• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread™

Got a suggestion that you think will make the forums a better place?
Now with 100% less twerking!

Things not to ask about
Seriously read this, it's changed a bit since last year.

Name Changes
Name changes now happen twice a year. Hurrah!

Custom Avatars
Explanation from JoshYEAH & Serebii.
Still not going to happen.

Spam Forums
The Games forum may suit your desires.
Alternatively, open a word document and write what you want in that. No harm done to anyone, and you've vented your spam.

New Server / Upgrade to latest VBulletin
We got the server fixed at the start of 2011, and upgraded to the newest VBulletin in March 2012. We're still using it since!

Changes to the Infraction Point System
Any queries about said system will most likely be answered here.
If you want to contest an infraction, then you should do so with the mod who issued it. If you still wish to go further, then post in the Staff Contact Forum.

Changes to the Mod Team
Any grievances you have with a moderator should be directed towards an admin (list near the bottom of this page), or posted in the Staff Contact Forum.

Changes to the Sig Rules
They were changed way back in December 2009, and made a lot more user friendly, check them out here.

Donations
Serebii doesn't want donations, and likely never will.

Anything related to the Website and not the Forums
Go to this thread if you have anything to suggest regarding Serebii.net.

Social Groups
Not happening, don't even bother.

Fan Game Forums

Last edited by a moderator:

Vernikova

Champion
Has been suggested before by someone but I'd like to re-suggest the idea of merging Alt Anime and Alt Manga.

Alt Manga only has five threads in it and in the past two weeks only three of them have been posted in. Last 100 days there have only been ten threads there too. Alt Anime isn't that active either and if you trim away some of the stickies there, you can just have a single Alt Anime/Manga section.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
This is pretty minor, but could the links in the OP be left as the default colour? On skins with light backgrounds (I use vB default, not sure if there are other skins with light backgrounds) the text for those links doesn't really show up.

Given the massive amount of avatars in the Sugimori art category, could that entire category be broken up into six different categories, grouped by regions, to make searching for Sugi avatars a lot easier?

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Okay this is kind of a strange suggestion but whatever. I was glancing through the ASB section and noticed something. A while back there was a Pokemon TCG game in the game section, but it never really caught on, maybe the TCG section of the site could do something similar to the ASB section, play card games, with a ref and 2 other players, and a new thread for each battle. Idk, thought I'd at least put the idea out there.

Also, here is a link to the TCG game that was in the Games section.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Has been suggested before by someone but I'd like to re-suggest the idea of merging Alt Anime and Alt Manga.

Alt Manga only has five threads in it and in the past two weeks only three of them have been posted in. Last 100 days there have only been ten threads there too. Alt Anime isn't that active either and if you trim away some of the stickies there, you can just have a single Alt Anime/Manga section.
This is currently being discussed by staff.

This is pretty minor, but could the links in the OP be left as the default colour? On skins with light backgrounds (I use vB default, not sure if there are other skins with light backgrounds) the text for those links doesn't really show up.

Given the massive amount of avatars in the Sugimori art category, could that entire category be broken up into six different categories, grouped by regions, to make searching for Sugi avatars a lot easier?
I'll fix the links. Thank c+ping text colours with the text, I suppose! As for the avatars thing, I suppose that's up to admins. Although I think only Joe thus far as ever uploaded them?
Okay this is kind of a strange suggestion but whatever. I was glancing through the ASB section and noticed something. A while back there was a Pokemon TCG game in the game section, but it never really caught on, maybe the TCG section of the site could do something similar to the ASB section, play card games, with a ref and 2 other players, and a new thread for each battle. Idk, thought I'd at least put the idea out there.

Also, here is a link to the TCG game that was in the Games section.
Hmm, maybe try asking the mod of that section (SkittyOnWailord) what they think about it.

I'm not sure, but can one have mock TCG battles on the official Pokemon site?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I can foresee there being issues with that though. Like with the Naruto manga thread for instance; that thread contains tons of plot spoilers about events that haven't occurred in the anime yet, and people may enter the thread accidentally if the two sub-forums merge thinking that it's an anime thread and have those events spoiled for them.

Grei

not the color
Since it just happened to me again, figured I'd present this standing issue in this new thread:

The reputation system is hardcore abused all of the time. It's a neat idea, but nobody who uses it seems to understand its purpose. Reputation should be given when someone posts something helpful or useful. I think I have maybe two reputation points, out of my current 22 points, that are actually because I did something remotely useful. Every other instance is because someone agreed or--more frustratingly--disagreed with my opinion.

Most recently: I posted my opinion on attack animations in the Anime section, and got negatively repped because, and I quote:
"I disagree completely."

This is NOT the actual purpose of this system, and it's nowhere near the first time this has happened. I'd be well into the next level of Rep if it wasn't for people abusing the system like this. I know I'm not even close to the only one experiencing this problem, either.

Might I suggest a "Like" option? Other vbulletin forums do this and it accomplishes the positive traits of our Rep system, without the room for total abuse and negativity. Abusive posts can and should be reported, but otherwise, nobody should have an aspect of their account degraded because someone disagrees with them.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Hmm, maybe try asking the mod of that section (SkittyOnWailord) what they think about it.

I'm not sure, but can one have mock TCG battles on the official Pokemon site?
Thanks I'll do that.

