• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
No, It's not complete bull. It would be complete bull if I said it weren't one of the most complete and reliable Pokémon databases out there. It would be complete bull if I said that it did not provide general information that is valuable to most players. However, it would also be complete bull if I said that it was detailed and thorough in every area. Like I said before, I see it as a database, not a guide.

The PokeDex, AbilityDex, BerryDex, AttackDex, ItemDex, and the Pokearth are complete and concise, for the most part. But you have to admit that there are some articles, most of which are outside of the databases (the ones I listed before) that are outdated, inaccurate, or ridden with typos. And yes, I am aware of the existence of a system that users can use to report the inconsistencies. Now, don't think of me as insensitive and unappreciative; I can imagine how tedious it can be to run a whole website with only a handful of editors. Which is why I am asking you to give us the opportunity to help by creating more specific and in-dept guides on a new Sub-Forum. It'll undoubtedly attract more viewers and benefit the community as a whole.

To be honest, I think it's a marvelous idea, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't been suggested a million times before.

Now, If you feel that it devalues you and your team's hard work on the main site, which is in no way my intention, or because of technical issues (you'll have to excuse my poor knowledge of how the forums run exactly), then feel free to add it to that list on the first post. All I am asking is for you to consider it.

I fully and completely disagree. The various pages in the game mechanic sections and in the game sections themselves are fully up to date and completely in-depth :/ You're welcom on adding things in FAQ threads though, but it's unlikely you'll have something that the site doesn't have.

Hey why don't you upload badges as avatars it would be cool because as far as i can tell you have not got them
(maybe you have and i just cant find them, in which case sorry for a pointless post)

Natty

Electric Rodent
No, It's not complete bull. It would be complete bull if I said it weren't one of the most complete and reliable Pokémon databases out there. It would be complete bull if I said that it did not provide general information that is valuable to most players. However, it would also be complete bull if I said that it was detailed and thorough in every area. Like I said before, I see it as a database, not a guide.

The PokeDex, AbilityDex, BerryDex, AttackDex, ItemDex, and the Pokearth are complete and concise, for the most part. But you have to admit that there are some articles, most of which are outside of the databases (the ones I listed before) that are outdated, inaccurate, or ridden with typos. And yes, I am aware of the existence of a system that users can use to report the inconsistencies. Now, don't think of me as insensitive and unappreciative; I can imagine how tedious it can be to run a whole website with only a handful of editors. Which is why I am asking you to give us the opportunity to help by creating more specific and in-dept guides on a new Sub-Forum. It'll undoubtedly attract more viewers and benefit the community as a whole.

To be honest, I think it's a marvelous idea, and I'd be surprised if it hasn't been suggested a million times before.

Now, If you feel that it devalues you and your team's hard work on the main site, which is in no way my intention, or because of technical issues (you'll have to excuse my poor knowledge of how the forums run exactly), then feel free to add it to that list on the first post. All I am asking is for you to consider it.

I just want to contribute by saying I totally support this idea. :3 I think the community as a whole will have a more.... "complete" grasp on the games than a group of editors (no disrespect, but it's a matter of numbers) kind of like what Bulbapedia has going. There's such a vast amount of people observing and constructing that site, which gives it credibility.

I also notice Pokearth is.... innacurate, if I may? The functioning is really great, the drag and click lists are convenient and good. But the map itself doesn't seem that accurate. Have you ever considered changing it to something like this?

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
Actually, the Pokearth map is purely theoretical. It says so right above the map.

Some articles are accurate and up-to-date, but some others are not. That's beside the point. The main idea here is to allow players to contribute guides, i.e Step-By-Step instructions, detailed explanations on mechanics such as Breeding and EV training (yes, I am aware of your articles), strategies, walkthroughs, and more. And all it takes is a extra sub-forum, a couple of mods to keep things in check, and you can leave the rest to us.

I'm not going to push the idea any further if you're uncomfortable with it, for whatever reason, but I am almost certain that this would be a beneficial addition, and will receive much praise and support.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Well you're always welcome to adding FAQs and I don't hide that older game sections are a bit neglected, but I am but one man. I always say I'll go back and do it in a summer when my workload is dead, this summer is quite likely. However, new games ALWAYS take priority

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
I don't know if this has been suggested yet so sorry if that is the case but what about Private Threads?

I'm sure it will add a lot of hassle or problems but I think Private threads that Staff (Of Course! Since they have to moderate the thread lolz) and only friends can post in would be a great addition to the site.

I mean it might alienate other members but there is a reason it is private except to the Serebii staff.

I suggest restrictions to members able to make Private Threads and the amount of Private Thread they can make. Things like no new member can make a Private thread, having a certain amount of posts, or being active 4/7 days a week.

Although the answer is most likely no I think it was good to at least suggest it. Thanks for the taking the time to consider my request. Oh and thanks for making this an awesome site to hang around in. :)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
...and what would Private Threads be used for, and would that be something that could be done via PMs/VMs (as you can set your profile to friends only), or social groups (provided there is a topic worthwhile, you can set it to invite only)?

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
...and what would Private Threads be used for, and would that be something that could be done via PMs/VMs (as you can set your profile to friends only), or social groups (provided there is a topic worthwhile, you can set it to invite only)?

Well there are mature conversations that can be discussed between members without worry of kids coming in and posting. It is also a good way to make sure spambots can't ever get inside the thread... well the private ones at least lolz.

I think it is up to a Serebii staff's discretion or Serebii himself to authorize Private Threads so there aren't hundreds popping up each day. Make a Private Thread for the RPG section so that nobody just adds themselves to the RPG and many other instances where Private Threads could be useful.

This is just something to think over, I don't know the complex ways to make sure a Thread will be private or anything and I'm sure it would be troublesome but it does have value. PM's can only work between 2 people so others can't really reply, and social groups I don't know exactly how they work.

John's Knight

Perhaps this has been said before; is there a way to organize the avatar gallery; e.g. the sugimori art? It takes some time to find a certain pokemon, as it isn't numerically ordered (although I think this is vBulletin's fault, can't recall if it is possible to organize). Also, still inside the sugimori art gallery, some images are quite badly rendered (like the old 2nd gen pics), while others have their japanese name, others have english names, and the remaining have numbers. (Although the last one is just a picky pick, consistency would be somewhat nice)

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Perhaps this has been said before; is there a way to organize the avatar gallery; e.g. the sugimori art? It takes some time to find a certain pokemon, as it isn't numerically ordered (although I think this is vBulletin's fault, can't recall if it is possible to organize). Also, still inside the sugimori art gallery, some images are quite badly rendered (like the old 2nd gen pics), while others have their japanese name, others have english names, and the remaining have numbers. (Although the last one is just a picky pick, consistency would be somewhat nice)
Unfortunately not. It's impossible to deal with :(

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
In our constantly shifting age of evolving technology, what's the stance on custom avatars today Serebii? Edit: I'm aware it's a bandwidth issue, but isn't there a way to force a hotlink instead of going through the db?
I understand it's a hard coded VB thing. I've used a Forum that only used hosting off site, it wasn't VB, and most of the "regulars" just used the ones provided in the forum, about 20 of them used Skies of Arcadia's Fina, (It was their from day one, but no one noticed until the forum had nearly died, 6 years later. (and staff visit were not as regular as you think)(Actually the site died due to fact the only member of staff that made it had left, and the site it supported was now about a band that was defunct for 2 years.))

Plus, this site seems to attracts the Morons, which we would be trashing a lot of Avatars.

13_luckynumber

In the pokedex page, could you include a link to the animedex of each Pokemon. That would be quite useful

Also, in the anime character bios, could you use different picture of their Pokemon? By "different", I mean pictures that only feature that specific Pokemon, not share with any other different Pokemon and even their trainers. It's even better if you can have their full body and pictures when they do not use any moves or any silly action. E.g. in Ash's Page, Pikachu's picture has Ash in it; Bulbasaur has to share with Totodile; Sceptile is using Solar beam in his picture .

Another thing is that May's page should have picture of her new outfit, featured in DP saga; Jessie and james should have pictures of their black outfit

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
Probably been asked before, but are there plans to add Dream World artwork to the avatar databases?

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
We need newer, updated themes. these ones we have now look so 2000's. Make us some 2011 stuff, like, futuristic and awesome. please?

Status
Not open for further replies.