• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

geminisama

I think we should be allowed to double post as long as the gap between the two posts is more than an hour.
Uh no. There are reasons that the no double posting rule has been in effect for 2 decades, primarily that it prevents spamming and post count +1 frenzies.

If you make a post and nobody replies to it, then clearly people don't have anything to say, and there's no reason to double post just to bring attention to a specific topic that has probably run its course any way. Just edit your post instead if you have something of actual merit to add.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Uh no. There are reasons that the no double posting rule has been in effect for 2 decades, primarily that it prevents spamming and post count +1 frenzies.

If you make a post and nobody replies to it, then clearly people don't have anything to say, and there's no reason to double post just to bring attention to a specific topic that has probably run its course any way. Just edit your post instead if you have something of actual merit to add.
I don’t think this should be a hard rule. There should be some flexibility to allow people to make a “double post” if either some time has passed and there is a substantial addition to the conversation (ie not a “bump/+1”) or two people appear to post at the same time (within a minute or two) and the double post is a reply.

TwilightBlade

I don’t think this should be a hard rule. There should be some flexibility to allow people to make a “double post” if either some time has passed and there is a substantial addition to the conversation (ie not a “bump/+1”) or two people appear to post at the same time (within a minute or two) and the double post is a reply.
Neither should be a cause for double posting tbh. The edit button is right there if people want to add something more to their post. There are already a few exceptions to the double post rule iirc but those pertain to fan fiction threads where the OP has to constantly add more content to their own thread. But what Dark_King25 suggested seems like a disaster waiting to happen especially in the PAD section which he frequents, which is already full of active threads and many conversations that border on spam. Why add to the problem? :[

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Double posting should really only be allowed for the fanfic, clubs, and games/faceoff sections and only the thread's owners should be doing that if it involves a rule change or something like that.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
IIRC, editing a post doesn’t alert people who are watching a thread that there is an update or something to discuss. So if the thread has been idle for a few days and then there is new info (such as in an anime episode thread), people might not see it. Just as an example

keepitsimple

site of lies
Double posting should really only be allowed for the fanfic, clubs, and games/faceoff sections and only the thread's owners should be doing that if it involves a rule change or something like that.
i double post in my faceoffs if i have to. like if the timer is up and i have to announce the result of a round and the last vote was mine, no im not editing the announcement in to my vote post, the alert needs to go to the thread watchers

geminisama

There's already some flexibility from what I remember but it's usually in subforums that aren't that active any way which justifies said flexibility. But making double posts acceptable through the entire forum would be a very bad idea which I think speaks for itself seeing as how double posting has been against the rules for as long as the forum has existed (minus a few exceptions).

IIRC, editing a post doesn’t alert people who are watching a thread that there is an update or something to discuss. So if the thread has been idle for a few days and then there is new info (such as in an anime episode thread), people might not see it. Just as an example
In that case then the person who wants to share the new information could just delete their previous post and post a new one. And even that action is questionable since someone else is likely to post the new information one way or another any way, but it seems like a reasonable compromise.

Really it makes no sense to make double posting acceptable in most cases since it will inevitably be abused by some people. But maybe the mods can give us some insight.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm generally ok with it in some of the sections that get less traffic. Or if enough time has passed.

But I'm usually for people to try to edit in stuff if they're able to. Depending on the situation.

keepitsimple

site of lies
My apologies if this has been previously mentioned, but I think it would be a good idea to add a "Non-Binary" option to the gender under our profiles. Seems like this should be a given in this day and age.
you can choose "no selection" in the gender list and put non binary and pronouns in the "About You" field.

tbh the gender list isn't really needed anyway since man and woman can also go in the About You, so if it's for inclusiveness I'd suggest removing the gender list instead of expanding it because otherwise you're still going to be excluding some identities

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Honestly, I wish the rules were a little stricter. Too many times, the topic gets veered off by non-replies where somebody contributes a post of little to no value or people who want to steer official topics their own way. If we really want to target the derailment in the PAD threads, we should do it elsewhere and make sure people don't try to stir things up.

Xaby

SW-3553-0104-8530
Regarding the rules post, I think the linked pages concerning other topics like the signature rules are directing to a dead page. Maybe it's archived somewhere, or maybe a new post concerning them could be created.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Honestly, things have been talked about very recently.

