• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii & Pokexperto - The True Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Right guys, I figured you may as well be privvy to the details, I know he posted something similar to this on a Spanish Blog but I digress

A while back I received all the names, how I got that, is not relevant. However, I have been sitting on them for a while. When Empoleon was announced on Thursday, I checked and decided to begin a reveal to lead up a steady stream of names up to the release of the Prima Guide on April 6th.

So Friday, I exclusively revealed Grotle & Torterra. Melkor, a webmaster of a relatively unknown spanish site, somehow also got the names from some source and were worried that they would lose an exclusive, and thus they posted Infernape, Monferno & Prinplup. I of course posted these, with the correction for Drifblim. Later that evening, thanks to a thread here, the names Purugly & Skuntank were leaked through a gaming site, and thus I posted them. Melkor took this to be a further afront and posted Starvia, Staraptor, Kricketune, Bibarel & Stunky. At this point, I MSNed him asking him what he was doing to which he explained that he didn't want to lose his exclusive and was going to post them all. I, worried about the legal reprecussions (as I am now by the way) asked him what to stop him from doing it. He said for me to link to him whenever I revealed a name, but that the day of reveallings and the Pokémon revealed was completely up to me, I just had to notify him first. I reluctantly agreed to this due to the legal ramifications despite thinking that this was completely orchestrated to get him hits, which I still do.

This seemed to anger a lot of webmasters in the Spanish Pokemon Community including my friend Nil of PokemonSafari who felt that his methods were rather suspect.

I went along for three days revealing the names, determining the meanings and posting first with Pokexperto posting once they got back with links going both ways. Nil though, eager to slip Melkor up, posted Togekiss & Bastiodon this morning. I spoke to him and told him I'ld reveal Bastiodon tomorrow and so forth, but when Melkor came on he posted them thus causing me to post them to save face.

Now, after this, some stuff happened between Nil and Melkor which I am not privvy to the details, and I don't really care, however during this...a random new GameFAQs member posted the complete set of names, could be a coincidence. With this, I sorta panicked wondering what to do, whether to ignore, disregard or post. However, while considering this (and watching a damn good Stargate Atlantis episode I might add), I learned that a good number of european sites had already posted the list, with this, I decided to reluctantly post the names as you see them on the site. I could still get legal reprecussions but I doubt it as I was not the first person to release them.

But yeah, with those names, i figured the agreement was over and didnt count to it and so rdidn't link. He didn't like this and so went off on one about how I was a traitor, how he posted the names because I am a traitor (thus proving that he was the one to post them on GameFAQs? Who knows) and so forth, to stop the slander, I put the link back up as you see it now.

So yeah, thats the story. Any questions?

Logs Here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?p=5735796#post5735796

Last edited:

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Sure.

Why did this guy seem so much like Meowth346 to me? Seriously, the kid's tude reminded me of him and I thought we were back in 2002 all over again. Only this time with more trouble.

I am glad to know that SPP will not be sued. If anything, Nintendo will slap you on the wrist if you state your side of the story. Doubt THAT much legal trouble will come your way, my friend. Though, I support ya.

I have to admit, when I saw the update, Joe, I was like "Joe must be like the **** hit the fan."

Anyway, the legal troubles will be at best minimal if you keep to your story and not listen to the moronic masses. My advice is to tell Nintendo the truth, talk to a rep and hopefully things will blow over.

When I read the convo, he seemed all about hits. Nothing about thre heart of the deal, which I am convinced you have. You trickle info out for a reason. Not to make people mad. Just to keep on good terms with Nintendo. Has Nintendo contacted you, yet? If they do, then you should be concerned. And when that day comes, just act professionally.

Chris

Edit: You could always prosecute people for getting you into trouble and dumping this on you.

Last edited:
Right guys, I figured you may as well be privvy to the details, I know he posted something similar to this on a Spanish Blog but I digress

A while back I received all the names, how I got that, is not relevant. However, I have been sitting on them for a while. When Empoleon was announced on Thursday, I checked and decided to begin a reveal to lead up a steady stream of names up to the release of the Prima Guide on April 6th.

So Friday, I exclusively revealed Grotle & Torterra. Melkor, a webmaster of a relatively unknown spanish site, somehow also got the names from some source and were worried that they would lose an exclusive, and thus they posted Infernape, Monferno & Prinplup. I of course posted these, with the correction for Drifblim. Later that evening, thanks to a thread here, the names Purugly & Skuntank were leaked through a gaming site, and thus I posted them. Melkor took this to be a further afront and posted Starvia, Staraptor, Kricketune, Bibarel & Stunky. At this point, I MSNed him asking him what he was doing to which he explained that he didn't want to lose his exclusive and was going to post them all. I, worried about the legal reprecussions (as I am now by the way) asked him what to stop him from doing it. He said for me to link to him whenever I revealed a name, but that the day of reveallings and the Pokémon revealed was completely up to me, I just had to notify him first. I reluctantly agreed to this due to the legal ramifications despite thinking that this was completely orchestrated to get him hits, which I still do.

