother to use a custom avatar; 50,000 users.
  • 50,000 Custom avatars.
  • 50,000 x 100 kb = 5,000,000 kb of data.
  • 5,000,000 kb divided by 1024 = 4882.81 MB.
  • 4882.81 MB divided by 1024 = 4.8 GB
  • 13,761 Avatars provided, we'll say these are all 100kb each as well for sake of argument.
  • 13,761 x 100 kb = 1,376,100 kb of data.
  • 1,376,100 kb divided by 1024 = 1343.85 MB.
  • 1343.85 MB divided by 1024 = 1.31 GB

[*]Provided avatars = 1.31 GB
    [*]Using the above, custom avatars = 4.8 GB.

Naturally this is all just using averages and simplistic figures, and the actual statistics will probably vary, but disk space doesn't come cheap so you can probably start to see why custom avatars aren't incorporated - those figures look small but what's the better option when you're running on a budget? The cheaper one.

That said...
To add to Josh's point, the forum database at the moment is already over 16GB which is one of the causes for the lag.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
16 GB?? and quite a bit of it is needed to be in RAM, to make the site run well. I heard you're doing some things to reduce it.. mentioned somewhere where mortals can not go...

I did a little look around. There are Mobile forum app for iPhone/iOs Devices and a few for Android. Many are not cheap and require someone (The user or Joe) to buy something, and Joe to add some back end code to the forums, which I don;t think he wants to do yet.

I have a Wordpress app on my phone, and quite often I find it easier to wait until I reach my PC, and Log in there. (MikeSharpeWriter.com runs a Wordress.org site, and as sole Admin there.)

natie

Mr. F
Solution: custom avatars hosted on other image hosting websites (like imgur or ******* or whatever one prefers). Those take up zero space on the forums' server(s?).

Status
Not open for further replies.