• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

KillerDraco

If you're going to delete someone's thread and move its contents, please tell them.

Don't leave them in the dark, thinking they never posted it, or that an error occurred. An inbox message would be nice.

Don't be turds, guys. Be cool. Thanks. ☺

View your own profile -> My Activity Tab -> Your username Tab

If your post does not show up there, it's been deleted. If it's been moved/merged, it will still be there but will redirect you to where it's been moved/merged to. You are never truly in the dark about what has happened to your threads.

In addition, I would also point out that it is the member's responsibility to ensure that they're posting in the right section and/or not making redundant threads.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
View your own profile -> My Activity Tab -> Your username Tab

If your post does not show up there, it's been deleted. If it's been moved/merged, it will still be there but will redirect you to where it's been moved/merged to. You are never truly in the dark about what has happened to your threads.

In addition, I would also point out that it is the member's responsibility to ensure that they're posting in the right section and/or not making redundant threads.

Kinda hard to do that when the criteria is dictated at the (current) mod's discretion.

But whatevz. I shall do my best to remain on top of my posts. Thanks for replying.

KillerDraco

Kinda hard to do that when the criteria is dictated at the (current) mod's discretion.

But whatevz. I shall do my best to remain on top of my posts. Thanks for replying.

Well for your convenience, a rules thread was added to the Pokepolls section. And several other sections already have similar rules threads.

Furthermore, as a result of this, if a thread needs to be moved or deleted, then it will result in the thread poster receiving notification in the form of a warning or infraction for "disobeying the rules of a specific subforum". So you get your wish; people will know immediately if their thread has been deleted or relocated.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
joe can you make the skype functions work with the mobile app or this that a vbulletin thing?

Unlike other censored words, the word sh*t is censored just fine on its own but fails to be censored after adding anything else (like sh*tty). On the topic, is the option to uncensor words a possibility?

Also if you can please fix the butterfree avatar from the new trozei that would be nice. The current one displays [your username]'s avatar

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
joe can you make the skype functions work with the mobile app or this that a vbulletin thing?

I've done some testing The way I understand it, it's the way Skype Android app (Doesn't) works more than VBulletin. The "Skype:" URI is called and, My Android tablet (Nexus 7 2013 running Android 6.0.1, to be exact) has a mixed response.. Firefox app does recognise the link and Pulls up the App where the thing doesn't follow through. Chrome does a Google Search on Skype:USERNAME?add Username here is replacing the actual User I used to test it out on. It still works fine on my PC Firefox 43/Windows 10/Skype 7 (All current, except for Firefox, as it's beta.)

In Short: I think the issue is actually Skype Mobile not VBulletin.

Last edited:

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Happy 2016 everyone! As science and technology marches on, the standards for displays and bandwidth increase. I read the rules for signatures, and though I agree with the height restrictions (I actually think it's a bit much, TBH), the width restrictions I'm not sure about in the context of 2016. Those dimensions made sense back eight years ago, but hardly anyone runs a 4:3 monitor anymore, and with 4K on the horizon as the upcoming standard, would it not make sense to update the standards to match a minimum baseline of 720p monitor resolutions? This is something that I think could easily be solved by addressing not a flat increase in resolution for signature size, but instead for a proportional change in aspect ratio to reflect modern standards.

Doing the math, switching the current signature limits from the 4:3 standard to an equivalent 16:9 standard yields the following results:

4 / 3 = 1.3333
1.3333 * 420 = 560
600 / 560 = 1.071428

16 / 9 = 1.7778
1.7778 * 420 = 746.6667
746.6667 * 1.071428 = 800

Therefore, if updating to modern aspect ratios, the new dimensions should be 420x800. It's not significantly larger, but it's certainly something that allows for more flexibility, and IMO lends itself to the shape of modern monitors a bit better. What do you guys think? It's been many many years since the last time signature sizes were looked at. I'd say it's definitely worth taking into consideration.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Rolina, you would have a point on sig size considering computer monitors, except there are several other devices people access the forum, aside from people stuck with old computers and data limits. That's not an official statement that it'll stay the same, but just that I think there's other factors that would need to be considered.

One spoiler tag is enough, and while I hardly consider their appearance streamline, one is more streamline then ten, which is pretty much the reason the rule doesn't just specify nesting spoilers.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to make a break line when posting, so that probably works for signatures too.

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Phones and tablets, right? At the rate those are evolving and the resolutions they are getting, I'd say that it doesn't really change my argument much - if anything, it kind of shows that in 2-3 years the signature size is likely to be considered comically small. Still, don't just dismiss it out of hand. It would certainly be nice if a serious discussion regarding them would take place. It's been four years since those rules were touched, and things have changed since then - standards specially in the mobile space have drastically improved.

As for the spoiler tag, ten is an extreme example and a rather blatant exaggeration. I'd say 3 is a good max - enough to set three rows of info and leave it at that. Enough to have some organization, but not so much to be abusive.

There is no support for a horizontal rule in any situation that I can find on this forum.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Considering most people hold their phones vertically, evolution of phones supports that we make the signature limit narrower. And I didn't dismiss it, I said there would have to be a lot of considerations.

Considering I'd seen people use 12, it's not an exaggeration; you gave no indication of how many you thought should be permissible.

Well, I may be mistaken, but I was pretty sure I'd seen hr used on SPPF.

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
@SiggySize: True enough. Though I'm curious - how does the forum software phone browsing? Does it have a mobile mode, or is it just too old to support it? And is there a more modern version of the forum software that could use it?

@Spoilers: Eh, I just assumed that y'all would find a small but manageable number to be fair. I've been here an afternoon, while you've managed the place far longer I've been on some of my regular sites. Figured you'd know the userbase enough to gauge what they could be responsible with. My personal number is three, but for all I knew y'all could have allowed for up to 5.

