• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Paranormal & Crypto-zoological Society

Which is the most Outrageous (funny, stupid, unbelievable) Hoax? non-members can vote

• Cardiff Giant, a supposedly petrified giant, actually carved from gypsum (1869)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Living Diplocaulas (extinct lizard) discovered, clay model (2004)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Mary Toft supposedly gave birth to rabbit and cat parts following a miscarriage (1726)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Smoking Banana Peels to get high, aka bananadine (1960s-70s, re-emerged in 1990s)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
That's a very good point. It would make sense for it to burrow, as pressure from early humans would likely force it to go into hiding. Still, though, it would have to come out at some point, and considering how small the forested area of Puerto Rico is, it almost definately would have been observed before. I still thing that the sightings could be explained as canids. Most reports are of mangled corpses of livestock, not of the animal itself. The reports of scaly skin could be from a desiese such as mange.

Speaking of the corpses, the way they're eaten isn't actually that strange.The soft tissue that is missing is just the easiest part of the animal for small scavengers to eat. The blood most likely dried up, rather than being drained from the body.

I like the burrowing theory. I don't know how it could conceal the hole though.

Oh, and Treecko's Awesomeness, why are there usually just two small holes? I don't think many scavengers can get in holes the size of teeth...

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I like the burrowing theory. I don't know how it could conceal the hole though.

Oh, and Treecko's Awesomeness, why are there usually just two small holes? I don't think many scavengers can get in holes the size of teeth...

Maggots and flies can, as well as most other insect scavengers.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
The blood most likely dried up, rather than being drained from the body.

Actually I remember a study where they autopsied some of the livestock, and found they'd lost no more blood than in a usual predator related death. They did mention the odd soft tissues eaten was most likely maggots, but if the killer isn't a sick canine, than it should have eaten more.

EDIT: Grassmaster, after watching the trailer, that's not the movie I was thinking of (which makes me wonder what it was called) and acturally looks pretty entertaining. Though Planet 51 looked entertaining, but in reality the plost sowly degraded over the course of the movie.

Last edited:
[spoil]
The Family Ghost

Max glanced around the small room. Actually, it was the only room. The apartment was small, and Max doubted that two people could comfortably live in it.

Noticing she had resumed talking, he turned to the woman trying to lease the apartment and focused on his sense of hearing. He was old, and his ears had gotten continually worse as years progressed.

"...Well, it's a little small, but I'm sure you'll like it. It has a shower, a clean toilet," she said, stressing the clean. "And it comes with its own bed!"

Do apartments usually include beds? Max thought. He couldn't remember.

"We'll take it," said Reg, jolting Max out of his thoughts.

"Are you sure?" asked Reg's young wife, Molly.

"It'll be fine. Great! Cheap--"

Max laughed to himself. The monthly rent was twenty dollars.

"Clean--"

Max glanced at a mousetrap across the hallway through the open door.

"And perfect for a family just starting out!"

"Just starting out..." And going to be ending quickly, Max mused. The young couple had hardly known each other before they got married, and Max didn't think the marriage would last long. In his opinion, they had started dating simply because everyone else did it and they wanted to fit in. They were very different in interests and such.

Max hoped the marriage would end soon. He wasn't being spiteful; both members of the matrimony were dull people, and he was growing bored with their mouldy jokes, plastic cheerfulness, and...what was it called? Indolence? Innocence? No, those didn't seem like the right terms.

Well, he'd think of the word later. If there was one thing he had enough of-and it wasn't hair-it was time.

Time, and more time. He didn't have a job, he didn't have responsibilities, he wasn't interested in talking with people, and people weren't interested in talking with him-unless they were selling funeral plans.

He wanted to sleep. Sleep, and escape the monotony. But try as he might, he could never devise a way to lure drowsiness upon him. The last time he slept was...when? He couldn't remember. The days blurred by for him. The last thing of importance he remembered was Reg and Molly's wedding. He knew there were others, though...

Was it normal for old people to forget things? There was a disease, he remembered. It started with E...or was it O? It caused people to forget their entire lives every few minutes. Was that his problem?

No! his mind screamed at him. He was fine. He wasn't-couldn't be slipping...He was too young to be over the hill! He was only eighty something!

He struggled to remember something before the wedding. Their dating! How could he have forgotten that? He'd just been thinking about it a few minutes ago!

Further back! Ray's birth, awaited by dread for his parents. He had been an unwanted baby.

What else? He searched his mind.

Then he remembered. Remembered everything. All the way back to his death. He had died, then regained conscience a few hours later. Since then, he followed his first-born descendants and watching over them.

He found himself surprised by this fact. But of course, it was his decision. To watch over...to watch over...

Panic rose in his chest. He couldn't forget again! Not now! Why couldn't he remember things?

But then his ectoplasmic heart slowed, and his ethereal pituitary gland stopped releasing insubstantial panic hormones. He knew he would not forget his vow to himself, he would not forget his duty. Even if he lost himself, even if he forgot who he was, he would watch over his descendants to the end of time.[/spoil]

This is my first story I've ever written, so it probably won't be that good. And sorry for the delay.

