• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

Alola Adventurer

You don't have to have long quote trees in PMs. Just how long is the message you are trying to send? The more characters allowed, the more space it takes up in the database. While it isn't small when dealing with just one PM, when you consider how many members and PMs there are, it adds up quickly.

They vary. I understand if you can't, though.
I once tried sending someone a chapter of a fanfic I wrote and the chapter ended up going past the character limit,
so I had to split it up into 2 halves. I'll stick to this method if the database's space in concerned.

Last edited:

Mister_SGG

Perhaps this has been asked and answered but why is there no new set of user ranks for the Kalos region? If there is no reason other than it has been forgotten I'd suggest including those.

Also very small nitpick I noticed: at the bottom of the Rules where it links to the Infraction Point System, "infraction" is misspelled as "infration".

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
There's one other thing I have to mention about the Reputation system that I stupidly forgot to mention. It's a little thing, but it bugs me to no end. And I think I might be the first person on this site that has ever brought this up.

The fact is, the Reputation System provides an escape clause for members to avoid having to discuss the topic at hand on the forums. Now consider this against the whole point of a message board, which is to have discussions about various topics. When you have an outlet where people can say anything without the person in question being able to respond, it defeats the whole purpose of a message board.

This is one of the reasons why Reputation systems rarely work on message boards. It sounds good on paper, but when you get right down to it, isn't it better to just discuss the topic with the person on the forum itself?

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
not really. the point of rep is to provide positive rep for people whose posts are good or provide constructive feedback for people whose posts are bad. responding with those things in a normal thread would be considered spam.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
not really. the point of rep is to provide positive rep for people whose posts are good or provide constructive feedback for people whose posts are bad. responding with those things in a normal thread would be considered spam.

But the thing is, many people don't use it for that. They use it to say whether they agree with a post or not, often without a reason. That's not constructive criticism. That's just agreeing or disagreeing with someone, and I doubt that's the same as finding a post helpful or not finding it helpful. All it does is disinclines people from being honest on this site.

Then you'll have people posting comments explaining why they gave reputation the way they did. These people often have valid explanations, but here's the thing. Nearly every comment I've gotten dealing with my reputation (where someone's actually left a valid explanation), I could respond to if it was posted in a topic. I would have a response for most of them, not to mention most would be on topic and not spam, because they have to do directly with the topic. However, not only is it impossible to respond to reputation comments, it's impossible to know who posted them. This is what makes it an escape clause to avoid discussing the topic on the forums. They can post something in the reputation comments, and there's no way to respond or know who posted it. That is why it defeats the purpose of a message board. One of the comments I got posted a question that I could have answered. I don't even know how a person asks a question as a reason for giving them reputation, but that's what happened.

But then again, there are some things which just defy explanation. 'Your feelings seem pretty accurate.' What does that even mean? It makes no sense.

The point I would make is this. It seems to me that at the very least, many people don't seem to realize what a reputation system is supposed to be used for. As you said yourself, it is supposed to be used as a form of constructive commentary, yet many people don't use it in this manner. Many people use it to simply agree or disagree with someone (like button?). And those that do use it constructively often have enough material to simply make it a post on the topic in question, causing lost opportunities for discussion.

That is the reason I suggested two ways to counter this. First, a Like button (or something similar) where people could just click it when they see a post that they find useful or that they just in general liked. Or, a character minimum for reputation comments. This would go a long way to curb a lot of what does happen (and probably also help weed out people that do abuse the system).

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Can we have Kalos minisprites/smilies soon, please?

loop721

Fly in the Sky
Can you put the pokemons name in the description to anounce which pokemon you have a shiny picture of???

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Could there be an item trading thread where you can trade things like Master Balls, Mega Stones, etc.?

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
Can we have Kalos minisprites/smilies soon, please?

I agree with this. When you want a small, quick, representation of a Pokémon, it would be nice to have an easily insertable picture.
Also, maybe update the ones for previous gens? To match their new minisprites, of course.

ashcrimson777

Newb Shiny Hunter
I tried starting a shop. I read the rules and think I did what is necessary to have been given one. Now, I don't know if there is a notification given when your thread isn't allowed, but I haven't received anything. I find this a problem because if I did do a good job, I could just say, Well, they havent gotten around to mine. If my thread was defective to a cretain rule(s), then I feel I should at least get a message stating "Your thread was not approved due to not having completed all rules". It can be a Copy/Paste type message, no need for specifics, but at least something so one isn't stuck wondering "Did I mess up, or is it just taking a while?"