@HR: Eh, hard to tell with php. Every different site does things differently. You have no idea how many different ways I've seen people handle [imgleft] and [imgright] tags. Odds are likely you'll see me asking about them before too long.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Not entirely sure. I know it works on mobile, but I not involved in any of the code stuff here. Irrelevant though as it still shows signatures.

Figured you'd know the userbase enough to gauge what they could be responsible with.
We do, it's one.

You can do that with

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Most mobile adaptations of forum software cut out siggies from what I've seen, mainly because forum software just isn't optimized for mobile at all. It'd have to have an entirely different layout for mobile, and signatures would likely only be allowed to be a single line long. Maybe if there were separate signatures for mobile and proper viewing, but I don't see that getting adopted anywhere, sadly.

Wow, it was really abused that much? That's a shame. Classic case of "this is why we can't have nice things"...

...That's an easy test, let me check it.

fxoKZl8.gif
This is Mab.
She's Shinju's Gardevoir.
She's been with Shinju since the start of her journey.​

Nope, only one line, and it was at the bottom. What I'm talking about would have had ALL that test to the side of the image, kind of like how newspapers work. That just throws an image on left alignment, which everything already is to begin with. I'm talking something more like this (please forgive the external link):

http://s7.zetaboards.com/GoldenSunrise/single/?p=8094416&t=9251491

Notice how all the text is aligned to the left, while the pic is to the right? Notice how they share the same vertical space? That's what I'm talking about. Having this style of pic is a godsend for making well organized profiles that don't take up ridiculous amounts of room. Apart from these tags, the only other way to imitate this effect is to use tables, and lord knows that's a horrible idea.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
You need to end it with [/LEFT] But, no, text wrap isn't supported. And tables aren't useable here, for reasons you can obviously imagine.

Also, this thread isn't really for testing stuff and/or getting help. So if you want additional tag help, feel free to ask over in the Help & Newbie Lounge sub-forum.

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
I did. Preview showed that it would have left the
tag there had I not. And tables aren't useful anywhere, they're a horrible abomination no matter what forums you use and you were perfectly right in purging them from existence. Besides, if you must do tables, ASCII tables look better than anything forums can throw up anyways. But yeah, that's what I meant when I spoke of IMGLEFT and IMGRIGHT. Those tags are just the first versions I learned of, I've since seen things like CLASS tags as well.

But I digress, that's not why I came here. It was the signature size. I'll keep an eye out to see if any discussion gets made on it between staff members. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and the idea will be adopted. Anywho, thanks for your assistance.​

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
Why does stuff in spoilers count towards the sig dimensions? Don't spoilers prevent large files from loading unless prompted to open?

Id really wouldve enjoyed having more sig space back then, and I'm sure people still do now. I mean if i had a lot of images to share in my sig I could keep some of them in spoilers to keep it clean and organized. I think this would be a great idea for people who wanna share some of their art or whatever. However I think the file size limit should still remain tbe same.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Why does stuff in spoilers count towards the sig dimensions? Don't spoilers prevent large files from loading unless prompted to open?
I don't believe hiding it in a spoiler stops the file/s within from being loaded when the page is. I imagine it is possible to do, but given this forum doesn't do forum add-ons I doubt there's anything fancy to the spoiler tags we have here and would be surprised if the default prevents stuff from being loaded until clicked. It's simplistic, doesn't allow you to toggle whether it is open or closed, etc.
Wow, it was really abused that much? That's a shame. Classic case of "this is why we can't have nice things"...
It's true, sadly - bunch of people did abuse spoiler tags in their signature, so the rule was placed in response to that some years ago.

I'll bring up the discussion regarding signature sizes to the rest of staff. That said, I've seen some evidence that compared to non-Pokemon forums we generally afford more space than most for signatures. ;p We'll see what comes of it.

Rocxidi

The Jim Reaper
I was thinking you should set a rule in which spoilers can hold basically another signature in terms of size, or maybe smaller, without increasing the file size limit regardless of whether the gifs, pics etc are in the spoiler. I dont know how hard it is to handle a spoiler compared to a gif, so maybe slightly decrease the file size limits for people trying to stuff things in their spoilers (though i dont think spoilers have been a problem regarding file size before).

Keep every other rule the same, specifically the one limiting spoiler use

WitchRolina

Fulminous Witch
Yeah, the problem is how most forum software handles stuff in spoiler tags. Even if you've got everything in a nice manageable size, it still loads everything all at once, and though it's rarely a problem on the client-side anymore what with better internet speeds globally, it's likely that it could cause some strain serverside. It's why I specifically requested that limited multiple tags be allowed so long as when extended they don't breach size dimensions. To add onto that... sometimes they just don't work like they're supposed to for no good reason. Sure, this can usually be fixed by a quick f5, sometimes erring on the side of caution's a better plan.

Of course, the webmaster here would know better than I, so they'll probably be able to give you a better explanation as to how all that stuff works out.

@Boban: Yeah, you do - vertically at least. Your Horizontal dimensions seem small, but the vertical ones seem large.

Last edited:

~Emolga~

Just A Crazy Fangirl
Alright, this is probably the best idea i've had in awhile, but it may sound stupid at first so bear with me here.

I think we should have extended signatures. I do not mean giving the signatures more characters or anything like that.

I mean a thread that we could post extra things inside of that we could not fit in our signature due to signature limits.

Still sound dumb? Well i'm terrible at explaining things so i'm not surprised. However, if you want to see what I actually mean, check the link below to see where I got this idea from (and a good idea of what it will look like).

Link.