• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Paranormal & Crypto-zoological Society

Which is the most Outrageous (funny, stupid, unbelievable) Hoax? non-members can vote

• Cardiff Giant, a supposedly petrified giant, actually carved from gypsum (1869)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Living Diplocaulas (extinct lizard) discovered, clay model (2004)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Mary Toft supposedly gave birth to rabbit and cat parts following a miscarriage (1726)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Smoking Banana Peels to get high, aka bananadine (1960s-70s, re-emerged in 1990s)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
News update (Last month was a really slow month for paranormal news), supposed photographic evidence of Nessie! ...so let's know if you can see it, because there's really not much to see.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I saw it and immediately thought "rock". It looks like a rock.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Well, at least we agree on it. As for the similarities between mythologies mentioned a page ago, I think a lot of them can be explained by using psychology. The creation story is simple: Humans have always wanted to know where we come from, so we're bound to make up a story on how it might have happened.

The great flood is a little harder. I think that it might have to do with floods just being a huge scale, and almost universal, disaster. A fire may be a threat to a group of people living mostly in a forest, or even a prairie, but it wouldn't really be a major concern to desert dwellers, or a group that lives by the ocean. Hurricanes and other storms usually affect tropical coastlines more than anything else. Earthquakes only really happen on a large scale on fault lines. Floods, on the other hand, can happen anywhere where there's water. Since humans pretty much have to live by water, it's a constant fear. Also, it can destroy a huge area. Things we fear, we imagine stories about.

Dragons are pretty similar. Reptiles are alien to us, as mammals. They're different, and thus, we fear them. To make them scarier, why not make them huge, and give them the ability to fly and breathe fire? Fossils of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals also might have contributed to this.

Again with the fear, we have the walking dead. Let's face it. Zombies are scary. They're just like us, except they're the exact opposite. They look like us, and maybe even like people we knew when they were alive, but they act like mindless animals. Think about it: If the dead really did rise from the ground, would you be able to kill (re-kill?) your own family members, even if they were trying to eat you?

Merpeople, though? I got nothing.

I'd be able to re-kill my family members easily.

If they're trying to kill me and have transformed into mindless abominations then it's time to whip out a baseball bat and crush them into pieces.

Merpeople are the ethereal manifestations of the male desire to produce millions of babies. The fish skin on their lower half is the subconscious' reminder that it's actually impossible to do. I'm with you, I don't know...

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
TA: I think I've heard most those explainations before, mostly on Discovery and Science specials, but they're good theories. I remember something about a rush town (not sure what mineral/metal) that was in a desert and burned down three times in two years (before they thought to use brick instead of importing more wood), meaning that's not always safe either, so it does beg the question why isn't there a large scale fire myth?

Hudsonn98: Yeah, I was hoping someone would point it out to me. Normally the LiveScience Site has the red circles on their images to help in locating the spot in question, so maybe they couldn't see it either.

Just a reminder, you've got about 3 weeks to submit your stories for the contest.

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
Ok, great delay again. But finally, I will be able to be on almost every day (YAY). Well, I was reading a national magazine here from Brazil, and found the interesting history of a guy from somewhere in America (can 't remember now) that says he was dead and was reborn as a zombie by a vodoo "wizard" (fresh out of term ideas. The Familiar Ghost history will have correct terms though). I will try to post the total history in here, but I must say, I'm not exactly into it. It just doesn't make sense. He didn 't remember lots of things, but remember his family's names and things about the life "before-burial". He was reborn without any rational thoughts, but was also druged by the vodoo guy so that he may not remember anything and would work as a slave. I just think it won't mean nothing more than news for "Globo Repórter", a national program on TV that afirms lots of things but isn 't more than people walking in circles, never able to get to an end.

In the Contest: Finally talked with my helper. We are totally into it.

