• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii Paranormal & Crypto-zoological Society

Which is the most Outrageous (funny, stupid, unbelievable) Hoax? non-members can vote

• Cardiff Giant, a supposedly petrified giant, actually carved from gypsum (1869)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Living Diplocaulas (extinct lizard) discovered, clay model (2004)

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Mary Toft supposedly gave birth to rabbit and cat parts following a miscarriage (1726)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Smoking Banana Peels to get high, aka bananadine (1960s-70s, re-emerged in 1990s)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
Yeah, Kangaroos are more long distance jumpers. While they can leap the lenth of a school bus, they don't normally jump very high.

@GreatGuy: While plausible, I don't think there is enough oxygen in our atmosphere to support such a large insect. The biggest insect to ever live was meganuera, a dragonfly with a three-foot wingspan. That was in the Carboniferous period, about 300 mya. Oxygen levels then were much higher.

@VampirateMace: well, we've discussed thylacosimilus, gorgonopsids, alien kangaroo's, terrestrial predatory bats, giant fleas, and I think there was a doctor who reference in there. I'd say we have almost all the bases covered.

I like the crab idea. Maybe it could be a carnivorous relative of the coconut crab, which is a huge land crab. Their width is about that of a car tire.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Actually it was The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but we’ll be sure to make a Doctor Who reference as soon as there is a good opportunity.

Now, the dragonfly does win for wingspan, but weren’t there centipedes with even larger bodies?

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
I know of at least one millipede with a six foot long body. Still, though, there isn't enough oxygen in the atmosphere to support giant arthropods anymore. If the Chupacabra does exist, and is a new species, I would bet on an undiscovered canid or reptile.

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
Sorry, I was taking things literally. The largest insect to ever live was meganuera, but since millipedes and centipedes are not insects, I didn't think to include them. Arthropluera, a ten-foot long millipede, was the largest land invertabrate. It lived at the same time as meganuera.

In the ocean, the largest invertabrate was pterygotus, a 9 foot long sea-scorpian. It lived in the devonian, 400 mya.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Oh, duh... yeah, you're right. I was remembering watching something where they were talking about giant insects, and mentioned that there'd been something like a 7 ft centipede. But with all they time I've spent studying insects (and biology in general), you'd think I'd know better. Still, I doubt Chupa is a giant centipede/millipede anyways.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Uh... Well think of it like this. Fire burns hotter and faster if more oxygen is present, while insects grow larger, but both still exist in our lower O2 world.

So anyone read any good Paranormal/Mythical fiction lately?

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
@VampirateMace: Ive read 3 books recently that might fit your description.

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda: A world where vampires run the society and humans either live in hiding or are hunted in competions.

Dinosaur Wars by Thomas P. Hopp: A sentient race of dinosaurs that were preserved on the moon invade earth to reclaim there ancestral home.

Partials by Dan Wells: The human race has been reduced to about 40,000, due to a war against a race of genetically created super-humans.

All were very good reads, each over 200 pages.

Treecko's Awesomeness

Treecko is claimed!
@VampirateMace: Ive read 3 books recently that might fit your description.

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda: A world where vampires run the society and humans either live in hiding or are hunted in competions.

Dinosaur Wars by Thomas P. Hopp: A sentient race of dinosaurs that were preserved on the moon invade earth to reclaim there ancestral home.

Partials by Dan Wells: The human race has been reduced to about 40,000, due to a war against a race of genetically created super-humans.

All were very good reads, each over 200 pages.

Wow. Dinosaur Wars manages to sound like both something out of the mind of a six-year-old Micheal Bay and the greatest thing ever at the same time.
I believe that you have broken my brain.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I does sound like it has the potential to be really good or really bad.

Forgot to comment on my reading:

I've been digging into a lot of old Sci-Fi (like War of the Worlds which is so different from the movies) and Terror (which is often paranormal) lately. It’s great because they're classics for a reason, but with some authors (like H. P. Lovecraft for example) you have to be able to get past the fact they were brutally racist. But if you can manage that, you may be able to appreciate the subtle horror hidden in “Call of the Cthulhu” for all the surface events in the plot are no where near as horrifying as that one realization (NOTE: Warning, “Call of the Cthulhu” has passages containing Mature content).

Also read Dusted (via Kindle) which I believe to be aimed at teens. It’s got a few grammatical errors, but the plot manages to use a lot of mythical creatures without it feeling like too much.

Speaking of kid’s books My Sparkling Mistake is hilarious, an evil ‘wizard’ anciently captures a good spirit instead of the evil one he wanted.

