• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread™

Got a suggestion that you think will make the forums a better place?
Well look no further, new 2012 edition, now with less saturated fat but all the same flavours.

Things not to ask about
Seriously read this.

Name Changes
Explanation from RaZoR LeAf.

Custom Avatars
Explanation from JoshYEAH & Serebii.

Spam Forums
The Games forum may suit your desires.

New Server / Upgrade to latest VBulletin
We actually got the server fixed at the start of 2011, upgrading to a newer VBulletin is being considered.

Changes to the Infraction Point System
Any queries about said system will most likely be answered here.

Changes to the Mod Team
Any grievances you have with a moderator should be directed towards an admin (list near the bottom of this page).

Changes to the Sig Rules
They were changed way back in December 2009, and made a lot more user friendly, check them out here.

A Trade Forum
We have one that can be found here. We also have the Wifi-Chatroom. More information regarding the chatrooms can be found here.

The option to see Post Count
We implemented that! Check the top right hand side of your posts!

Donations
Serebii doesn't want donations, and likely never will.

Anything related to the Website and not the Forums
Go to this thread if you have anything to suggest regarding Serebii.net.

Fan Game Forums

Battlestar

TRC Boss
The restoration of Social Groups.
I can barely express how much me and numerous others would like the Social groups to be restored. I am still questioned of why they went away in the first place. This literally was the reason I and many others joined serebii; Social Groups.

I really hope this actually can be considered. I really don't want this idea just to be dismissed. I would be happy to help in working out issues that may arise in bringing back the social groups.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
I second the social groups thing.

Also, you know how in General Pokémon Discussion we got a thread that's basically a compilation of all closed threads in that forum, and whenever a thread gets closed, it gets merged into that one thread? I personally think that a better idea would be moving the threads to a separate forum, as opposed to merging them into one thread. The posts get all mixed up and it gets hard to tell sometimes which posts were for which thread.

~Ace

i can show you how
Award Badges like they have on Smogon, for example: Being a Moderator Badge, or Completing the Serebii's Battle Frontier Badge.

Cassiopeia

No more massacres.
The restoration of Social Groups.
I can barely express how much me and numerous others would like the Social groups to be restored. I am still questioned of why they went away in the first place. This literally was the reason I and many others joined serebii; Social Groups.

I really hope this actually can be considered. I really don't want this idea just to be dismissed. I would be happy to help in working out issues that may arise in bringing back the social groups.

Seems like you're doing just fine with your TRC thing. And didn't you quit serebii for three days then came back?
Hello SPPf,

After long, careful consideration by the staff, we have decided to disable the option for Social Groups on these forums.

The main reasoning behind this is, because of the way the moderation for them was set up, they were very difficult to moderate and did not receive much attention. As such, many groups were spammy, repetitive, or otherwise breaking the rules, and it was too difficult to keep up with removing them all.

The vast majority of Social Groups that actually followed the rules can be slightly tweaked and posted in the Clubs, Clans, Games, and other Forums (provided there is not already a very similar thread there).

We are making plans to make up for this loss in forum functions, but it is unlikely that Social Groups will ever return unless there are significant updates in the moderation options.

Resuggesting this

Battlestar

TRC Boss
What are you talking about? I sense a immense amount of smart alec-news from you. I am aware of the "reasoning" involved with the deletion of the groups. Which is why I am here to try and restore it. I just want to help in getting social groups back. I don't believe this should be dismissed so quickly but rather be debated and here what the community has to think.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
What are you talking about? I sense a immense amount of smart alec-news from you. I am aware of the "reasoning" involved with the deletion of the groups. Which is why I am here to try and restore it. I just want to help in getting social groups back. I don't believe this should be dismissed so quickly but rather be debated and here what the community has to think.

The thing is, the social groups were removed because they were immensely difficult to moderate and many groups were spammy etc. With many former social groups, it's more than possible to make them into a Club (provided you write a proper OP though and it meets all the rules in the Clubs Section). It's been said before that the only thing that will even result in the staff considering bringing social groups back would be significant improvements in the moderation options to make social groups easier to moderate.