I apologize for the cheezy ending.

AwesomeReshiram93

THE MANNIS ARISES
Greatguy if you think that is cheesy you should have looked at my seventh grade "epic" story's ending.

Am I the only one that thinks that the chupacabra is possibly a oversized vampire bat? Very few people have seen it and in a lot of the sightings it seems to have bat like wings. It could be mostly terrestrial and it probably prey on goats and smaller fauna and only drain their blood. Also it would make sense for tropical zones where it could have evolved to go after bigger creatures like goats or deer. But that's just my theory. For all we know it could be a giant alien kangaroo.

You know, that actually makes sense. And it explains how they disappear so quickly...

The gargantuan kangaroo would also make sense, except that its feet would leave craters in the ground.

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
Am I the only one that thinks that the chupacabra is possibly a oversized vampire bat? Very few people have seen it and in a lot of the sightings it seems to have bat like wings. It could be mostly terrestrial and it probably prey on goats and smaller fauna and only drain their blood. Also it would make sense for tropical zones where it could have evolved to go after bigger creatures like goats or deer. But that's just my theory. For all we know it could be a giant alien kangaroo.

Thats very interesting. Primeval, a BBC sci-fi show that focuses on portal connecting two different times, showed a future predator that evolved from a bat. Thats my favorite show.

I have to disagree on the vampire bat though, but only for one reason. Vampire bats are very succesful, because they don't kill their prey. A single vampire bat can live on less than 4 sheep sized animals for its entire life. Its keeps them alive because killing them would (A): loose blood in the ground, (B): have to find another sheep or prey animal the next night, and (C): it would mean 1 less sheep to drink blood from.

These bats are the perfect predator. They can feed from the same animal hundreds of times, never killing it (thats not not counting rabies). There like an herbivore, eating from another organism without killing it. I don't think vampire bats would try to kill prey because of this.

However, other bat species are much more violent killer, and I could imagine another bat being a larger predator. Like the fish or frog eating bats. They activly hunt, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I'm not buying that it's a giant bat. If a vampire bat, it would leave victims alive, if another type, it would eat more. Vampire bats can however crawl around on all fours (other bats can only army crawl at best... want weird bat facts? There's a species of bat with suction cups on it's wings and ankles). Of course a giant alien kangaroo doesn't sound plausible either, given other planets shouldn't have kangaroos! :D

Added more news, nothing too thrilling. YOU ALL got a bit over 24 hours for finish up and post your stories!

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
Sorry guys, but I couldn 't write my story at all. Got lots of things happening in real life. Either way, not so much to share

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
So, then, it appears that greatguy wins by default. The story was still quite good, though, if a bit predictable. It's hard to believe that that was your first go at it.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Yes it appears greatguy wins by default (I meant to post this yesterday). Congratulations, you now have permission to use our Winner Badge in your signature:
winnerbadge001.png

And may we use your story in our SPCS January magazine?

… I hope our October team challenge will get more entrants.

Well, that was a surprising lack of entries. And sure, use it for whatever. I'll probably go back and edit it, though.

And yeah, I'll try to compete in the October thingie. I can't believe no one else posted a story, though...

So VampirateMace, why can't other planets have kangaroo-ish like animals, protists, or any other class not yet discovered by humans? Jumping isn't hard, and a species that can jump very high could easily evolve, compared to bacteria to huge reptiles. And if the planet had high gravity, it would be able to jump even higher.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
If life evolved independently on another planet, it likely would not evolve the same way it had on Earth. Something might be kangaroo-ish, but I seriously doubt it would be a kangaroo, it would likely be as close to a kangaroo as a toaster is to a SUV.

On the other hand if we assume there's a creator than, the creator likely would seed the universe diffrently simply out creativity (unless of course kangaroos and such were their favorites).

Well yeah, unless one's using the Improbability Drive, two species of kangaroos exactly alike are about 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000500000000007163 to three trillion. I was talking about something that could jump high enough to not be seen.

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
Well yeah, unless one's using the Improbability Drive, two species of kangaroos exactly alike are about 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000500000000007163 to three trillion. I was talking about something that could jump high enough to not be seen.

Well, if you wanted an animal that could jump high enough to not be seen, there are much better candidates that the kangaroo. Mountain lions can jump almost 20 feet straight up, and fleas can jump 30 times their own lenght.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord

I see what you did there...

But Grassmaster is right, kangaroos, who are known for jumping, don't really jump all that high usually.

Okay, so a giant mutated flea could work. They drink blood, can jump and fly, and are creepy enough to be monsters. Anyone think this is plausible?

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
How big a flea we talking about? Insect life on Earth is restricted by the current atmospheric pressure, temperature, oxygen, and humidity levels. But the Hercules beetle is pretty big, and there were some pretty big insects in the past. - It could also be a giant land dwelling crab for that matter. Couldn’t really jump, but like reptiles it could burrow away to hide.

Is it me or is the alternate creature Chupacabra discussion just as strange as the original creature proposed by pop culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.