• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii.net Update: Friday: Pokémon DS Game Pokémon Black & White: Random Matchup Rul

Maxim

Beyond repair
Pokémon-related games in which you crawl through randomly-generated dungeons or capture Pokémon by drawing circles around them probably seemed pretty random at one time.

But they weren't as out-of-concept as this. Also, the main reason why I like Ranger series is not the concept of drawing circles around Pokemon but because they had a really good plot (except the third title, which was very lacking and the Oblivia Region was small and empty). This game seems to have some plot too. But it just doesn't fit the Pokemon image in my head.

They could as well crossover Pokemon with World of Warcraft or even GTA...

That's simply not true. The last pair of core titles are just over a year old in Japan and are not yet even a year old internationally, and history would indicate the next core title to follow after a period of about two years, which would put it at fall of 2012.

Knowing this as I'm sure you do, can you really say we've been " waiting for a core title TOO FREAKIN' LONG"?

Patterns, patterns, patterns. Screw them.

Especially that this "pattern" works only for Generation IV. Even FRLG weren't released in fall. So, please don't invoke a pattern based on ONLY ONE gen.

BCVM22

But they weren't as out-of-concept as this.

What defines "out-of-concept", exactly?

They could as well crossover Pokemon with World of Warcraft or even GTA...

Or not.

Patterns, patterns, patterns. Screw them.

Except for how they usually do a pretty good job of telling us what's coming, or at least some idea of when.

Especially that this "pattern" works only for Generation IV.

Putting aside the fact that this isn't true (Yellow followed the original pair two years after their release), working "only" for Generation IV isn't the damnation you would paint it as, given that IV is the most recent complete generation. And furthermore, Emerald was in fact two years after Ruby and Sapphire. The rub is that with the debut of the DS bearing down (and thus a need to get the remaining GBA titles to market before then), Fire Red and Leaf Green were placed in their unusual January release spot. Why that means we can more or less consider them outliers and not an indicator of anything else is addressed next.

Even FRLG weren't released in fall.

The sole core title (pair) of the last eleven to not be a Q4 release in Japan. Blue, Yellow, Gold/Silver, Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, Black/White; all Q4 releases in Japan.

What do you suppose holds more water: the ten releases that were somewhere between September-December, or the one that wasn't?

So, please don't invoke a pattern based on ONLY ONE gen.

Then don't claim we've been waiting "TOO FREAKIN' LONG" when it's only been a year. The empty hyperbole is yours, not mine.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
They've had to smoke A LOT of weed to think this up.

Hell, I'd prefer Grey. This game is totally irrelevant to my interests.

And don't expect this to be released in US. Nobunaga no Yabou is a Japan-only series.

Also, is it made by Koei?

That's not true.

It has come out in the US.

Maxim

Beyond repair
What defines "out-of-concept", exactly?

If you don't see the GIGANTIC difference between Pokemon and Nobunaga series, then I guess you won't understand this.

Why not? It's just as unfitting.

Except for how they usually do a pretty good job of telling us what's coming, or at least some idea of when.

No, they don't because they don't exist.

Putting aside the fact that this isn't true (Yellow followed the original pair two years after their release), working "only" for Generation IV isn't the damnation you would paint it as, given that IV is the most recent complete generation. And furthermore, Emerald was in fact two years after Ruby and Sapphire. The rub is that with the debut of the DS bearing down (and thus a need to get the remaining GBA titles to market before then), Fire Red and Leaf Green were placed in their unusual January release spot. Why that means we can more or less consider them outliers and not an indicator of anything else is addressed next.

Yellow wasn't the third version in Japan. Blue was.

RG and B - 8 months between
GS and C - 1 year between
RS and FRLG - 1 year and 2 months between
DP and Pt - 2 years between

Can you see it now? There is absolutely NO PATTERN about how long the break between two core titles is.

And the fact that Generation IV is most recent means nothing. None of the generations followed the timeslots of the previous one, so why would this one? Of course, it can but it's by no means set in stone. It's too early to talk about any patterns.

