• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
The entire competitive section could do with being trimmed a little bit. I know these forums in general aren't as active as they used to be, but the competitive section in particular is all but dead outside of POTW. Guilds and Leagues haven't seen a post in two weeks and there's exactly one open guild and one open league, nobody's posted in Wifi/Sim Battles in almost two months, and Tournaments hasn't seen a post this year, with the most recent post being a tournament posted last December that apparently nobody signed up for. You could get away with making RMT a sub-section of General Competitive Discussion, as neither one is amazingly active anymore. POTW is the only competitive section that really sees any semblance of activity anymore, which is unfortunate.

Also, as someone who's probably been infracted more than any three of you guys combined over the years, I prefer the visible infractions. I think it makes wrongful infractions less likely to be applied and more likely to be called out if we can see exactly what someone was infracted for and why.

Last edited:

keepitsimple

site of lies
Also, as someone who's probably been infracted more than any three of you guys combined over the years, I prefer the visible infractions. I think it makes wrongful infractions less likely to be applied and more likely to be called out if we can see exactly what someone was infracted for and why.
I did mention this in my post as a possible pro but it only works this way if there are enough people in the community willing to call it out which idk if there are

Leonhart

Imagineer
Regarding the visible warnings, it seems a little embarrassing for people who have been reprimanded to have their punishment visible for everyone to see. I hadn't noticed that change until recently while I was browsing a thread, and while it doesn't affect me personally since it's been almost ten years since I was last warned, I still empathize with people who have that little red warning mark on certain posts. I don't see what good it does to have the warnings be visible like that.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Serebii needs to come out and take a stand against Gamefreak and their anti-consumer policy regarding the national dex. This forum represents a sizable portion of the Pokemon community, and having been here for 10 years myself, I feel myself against the idea of this community doing nothing to tell Nintendo, or the Pokemon company that this decision is the wrong one. We need our voices heard - every voice - and the lack of criticism from Serebii serves as a detriment to the forum as well as the Pokemon community.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Serebii needs to come out and take a stand against Gamefreak and their anti-consumer policy regarding the national dex. This forum represents a sizable portion of the Pokemon community, and having been here for 10 years myself, I feel myself against the idea of this community doing nothing to tell Nintendo, or the Pokemon company that this decision is the wrong one. We need our voices heard - every voice - and the lack of criticism from Serebii serves as a detriment to the forum as well as the Pokemon community.
We represent a teeny tiny chunk of this fanbase. Can’t work!

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
We represent a teeny tiny chunk of this fanbase. Can’t work!

Perhaps in forum activity, but I would argue that it's the opposite in terms of community engagement. I know a lot of people who browse Serebii just for pokedex information or movesets, etc. The website and even the forums presents a powerful tool for us to tell Gamefreak that they're in the wrong here - which they are. And anything from Serebii would prove to be helpful, however, silence will not help whatsoever.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen

Joe probably just doesn't have an opinion about the recent changes that Gamefreak has implemented. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him protest anything related to the franchise since the SOVA thing in 2006? But honestly, I'd respect him more if he doesn't get involved in the Pokemon exclusion thing since we already have enough people voicing their disappointment over trivial things.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Joe said he didn't like the change, but he is still looking forward to the games. Remember, he is his own guy.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Joe probably just doesn't have an opinion about the recent changes that Gamefreak has implemented. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen him protest anything related to the franchise since the SOVA thing in 2006? But honestly, I'd respect him more if he doesn't get involved in the Pokemon exclusion thing since we already have enough people voicing their disappointment over trivial things.
He does have an opinion. But his hands are probably tied, due to his direct involvement with Nintendo. He's probably only allowed to say so much, especially on a Pokémon site.

I'll tell you one thing that is making it worse though, when mods and admins start locking topics in response to fan criticism of this. I strongly suggest NOT to do this. Because even though the incomplete pokedex doesn't bother me personally, taking this kind of action in response to fan criticism in this situation is only going to make things worse.