I believe to do have a TCG game on there, but they only have the newer sets of cards, not a anything from DPP back. I could be wrong though.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I can foresee there being issues with that though. Like with the Naruto manga thread for instance; that thread contains tons of plot spoilers about events that haven't occurred in the anime yet, and people may enter the thread accidentally if the two sub-forums merge thinking that it's an anime thread and have those events spoiled for them.

So long as one thread is marked as a manga thread and one as an anime thread I don't forsee too many issues. A while back, in the entertainment section, there was a thread about Game of Thrones (the TV series) and another about a Song of Ice and Fire (the book series). People who only watched the show didn't go into the book thread because it was made clear there would be untagged book spoilers, and people who both read the books and watched the show knew that when they were in the show thread not to post spoilers for the show. Everyone got along well, but the threads died from lack of activity.

Vernikova

Champion
This is currently being discussed by staff.

swog

Just put [manga spoilers] or something in the title. It'll be their own fault after that.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Just put [manga spoilers] or something in the title. It'll be their own fault after that.

That would be a good idea, but unfortunately some people have trouble with literacy or might just ignore the thread title and spoiler warning altogether and post in the manga thread anyway to discuss the anime. It's happened before and it gets annoying when people start bringing up the anime in that thread, which is somewhat different from the manga. It's a burden on everyone else who posts there basically. I personally don't see the need to merge the alt. anime and manga sub-forums together. Just my two cents.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I'm pretty sure this sounds pretty weird, but can we have a major fanfiction recommendation thread? My blog post on Bulbagarden was not exactly fruitful and TVTropes page doesn't exactly update that fast. It might end up devolving into self-promotion "nightmare", but it's a risk I'm willing to take in order to hear people's suggestions.

In addition, can we have a proper future games wishlist section as opposed to the massive threads in the general Pokémon discussion and the competitive Pokémon discussion sections? I know it would be impossible to manage, but it would probably be more easier to navigate the suggestions and the ideas.

As a last note, can we have merch discussion section? I think that would be better than seeing many merch threads in the general discussion section(in fact, the general discussion section can probably be more partitioned).

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm pretty sure this sounds pretty weird, but can we have a major fanfiction recommendation thread? My blog post on Bulbagarden was not exactly fruitful and TVTropes page doesn't exactly update that fast. It might end up devolving into self-promotion "nightmare", but it's a risk I'm willing to take in order to hear people's suggestions.
The yearly fic awards sorta count as a recommendation thread(s) - after all, people vote for what is the best of the year. Second post of this thread links to all of those. There's also the fanfic catalog thread - a blurb usually accompanies each entry too.

In addition, can we have a proper future games wishlist section as opposed to the massive threads in the general Pokémon discussion and the competitive Pokémon discussion sections? I know it would be impossible to manage, but it would probably be more easier to navigate the suggestions and the ideas.
I don't think there's enough activity to warrant a whole section for it, really. And as you said, it would be terrible to manage (people will argue about why other people's ideas suck in their opinion, etc).

As a last note, can we have merch discussion section? I think that would be better than seeing many merch threads in the general discussion section(in fact, the general discussion section can probably be more partitioned).
Again - is there anywhere near enough threads about it to warrant a whole section? Aslo, one doesn't want to partisition the GPD section so that it becomes inactive.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
The reputation system is hardcore abused all of the time. It's a neat idea, but nobody who uses it seems to understand its purpose. Reputation should be given when someone posts something helpful or useful. I think I have maybe two reputation points, out of my current 22 points, that are actually because I did something remotely useful. Every other instance is because someone agreed or--more frustratingly--disagreed with my opinion.

I have to strongly agree with this post. It seems like either people are deliberately abusing the system to simply state that they agree or disagree with something a member said (a post that could just as easily be relegated to a VM or a PM), or they might not be aware that the a Reputation System is supposed to be used to help members find out which members contribute the most useful posts and topics. If a member posts something useful, and is 'bad-repped' because another member simply disagrees with part of their post with no regard to the entire post or simply because they don't like the person who posted it, then that defeats the purpose of the system, and makes the member's posts appear to be less useful than they actually are. And this makes people less inclined to be honest with their posts on this site.

So one suggestion is that a simple 'like' button or similar change would probably be more useful than a straight-up Reputation System, given that this is clearly an ongoing problem (hence all the people posting about it).

However, there's another suggestion that a lot of people often overlook. A minimum character requirement for all reputation comments. It wouldn't have to be that big, maybe 100 to 200 characters. But I think it could help to weed out a large chunk of the people that do abuse the system. Plus, it will be considerably more obvious when people are abusing it.

Last edited:

shinyclauncher1234

the shinyclauncher12
This is kinda small but I was thinking that you should have a thread were you could have cloners post their FC ign and a link to there page,that way people that are trying to find cloners can easily acess a cloner and users don't have to scavenge around for them,as I am a cloner myself I know that the supply and demand for cloners is out of wack,so if we had a mass thread for them both people could be happy this is a small suggestion but is big in the long run.

Plz consider this :)

Alola Adventurer

Any chance you can make the character limit for Private Messages limitless, or make strengthen it to a larger number of characters?

Playful Latios

@Soul Dew
Any chance you can make the character limit for Private Messages limitless, or make strengthen it to a larger number of characters?

You don't have to have long quote trees in PMs. Just how long is the message you are trying to send? The more characters allowed, the more space it takes up in the database. While it isn't small when dealing with just one PM, when you consider how many members and PMs there are, it adds up quickly.