• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2010 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

weavileluver1

I've got the powah!
I think that we should be able to close and/or delete threads that we posted, as well as deleting our own posts if we want to (or can we already do that?). That would make the site a lot better looking, without threads that are who-knows-how-many-years old in the back of each forum.

weavileluver1

I've got the powah!
I think that we should be able to close and/or delete threads that we posted, as well as deleting our own posts if we want to (or can we already do that?). That would make the site a lot better looking, without threads that are who-knows-how-many-years old in the back of each forum.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
You can delete your own posts

Andros 1337

I have a big suggestion: Drop vBulletin when UBB.threads 8.0 is released. I know what you are thinking, that is the old Perl/Flat file based forum software package that was infamous for its slowness. That is entirely wrong, UBB.threads is written in PHP and uses a MySQL database.

The reason why I am suggesting this is because Internet Brands has jacked up their prices for vBulletin 4, and a new license will have to be purchased to upgrade to it. I strongly don't recommend vBulletin 4, since it is very buggy and uncustomizable. In addition, certain features such as a photo gallery and blogs must be paid extra for. UBB.threads 8.0 will offer these features at no additional cost for a lower price than a standalone vBulletin 4 forum.

I wouldn't switch to the current version of UBB.threads (7.5.5) right now, however, once UBB.threads 8.0 is released, I think it would be the perfect option for this site. Importers for vBulletin are currently available for version 7.5.5, and will be available with UBB.threads 8.0 when released.

Here are some previews of certain features of UBB.threads 8.0:
http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/226752/Version_8_Changelog.html#Post226752

Here's a mighty fine suggestion:

Post fusing

I've been to vBulletin sites before and if some idiot (Or Site Glitch) makes a Double post, instead of two posts, it makes One with an edit for the second one and the extra post in the post doesn't go towards post count

Here's a mighty fine suggestion:

Post fusing

I've been to vBulletin sites before and if some idiot (Or Site Glitch) makes a Double post, instead of two posts, it makes One with an edit for the second one and the extra post in the post doesn't go towards post count

Click the edit button, then go to delete post. Double post is reduced to single post, and problem solved.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
In the wake of Black & White, please make Actual Racism a 130 POINT INFRACTION / PERMABAN, and discussing Racism issues a 10 POINT INFRACTION

You're discussing racism in your post right now. Will a 10 point infraction be ok for you? Trolling is 10 points. It's a big enough warning. If someone insists of being a **** all the time then they get banned. We don't need an instant permaban for racism alone. What about all the other forms of discrimination? Are they not as bad as racism?

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
I know we're not supposed to request avatars, and it's posted very clearly, I couldn't find any other threads to ask this, and I'm very sorry.

Are those new manga character sprites ever going to be made into avatars?

I really like them.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Its a forums problem, not a suggestion, and I figured here would be better than creating a thread.

Sometimes when I click a thread to read it, specifically the button to take me to the last post, but instead, I'll be 3-5 pages from the last page.

For example, about 10 minutes ago, I opened the DPPt Recent Happenings Thread, and I click to go to the last post, and I find I'm on Page 88 of 91.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Its a forums problem, not a suggestion, and I figured here would be better than creating a thread.

Sometimes when I click a thread to read it, specifically the button to take me to the last post, but instead, I'll be 3-5 pages from the last page.

For example, about 10 minutes ago, I opened the DPPt Recent Happenings Thread, and I click to go to the last post, and I find I'm on Page 88 of 91.
That is a bug with the forum software and as such Joe is totally powerless to correct it.

Profesco

gone gently
Might you be talking about the thread links you access off the main index page? They say "Go to the first unread post." Sometimes the first unread post isn't the most recently made post, or even on the most recent page.

I don't know if that's what you meant, though. :p

Mew-100

Future Scriptwriter!
You see the pictures in here?
http://www.serebii.net/ranger3/boss.shtml
Do you think you could remove the black background, making the background transparent and add them to the Avatar list? They're pretty neat.

And also, I don't know if this is possible but, on the top of the page on the forums, do you think you could add a bit with quick links that you can customize so for example you could have a link to a particular thread or one to your posts or another user's profile, and one to the User CP too.