About the zombie apocalypse thing: Me and my crush/best friend have made a deal: If one of us becomes a zombie, the other one CAN re-kill the other, but must give he/she a proper burial

Also, I've heard on Internet about the legend of the "Legmonger"(sic)[LAST EDIT FOR SOME TIME, I SWEAR.] What you think about it?I will just (shamelessly) Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V what I've read:

THE LEGMONGER (Japanese Urban Legend)

One afternoon, a boy walking home from school was approached by an old woman.
“Do you want a leg? Do you want a leeeg?”
The boy tried to ignore her but she wouldn’t go away.
“Do want a leeg? Do you want a leeeg?”
She asked him, over and over again.
“I don’t want a leg!” The boy rebuffed her harshly.

A horrible scream rang out in the darkening street.

People who rushed to the scene got the shock of their lives.
On the street lay a boy who got his leg torn off.

——————————————————————-

There is no escape from the Legmonger.
If you say no to the monster, you will lose your leg like the boy above; but say yes to her and she will put the third leg on you, whether you like it or not.

There is only one answer that would get you safely out of the situation:
Tell her, “I don’t want your service, but I suggest you go and ask___(someone’s name)”
She would do as you say and go to the other person, but make sure you say the name of someone you don’t like…..(he he he)

Ok, adding one more thing, about Nessie. It wouldn 't be strange that (s)he would be just wandering around, at the sea shore, instead of in the bottom, where the probabilities of it being found were smaller?. Also, it isn't strange that Nessie would be with all the body in the water, except a little scale, which looks EXACTLY like a rock?

Last edited:

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
More Nessie! This one acturally looks like something:
Best yet?

Presumably Nessie is a reptile, and needs to breath air, so she'd have to surface.

I believe the term you're looking for is 'witch doctor', and I believe the Haitian word is Baktor. I've heard about this guy before too, but he's suggesting the brain damage done to zombies can be reversed. Whist in the grave, the not quite dead person gets too little oxygen to function mentally later when released by the witch doctor.

Legmonger... I've not heard of it, but is sounds like a typical Japanese monster. Most Japanese myths seem to have something to do with women and/or body parts.

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
More Nessie! This one acturally looks like something:
Best yet?

Presumably Nessie is a reptile, and needs to breath air, so she'd have to surface.

Well, your theory is interesting for sure, but wouldn 't it be already proved it is real because it would need to spend way too much time in the surface breathing? Also, I couldn 't see the image, because it wasn 't able for seeing "in my region" o_O

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I see where it's coming from this time (by which I mean it might not be a rock), but it could still be anything. Possibly a seal, which have been shown to swim in the lake.

Yeah, it doesn't look like much...

I watched the latest episode of Ancient Aliens a few days ago and my IQ dropped 20 points. It was theorizing that Cro-Magnons were hybrids of Neanderthal and alien DNA (with no evidence whatsoever), trying to convince people that aliens visited earth in the past and were worshipped as deities (with flimsy and almost non-existent evidence), and having "scientific" discussions on whether December 21st is when aliens will reveal themselves to humans (based on the latter).

I can't point out everything wrong with the show; there was too much. The people who do this program are overpaid.

Did anyone else see it?

There's a reason I don't watch TV much anymore...

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
Oh, Ancient Aliens! I love that show. Especially the guy with the hair that looks like a bird. Seriously, though, it is a mockery of everything science ever stood for. I sometimes watch it for cheap laughs, but then feel guilty for giving business to that evil, evil bunch of pseudoscience. There is no way that aliens could have interbred with any earth dwelling creature. Disregarding the squick factor, I mentioned earlier in the thread that there is almost no chance that extraterrestrials would even look like us, let alone share enough DNA to breed with us successfully.

On the subject of Nessie, my favorite theory is (of course) convergent evolution. Specifically, a sea turtle evolving to look like a plesiosaur. It still doesn't make much sense as to how it got there in the first place (or what it eats), but it makes more sense than a sustainable, breeding group of plesiosaurs that somehow escaped our notice for the several thousand years that people have live near Loch Ness (not to mention having no visible adaptations besides the ability to survive in fresh water). Part of me may have realized, however, that the main reason I like this theory is the fact that it means that Lapras was real at some point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.