• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
This really is a you problem, others can delete their own threads. Try using a different browser or something.
It's not just him though. I can't delete any of my threads either. And I've used both Chrome and FireFox but I still only see options to either edit the thread title or create a poll. Not deletion option at all.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
It's not just him though. I can't delete any of my threads either. And I've used both Chrome and FireFox but I still only see options to either edit the thread title or create a poll. Not deletion option at all.
Safari is the same thing. No deletion option.

MrJechgo

On the site, can we get an option to zoom screenshots and images?

I know that during coverages, scans and screenshots can be zoomed in, but the rest can't. I'd like to be able to enlarge an episode's images or a Pokémon's official artwork.

EDIT: To further prove that it would work, sometimes an episode's captures will "not load correctly" and be displayed at a much higher resolution. If you reload the page, then those will shrunk back into thumbnails.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I was looking at that list and I agree that it needs updating or at least some clarifications in some parts especially about the ratings system. I don’t think we can upvote people anymore and the closest thing is to user ratings is the reaction scores which don’t seem to be able to be lowered unless someone retracts their reaction to a post. Also I think that there should be a little bit of leeway for the no posting after 60 days of inactivity rule as well as double posting in some situations such as if there is big news that involves the topic at hand. Editing that type of stuff when you’re the last one to post can lead to it going unnoticed. I’m not saying we need to get rid of those rules but I also don’t think they should be enforced as strictly as they have been. And sometimes there is no need to start a new version of a topic or game if the 60 days of inactivity has happened and someone really wants to continue the game but can’t because a month has gone by since the 60 day limit has occurred or they were the last one to post before the topic became inactive and starting a new topic on the same subject doesn’t make sense.

I was going to bring up the bumping rule in regards to the older gen game forums actually. Those forums are all practically dead and there's only a handful of threads that are less than 60 days old. Which makes sense, because they're old games that very few people are still playing, topics related to old games probably aren't going to get responses that frequently. Feels like those threads should also be exceptions to the 60 day rule, the constant locking of anything older than 60 days is exacerbating the issue.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I was going to bring up the bumping rule in regards to the older gen game forums actually. Those forums are all practically dead and there's only a handful of threads that are less than 60 days old. Which makes sense, because they're old games that very few people are still playing, topics related to old games probably aren't going to get responses that frequently. Feels like those threads should also be exceptions to the 60 day rule, the constant locking of anything older than 60 days is exacerbating the issue.

I agree. Exception being anything being over a year or older. I'd be fine if people opened a new thread for stuff then. Anything pinned is another exception too.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'd to propose getting rid of the "Character Bashing" rule in the anime section of SerebiiForums
Simply because it's become pretty much useless and isn't enforced. Comments such as "Goh is a psychopath" or that "The alolan girls are Eww" or "Kukui is a pedo for not wearing a shirt" aren't considered as character bashing anymore as they can come under 'opinions' or that they can be excused and are fair based on 'context' as per a discussion with the anime mod about this issue. Even other character bashing statements such as likening Goh to an incel girl stalker for his relationship with Mew can remain as the original poster can claim it was a joke
So I really don't see the point of that rule when it has so many parameters and IFs and BUTs for certain characters. It just doesn't feel fair

Flashyspark

I'd to propose getting rid of the "Character Bashing" rule in the anime section of SerebiiForums
Simply because it's become pretty much useless and isn't enforced. Comments such as "Goh is a psychopath" or that "The alolan girls are Eww" or "Kukui is a pedo for not wearing a shirt" aren't considered as character bashing anymore as they can come under 'opinions' or that they can be excused and are fair based on 'context' as per a discussion with the anime mod about this issue. Even other character bashing statements such as likening Goh to an incel girl stalker for his relationship with Mew can remain as the original poster can claim it was a joke
So I really don't see the point of that rule when it has so many parameters and IFs and BUTs for certain characters. It just doesn't feel fair
The anime mod doesn't care about interpersonal drama or flaming in that section unless it involves someone posting Google translated Japanese text, then watch out because you'll get a 5 point warning or an auto-ban. But people character bashing anyone who isn't Serena, spamming, making lame pointless jokes, or just being bullies or transphobes? Nah that gets a pass.