The thing is, the social groups were removed because they were immensely difficult to moderate and many groups were spammy etc. With many former social groups, it's more than possible to make them into a Club (provided you write a proper OP though and it meets all the rules in the Clubs Section). It's been said before that the only thing that will even result in the staff considering bringing social groups back would be significant improvements in the moderation options to make social groups easier to moderate.

I keep hearing that but have no clue why this is. The issue at the moment is understanding what exactly the limitations in the moderation options prevented in terms of efficiency, and finding a good way to correct them. To my knowledge, it's an issue that's been pushed aside and ignored. Of course, I could be wrong and the staff is working dilligently to fix it.

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Firstly - with the moderation issues, one could not select individual posts easily, or infract users easily (directly at least), reporting for it was messy, it was full of spam and flaming and clubs served their purpose without any of those problems. But that's been mentioned when they were removed.
To my knowledge, it's an issue that's been pushed aside and ignored. Of course, I could be wrong and the staff is working dilligently to fix it.
The only way you can 'fix' the issue is for VB to have a better system. You cannot modify the system easily (otherwise we would have done it in the first place). Other similar systems if they exist cost money and/or require hacks, the latter being something Joe does not implement. We cannot make our own for that requires somewone who actually knows how to make it and implement a hack...so yeah.

If a good social groups system is ever made/the old one is fixed we will consider it but cannot do anything about it before than. For the time being, its current state is terribad for too many reasons proven in practise and so it will not be re-implemented. Note also us mods had many a discussion on the issue. In the end the cons just simply outweighed what positives it had to offer, and when Clubs offer pretty much the same thing without the spam and moderation issues... it's pointless.

kuzronk

1 Reputation Comment
I posted this in the 2011 thread
Remove the rule in the Nintendo Games forum about super smash bros once we get more info on the 4th game
They should put the clubs in sub folders Pokemon Clubs and Other Clubs
Sort games more eazy like a Mafia subboard with games like Big Brother in it

Blazios

More pointing out small errors than suggestions:

First of all, my User Title should currently be named Sinnoh Factory Champion, yet I've reset it to default several times now and it's still listed as Sinnoh Battle Tower Champion.

Might as well bring up the Cobal/Cobble Badge UT mistake again as well.

This section of the FAQ still misspells signature as signiture.

Also, in the B2W2 forum, the description says "Discuss the sequel to Black and White here!" Should it not be sequels?

Dangertrout

Would it make sense to combine all the shiny discussion threads into just one?
I see one for each generation, in which other generations are discussed anyways.
I also recall seeing a generic one in the general pokemon discussion sub-forum.
Since the shiny hunters tend to hunt in multiple games at once, maybe just the one general one would be better? Just a thought..

G50

No longer posting
Would it be possible to have a signature rule against overly flashing pictures? I mean like excessive.

http://serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=537278

^ like in this example here, (inside the spoiler), although not a signature; it's the type of picture I'm referring to.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
The members' names are bolded at the moment in the postbit section thing (next to their avatar, above their user title) and this causes them to look identical the the smods' names. The same applies for moderators' names being bolded + italicised, like the names of admins. I know we have the userbars to distinguish between staff and regular members, but is there a way to unbold regular members' and moderators' names?

edit; I'm just going to list everything in this post ok.

• I was just logged out of the forums when I opened this thread link in a new tab from the main page on the forum. I clicked on the thread link in the 'Last Post' column of the table on the main page.
  • Is it just me, or is the report button missing?

***Yes, I realise a lot of what I'm posting are bugs or genuine mistakes, but I figured I'd make things easy and just post them all in this thread.

Last edited:
Back before SPPf was upgraded, the Ver 9.0 skin had little Celebis that told you whether there were new posts or not. Now it's boring, old speech bubbles. Any plans on bringing them back?

G50

No longer posting
zhanton - It's on the bottom left hand corner of each post.

As for my suggestion - The report button to be larger and a much easier to locate color.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Back before SPPf was upgraded, the Ver 9.0 skin had little Celebis that told you whether there were new posts or not. Now it's boring, old speech bubbles. Any plans on bringing them back?

Already done...all the icons will be updated for each style, we were just in a huge time constraint

Status
Not open for further replies.