This is a fundamental core aspect of the Pokémon franchise that they're changing and people need to be able to vent. And if they can't, they will fight back on this. The incomplete pokedex in Sword/Shield is probably the single most controversial decision in the history of the franchise (to the point where they're now in full on damage control mode over this), and shutting down discussion of it isn't going to make it go away, like it or not. It's only going to make it worse.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
There's a difference between constructive criticism and arguing for the sake of it. It was the latter that got said thread temp locked. Venting is fine and good, but when it devolves into jabs at fans, etc., then it's arguing.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
There's a difference between constructive criticism and arguing for the sake of it. It was the latter that got said thread temp locked. Venting is fine and good, but when it devolves into jabs at fans, etc., then it's arguing.

Well, just be careful, because this is a very hot button topic, and you're likely to upset a lot of people if you go too far. You have to let it run its course, or else the situation will only get worse.

I don't normally make posts about closed topics, but in this situation, this is the single most controversial thing Pokémon has ever done, and it needs to be treated delicately. There's a reason so many youtube videos are being made about it.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Well, just be careful, because this is a very hot button topic, and you're likely to upset a lot of people if you go too far. You have to let it run its course, or else the situation will only get worse.
Oh I know. We've been letting it run its course. Only there's only so much of that, that can be done when the cycle repeats itself over and over. Hoping that Game Freak releases some good news to get some of the pressure taken off of that thread.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member

I don't normally make posts about closed topics, but in this situation, this is the single most controversial thing Pokémon has ever done, and it needs to be treated delicately. There's a reason so many youtube videos are being made about it.

When users start arguments for the sake of arguing, insult others, the only way to restore order is by locking the thread. People were asked on multiple occasions to stop the fighting. Constructive criticism is always welcomed. People can always voice their opinions and concerns obviously, but when things get out of control in a thread order has to be restored. I can understand why people are upset about the Pokedex news, but people insulting others and starting flame wars in a thread isn't the best choice Especially if you want a thread to stay unlocked.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I question if closing the Shield & Sword general discussion thread was really necessary when it seemed like the main problem in that thread was caused by the same 4 or 5 people debating/flaming each other in circles (including a certain Cyndaquil fan who did most of the back-talking even after he got an in-thread warning to calm down). Is it possible to just temporarily ban members from posting in certain threads or even whole sections of the forum? It's something that I know Bulbagarden's staff members sometimes do when certain members don't behave, so I'm wondering if that could be an alternative punishment method here as well.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Not a mod here, but I think it was a tad more than "4 or 5 people". The whole thread was riddled with people making bad calls and telling off others.

The thread was becoming a dead weight for nothing but this tired discussion.

Hydrangea

ask me about my ocs pls
Staff member
I question if closing the Shield & Sword general discussion thread was really necessary when it seemed like the main problem in that thread was caused by the same 4 or 5 people debating/flaming each other in circles (including a certain Cyndaquil fan who did most of the back-talking even after he got an in-thread warning to calm down). Is it possible to just temporarily ban members from posting in certain threads or even whole sections of the forum? It's something that I know Bulbagarden's staff members sometimes do when certain members don't behave, so I'm wondering if that could be an alternative punishment method here as well.

Not a mod here, but I think it was a tad more than "4 or 5 people". The whole thread was riddled with people making bad calls and telling off others.

The thread was becoming a dead weight for nothing but this tired discussion.

Precisely. It extended far more than 4 or 5 people. The entirety of the thread became insulting others based on their opinions and that's not really something that should be happening. It seemed that most users were just picking fights/flaming others for the sake of it at a certain point.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Precisely. It extended far more than 4 or 5 people. The entirety of the thread became insulting others based on their opinions and that's not really something that should be happening. It seemed that most users were just picking fights/flaming others for the sake of it at a certain point.
Exactly. And it's why it got locked. It got to the point where the behavior was repeating itself over and over again.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I would like the ability to minimize forum categories, like "General" and "Competitive". Since most of my time is spent in "Games" and "Anime & Manga", I don't like having to scroll through all the subforums when I pivot through the forum index. If there's a topic I want to talk about, I want the ability to toggle on those categories.

MusicFan22

Although I enjoy Iris as a character, I think that any thread about how controversial she is (and other characters like Max, Tracey, Cilan, and Alain) should be forbidden, simply because it would caused heated debates and we don't need that here.