You should probably take this up with Serebii or a Super Mod directly though because I don't think they read this topic.

keepitsimple

site of lies
The anime mod doesn't care about interpersonal drama or flaming in that section unless it involves someone posting Google translated Japanese text, then watch out because you'll get a 5 point warning or an auto-ban. But people character bashing anyone who isn't Serena, spamming, making lame pointless jokes, or just being bullies or transphobes? Nah that gets a pass.

You should probably take this up with Serebii or a Super Mod directly though because I don't think they read this topic.
pointless jokes aren't a pressing issue as long as they're funny (or at the expense of someone being a dick) imo, but i agree lately there has been a problem with letting hostility, drama and in some cases homophobia and transphobia fester in PAD

but honestly i wouldn't get my hopes up about a DM being answered either because the lack of caring seems to be higher up as well. already existing mods have offered to be added to PAD to help out and for some reason that hasn't went anywhere

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
There's really only a handful of moderators that still log in anymore. In all reality there needs to be more activness among the mod crew. I don't think anyone shows up anymore because in their eyes the site is not as active anymore. I mean for the most part the only active area on this forum is the anime section. There was more than 1 mod for that section, but I have no idea why no one is really active. It could be because the anime section is too toxic and it's dealing with toxicity 24/7. There really needs to be more than 1 active mod in that section. No mod should have to take on that mess alone. Some users are good people over there, but then there's the toxic ones that just troll and do stupid stuff. Or antagonize others, and then play the martyr when they get in trouble. It's a toxic area. Just being honest.

LazySpy

Kimty
pointless jokes aren't a pressing issue as long as they're funny (or at the expense of someone being a dick) imo, but i agree lately there has been a problem with letting hostility, drama and in some cases homophobia and transphobia fester in PAD

but honestly i wouldn't get my hopes up about a DM being answered either because the lack of caring seems to be higher up as well. already existing mods have offered to be added to PAD to help out and for some reason that hasn't went anywhere
The thing is sometimes these problems are being dealt with but the userbase isn't told, I've seen many people accuse the mods of hypocrisy as well and there seems to be a general unwillingness for the mods to clarify their stances and establish constructive dialogue with the userbase

It's not as frequent but I do feel there is to some degree a lack of transparency and mistrust between the mods and userbase (a phenomena I sadly observed in many internet communities), on top of this problem

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
But I get why there's a lack of transparency sometimes about which members get punished. I think it's better for the forum if regular members don't get to know which members have been warned although it's sometimes obvious when someone gets punished because they usually get banned for a week.

I think he's the main one who deserves the blame however. I mean he's the owner of the site so he should be more active in running it. But he usually only comes here twice a week from what I've seen, to make the weekly episode and POTW threads. Oh and the occasional comment about the spambots. But what about other problems like the lack of mods or other admins who actually do things?

And I don't want to be that guy but there are a couple mods specifically who I've seen online many times when there's spambots around who don't seem to do anything about them. And one of them doesn't seem to do anything ever because the section they're meant to mod is dead most of the time.

Exactly. It should be between the people who've been warned and the mods and/or admins. If people have issues with any warning or infraction, they can boost it to a super mod or admin.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
While we’re on the mod complaint train, can we also defrock mods who haven’t logged on in over a year? This isn’t a paid position, but not being on in over a year to do things like remove spambots or edgelord trolls sounds counterproductive

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Anyone that's infracted should be able to know which mod handed them the infraction as well. It's pretty stupid that when someone is infracted they can't see which mod infracted them.

If it's private, people who've been infracted can still see who infracted them.

00c90bb89ac1be3aa3a2c6b93299c1c8afcc3d3e.jpg

That's how I can view mine, it shows up under View Warning. And the mod who gave me the warning show up there too.

