• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Although I enjoy Iris as a character, I think that any thread about how controversial she is (and other characters like Max, Tracey, Cilan, and Alain) should be forbidden, simply because it would caused heated debates and we don't need that here.

I think if there are good constructive points that are made about the characters, it's fine. But normally the staff is pretty good about not allowing character bashing here anyway.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MusicFan22 said:
Although I enjoy Iris as a character, I think that any thread about how controversial she is (and other characters like Max, Tracey, Cilan, and Alain) should be forbidden, simply because it would caused heated debates and we don't need that here.

To be fair, the anime mods tend to close those kinds of threads quickly whenever they devolve into character bashing, which does happen often. But I don't think there should be a blanket ban on character discussion threads overall since some of them allow for interesting conversations.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Can we make it against the rules to post spoilers in profile posts? The messages appear right there on the main page in full. Like, rules already state you can't post spoilers outside of the spoilers forum, so why are profile posts exempt?

Dragon Pulse

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I've noticed that none of the Gen 7 Pokémon are listed under the "Favorite Pokémon" list when you go to select one in your user settings. Is it possible if it could be updated? :)

keepitsimple

site of lies
Can we make it against the rules to post spoilers in profile posts? The messages appear right there on the main page in full. Like, rules already state you can't post spoilers outside of the spoilers forum, so why are profile posts exempt?
I'm against this. the last thing this forum needs is more rules. a better idea would be to stop displaying profile posts on the main page

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm against this. the last thing this forum needs is more rules. a better idea would be to stop displaying profile posts on the main page
It's not like we have that many rules here. All I'm really asking for is enforcement of the rules we already have. I shouldn't be forced to completely stay away from the entire forum or add a fifth of the active members here to my ignore list while we have a dedicated spoiler section for it so I can avoid spoilers, just because some people are too stupid or selfish to read or care about the rules, discuss over pm instead of profile posts, or just go to the spoilers section. And as long as there is no enforcement for spoiler rules why should people care about others not wanting to get spoiled?

Last edited:

keepitsimple

site of lies
It's not like we have that many rules here. All I'm really asking for is enforcement of the rules we already have.
Like, rules already state you can't post spoilers outside of the spoilers forum, so why are profile posts exempt?
this isn't even the rule, the rule is no untagged spoilers. maybe the admins should have made it possible to use spoiler tags in profile posts. or like i said, take them off the main page. both are viable solutions so i have no idea why you and @wolf jani think a mod crackdown that's just going to piss people off is the way to go.

I shouldn't be forced to completely stay away from the entire forum or add a fifth of the active members here to my ignore list while we have a dedicated spoiler section for it so I can avoid spoilers, just because some people are too stupid or asinine to read or care about the rules, discuss over pm instead of profile posts, or just go to the spoilers section.
lol it's not stupid or asinine to want to talk with your friends instead of a bunch of randos in the spoiler section but go off

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Just saw the front page profile posts. Maybe making them have a collapse option could help. Or maybe add in an option on the happy theme to have them not show.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
lol it's not stupid or asinine to want to talk with your friends instead of a bunch of randos in the spoiler section but go off
There is a pm option that you can use just as well for talking for your friends without spoiling stuff for the rest of us who didn't ask for it. Click on someone's avatar, then "Start a Conversation". If you spoil stuff through profile posts knowing that you're spoiling things for everybody else while a perfectly fine alternative is there without spoiling stuff for the rest of us, then yes, I'm calling that asinine or at least inconsiderate.
this isn't even the rule, the rule is no untagged spoilers.
Just because I didn't mention the adjective untagged doesn't mean I was wrong. It's out in the open there spoiling stuff, the obvious and clear intent of the rule is to prevent people from being spoiled when they don't want to and clearly the profile posts undermine that intent, and besides they're still untagged. As long as you can't spoiler tag stuff at all in profile posts spoilers simply shouldn't be there at all because untagged is all there is, so by definition it should already be against the rules. Mods enforcing no untagged spoilers is simply a far faster solution than waiting until who knows how long for a forum upgrade that may never even arrive. Profile posts are part of the forum and at least in my opinion therefore should be subject to the same forum rules.

Last edited:

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
How about letting users change their own name. It's dumb to not allow this and also have a rule so you can't make a new account. Every other modern site or forum allows one or the other, even Discord, a site this website supports

How many years did it take Joe to allow custom avatars?

Because that's how long y'all are going to have to wait for the ability to change your own names.

So here's the deal with name changes. The forum upgrade doesn't give me the ability to look and see when a user's name was last changed (or at least, I haven't found it yet and I've def spent way too much of my time looking), so the rules in the username change thread are obsolete, hence why they haven't been done. Likewise, and I'm gonna be real with you guys here, it takes hours out of my day to change names. It is a pain in my ass and I just don't have the time available anymore to dedicate to this.

As far as the ability to change usernames on your own (which would be a vast improvement over how we've been doing it in the past), that's something that's been discussed as being added once the forums have been upgraded to xenforo 2. When/if that happens, hopefully that option will be added. But I'm not going to make any promises because these aren't my forums and I really don't have any control regarding upgrades/add-ons/whatever else.

MockingJ

Banned
So here's the deal with name changes. The forum upgrade doesn't give me the ability to look and see when a user's name was last changed (or at least, I haven't found it yet and I've def spent way too much of my time looking), so the rules in the username change thread are obsolete, hence why they haven't been done. Likewise, and I'm gonna be real with you guys here, it takes hours out of my day to change names. It is a pain in my ass and I just don't have the time available anymore to dedicate to this.

I'm not trying to sound argumentative, but I really doubt that it takes hours to handle name changes. The last two name change threads that I could find (one from April 2017 and the other from October 2017) only had about 30 name change requests each. Assuming that it takes one minute to change one username (I think it would probably only take seconds, but I'll leave some wiggle room), then that's 30 minutes per thread to do all the username changes. So I'm not exactly sure why it would be even more time consuming this time?

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
I'm not trying to sound argumentative, but I really doubt that it takes hours to handle name changes. The last two name change threads that I could find (one from April 2017 and the other from October 2017) only had about 30 name change requests each. Assuming that it takes one minute to change one username (I think it would probably only take seconds, but I'll leave some wiggle room), then that's 30 minutes per thread to do all the username changes. So I'm not exactly sure why it would be even more time consuming this time?

The ACP lagged like **** when doing name changes so yes, it did take hours to do them. On top of that, the ACP would timeout frequently so I'd have to manually refresh to make sure the name changes went through.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Going to repeat my question because I still haven't gotten an answer from mods. It is clearly against forum rules to post unmarked spoilers anywhere outside the spoilers forum, and anything that hasn't been out in English yet for a week counts as a spoiler. As far as I am concerned, if that applies to any post in a thread outside the spoilers forum it should definitely apply to profile posts which appear in their complete content on the main page. The aim of rule 22 is to avoid users from getting spoiled when they don't want to, and people spoiling everything from episodes that have just been released hours prior in Japanese on the main page of the forum itself goes completely against that aim, yet when I report those clear violations of the rules my reports just get rejected. So my question is, if there is no enforcement whatsoever for the spoiler rule, why do we even have the rule? Or contrary, why is there no enforcement for the rule? I'm not arguing technicalities here, profile posts display in full content on the main page and therefore have far more reach than thread posts, which means that spoiling stuff in there is more severe.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
It's been dealt with.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member