• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

keepitsimple

site of lies
these aren't really suggestions as much as they're (very easy) things that should have been done a long time ago, but...

QOWySTt.png

remove the gender field
- i shouldn't have to explain why male, female and unspecified being the only options is bad
- male and female aren't the only gender identities so it's inherently unfair to have only those options if one chooses to specify. having an option for each identity out there would make the page too long. unspecified is inaccurate. adding an "other" option could be taken as insulting. making it a text field instead of radio buttons could result in trolling.
- the very existence of the unspecified option basically proves that filling this field out isn't required for joining a forum. it's absolutely pointless and not relevant. just wipe it all off lol
- one can just put their gender and pronouns in the About You section in Personal Details if they wish to anyway

luckily this is an easy thing to do as all it takes is removing a small bit of code on two pages (account_personal_details and register_form), so if you have a reason to say no to this, it's probably invalid
- thread on xenforo support explaining how to remove gender field

-------

make the date of birth field not required
- why exactly do i have to tell you my date of birth to join a pokemon community? i get you can hide it later, but that doesn't hide it from the admins who have absolutely no use for this information anyway
- the only thing this does is put me on the birthday list. i don't care about being on it and i doubt most people do
- it's not like the forum is age restricted anyway. and if it is, this field wouldn't do anything for obvious reasons

I think there's an option to flip this to "not required" somewhere in the admin cp. it wasn't required before the system upgrade so maybe it got switched to required accidentally?

EDIT: Just realized we still can't put any Gen 7 pokemon as our favourite. Gen 7 is almost over. Maybe this should just be a text field if nobody is going to update it?

EDIT AGAIN: (Also, name changes, please. It's been nearly two years.)

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
EDIT: Just realized we still can't put any Gen 7 pokemon as our favourite. Gen 7 is almost over. Maybe this should just be a text field if nobody is going to update it?

This. Let me show my love for Dhelmise in a drop-down box in my biography no one looks at! In all seriousness though, yeah if anything, at least put this option since I don't want us to be in Gen 8 and we still can't list an Alola/Galar Pokemon as our favorite haha.

And yeah what's going on with the name changes? Just curious

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
There is a way to minimise it. There's a circle which should have a X next to it which means you can dismiss it.
It doesn't minimize it, it just goes white and says 'ad closed by google' (with buttons for reporting or seeing why this ad), then a new ad replaces it.

- It also slows down the page as it loads these new ads.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
It doesn't minimize it, it just goes white and says 'ad closed by google' (with buttons for reporting or seeing why this ad), then a new ad replaces it.

- It also slows down the page as it loads these new ads.
No, I'm not talking about the big X (sometimes shown as a grey circle on FireFox for some reason. I'll prod the ad network about the styling) to the right of the ad. I'm not talking about the x in the ad itself. Click the X and it is dismissed.
x.jpg

Also the page loads no slower than it did before the ad was sticky

pokefreakceetje

I'm still waiting for the username thread to reopen. I'm waiting for over half a year I believe... Also I can't dismiss ads on mobile.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
No, I'm not talking about the big X (sometimes shown as a grey circle on FireFox for some reason. I'll prod the ad network about the styling) to the right of the ad. I'm not talking about the x in the ad itself. Click the X and it is dismissed.
x.jpg

Also the page loads no slower than it did before the ad was sticky
That wasn't working before, though it seems to be now. I wasn't referring to initial page loading, I'm referring to how the page locks up as a new ad loads (which it doesn't seem to do when I'm able to close the ad).

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
That wasn't working before, though it seems to be now. I wasn't referring to initial page loading, I'm referring to how the page locks up as a new ad loads (which it doesn't seem to do when I'm able to close the ad).
That should never happen...

Pathfinder

No Angel
keepitsimple said:
Just realized we still can't put any Gen 7 pokemon as our favourite. Gen 7 is almost over. Maybe this should just be a text field if nobody is going to update it?
I'd like to see this as well. Joe is the only person that can update that unless something has changed since I was a staff member, and turning the drop down list of fav pokemon into a blank text field instead that we could fill in ourselves would solve the issue once for all.

I could see a few people here and there abusing that system & writing inappropriate things in the field instead, but people can already do that in other areas of profile customization if they're really determined to be idiots ( like their sigs, usertitles, about you section, etc) ...so overall I don't see it being anymore of a pain to moderate than normal if it were to be implemented.

keepitsimple

site of lies
^ I'm with the two posts above tbh. I guess the issue is that letting everyone see somebody's infraction is inviting people to make discussions more toxic afterwards by pointing out the infraction. Another con is that if a wrongly applied infraction is visible and the member doesn't get it appealed then it could confuse people on what the rules are

The only pro I can think of is that when infractions are visible to everyone, then wrongly applied ones might be more likely to be noticed by someone and dealt with (or maybe not), but that's about it.

I personally don't like visible infractions because I'm still accustomed to the old forum where someone's infraction was none of my business and mine was none of theirs, + I fail to see how hanging a "this guy got in trouble" sign on someone's post is all that helpful for anyone involved

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
^ I'm with the two posts above tbh. I guess the issue is that letting everyone see somebody's infraction is inviting people to make discussions more toxic afterwards by pointing out the infraction. Another con is that if a wrongly applied infraction is visible and the member doesn't get it appealed then it could confuse people on what the rules are

The only pro I can think of is that when infractions are visible to everyone, then wrongly applied ones might be more likely to be noticed by someone and dealt with (or maybe not), but that's about it.

I personally don't like visible infractions because I'm still accustomed to the old forum where someone's infraction was none of my business and mine was none of theirs, + I fail to see how hanging a "this guy got in trouble" sign on someone's post is all that helpful for anyone involved
I agree. Infractions should only be made visible between mods and the members who got them.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Pathfinder

No Angel
I think it would be nice if some of the staff members that don't post publicly very often would turn off invisible mode occasionally, so that people know you're still alive for lack of a better word.

Now that I've not been on the inside for quite some time it can seem like a lot of the staff members are inactive & don't care from an outsider's perspective because they're always invisible, and from experience I know that most of the time that's simply not true.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I think it would be nice if some of the staff members that don't post publicly very often would turn off invisible mode occasionally, so that people know you're still alive for lack of a better word.

Now that I've not been on the inside for quite some time it can seem like a lot of the staff members are inactive & don't care from an outsider's perspective because they're always invisible, and from experience I know that most of the time that's simply not true.
I can relate to that, as ex-staff. I understand both sides. I personally never went invisible, and was also active for most of the time I was staff: Most of my experience was with the older versions of the forums. I occasionally got ask about things in area where I didn't go, or in a few cases got asked why I was visiting a Random Profile.

Some days, I never posted in a Public thread, but still did alot of work during that time. If you knew what you where looking for, you'd know a member of staff was active, due to Questionable threads being deleted, and the user who made those threads got banned. (I got to repeat that I was publicly active during most the time I was staff.)

I will also mention that some Admin Users are actually hardware server Technicians and don't post unless they have to. They need the access to allow them to set up the software to work with the hardware.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’ve never gone invisible and don’t plan on trying it. I’d rather moderate the forums and let users know I’m taking my position seriously. I have nothing to hide.

keepitsimple

site of lies
So I was wondering if we could get the max number of private conversation invites increased. Right now it's 5 and having it be like 10 instead would really help

Reason being that since last year in the Games forum, a lot of us have been playing Big Brother and it would be great if the host could have the entire jury in one PM so that it's possible to do the jury roundtables. Even a small increase like up to 7 invites could work if 10 is too high

I also know a few members who do have conversations that they want to add more people to