• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
No offense to WishIhadaManafi5, Hunter Zolomon or any of the other active mods but don't you guys have better access to the head honcho than we regular members do? Surely you guys can contact him directly about the problems people have shared on here and he'd be more likely to listen to his staff than to the rest of us right?

But I think it's becoming more and more clear that we're wasting our time repeating the same forum complaints that people have mentioned for over a year now because it feels like nothing will be done about these problems. It took more than 10 years for regular members to get custom avatars, and we're still dealing with spambots which have been a problem for at least 15 years now. Any major forum changes will probably take another decade to be resolved or at most attempted to be fixed.
It's the same as y'all. No difference.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
We could always try contacting him through Discord DMs. Something seems better than nothing.
It's the same as y'all. No difference.
This certainly explains why mods who resign don’t get defrocked.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Right so we're trying to sort out the spambot issue. Our system hasn't been compromised but if you have data shared between accounts on different forums, then your data may be out there. Check if you've been pwned

I could force 2FA but I know not everyone has access to that

We'll try and sort out more staff

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I still am having some problems with the main site constantly crashing on me whenever I access it from my iPad and it happens on the entire site. It doesn’t happen if I use it on my iPhone. This has been a problem for me pretty much ever since the ad blocks were added to the site. I’m not sure if anyone else is having trouble with this. Other sites that use similar ad blocks don’t crash on me as often as the main site does.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Right so we're trying to sort out the spambot issue. Our system hasn't been compromised but if you have data shared between accounts on different forums, then your data may be out there. Check if you've been pwned

I could force 2FA but I know not everyone has access to that

Thanks so much Joe for the responses <3
Hopefully we can see some improvement in time for PM2023
Istg navigating the anime section without moderation isn't something I'll be able to bear for much longer with the current state of things XD

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I still am having some problems with the main site constantly crashing on me whenever I access it from my iPad and it happens on the entire site. It doesn’t happen if I use it on my iPhone. This has been a problem for me pretty much ever since the ad blocks were added to the site. I’m not sure if anyone else is having trouble with this. Other sites that use similar ad blocks don’t crash on me as often as the main site does.
Yea I've noticed some hanging and slowdowns on the forums due to it. (Via Android phone)

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yea I've noticed some hanging and slowdowns on the forums due to it. (Via Android phone)
If you use the Happy Style on the forums, everything is fine. I think those ad blocks is causing some sort of issue with certain devices that can’t be fixed unless you can change the layout of the site that they are on.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
If you use the Happy Style on the forums, everything is fine. I think those ad blocks is causing some sort of issue with certain devices that can’t be fixed unless you can change the layout of the site that they are on.

Ah interesting.

latias

Knuckle Trainer
With this platform imploding though, we are looking at a relaunch of the forums though. Watch this space :)
Um would another relaunch change much? The forum relaunched a few years back when it went from vBulletin to XenForo but the only notable improvements were custom avatars. And with membership dwindling why even bother to relaunch? Forums are losing their relevance and no matter how many relaunches happen I don't think it's going to increase the amount of active members. :(

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
What do you mean by ad block?

We've always had ads on the site...

I've done some tests and there's no extra load or nothing lagging it.

U.N. Owen

And hopefully defrock the staff who haven’t logged on since 2019. One generation of absence becomes more of a liability and annoyance to everyone else here.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
What do you mean by ad block?

We've always had ads on the site...

I've done some tests and there's no extra load or nothing lagging it.
That little ad thingy that pops up in the bottom of the screen and stays there unless you click the X in the corner to close it.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
And hopefully defrock the staff who haven’t logged on since 2019. One generation of absence becomes more of a liability and annoyance to everyone else here.
I checked the list of staff.

Looks like they've already been defrocked. So that's one issue off the list. Now to just address the other two aka the bots and the need for new mods.

I'd be more than happy to volunteer to be a mod in the PAD lmao.

U.N. Owen

I checked the list of staff.

Looks like they've already been defrocked. So that's one issue off the list. Now to just address the other two aka the bots and the need for new mods.

I'd be more than happy to volunteer to be a mod in the PAD lmao.
Well, one’s down. More to go.
To recap the suggestions, complaints, and issues that have been happening in this thread:
  • Update the Rules: The links at the bottom of the Serebii Forums Rules page are dead. In addition, it still mentions vBulletin despite us using XenForo. It's not exactly a good look when the rules for signatures and the infraction point system need to be Google searched.
  • Name Changes: The request for name changes has had a massive waiting line for several generations of games by now.
  • Spam Bots: I suggest making it so that new users can't make threads for 30-60 days. It will at least stop the strain on the mods who actually do their jobs.
  • Reopen the Mod Applications: With the volume of spam and the activity in places like the Anime Forum, I think we are perfectly justified in wanting more mods. At least have more to cut down on the omnipresent spam bots. Having the few mods we have deal with spam is unfair to them.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Can’t we just allow Hunter to mod the forum since he’s already good at it and committed? There are a lot of….personalities who I question would be good at it. Or perhaps like a democratic thing where they’re elected.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Can’t we just allow Hunter to mod the forum since he’s already good at it and committed? There are a lot of….personalities who I question would be good at it. Or perhaps like a democratic thing where they’re elected.
I mean, technically they could allow Hunter to be a PAD mod, if they allow him to that is.

And ye I agree on the second sentence but unfortunately, PAD definitely needs more than just him. Sushi is MIA for 95% of the time and Dephender is essentially just solely a once a week guy to put summaries and new titles since he's basically the only person that could do it. From an estimate, PAD would basically need another 3-4 mods aside from Hunter hypothetically being able to mod the place now since there's so much one person can actually do.

There are some certain users in PAD that could do well in modding (I even got a few in mind that could hypothetically work out)....but that's a matter of if they're willing to attempt to mod the dumpster fire there. And there should technically be some measures to make sure certain users at the same time should never be able to get moderator status for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Flashyspark

Glad to see that inactive mods were defrocked today, but Aquarelle still has staff member status despite her resigning years ago. And a few others like Miror and Jerichi haven't posted in about a year or longer so that's something to think about.

I don't think one person alone is going to be able to handle the constant spam and flaming that happens in PAD on a daily basis if that's what you mean.

And surely there's got to be a few PAD regulars or at least people who are familiar with the Pokemon anime and the community and who are good posters who login often that could take care of business. Obviously people who get in trouble often wouldn't make good mods, but not everyone in PAD misbehaves.