This seemed to anger a lot of webmasters in the Spanish Pokemon Community including my friend Nil of PokemonSafari who felt that his methods were rather suspect.

I went along for three days revealing the names, determining the meanings and posting first with Pokexperto posting once they got back with links going both ways. Nil though, eager to slip Melkor up, posted Togekiss & Bastiodon this morning. I spoke to him and told him I'ld reveal Bastiodon tomorrow and so forth, but when Melkor came on he posted them thus causing me to post them to save face.

Now, after this, some stuff happened between Nil and Melkor which I am not privvy to the details, and I don't really care, however during this...a random new GameFAQs member posted the complete set of names, could be a coincidence. With this, I sorta panicked wondering what to do, whether to ignore, disregard or post. However, while considering this (and watching a damn good Stargate Atlantis episode I might add), I learned that a good number of european sites had already posted the list, with this, I decided to reluctantly post the names as you see them on the site. I could still get legal reprecussions but I doubt it as I was not the first person to release them.

But yeah, with those names, i figured the agreement was over and didnt count to it and so rdidn't link. He didn't like this and so went off on one about how I was a traitor, how he posted the names because I am a traitor (thus proving that he was the one to post them on GameFAQs? Who knows) and so forth, to stop the slander, I put the link back up as you see it now.

So yeah, thats the story. Any questions?

Interesting..... You never now who spy's

EmosRock

Yes, I have a question. Is the site in any danger of being taken down? Have you gotten in contact with an administrator at gamefaqs? I'm sure they'd be happy to take action on the user who perpetrated this on their site.

Amaranth

Swag
Will Nintendo Be Angry Towards You ? I Fail To Think Why Its That ... That Caused This Crap, I Hope You Are Not Worrying Though As You Stuck To The Rules This Is Just Madness How Can Names Cause This :p

~ James

PikamasterADV

No hero. Never was.
I remember earlier in the year (or was it late last year?) there was a Pokemon site slandering this one all along their forums and whatnot?

I was just curious, wondering if Pokexperto was that site?

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
I remember earlier in the year (or was it late last year?) there was a Pokemon site slandering this one all along their forums and whatnot?

I was just curious, wondering if Pokexperto was that site?
Na, that was Pokebeach, thats still going on, in regards to this issue (http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=13123 & http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=12885). According to them, I stole the names off of Pokexperto even though most of the time (all the time except for the issue on Friday) I posted the names first...gotta love that logic. Its part of why I made this thread, to explain to the English community what was going on

game_mayhem

I'm too coo', foo'
Wow what a story I should say, very intersting. So you had all the names all along, and just posted them one by one, due to an aggrement? yes.

I do respect that you want to give the names one by one, and let the site have it's fame. I do hope that something happens to the person that reaveled them. Though i doubt, cause it's the internet that nothing big is going to happen to the person.

Serebii

Staff member
Admin
Joe. Did you read what I said at all?

Hate to think I wasted my time typing that.

LX
Sorry Chris, doing alot at one go. Another reason I was revealed the names in the morning was so I could spend the days working on my dissertation which is due in two weeks. However, this ****ed those plans.

Ledian_X

Don Ledianni
Joe. My Spanish is a little rusty but maybe I can give you a block of text that you can post on their board explaining things en espanol. All it will take is you posting a message here and I am willing to translate.

LX

Edit: Figured you'd be running yourself ragged as usual, Joe. Apology accepted.

Necesitas un mesajo en Espanol? Tengo que ayudar.

Last edited:

Cipher 2008

Well, whoever it was who did reveal them needs to be given many good swift kicks in more than the obvious place. I'd do it, but I'm sure you probably wanna do it a lot more than me, right? :p

How old is this guy, for Christ's sakes? Ten? Bloody hell, I've never known such immaturity.

NEO GOHAN

OVER NINE THOUSAAAND
what I don't get is why all these webmasters are making such a big deal over who reveals them first. Nintendo and other legal matters should come foremost, not some race to be first. plus, nobody likes sore losers who blame their loss on "theft". baseless accusations have a tendency of going WAY too far...

trapezechimpanz

That is very interesting!
When I was reading the names (before I even saw this thread) I was thinking you already had all the names! Then I came to the forums saw this thread and WALLAH! I was thinking right! hehe

Omega

Togepiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
0_o For all you know I could be a spy XD J/k I love serebii best site out there.

BUt for real I hope this doesnt cuase problems for serebii.net or serebii. Bummer that all the names had to be relesed at once.

There crazy if they think serebii stole anything.

koneko-chan

Contestshippey!
Well, that sucks D= Hope you don't get in trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.