TheEliteEmpoleon

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I tried starting a shop. I read the rules and think I did what is necessary to have been given one. Now, I don't know if there is a notification given when your thread isn't allowed, but I haven't received anything. I find this a problem because if I did do a good job, I could just say, Well, they havent gotten around to mine. If my thread was defective to a cretain rule(s), then I feel I should at least get a message stating "Your thread was not approved due to not having completed all rules". It can be a Copy/Paste type message, no need for specifics, but at least something so one isn't stuck wondering "Did I mess up, or is it just taking a while?"
There's no notification system with these forums for that, sadly. Some mods may (and ideally) would leave a message to a member if it wasn't approved.

At any rate, your thread hadn't been tended to yet. So I went and approved it for you as it looks fine. Link.

And how about some responses from mods in that "forums suggestions thread." oh wait...
Poke a mod then. =p Mind you, for both of those suggestions there's not many mods that can actually say anything. Those actions would a) require someone to make them, and b) require an admin to upload them. I think typically Serebii Joe does those userbars/smilie things (the latter is difficult to get too due to the games being on the 3DS now). Likewise, only an admin can redirect the url to the Pokédex to the new one. I can try poking one later though with that, at least.

Footnote

Please get rid of the mandatory Doubles and Triples section in the Pokémon of the Week column. Whoever writes these has absolutely no clue when it comes to these formats. Most of the time the advice is just, "Don't use this in Doubles and Triples." It's embarrassing.

Take this week's Pokémon, Heliolisk, as an example. The Doubles/Triples section reads, "Nothing. This lizard is barely usable enough in singles." Pathetic! No mention even of why it's better or worse. The very fact that Heliolisk gets three different weather-based abilities makes it a much better Doubles Pokémon than a Singles one. Parabolic charge is a Doubles and Triples-centric move. It's weak because it can hit up to 5 other Pokémon and absorb HP from all of them.

Please stop pretending that you know about Doubles. Your "advice" on these formats is always either misleading or absent.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Please get rid of the mandatory Doubles and Triples section in the Pokémon of the Week column. Whoever writes these has absolutely no clue when it comes to these formats. Most of the time the advice is just, "Don't use this in Doubles and Triples." It's embarrassing.

Take this week's Pokémon, Heliolisk, as an example. The Doubles/Triples section reads, "Nothing. This lizard is barely usable enough in singles." Pathetic! No mention even of why it's better or worse. The very fact that Heliolisk gets three different weather-based abilities makes it a much better Doubles Pokémon than a Singles one. Parabolic charge is a Doubles and Triples-centric move. It's weak because it can hit up to 5 other Pokémon and absorb HP from all of them.

Please stop pretending that you know about Doubles. Your "advice" on these formats is always either misleading or absent.
Actually, The POTW is not written by either BlueHarvest or KingTorterra, but by Visitors to this site.

The reason why Double/Triple Battles was "skipped" because no-one posted one. Actually, there was three mention of Doubles, the only move set was a Modification of another set, and no Mention of Triples. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?625978-Community-POTW-015

If you want to try your hand at another POTW: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?626401-Community-POTW-016

In this case, I think Swellow Normal/Flying type hurts when most of the hit everybody attacks are SE, and low Defences will hurt it, even with the Earthquake immunity. Mind you that my Competitive Score is 0/0.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
this thread is for forum suggestions, not site ones. if you want to talk about potw either post in the proper place or just email joe himself

EQWashu

Master Pokéwitch
If I may make a suggestion for a new thread on the 6th Gen Trade Forums? I think we would benefit from a thread devoted to HG/SS(Apricorn), Dream Ball and Safari Ball pokemon trading. I have spoken to several of people who, like me, have a bunch of pokemon in Apricorn/Safari/non-HA Dream ball females (I have about 3 boxes worth of just Apricorn ball pokes, another 4 for dream ball), and it is a massive pain to go into each individual pokemon's thread to post, especially if I have to update the posts to reflect what I'll trade them for. Just updating the Totodile, Chikorita and Cyndaquil posts is taxing after I whittle down my megastone requests. Rather, a simple list post of females in their respective pokeball would be much simpler for both people that have, and, people looking for these pokemon! Thank you :)

Last edited: