• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Paranormal & Crypto-zoological Society

Which is the most Outrageous (funny, stupid, unbelievable) Hoax? non-members can vote

• Cardiff Giant, a supposedly petrified giant, actually carved from gypsum (1869)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Living Diplocaulas (extinct lizard) discovered, clay model (2004)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Mary Toft supposedly gave birth to rabbit and cat parts following a miscarriage (1726)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Smoking Banana Peels to get high, aka bananadine (1960s-70s, re-emerged in 1990s)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeReshiram93

THE MANNIS ARISES
I could do a magazine. Maybe I can make a article concerning cryptids? We all know they need a little love. Or maybe I can help in the quiz/test/puzzle thing. Either way I'll be happy to help out.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I'm a senior member now? YAY! By the way, sorry for the lack of activity recently. I've been at camp all week.

A magazine sounds awesome. I'd love to write something for it, preferably an article if I can think of a topic.

So, animals and ghosts, huh? It's a really interesting concept to me. There's no doubt that other animals can sense things that we, as humans, can't. Whether those things are supernatural in any way is another matter entirely. Animals are more in-tune to there surroundings than humans, as they need to be to survive in the wild. Naturally, small changes in their environments would affect them. A great white shark in an aquarium (I forgot the name), for example, repeatedly slammed its face into the glass until it had to be released for its own safety. It was later discovered that the temperature in the tank was approximately two degrees warmer than it was supposed to be. My point is, the area that horse mentioned earlier refused to enter may have just smelled odd or something. The other horses also noticed the smell, but reacted differently. There's my explanation. I would still be interested in the experiment, though, just to see how it panned out.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Okay, since it sounds like we have a few interested members:

SPCS - eMagazine/ePaper Submissions Guidelines
(Please submit names for the paper, ‘SPCS Digest’, ‘SPCS Biannual’)

Possible Projects:
* Articles (Historic/Research, Documentary)
* DIY Articles (Tutorials, Field Guides, Travel/Location Guides)
* Reviews (Media Reviews - Product Reviews)
* Art (Article Images, Cover Art, Fan Art)
* Fiction (Stories, Scripts, Poems)
* Fun Stuff (Quizzes, Tests, Puzzles)

1. PM your project plan(s) to VampirateMace. This will insure that your project stays a surprise for the other members, and she can plan the magazine layout. She can also give you direction if you want to make art to go alongside another member’s article.

2. The paper is set to be released in mid-late January and mid-late July. At the start of the month when the next paper is due, VampirateMace will PM you to remind you that you have about two weeks to PM your projects to her.

3. When submitting your project, please include the name you’d like it to be attributed to, list any research sources used/cited, as well as a title if applicable. Projects with particularly poor grammar or lots of spelling mistakes may be selected to be revised then published in a later issue.

Last edited:

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
What I mean is I have trouble learning how to navigate a website. My early days on Serebii are a perfect example. Heck, I couldn't even copy paste! While I'll give it my best shot, I don't want to screw up the magazine in any way due to my inexperiance and difficulty learning new websites. I''l help by contributting things to this thread, and then someone else could put it on the magazine. All that aside, a magazine for this club seems like a great idea.

@GreatGuy: I could try, but its not much of a theory. Ghosts and haunted areas would have to be proven before such a hypothesis and test could be published.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Oh, grassmaster, you wouldn't have to worry about the website part of it at all. Your article doesn't need to be anything more than a few paragraphs PMed to me (unlike posting it in the thread this keeps it secret, and I can easily fix it into a website friendly form from there, plus I can double check it for errors. Also that way we don’t have it open like a wiki so that anyone could rewrite it, wikipedia had to lock some of their articles because of stuff like that). I'll put the site together, and it should be pretty simple to navigate/read considering there won't be many options: download, read online, archives, page forward, page back

I think it'd be nice if you went ahead and wrote an article on your proposed experiment. You don't actually have to test it or prove what areas are haunted in order to write about how the experiment would work, the current use of human mediums and animals (TAPS has a dog with them sometimes), or do further research the animals you'd choose.

Edit:
Updated the paper submission instructions slightly.

Last edited:

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
Ok, that sounds simple enough. I'm in! I'll get started on the ghosts/animal sensory article soon.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Okay it's a week from August, so as promised, here's the theme and rules for the story contest:

SPCS’s ’The Family Ghost’ Short Story Contest

It’s almost time for our first short story contest. And this contest’s theme is ‘The Family Ghost.’

Since the Japanese (Buddhist) holiday of “Obon (Bon) Festival” usually occurs in July or August, I thought this would be a fitting theme. Like the Western “Day of the Dead/Día de los Muertos” this is a time when deceased relatives are believed to come back from the spirit realm to visit the living. The 3 days of Obon are typically celebrated with offerings, food, dance, carnivals, floating paper lanterns, and fireworks.
*(Yu Lan, Hungry Ghost Festival, is the Chinese equivalent of Obon)

So put on your thinking caps and come up with a family themed ghost story (You may also relay real accounts as long as the writing is your own work). The ghost(s) does not actually have to be a family member, or even a ghost in the ectoplasmic sense of the word, but the story should involve family and something paranormal or mythical in such a way that the title could be swapped with ‘The Family Ghost’ and still make sense.

Official Start Date: August 1
End Date: September 1
The winner will be selected sometime after the end of the contest, however the exact date of the announcement is subject to the number and length of entries, as well as the real-life needs of the judge(s).

Rules:
1. The story must be your own original work. You may relay or base your story on real accounts, but the work needs to be your own. In other words, plagiarism is grounds for immediate disqualification.
2. The story should be no less than 300 words long. There is no upper word limit, but please use spoiler tags if you story gets beyond 600 words (you should leave the beginning outside the tags to get us interested).
3. Please follow Serebii’s forum rules, and post a spoiler warning over any content that is PG-13 or higher.

If you'd like to be a judge (you won't be allowed a story entry) let me know. Judging is to be done based on creativity, adherence to theme, writing skill, and the overall effect of the story on the reader.

Last edited:

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
Sorry for the delay on first-time posting. I really needed to be out helping with moving. But, here I am. First of all, you will need to know, I love all possible ways of paranormal things. Whilst it can be annoying sometimes to talk with a guy that corrects a kid that is reading a book about Myths because the books doesn't state that Set was Osiris' brother, most of you will probably find me to be an attractive gentleman, which has several ways of having fun and that has a kinda different life. Second, you will probably want to know that I'm Brazilian. Know Saci Pererê's myth? I do. Third, I believe I'm paranormal. Future seeing, sometimes, when I get to dream. Finding ghosts? Surely, if I want (sometimes, if I don 't XD). Trying to get rid of an annoying ghost that was scaring my friends and was manifestating through a "kids game" with my crush while trying to get myself not so damn scared they would get totally paranoic with it? Sure, a one-day task. If I want to get myself against Bloody Mary? No, I'm kinda afraid it may be way too much for me

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
In getting rid of ghosts or discouraging ghostly activity, not being afraid or intimidated seems to be key.

Thanks for the advice. Luckily enough, no one ever does this kind of idiot things anymore in my class. Either way, people treated me like a real hero. Until I had to say it was fake so that they would stop playing with things that creeped them to death(this is an ironic phrase, isn 't it?). About the crush part, it was really nice indeed, and we had some "fun" trying to get them out of the ghosts' game

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
By game, do you mean something like an oijia board? (spelling?)

Grassmaster's suggestion for writing horror scripts as the Oct contest gave me an idea, that perhapes we could have a horror movie themed team challenge for our contest. Points would be awarded each week for each team member that finished that week's task.

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
By game, do you mean something like an oijia board? (spelling?)

Grassmaster's suggestion for writing horror scripts as the Oct contest gave me an idea, that perhapes we could have a horror movie themed team challenge for our contest. Points would be awarded each week for each team member that finished that week's task.

It is something like it. We play two "games" (the word "jogo", which can be translated to "game", can also mean other things. I called it "game" because well, I'm not an English-Portuguese Dictionary) similar in Brazil: One with a glass and one with a compass (sorry, Google Translate wasn 't this good now. It is that thing we use to draw circles in a clean paper). No one that I know uses the glass, because lots of people get hurt, at least in the legends about the game. I didn 't play it myself, but my mom did when she was young. And, according to her, the glass broke itself against a wall. Well, they played the compass game. They drew an Ouija Table in a blank paper, and started the "game". If you look for it on You Tube and can understand what the "players" tell, I'm sure you will get it.

About the contest, I would like to say it is a nice idea, which I totally approve. And, as soon as possible, I will start my story in the Obon festival. I will try to get my crush's help, anything wron g with it? If yes, tell me as soon as possible. BTW, she isn' t on Serebiiforums. And I don 't think getting help from her would be plagiarism. Either way, I'm going to wait until I get the actual answer

Hey, will the winning story go into the magazine? Also, does it have to do with the holiday or can I (we) never mention it?

I don't really want to be a judge, but if you want an extra one (say, there isn't another volunteer and the deadline is coming fast), I'll be happy to abandon my story and help judge.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Pokémon Trainer Xande:
I pretty sure ‘compass’ in in fact the right word for what you’re describing, which I know may be confusing as the navigational compass is far better known. Some boards are ‘played’ using a puck (A triangular piece of plastic with a window in it just the right size for the letters on the board).

Some scientist believe the motion is actually involuntary twitching of the ‘players.’ Set a coin on a table and rest two fingers on it. Without you consciously moving, the fingers on the coin should twitch anyways and move it. I’m not ruling out ghosts or demons in some cases, but that’s one theory.

I guess that’s okay, I didn’t set any rules against multiple authors. Just make sure you list anyone who works on the story (a screen/pen name is fine).

greatguy:
Sure, I think it’s be great to feature the winner in the magazine, maybe even a runner up or two.

Your story does not have involve the holiday, it’s just why I chose to do that theme in August.

Don’t worry about judging, if I don’t get volunteers here, I can probably find an outside judge(s).

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
Pokémon Trainer Xande:
I pretty sure ‘compass’ in in fact the right word for what you’re describing, which I know may be confusing as the navigational compass is far better known. Some boards are ‘played’ using a puck (A triangular piece of plastic with a window in it just the right size for the letters on the board).

Some scientist believe the motion is actually involuntary twitching of the ‘players.’ Set a coin on a table and rest two fingers on it. Without you consciously moving, the fingers on the coin should twitch anyways and move it. I’m not ruling out ghosts or demons in some cases, but that’s one theory.

I guess that’s okay, I didn’t set any rules against multiple authors. Just make sure you list anyone who works on the story (a screen/pen name is fine).

Well, I always like all kinds of theorys. As such, I'm glad that you said it, even because I heard it lots of times before too. I believe it were some ghosts, but it is up to you to decide. And thanks for letting me take help from her.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I'll judge if you'd like. I don't plan on entering a story, so I'll be eligible.

I meant, I won't volunteer, but if you need another judge I'll do it.

So...any paranormal/cryptozoological stuff to talk about? I'm fresh out of ideas.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Treecko's Awesomeness: Great

greatguy: How about a discussion of the similarities in mythology worldwide? Most cultures have a creation story, a great flood story, some version of dragons, walking dead, and merpeople.

Hudsonn98

Hey...sorry I've been so inactive. (okay...no activity) I've been so busy with my clan (@ Treekos Awesomeness...a post on THT wouldn't hurt...lol). So...in other words I'm back. What are we discussing?

Status
Not open for further replies.