Joe is just a very busy guy. Some of us have lives outside of here and don't live behind a keyboard like some folks here. The forum has been dead for a long time outside of the Anime Section. Forums as a whole have been fizzling out when it comes to activity unfortunately.

keepitsimple

site of lies
can we increase the limit of people allowed in a PM by like, a lot? It'll make it possible to host mafia games and survivor in the games subforum here. being limited to just big brother kind of stinks, as well as the host not being able to be in alliance PMs to enforce rules if the alliance is 6 people

Manchee

extra toasty
Some of us have lives outside of here and don't live behind a keyboard like some folks here. The forum has been dead for a long time outside of the Anime Section. Forums as a whole have been fizzling out when it comes to activity unfortunately.

"Some of us have lives" lmao yeah ofc.

Dead or not, you think the mindset would be to get people who want to help update sections, increase activity, try to foster community, etc, a position to do so. Instead of keeping people around who serve absolutely no purpose.

The forums underwent the massive shift from vB in, what, 2018? And we still only have 2 forum skins (that are both hideous). No one can even be bothered to make the forum icons (Celebi heads) again to at least make a simple change to keep things looking nice. Or give rules in different sections a refresh. Even if it's only to change one or two things to adapt to how people use forums nowadays.

"Forums are dying" isn't an excuse to put no effort in. Especially in at least 5 years.

Archangel R.J.

Spikeshell Trainer
I realize that mods are busy with their daily lives, but people have been complaining about the broken links in some of the rules topics for almost half a year now but still nothing has been done about it despite it taking only a few minutes to fix. This thread itself could use an update too, for example its opening post still mentions how custom avatars will never happen even though we've had them for several years.

When the forum got hacked last year the staff were quick to resolve the issue that very same day, but it's taken months just to update minor stuff?

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
"Some of us have lives" lmao yeah ofc.

Dead or not, you think the mindset would be to get people who want to help update sections, increase activity, try to foster community, etc, a position to do so. Instead of keeping people around who serve absolutely no purpose.

The forums underwent the massive shift from vB in, what, 2018? And we still only have 2 forum skins (that are both hideous). No one can even be bothered to make the forum icons (Celebi heads) again to at least make a simple change to keep things looking nice. Or give rules in different sections a refresh. Even if it's only to change one or two things to adapt to how people use forums nowadays.

"Forums are dying" isn't an excuse to put no effort in. Especially in at least 5 years.
Um, many of us DO have lives. You don't know what goes on in our lives outside of here, but nice ignorant remark. Laugh all you want like an immature child, but it's the truth. You can "lmao" all you want about it. Grow up.

No kidding. It would be nice to get more activity in the forum. Believe me. If I had the power I would work on some of these things, but it's all Joe's final call. I wish I could help with updates, username changes. Ect. The list goes on. Again, it's not my final call to make. Joe and the Admin call the final shots, and if they aren't active they aren't active.

I'm one of the last remaining active mods on here that does the job and actually gives a crap about this place. Hence why I've chose to stay on as mod.

Constantly complaining on here like a bunch of Karen's has gotten us where? When someone comes on here and claims that most of the staff "dgaf" I'm going to clap back because that's complete utter bogus. Myself and a few others try our hardest around here.

At the end of the day it's all Joe's final call and the Admins on what happens.

That is all.

keepitsimple

site of lies
zolo you edited one of my statuses to make it say that the mods don't do anything, you're not any better with regards to complaining

regardless it's not "living behind a keyboard" to want to know what the sig rules are, no one wants to get an infraction for a rule they can't see

Um, many of us DO have lives. You don't know what goes on in our lives outside of here, but nice ignorant remark.
I'm sure you do, but you were the first person to make a remark about people's lives in the first place, so reacting like this to an lmao is a little ironic.

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
zolo you edited one of my statuses to make it say that the mods don't do anything, you're not any better with regards to complaining

regardless it's not "living behind a keyboard" to want to know what the sig rules are, no one wants to get an infraction for a rule they can't see

I'm sure you do, but you were the first person to make a remark about people's lives in the first place, so reacting like this to an lmao is a little ironic.
I seriously don't remember what status this is that you speak of. I'm not kidding either. I really don't remember.

I have came on in here in the past and voiced my opinion on lack of active mods. I have complained about the lack of moderating. I have openly complained about it hundreds of times because I'm one of the few freaking mods here that still works. It gets tiring logging in and seeing posts categorizing all of us mods as one. "Mods here don't care, blah blah blah."

Sure some mods don't care hence why they're inactive, but there's a few of us here that still do care. I've definitely complained like a Karen in the past about inactive staff openly in here and behind closed doors. Never once did I deny that. Calling me out on that is funny to be honest. My big question is where has that complaining gotten us? Absolutely nowhere. Flooding this thread with complaints, suggestions, whatever you want to call it has gotten nowhere. Absolutely nowhere.

I did bring up the whole lives things because there's some people here that truly think we don't have lives outside of this place. Yall can take it how you want. I really don't care.