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
Yeah, I personally really like the Dinosaur Wars books (there are 2, each 700 pages) but it might just be because I love dinosaurs. I do urge people to read it though, because aside from the dinosaurs, explosions and guns, there are a lot of underlying themes. Things like ecology, technological theories, immagration, and acceptance of different cultures. The second book has a lot of politics involved as well. It would be a good candidate for a movie.

I've read the term "cthulu" before. I have two questions about it, because I've never read the book.

1. What is cthulu?

2. and how the *&$% can anyone pronounce it? XD

"Dusted" sounds interesting. Would you mind describing it breifly without spoilers? It sounds like something I'd read.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Cthulhu, half-live being, an ancient monster, an elder god, or pre-god, or titan if you like. Generally I’ve heard it pronounced Ka-thu-lu, but it’s not intended to be easily pronounced.

Dusted is a about three teenagers, who get infected/poisoned with fairy dust and take on the characteristics of a witch, a werewolf, and a vampire. There’s a war going on between the fairies and the infected humans, but the main character (Crystal Ball, the witch... I know her name sounds corny, but there's a in story reason) has no intention of getting involved.

Grassmaster411

Dont, move, a muscle
Thanks. I normally don't read fantasy books, but I'll give Dusted a try once I get some more NOOK gift cards. I just bought Zoo by James patterson.

By the way, I encourage EVERY member of the club to read this book.
The Chaos, by Nalo Hopkinson. This book has every aspect of the unknown. It has doomsday theories, cryptids, witchs, mythical creatures, mosasaurs, teleportation, magic, Jamacan folk tales, and even a baba yaga (and no, its not a theropod.). It was very good, and I recomend it.

Also, I have a mystery/possible conspiracy theory. Remember a few months ago, when I posted the unfortunate death of Lonesome George, the last Galapagos Pinta tortoise? Well I've been following articles about his autopsy, and they are saying he died of old age. He was somewhere between the ages of 80 and 100. The problem with this is that giant tortoises can easily live to be 200, and Pinta's are no execption. So how could he die of old age if he was middle aged at the most? They don't specify either what effect of old age did him in. Nothing about liver, heart, or lung problems, no arthritis, nothing about how he died. And its already been several months. Certainly an extensive autopsy would have proved what he had died from. Heck, when the polar bear from the Berlin zoo died, they had the results of his autopsy out in a week. (It was an aneurism.)

So how did Lonesome George die?

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
My understanding is that most Galapagos Tortoises live to be just over 100, and according to Wikipedia only one has lived as long as 170 in captivity. So, no he wasn't middle aged. Wikipedia also says heart failure is suspect, but that's not definitive.

Dying of 'Old Age' is a huge topic in itself though, (sometimes it’s applied when there's no other apparent cause), but usually a specific age related disease can be found. Humans, and I assume animals too, actually stop aging (at about 94 for humans), but by then enough age-related damage is done.

Grabbing some new paranormal news stories for the first post, seeing as I've neglected that lately, should be up soon-ish.

Gotta agree with Vampirate about this. And why would anyone want to kill him? o__O

I'll read The Chaos sometime since I don't have much else to read. I've only read Dracula lately in terms of paranormal stuffz.

Cthulhu is like Dr. Norrington, except larger.

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
I'm not sure there was ever any suggestion that someone killed him on purpose, just that it was suspecious.

Dracula's good stuff, some traditional monsterage, none of that sparkly predatory fairy nonsense... except for how Hellsing drags on for two pages about the same single fact, that's annoying, don't you have nosferatu to hunt?

Let't try to use more detail when mentioning less known characters that have real people names...

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
Sorry for the delay guys. I have got a lot of things to do in real life (to be exact, it has to do with a girl). About Dracula, I've wanted to read the book, but, somewhy, I can't just read it. No, it isn't fear, I just can't concentrate. Also, I wanted to read Call of Chthullu (spelling?), but I can't find it anywhere (remember, I live in Brazil, so it wouldn't be helpful to say: "Have you ever searched on ***** Book Store? They are amazing"). Well, I don't think I 've got any kind of activity in the last days. Eventually I hear a legend about my school, but it isn't something that always happens. But well, I'm kinda busy as of now because of the girl I mentionated before.

P.S: If you wanna know more about the girl, check "The Advice Thread" on Miscellaneous Threads, on top of your Serebiiforums index page. BUUUUT, then you need to give me advice, ok?

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Status
Not open for further replies.