Thanks for reading my suggestions ^.^

SBaby

Dungeon Master
http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=447085

I'm just going to assume that you probably didn't see this yet, because you're usually pretty good about responding to this when it happens. But I had to show you this. And it's a Mod! Anyway, maybe calling people idiots somehow isn't flaming anymore... But I seriously doubt it. I'm just concerned because it seems that this kind of trend is flaring up yet again, especially in the Anime section.

Last edited:

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Drunken Squirrel
How about we merge some of the boards. I don't really see why we need to have this many of them, when in all honesty, the forum doesn't seem that active.

Or maybe it is active and just doesn't seem active because posts are spread so thin.

Honestly, it seems like the older Pokemon games could all be merged into one board, leaving the newer games to have their separate boards while they are still new and talked about.

Same with the anime boards. They could probably be condensed down to one or two.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
You see the pictures in here?
http://www.serebii.net/ranger3/boss.shtml
Do you think you could remove the black background, making the background transparent and add them to the Avatar list? They're pretty neat.

And also, I don't know if this is possible but, on the top of the page on the forums, do you think you could add a bit with quick links that you can customize so for example you could have a link to a particular thread or one to your posts or another user's profile, and one to the User CP too.

Thanks for reading my suggestions ^.^

Again. This is not an avatar request thread.

And I don't think that's possible on vBulliten, without a hack, which Serebii will not do.

How about we merge some of the boards. I don't really see why we need to have this many of them, when in all honesty, the forum doesn't seem that active.

Or maybe it is active and just doesn't seem active because posts are spread so thin.

Honestly, it seems like the older Pokemon games could all be merged into one board, leaving the newer games to have their separate boards while they are still new and talked about.

Same with the anime boards. They could probably be condensed down to one or two.

The forums being inactive doesn't make any difference to the other forums though, so why fuss around by condensing them when they are serving their purpose as they are? It also depends what you class as 'older games'. Bear in mind that Ruby and Sapphire are 8 years old now, are you suggesting they also be collapsed down to a '1st, 2nd and 3rd gen' forum?

If you don't want to see the forums you can hide the section they ar ein by collapsing it down on the main page. It's what I do to keep the masses of NEW forums out of my way.

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=447085

I'm just going to assume that you probably didn't see this yet, because you're usually pretty good about responding to this when it happens. But I had to show you this. And it's a Mod! Anyway, maybe calling people idiots somehow isn't flaming anymore... But I seriously doubt it. I'm just concerned because it seems that this kind of trend is flaring up yet again, especially in the Anime section.

A lot of members seem to be under the mistaken impression that they can reply to threads that are either obviously SPAM or someone trying to look clever, with pointless anecdotes, 'hilarious' memes or more SPAM. Time and time again they have to be told it is against the rules, but still, they think they can do it. S Suiken has handed out warnings over and over. There are announcements and rules in the anime forum, in the main forum. DO NOT REPLY TO SPAM. If members are still incapable of following this VERY BASIC rule, then they are idiots. Some of the people who replied to that thread have been warned for it previously.

In any case, I see it as a passing comment directed at the group mentality as oppose to direct flaming. Calling someone an idiot isn't nearly as bad as some of the outright insults and derogatory comments that get made.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
A lot of members seem to be under the mistaken impression that they can reply to threads that are either obviously SPAM or someone trying to look clever, with pointless anecdotes, 'hilarious' memes or more SPAM. Time and time again they have to be told it is against the rules, but still, they think they can do it. S Suiken has handed out warnings over and over.

Nobody's arguing about the infractions themselves. If you ask me, I think that they should've gotten them sooner. But that's just me. What I AM talking about is the fact that he included that particular 'commentary' instead of just saying that they were already warned about it.

Calling someone an idiot isn't nearly as bad as some of the outright insults and derogatory comments that get made.

So what are you saying? Is it alright to call someone an idiot, or isn't it?

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I'd say in that context, it probably was.

Well, it is or it isn't. You really shouldn't say that something's against the rules and then suddenly decide to make special exceptions on a whim. All it's going to do is confuse people (yes, I can read through that kind of thing, but not everyone can). I just worry, because once the mods do it, the members start doing it (and they will). That's something I've learned in the almost 5 years I've been here, and this is not the first time it's happened. But each time it happens, the result is the same. I just happened to notice it right away this time.

Although now that I think of it, I probably should not have mentioned it right away. I probably should've waited, because it always gets worse, and it would've been more obvious if I had waited about a month to bring it up. I guess the only excuse I really have is that I wanted to try and take care of it right away before it got to that point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.