• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

Xionea

Half a centaur
And there really isn’t much anyone can do as these bots tend to find ways around measures trying to prevent them from being on the site. It’s probably better to just ignore them
Ignoring them is just asking for the forums to get flooded with virus filled links that gullible kids will click on. While preventing them is probably impossible, getting rid of their links is important.

That being said, like Pokefan said, they definitely have an active time, I see them a lot late at night. Are there any mods that are available at around that time that can quickly do a sweep around the bots active hours to at least help prevent them a little quicker? Or would preventing links help (until you've been on the site for a certain time/certain amount of posts or something)? Minimize the click through rate by making it harder to access their sites. Anyone who is capable of of getting a link out of a bot message would probably be smart enough to know it's dangerous. It won't solve the bot issue entirely, but it should at least prevent younger kids from seeing a blue link and absentmindedly clicking it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Ignoring them is just asking for the forums to get flooded with virus filled links that gullible kids will click on. While preventing them is probably impossible, getting rid of their links is important.

That being said, like Pokefan said, they definitely have an active time, I see them a lot late at night. Are there any mods that are available at around that time that can quickly do a sweep around the bots active hours to at least help prevent them a little quicker? Or would preventing links help (until you've been on the site for a certain time/certain amount of posts or something)? Minimize the click through rate by making it harder to access their sites. Anyone who is capable of of getting a link out of a bot message would probably be smart enough to know it's dangerous. It won't solve the bot issue entirely, but it should at least prevent younger kids from seeing a blue link and absentmindedly clicking it.

Definitely. It's better to be safe than sorry there.

I'm generally on late and early... so I try to get what I can.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Three bots today. Whoever generates these is persistent.

Yep. But that's minor. Saw one generate over 200 of them over a period of time.

They'd generate around 1 to 5 or more an hour (this one did for example) and they all added up.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*

What I meant by ignoring the bots is just avoid clicking the topic link and choose to view their profile where making a report from there which is much easier than reporting every post a spambot has created as some make multiple posts within minutes.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Atleast it'll be more respectful and accurate than the angry emoji
The angry emoji confuses me because it is constantly being used if people disagree with each other for stuff that don’t seem to make sense to use that particular emoji. I mean I don’t get why someone used it on one of my comments where I said that Phil Collins singing almost every song made me enjoy Disney’s Tarzan because it was too distracting and a bit annoying to hear the same voice singing throughout the entire movie especially if the songs were supposed to be seen from the perspective of the characters. “People Like Me” can’t be taken so seriously as it should be since it’s Tarzan’s I want song when that same voice is literally in every single song. For context it’s like watching Lion King and getting to Can You Feel the Love Tonight and hearing Elton John singing it instead of Simba and Nala. It may seem a bit odd but acceptable if it was only that one song but earlier in the movie you heard the same person song Circle of Life, I Just Can’t Wait to Be King, Be Prepared, and Hakuna Matata. That would be distracting and a bit annoying, right? So why would someone want to use the angry emoji for that comment which can be interpreted as being offended over such a trivial opinion?

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
I'd love if we could get new reactions, one particular reaction that I'd personally love to have is an eyeroll emoji added
No thanks, it'll be even more abused and obnoxious than the angry emoji.
They should just disable the reaction system instead to be honest.

Honestly I'd like the reaction system to be more like what this other site that uses XenForo does. It only has "Like", "Hug", "Informative", "Insightful" and "Funny" as default reactions. No angry or sad ones (tho i wouldn't mind keeping sad but if angry is gone there might be a chance for sad to instead be spammed).

That forum also has "Meow" for paid members but that doesn't really apply here.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Instead of angry, I’d much rather see a thumbs down being used for disagreement/dislike/disproval. I’d use it to show that I disagree with something. The angry emoji conveys strong emotion that may not even be accurate to the situation. It just seems too intense.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Instead of angry, I’d much rather see a thumbs down being used for disagreement/dislike/disproval. I’d use it to show that I disagree with something. The angry emoji conveys strong emotion that may not even be accurate to the situation. It just seems too intense.
An eyeroll could also work when you disagree tbh, and is a funny way of showing it and well....also relevant in areas of the forum

Applecorp

No thanks, it'll be even more abused and obnoxious than the angry emoji.
They should just disable the reaction system instead to be honest.
Yeah what even is the point of reactions other than starting a popularity contest between members?

At least could we get a new reaction for disliking a post other than the red angry face one? That one just breeds animosity between people.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Sometimes, the angry emoji isn't directed at the one who posted the initial reply, but something else in context.

Say that I made a post saying that my neighbor called me an idiot. An angry emoji there could be directed at my neighbor.

The laughing emoji can also be problematic. I've seen it used in response to very serious posts.

As with Facebook, I would be happy with a "thumbs down" emoji, but more so on Facebook.
Too many posts there give me cancer.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The Angry emoji is clearly abused in several places. A thumbs down option would be much better and less intense.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I'd love if we could get new reactions, one particular reaction that I'd personally love to have is an eyeroll emoji added
OMG YES, YES, YES, and YES!

I actually had suggested this once before. For me, the point of an eye roll reaction emoji would really only be for the instances where someone posted something obviously stupid and not worth replying to.

Simple disagreements of course would be left simply with replying with why you disagree.