• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Honestly, I think there's not many active moderators on here anymore because the forum isn't as active anymore. I remember when this place was booming with life, and moderators were strict. Nowadays things are quiet around here besides the anime section. The new upcoming gen will boom some life into here, but eventually that hype will all wither away in due time. The anime section is the busiest area on the forum. Some people won't like me saying this, but a lot of people get away with murder over there and it's toxic as it gets in my honest opinion. If anything there needs to be more help in that section of the forum.

So in all reality, I would recommend getting more help in the anime section, and hire more mods to tackle spambots. The spambots are growing even more aggressive each day as Sceptile Leaf Blade pointed out. More help is needed before it's too late.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Honestly, I think there's not many active moderators on here anymore because the forum isn't as active anymore. I remember when this place was booming with life, and moderators were strict. Nowadays things are quiet around here besides the anime section. The new upcoming gen will boom some life into here, but eventually that hype will all wither away in due time. The anime section is the busiest area on the forum. Some people won't like me saying this, but a lot of people get away with murder over there and it's toxic as it gets in my honest opinion. If anything there needs to be more help in that section of the forum.

So in all reality, I would recommend getting more help in the anime section, and hire more mods to tackle spambots. The spambots are growing even more aggressive each day as Sceptile Leaf Blade pointed out. More help is needed before it's too late.
Indeed, many of the active threads that used to gain 100 of posts per day, barely I've noticed that we only get a few per month.

Most of the Game Subforums where I basically made my home are barely moving. Gen 8 looks closer to Gen 3 at 3 months to Gen 6's launch. (

If I was brought back as staff, I'd more or less be for the bots.. I certainly don't want to be Gen 9 Mod until 2024.. for reasons that I'd rather not discuss publicly.

If I was brought back as staff, I'd more or less be for the bots.. I certainly don't want to be Gen 9 Mod until 2024.. for reasons that I'd rather not discuss publicly.
Weren't you the guy who got demodded because you leaked information from the staff forum? I don't think the staff are gonna mod you again after that incident dude. :/

Am I allowed to make some suggestions to changes to the infraction and ban system? I feel that the whole system needs an overhaul. Where can I post about this?
What exactly do you have against the warning system? Btw if you want to contest a warning you've received you're supposed to talk to a moderator who has a higher rank than the mod who warned you.

I think it's a massive injustice.

When you get warnings, they don't tell you what you've been warned for. When you are banned, you can't see the forums nor even log out, and they also don't tell you what you've been banned for.
They say that "15 points is a lot", when it isn't, cause you get 15 all at once for going off topic.

It's ridiculous since you have like... 20+ rules that some people are likely to forget since there's so many.

TL;DR: When you ban someone, you should really give them more details other than "Rule Violations", cause literally every single ban is a result of rule violations.
That's strange because I'm pretty sure that the mods have to let members know why they've been banned. I'd advise contacting Serebii himself using the Contact us link at the bottom of the page if you ever get banned and want to contest it, but I doubt he checks his email often these days. He barely logins in once a week here to make an episode thread and then leaves. :( Maybe message him on Twitter instead.

There are only like 5 or 6 active mods on here these days so really this topic seems kind of pointless? I doubt Serebii checks it and most of the other admins and super mods barely come online anymore, so only some lower staff members are active enough to peruse this thread and they wouldn't have the ability to introduce major changes to the forum anyways.

MetaMantis

Offline until Ash vs Leon
Btw if you want to contest a warning you've received you're supposed to talk to a moderator who has a higher rank than the mod who warned you.
1. You don't get to know the mod who warned you. It doesn't say.
2. I didn't even know there was a hierarchy. Nowhere does it say anything about rankings.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Speaking of which, the official rules thread needs to be updated: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/serebii-forums-rules.397567/

Specifically the links at the bottom of the first post that're supposed to lead to the Signature Rules thread and Infraction Points Information thread need to be fixed because they actually lead nowhere.
I was looking at that list and I agree that it needs updating or at least some clarifications in some parts especially about the ratings system. I don’t think we can upvote people anymore and the closest thing is to user ratings is the reaction scores which don’t seem to be able to be lowered unless someone retracts their reaction to a post. Also I think that there should be a little bit of leeway for the no posting after 60 days of inactivity rule as well as double posting in some situations such as if there is big news that involves the topic at hand. Editing that type of stuff when you’re the last one to post can lead to it going unnoticed. I’m not saying we need to get rid of those rules but I also don’t think they should be enforced as strictly as they have been. And sometimes there is no need to start a new version of a topic or game if the 60 days of inactivity has happened and someone really wants to continue the game but can’t because a month has gone by since the 60 day limit has occurred or they were the last one to post before the topic became inactive and starting a new topic on the same subject doesn’t make sense.