If there is any noticeable pattern among these dates, that would be that the break between core title releases extends by two months with each generation. But Generation IV has broken this.

Also, they can release a game anytime they won't. It's not that GF members hibernate or anything like that. Those patterns are plain stupid. I'm sure that if someone told Masuda how much Pokefans love to mathematically analyze game release dates, he'd probably laugh his butt off.

BCVM22

If you don't see the GIGANTIC difference between Pokemon and Nobunaga series, then I guess you won't understand this.

Not terribly greater than any difference between Pokémon and Mystery Dungeon. You're fabricating a gap far wider than any actual one that exists. And conceptually, there's still nothing particularly Pokémon-esque about a game that involves drawing circles. The storylines that you praise exist completely independently of that gameplay core.

Why not? It's just as unfitting.

Mmmno. Not even close.

No, they don't because they don't exist.

No, they exist. You simply choose to ignore them because they don't support the ill-conceived case you're trying to make.

Yellow wasn't the third version in Japan. Blue was.

Gosh, really? Thanks. No way I knew that. Go look up the time between Blue and Yellow, for the record.

Also, they can release a game anytime they won't. It's not that GF members hibernate or anything like that. Those patterns are plain stupid.

Except for how we've pretty clearly established how they favor fall releases for core titles. With that being the case and with them clearly not releasing a core title in the fall season just gone by, couldn't anyone have told you that this new game reveal - and the last two or three you've whined about in identical fashion - probably wouldn't be one yet either, simply because it's too early? That's indisputable regardless of what you choose to believe or not believe, that they would not reveal in December or January a game not to be released until September or October. You can go look that up too: Platinum, HG/SS, Black/White were all spring reveals for fall releases. Logic would have dictated, and did, that this particular mystery reveal was simply too early for it to realistically be a new core title.

Bottom line? Nothing in particular pointed to this reveal being a core title. You had to have known this and yet you complain at the outcome anyway.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I see I'm not the only one who doesn't know anything about the series that they're crossing over with... It does look very interesting, though I haven't a clue what the gameplay will be like. Is anyone here familiar with the series and/or know a link to a description about it (preferably in English)? I'd like to learn a little more.

To me, it looks a little like Fire Emblem, mostly in that it seems to be a grid-based strategy game. That seems a cool, interesting and original take on pokemon battling. I hope that, when this game comes out, it really is set in the pokemon world, and not some different crossover-verse. We may get a little more backstory about how the pokemon world as we know it came to be (Now, I'm not saying we'll see Arceus shape it, but we'll see things outside the normal timeline of the games).

What strikes me as interesting is that it's obvious there are some kind of "trainers" in the game, one of whom you control. It also seems that you can control at least a few different pokemon. But I doubt we'll see pokeballs. So I wonder... how will "capture" work in this game? Will it be occasionally "befriending" after battle, some kind of verbal recruitment like in Fire Emblem, or some new mechanic?

DSW

Dual-Screen Wonder
What strikes me as interesting is that it's obvious there are some kind of "trainers" in the game, one of whom you control. It also seems that you can control at least a few different pokemon. But I doubt we'll see pokeballs. So I wonder... how will "capture" work in this game? Will it be occasionally "befriending" after battle, some kind of verbal recruitment like in Fire Emblem, or some new mechanic?

I vaguely recall (and I'll probably get some details wrong) in Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, it was an SRPG with people on the grid, and each person controlled a party of demons, who fought a turn based battle with another party of demons upon contact with that party's sprite (represented by the leader of the demon party) Furthermore, in Strange Journey (which I recall a lot better than Devil Survivor) Demons could be recruited through both methods you wondered about, basically randomly befriending them after beating them down or by talking to them during battles. I could see this spinoff game doing something similar for battles and recruitment.

In semi-unrelated news, it was a long shot, but I wanted to go back to Hoenn. It's my favorite region, with all its diverse landscapes.