Same via my profile. I can see my old warnings there as well and they seem to be private ones.

Any warning or infraction that I give out, comes with a PM to the person receiving said warning/infraction with a direct link to the post they're being warned/infracted for.

Last edited:

Flashyspark

It's not as frequent but I do feel there is to some degree a lack of transparency and mistrust between the mods and userbase (a phenomena I sadly observed in many internet communities), on top of this problem

But I get why there's a lack of transparency sometimes about which members get punished. I think it's better for the forum if regular members don't get to know which members have been warned although it's sometimes obvious when someone gets punished because they usually get banned for a week.

I think he's the main one who deserves the blame however. I mean he's the owner of the site so he should be more active in running it. But he usually only comes here twice a week from what I've seen, to make the weekly episode and POTW threads. Oh and the occasional comment about the spambots. But what about other problems like the lack of mods or other admins who actually do things?

And I don't want to be that guy but there are a couple mods like lolipiece who I've seen online many times when there's spambots around who don't seem to do anything about them. And lolipiece especially doesn't seem to do much ever because the section they're meant to mod is dead most of the time.

While we’re on the mod complaint train, can we also defrock mods who haven’t logged on in over a year? This isn’t a paid position, but not being on in over a year to do things like remove spambots or edgelord trolls sounds counterproductive
The whole staff member list is a mess; Aquarelle still appears on the staff list even though she asked to be de-modded years ago. Seems like someone did it wrong though because she's still labeled as a staff member but not a moderator. Then there's Arc_Angel, Coronis, Jerichi, Fissurous and a few others who haven't logged in in years.

The only ones who can de-mod members are the admins, but like I said before Serebii only seems to login to make threads, Ellie and Kirby only login a couple times per year, and then there's ricocheting who despite being an admin only does behind-the-scenes stuff dealing with the servers iirc so he'd never get involved in de-modding people.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
The whole staff member list is a mess; Aquarelle still appears on the staff list even though she asked to be de-modded years ago. Seems like someone did it wrong though because she's still labeled as a staff member but not a moderator. Then there's Arc_Angel, Coronis, Jerichi, Fissurous and a few others who haven't logged in in years.

The only ones who can de-mod members are the admins, but like I said before Serebii only seems to login to make threads, Ellie and Kirby only login a couple times per year, and then there's ricocheting who despite being an admin only does behind-the-scenes stuff dealing with the servers iirc so he'd never get involved in de-modding people.
If I remember rightly, the Forum was hosted on Ricocheting servers. That account was presumably used to perform back end stuff that comes with maintaining the hardware running the forums.

keepitsimple

site of lies
If it's private, people who've been infracted can still see who infracted them

if i check the warnings tab it just says it's from a member of staff. thats where it should say names imo because sometimes the offending post is deleted or the warning isn't for a post

anyway regarding the inactive staff thing, it sounds like the solution is to admin one of the active staff members and let them figure out who to recruit to deal with bots, but i guess there's also issues there, whether its the active mods not wanting to be admins or just the fact that it's always a risk to grant new people access to a lot of settings that could break the forum

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
if i check the warnings tab it just says it's from a member of staff. thats where it should say names imo because sometimes the offending post is deleted or the warning isn't for a post

anyway regarding the inactive staff thing, it sounds like the solution is to admin one of the active staff members and let them figure out who to recruit to deal with bots, but i guess there's also issues there, whether its the active mods not wanting to be admins or just the fact that it's always a risk to grant new people access to a lot of settings that could break the forum

You bring up a good point. I agree with you on that. Could have sworn that it showed who infracted/warned me before I was modded.

It's not exactly fair that it's not doing that at times. Especially with deleted posts. If people could at least find out why said post got them warned or infracted, it would be a start.

It's partially why I generally don't delete stuff there. So the warned/infracted person can see the post.

Definite fair point about a general one that's not about posts. If people just want to find out what happened there, just to sort it out.