• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I just hope all the mod complaints actually go somewhere and some action is taken
It's infuriating to see all our requests fall on deaf ears for so long now

Has anyone actually brought this up with Serebii? Honestly that's the only way anything comes of this is if the big boss himself addresses it. The SMods can't do anything about it and are echoing the complaints and there are no other admins active to actually address the issue, so it kind of has to be escalated to Serebii himself.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
While we’re on the mod complaint train, can we also defrock mods who haven’t logged on in over a year? This isn’t a paid position, but not being on in over a year to do things like remove spambots or edgelord trolls sounds counterproductive
Goodness gracious this.

You can't have someone who hasn't logged into their account since 2017 still be listed as a moderator. That's not okay.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Goodness gracious this.

You can't have someone who hasn't logged into their account since 2017 still be listed as a moderator. That's not okay.
It’s even stranger when moderators like Coronis flat out retire publicly back in 2018 and on good terms and has yet to be defrocked. That’s just mind boggling

It’s a bigger hazard to keep accounts who haven’t been active for 1 generation of games or more to keep their power. What if their account gets compromised and ends up filling the forums with crypto scams? I’ve seen this happen in Discord servers and caused enough pain and suffering for all involved.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I don't know much about how these forums are programmed, but is there a way to make it to where threads made by ignored members still show up without having to click anything. Some members people ignore can make a blank-slate thread like, "The Legend of Zelda Discussion" (just as an example). Ideally, we could customize whether we just want to ignore a member's post or ignore them entirely.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

@Serebii

To recap the suggestions, complaints, and issues that have been happening in this thread:
  • Update the Rules: The links at the bottom of the Serebii Forums Rules page are dead. In addition, it still mentions vBulletin despite us using XenForo. It's not exactly a good look when the rules for signatures and the infraction point system need to be Google searched.
  • Name Changes: The request for name changes has had a massive waiting line for several generations of games by now.
  • Spam Bots: I suggest making it so that new users can't make threads for 30-60 days. It will at least stop the strain on the mods who actually do their jobs.
  • Reopen the Mod Applications: With the volume of spam and the activity in places like the Anime Forum, I think we are perfectly justified in wanting more mods. At least have more to cut down on the omnipresent spam bots. Having the few mods we have deal with spam is unfair to them.
  • Defrock the Mods Who Did Not Log In for a Generation: This issue is too big to ignore. We saw what damage could happen when Serebii was hacked and brought down. I find it useless to keep around mods who haven't been active in a generation of games to do anything. @Arc_Angel hasn't been seen since Jan 2019; Sword and Shield came out in Nov 2019. @Coronis resigned on good terms in Jan 2018, yet he still has moderation status despite not being seen since July 2020. @enchantress hasn't been seen since July 2017. @noobiess hasn't been seen since October 2019. All the things these accounts do by not being online for years is just another opportunity for another wayward user to hack into them and try to make life miserable for everyone.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think we need to add a thumbs down emoji for a reaction as the angry face is being abused a bit too much if someone doesn’t agree with what you’ve said and it feels so harsh for a reaction if it’s supposed to be used as a disagreement reaction. Examples of the angry face being used when a thumbs down reaction would have been better were times where I said that I didn’t like Phil Collins very much and felt that him performing almost every single song in Tarzan sort of ruins the viewing experience because we keep hearing the same voice and it just distracts from the movie itself, that Cilian was a bit boring, and I think something about me saying that Serena’s goal seemed to be a last minute addition as her journey and reason for traveling with Ash felt a bit weak and unfocused and it sort of was that way.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Meh, emoji reactions are kind of dumb anyway. Why not just tell someone what you think. 9 out of 10 times when someone reacts to one of my posts I have no idea what they're even trying to say

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Meh, emoji reactions are kind of dumb anyway. Why not just tell someone what you think. 9 out of 10 times when someone reacts to one of my posts I have no idea what they're even trying to say
The Like, Love, Shocked, and Laughing reactions are perfectly fine and I understand what is supposed to be conveyed when someone uses them as a reaction to one of my posts but the Frowning and Angry faces are confusing at times when they do get used.

TwilightBlade

Yeah can we get rid of the Sad reaction? There's a certain member who's been abusing it for over a year now by giving that reaction to posts that he disagrees with but he never actually bothers to explain why exactly he disagrees; they once gave me a Sad reaction just because I said that I was happy that HM slaves were a thing of the past in some of the newer games. It just seems meaningless and petty. :[

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Yeah can we get rid of the Sad reaction? There's a certain member who's been abusing it for over a year now by giving that reaction to posts that he disagrees with but he never actually bothers to explain why exactly he disagrees; they once gave me a Sad reaction just because I said that I was happy that HM slaves were a thing of the past in some of the newer games. It just seems meaningless and petty. :[
Angrymaster has been abusing the angry emoji for several years now in the PAD. It does get to be annoying