MetaMantis

I was looking at that list and I agree that it needs updating or at least some clarifications in some parts especially about the ratings system. I don’t think we can upvote people anymore and the closest thing is to user ratings is the reaction scores which don’t seem to be able to be lowered unless someone retracts their reaction to a post. Also I think that there should be a little bit of leeway for the no posting after 60 days of inactivity rule
The 60 day inactivity rule is broken all the time with episode threads that came out years ago, plus the rule doesn't even say anything about inactivity, it just talks about "if the thread is 60+ days old".

Edit: Why does that rule even exist?

1. You don't get to know the mod who warned you. It doesn't say.
2. I didn't even know there was a hierarchy. Nowhere does it say anything about rankings.
Huh. The system must've changed then. In the old version of the forum members always knew which mods infracted/warned them, and they could then try to appeal an infraction/warning by talking to a higher ranked staff member. I didn't know that had been altered.

It seems like the staff listing on the Members tab doesn't distinguish between regular Moderators, Super Moderators, and Admins for some reason. That definitely should be changed.

Speaking of which, the official rules thread needs to be updated: https://forums.serebii.net/threads/serebii-forums-rules.397567/

Specifically the links at the bottom of the first post that're supposed to lead to the Signature Rules thread and Infraction Points Information thread need to be fixed because they actually lead nowhere.
If the rules haven't been updated since 2018, don't expect any changes in the near future.

The 60 day inactivity rule is broken all the time with episode threads that came out years ago, plus the rule doesn't even say anything about inactivity, it just talks about "if the thread is 60+ days old".

The stickied episode threads (the ones with the little pin icon) are an exception to the 60 day rule as mentioned in the rules;

4. Don't post in topics that are more than 60 days old
Stickied threads and special cases such as posting Fan Fiction are exceptions to this. Read each individual forum's rules.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army

All I know is I got a warning once just because I posted in a topic that hadn’t had any messages in it in 60 days and it was I think only a month after that time period had happened. I forgot what the topic was but it was only three months of inactivity.

MetaMantis

All I know is I got a warning once just because I posted in a topic that hadn’t had any messages in it in 60 days and it was I think only a month after that time period had happened. I forgot what the topic was but it was only three months of inactivity.
Well the rule is dumb cause there's no point in restricting that.

Manchee

extra toasty

The rule exists because the forums used to be incredibly active (so active that they would constantly lag due to the hundreds/thousands of people online and posting all at the same time) and if a thread managed to not have any activity in 60+ days (two months), it made more sense to restart the conversation. This was to prevent people from bringing back a bunch of old threads/clogging up the list of active threads.

At this current time, no it does not make sense, but leadership and changes to the forums have been lacking for years so tbqh trying to bring anything up is as good as talking to a wall.

At this current time, no it does not make sense, but leadership and changes to the forums have been lacking for years so tbqh trying to bring anything up is as good as talking to a wall.
This so much. The Admins (aka the ones who have the most power to actually install major changes on the forums) are barely ever online; Serebii is the only semi-frequent Admin and even he only logs in maybe once or twice a week to post a couple threads and that's about it.

People have been complaining for almost 2 years now about name changes not being approved by staff. This is likely due to a setting (most likely a plug-in) that an Admin would need to install, but here we are 2 years later and still nothing has been done about this.

To put it into perspective the site got hacked last month and the ultimate irony is that whoever did it probably spent more time in the Admin control panel than the actual Admins do these days. Let that sink in for a bit.

MetaMantis

I still question why you can't delete your own threads. There really should be an option to do so.