• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
Can you give a full guide on how to use tables in the faq section, if it does work? I have to go trial-and-error to try it out.

So far I can only do the table indent, and that's all:

Example:
Code:
[TABLE]table[/TABLE]

Results:
table

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Tables never worked on the old forums (or at least how I understand them to on vBulliten), it hadn't crossed my mind to test them on the new forum.

*************************Yellow*************Blue*******[/tr]
************Red*************Orange*************Purple*******[/tr]
************Blue*************Green*************BLUE*******[/tr]

No, still doesn't work how I understand them to, so if they work in a diffierent way, I'd have to check it out. There's such a little demand for them, it's never been a big priority.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
That may happen after all the styles are done but don't hope too much on it. (Other people have also raised it too). I would want them to be clearer too though.

Cassiopeia

No more massacres.
Tables never worked on the old forums (or at least how I understand them to on vBulliten), it hadn't crossed my mind to test them on the new forum.

*************************Yellow*************Blue*******[/tr]
************Red*************Orange*************Purple*******[/tr]
************Blue*************Green*************BLUE*******[/tr]

No, still doesn't work how I understand them to, so if they work in a diffierent way, I'd have to check it out. There's such a little demand for them, it's never been a big priority.

Weren't they banned because they messed with the formatting of signatures?

Twentington

Outta here!
PLEASE remove the rule banning Super Smash Bros. threads in Nintendo Discussion.

This post speaks for me in this case.

I agree with everything stated in the post I linked to. It's been 3 and a half years now, and we can't discuss it in our social groups, where ARE we supposed to discuss it? In addition, it has been confirmed that another game in the series WILL be released, when more details come, well... again, where are we supposed to discuss it?

(ducks to avoid tomatoes that may come my way)

Last edited:

Grey Wind

PLEASE remove the rule banning Super Smash Bros. threads in Nintendo Discussion.

I agree with everything stated in the post I linked to. It's been 3 and a half years now, and we can't discuss it in our social groups, where ARE we supposed to discuss it? In addition, it has been confirmed that another game in the series WILL be released, when more details come, well... again, where are we supposed to discuss it?

Just because Rave isn't a mod any more doesn't make his decision any less valid. Smash Bros threads invariably spiral out of control into bitching and fighting, and they never end well. Just look at the last one, there was pages of debate and flaming. People seemingly aren't able to control themselves enough to post properly.

It's really up to the mods, but the last thread showed that nothing good comes from those threads.

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets

If you look up any of the past Smash Threads, you'd see the same thing. Members posting "guess list" and movesets, then the Tourny guys come with their no items bs, then the causal players until all of that turns in a massive flame war generating 100's of posts in just a few days.

Smash threads are banned because SPPF members don't know how to control themselves in them, it's doesn't matter how long the rule has been there, mods have made exceptions to the rule multiple times in the last three years and the same thing has happened.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
If you look up any of the past Smash Threads, you'd see the same thing. Members posting "guess list" and movesets, then the Tourny guys come with their no items bs.

Sort of like the Competitive Battling section and the 'banned Pokemon' bs. So why not ban the Competitive Pokemon battling discussion too? Seems kind of hypocritical to me. And I'm not trying to argue against having a competitive battling section. I understand why we have that. I was simply making an observation.

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Sort of like the Competitive Battling section and the 'banned Pokemon' bs. So why not ban the Competitive Pokemon battling discussion too? Seems kind of hypocritical to me.

That's not even a good comparison, this site is based around Pokemon. There's going to be a section for it because of demand, even of there are a few morons making a mess, the majority aren't. Unlike Smash threads where 90% of the post are pointless speculation, and arguing.

Twentington

Outta here!
I made the suggestion for a reason - the post that initiated the ban said 'Till then, you all have social groups, use them.' We don't even have those now, so where the h*** are we supposed to discuss the game?

Grey Wind

Spoiler: other forums exist.

People are clearly unable to discuss SSB here, but I'm sure that there are forums galore out there where they can.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
That's not even a good comparison, this site is based around Pokemon. There's going to be a section for it because of demand, even of there are a few morons making a mess, the majority aren't. Unlike Smash threads where 90% of the post are pointless speculation, and arguing.