Last edited:

Applecorp

@Serebii

To recap the suggestions, complaints, and issues that have been happening in this thread:
  • Update the Rules: The links at the bottom of the Serebii Forums Rules page are dead. In addition, it still mentions vBulletin despite us using XenForo. It's not exactly a good look when the rules for signatures and the infraction point system need to be Google searched.
  • Name Changes: The request for name changes has had a massive waiting line for several generations of games by now.
  • Spam Bots: I suggest making it so that new users can't make threads for 30-60 days. It will at least stop the strain on the mods who actually do their jobs.
  • Reopen the Mod Applications: With the volume of spam and the activity in places like the Anime Forum, I think we are perfectly justified in wanting more mods. At least have more to cut down on the omnipresent spam bots. Having the few mods we have deal with spam is unfair to them.
  • Defrock the Mods Who Did Not Log In for a Generation: This issue is too big to ignore. We saw what damage could happen when Serebii was hacked and brought down. I find it useless to keep around mods who haven't been active in a generation of games to do anything. @Arc_Angel hasn't been seen since Jan 2019; Sword and Shield came out in Nov 2019. @Coronis resigned on good terms in Jan 2018, yet he still has moderation status despite not being seen since July 2020. @enchantress hasn't been seen since July 2017. @noobiess hasn't been seen since October 2019. All the things these accounts do by not being online for years is just another opportunity for another wayward user to hack into them and try to make life miserable for everyone.
Honestly I don't think he cares about the forum that much anymore. Except for the spambot situation and even then it's been years and still no permanent fix. Notice that back in August when someone hacked into the admin control panel and had access to it for a few days Serebii didn't even warn people on here to change their passwords just as a precaution to avoid further hacking attempts. Instead he just made a few tweets about the forum having to go offline for a few hours.

At this point you gotta wonder if maybe the best course of action would be to just close the forum. Forum activity has declined significantly and it seems like most Pokemon fans chat on Discord and social media more regularly than on the forum anyways.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The laughing face emoji can also be inappropriate.

Watch:
My dog died.
Replied with a XD.

On another topic, Serebii doesn't do much for the forums unless there's like a programming thing he needs to do.

Honestly, I prefer 1 on 1 conversations, and posting on certain threads. In many Pokemon centered topics, a lot of people post without filter.
I wish people showed more thoughfulness and restraint, but I doubt that will change.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Defrock the Mods Who Did Not Log In for a Generation: This issue is too big to ignore. We saw what damage could happen when Serebii was hacked and brought down. I find it useless to keep around mods who haven't been active in a generation of games to do anything. @Arc_Angel hasn't been seen since Jan 2019; Sword and Shield came out in Nov 2019. @Coronis resigned on good terms in Jan 2018, yet he still has moderation status despite not being seen since July 2020. @enchantress hasn't been seen since July 2017. @noobiess hasn't been seen since October 2019. All the things these accounts do by not being online for years is just another opportunity for another wayward user to hack into them and try to make life miserable for everyone.
It's completely maddening nothing has been done about this in particular. Especially in enchantress and Coronis cases. The mainline games that were out when these two were around were the Ultra games for christ sake...

keepitsimple

site of lies
Name Changes: The request for name changes has had a massive waiting line for several generations of games by now
this one was addressed a few years ago. basically the admins can't see when names were last changed anymore hence they can't enforce the two year cooldown rule between name changes

there wasn't much since then so im assuming username changes are just done for good at this point.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
PAD really needs new mods. Like...yesterday.

@Hunter Zolomon shouldn't have to go in and clean up all the messes there on a regular basis.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Like others suggested recently:

For one: Remove the moderator status for every mod that hasnt been active in years or for those that have stated to have resigned. What gives with continuing the leave the moderator status for accounts that have been dead for years.

For two: Reopen the mod application. This forum needs new ones especially in the Anime section (specifically the Anime Spoilers subforum), moderation is now mostly MIA for quite sometime. And that place essentially only has two moderators left. And one of them is almost never around anymore and only occasionally comes around to finally shut people up. Why the actual hell does @Hunter Zolomon have to at times pop in and do something every once in a while when he's not even supposed to and only does it cause no one else would or could.

And the unfortunate part is that while there are still active moderators in this forum, the problem is that they're essentially not allowed to moderate the Anime section specifically (which has been the long ongoing issue in terms of moderation) because they're not assigned there for moderation and can only moderate the ones the mods asked to moderate when they filled out the application from many years back.

They can comment and engage in the conversation there but can't moderate unless its for a "Last Resort" moment. (no "pun" intended).

U.N. Owen

What gives with continuing the leave the moderator status for accounts that have been dead for years.
Considering the entire forum got taken down by some wayward user in August, I say mods who aren’t active are a bigger security risk to the site than regular users. You can do much more damage to the site as a mod especially if your account is sitting there collecting dust.