• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
Just a little tidbit idea I had. Although the themes do change the online status icon to the theme you have chosen for the forums. I just thought that possible you could pick a favorite Pokemon to show as your status icon, ie Shiny for Offline and Normal for Online. This doesn't quite vary from the themes but it does allow the users to pick their favorite pokemon to represent their forum status.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Probably been asked before, but are there plans to add Dream World artwork to the avatar databases?

I expect Serebii is waiting for a complete set, there are numerous BW pokemon missing, Deino and Golurk for example.

We need newer, updated themes. these ones we have now look so 2000's. Make us some 2011 stuff, like, futuristic and awesome. please?

Yes we do, but until a decision is made on upgrading to the newest version of vBulliten, there's been no progress on the 2 year old topic we have going in the mod forums about new themes. We've been discussing them since before HGSS.

Just a little tidbit idea I had. Although the themes do change the online status icon to the theme you have chosen for the forums. I just thought that possible you could pick a favorite Pokemon to show as your status icon, ie Shiny for Offline and Normal for Online. This doesn't quite vary from the themes but it does allow the users to pick their favorite pokemon to represent their forum status.

That would be a massive amount of work, and there aren't enough icons for all the pokemon. There are no 5th Trozei images.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I expect Serebii is waiting for a complete set, there are numerous BW pokemon missing, Deino and Golurk for example.
That could cause some "why aren't there XX?" threads..
Yes we do, but until a decision is made on upgrading to the newest version of vBulliten, there's been no progress on the 2 year old topic we have going in the mod forums about new themes. We've been discussing them since before HGSS.
You know it's nearly impossible to poke a Time Traveler with a Sonic Screw Driver.. Half the time I end up just with a Fez..
That would be a massive amount of work, and there aren't enough icons for all the pokemon. There are no 5th Trozei images.
Since Trozei is a 3rd Gen game, there are also no 4th Gen Pokémon in it, that I'm aware of.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Would this work for combating the spambots?

We know spambots post links, yes? Is it possible for us to disable new users, say, with less than 20 posts, from posting links? Or for new users (<20 posts again?) from opening new threads? This would definitely limit the amount of new threads and spam posts and whatnot, although it of course wouldn't stop them from joining.
Could this work?

[I posted this in the Spambot thread in Announcements but received no response...]

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
There are probably numerous things we could do to stop spambots that would place limits on new members. I can't see Serebii agreeing to anything that would put authentic members at a disadvantage. New Spambot prevention methods are being looked at.

chimkong

I had originally made the following post in this thread in Pokemon Discussion section

Firstly, congrat to you sir!

Secondly, you could've either put it in this thread, seeing as many people share their Pokemon experiences there. I don't really see any discussion point of this thread. Correct me otherwise.

I do have a suggestion for any mod reading this. Why not make a thread for Pokemon-related news in the Pokepoll section? This will make people's life easier in that it will save them from making new threads about their experiences, stories and news. Also it will prevent people who intently post in threads like this for increasing their post counts.

So what do you guys say about it?
~CK

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Is it possible to put a glitch pokemon aka Missing No. above Abomasnow and make a rule that you can't have that as your favorite pokemon, then spambots wouldn't get in right? Since they choose the top most pokemon on the favorite list.

Just offering any kind of solution I can.

Do you know how many people would choose Missingno if they had a chance?

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
True but if its the rules then they can't really unless they wanna be banned. But then again the complaints would filter in about wanting Missingno as a favorite pokemon lolz.

Then why don't we ban Abomnasnow as a favourite? Sorry if it actually happens to be your favourite, but you can't. What if Eevee, or Piakchu or Charizard were the one being chosen by adbots? Would you accept not having your favourite, because it would stop the adbots.

I can see where you are coming from, but a lot of people join the forums and don't realise there is a favourite pokemon option. A lot of people who joined before it was added may not realise it is there. There are a lot of defaults simply because it isn't an important feature. Basing our banning of adbots on it would be unfair.

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=486635

^Could fix the title of the thread. lol.

PMing a mod or admin would have been sufficient. Done now.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
Plus, the first option is automatically filled in for any member who joins and they have to go into their profile and change it to something other than Abomasnow later if they want to. That's why so many legitimate users who went inactive before that profile field was implemented have their favorite as Abomasnow. Anything in that field that the adbots automatically fill in would also be automatically filled in by legitimate users too, which we don't want to ban.

Is identifying adbots even a problem? They're really not that hard to spot when they post, and if they don't post then they're not really worth worrying too much about =\

Last edited:

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
^ But the thing is, they're looking for a way to not just identify them when they post, but if possible before they post, so we don't have to deal with tons of spam threads and posts and whatnot.

fhqwhgads

As for suggestions, is there any way to add(or have I been missing) a hard-delete for VMs?

Also, a way to hide smilies? I know there's a way to set your posts so it doesn't accidentally create them, but other than that, there's only hiding signatures, avatars, and images(which may include smilies, I don't honestly know).

Last edited:
^ But the thing is, they're looking for a way to not just identify them when they post, but if possible before they post, so we don't have to deal with tons of spam threads and posts and whatnot.

I'd rather solve the problem than fix the symptom, really. Find a way to stop the bots rather than just letting mods ban them a tad quicker. And let's be real here, how often do you visit the profile of someone who has never posted? And if they've never posted, and don't have any visitor messages, how often do you check out their About Me section?

Also, a way to hide smilies? I know there's a way to set your posts so it doesn't accidentally create them, but other than that, there's only hiding signatures, avatars, and images(which may include smilies, I don't honestly know).

I support this.

Last edited:

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I'd rather solve the problem than fix the symptom, really. Find a way to stop the bots than just letting mods ban them a tad quicker. And let's be real here, how often do you visit the profile of someone who has never posted? And if they've never posted, and don't have any visitor messages, how often do you check out their About Me section?

I agree with this; but until ReCAPTCHA is fixed or an alternative that works is found, the only thing we can do is try and stop the bots before they cause too much trouble. I've suggested setting restrictions on new members with less than 20 posts which restrict them post creating threads and/or posting links until they reach x amount of posts, but Joe doesn't want to place new members at a disadvantage, as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.