Uh, yeah it is, since this board is pretty much the Internet voice of the Nintendo fandom. As it is, there has always been demand to allow the Smash Bros threads to continue, and there always will be, hence the above post. But as I was saying before, my post wasn't necessarily a suggestion or a criticism, just an observation on something that's kind of an unfortunate fact of life.

People are clearly unable to discuss SSB here, but I'm sure that there are forums galore out there where they can.

And this validates that thread that was locked a little bit ago, because this is one of the points that I brought up there. Telling people to leave a site because they have some constructive criticisms, instead of listening to them, is unprofessional and makes you look elitist. All it does is makes you look like you really don't care.

Last edited:

Twentington

Outta here!

I was talking about here on Serebii. I don't want to have to make yet another username, password, etc. etc. just to talk about a game. I would imagine there's other people who would agree.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I was talking about here on Serebii. I don't want to have to make yet another username, password, etc. etc. just to talk about a game. I would imagine there's other people who would agree.

I agree, sort of. But in this case, it's kind of a trap.

Despite what I said above (and yes, it's true unfortunately), the unfortunate fact is, I've seen those arguments happen. So in reality, there really is no telling if they'll start up again. Maybe they won't, but given what I've seen here, they could. That is why I can't directly suggest re-allowing those threads. Maybe if there was a section with <groan> rules to prevent that. And then the site becomes even LESS streamlined.

But at the same time, arguments could start for almost any reason on this site. For instance, bring up move limits in the Anime section and you'll turn most threads into arguments, almost guaranteed. You won't even be meaning to do it, but it'll still happen. I've seen this happen here too. I've been there when it's happened, and I'm sure the Mods have too. That Spyro thread in the games section where Joe had to personally intervene to stop an argument that had gone borderline flame war. That Sonic Overrated thread that seems to have been made just to solely bash one or two members. These are just examples. It can be anything.

And therein lies the trap, and by extension, my point. What do you do? Do you just ban discussion about everything that could potentially start an argument? You wouldn't have much of a forum if you did that. Do you let it go and have it turn into a flame war? Not exactly a pleasant alternative. So yeah, not an easy issue.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

And this validates that thread that was locked a little bit ago, because this is one of the points that I brought up there. Telling people to leave a site because they have some constructive criticisms, instead of listening to them, is unprofessional and makes you look elitist. All it does is makes you look like you really don't care.
Way to blow it massively out of proportion. We've back up our point perfectly. People here are, in general, unable to talk about SSB without it turning into a spammy flame war. I never told him to leave the site, I told him to find another place where people can talk about the game properly.

Furthermore, "bring back Smash threads" is hardly constructive criticism. As jb#s and I have said, SSB threads invariably spiral into a cesspit of spam and arguing. It's not the mod's fault that people her are too immature to handle it properly.

Maybe if you could actually back up your "constructive criticism" things would be changed, but so far all you've said is 'BRING BACK SMASH THREADS'. Also, you can't see the mod forum, so complaining that your criticisms are ignored really falls flat on its face, doesn't it?

Well it's crap that you can't discuss a game because of other member's behaviour, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Way to blow it massively out of proportion. We've back up our point perfectly. People here are, in general, unable to talk about SSB without it turning into a spammy flame war. I never told him to leave the site, I told him to find another place where people can talk about the game properly.

Telling someone to find another site is implying that they should leave this site. It is unprofessional, elitist and doesn't do a thing to prove any point. Maybe you weren't intending for it to sound that way, but that's how it sounds to anyone that the post is directed at.

And I'm not saying to bring back those threads. I understand full well why they're not allowed.

But it's like I said, arguments can start about anything, whether it's move limits in the Anime section, Sonic, or Spyro, or the banned Pokemon Smogon lists. Where is the line drawn on this? Do you just disallow talk about anything that could start an argument? You wouldn't have much of a forum if you did that. So yeah, all I'm saying is it's not an easy issue. If I had a point to make, there it is, plain as day.

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
The arguments in that thread started because most of that forum didn't like those 2 users. With smash, everyone is fine until someone says something like "Cloud should be in the next SSB", then it all falls apart from there.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
The arguments in that thread started because most of that forum didn't like those 2 users.

Somehow, I doubt that makes it alright to start a flame war. It's just sad that it took Joe intervening to get it to stop.

But as I said, that was just an example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.